Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bizou, yup they do a slimming world menu, fantastic breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Just been to relish,

great venue and lovley time had by all. nice food and well portioned. Good value and staff were service focused, friendly and effecient.

Will certainly be going back and I'd recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

The way things stand, it looks like Rupee in Drogheda will be closing after Tuesday night. The Bettystown restaraunt will remain open. I'll post up if I hear anything else. Heard this from their delivery driver last night.

Also on Relish, after hearing how the staff talked to some staff members from Dunnes Stores while I was in, I wont be going back. Telling them that they weren't allowed to remove their jackets because by wearing their uniforms they were not the type of customer they were looking for. Now in this day and age and the current economic climate I thought any customer would be a good customer. But perhaps not in Relish's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

markc1184 wrote: »
    The way things stand, it looks like Rupee in Drogheda will be closing after Tuesday night. The Bettystown restaraunt will remain open. I'll post up if I hear anything else. Heard this from their delivery driver last night.

That's a shame, their food is actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Also on Relish, after hearing how the staff talked to some staff members from Dunnes Stores while I was in, I wont be going back. Telling them that they weren't allowed to remove their jackets because by wearing their uniforms they were not the type of customer they were looking for. Now in this day and age and the current economic climate I thought any customer would be a good customer. But perhaps not in Relish's case.

Seriously:eek:, are you sure they weren't having a laugh with their neighbouring store workers? What was the tone? I've been into relish and haven't had any problems with their service.

• Advertisement

Seriously:eek:, are you sure they weren't having a laugh with their neighbouring store workers? What was the tone? I've been into relish and haven't had any problems with their service.

Seriously. My girlfriend happened to know one of the girls from Dunnes and they were all pretty upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

Also on Relish, after hearing how the staff talked to some staff members from Dunnes Stores while I was in, I wont be going back. Telling them that they weren't allowed to remove their jackets because by wearing their uniforms they were not the type of customer they were looking for. Now in this day and age and the current economic climate I thought any customer would be a good customer. But perhaps not in Relish's case.[/QUOTE]

That is UNBELIEVABLE!! Off my list now, so! That is crazy:eek:
    Pity about Rupee...didn't get to go after planning to for ages!:rolleyes:

furiousox wrote: »
    Antica Toscana's steaks range from E15.95 to E22.50.
    D'vine do a nice steak, can't remember the cost.
    There's a steakhouse in Slane, think it's The Poets Rest, haven't tried it yet.
    And of course there's the Seaboard, nice steaks but a bit on the dear side.

D'Vine steak is gorgeous...I think it's around 22 euro but there is a smaller steak with all the trimmings on the set menu. Would also highly recommend the calamari starte, which is also on the set menu-delish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Also on Relish, after hearing how the staff talked to some staff members from Dunnes Stores while I was in, I wont be going back. Telling them that they weren't allowed to remove their jackets because by wearing their uniforms they were not the type of customer they were looking for. Now in this day and age and the current economic climate I thought any customer would be a good customer. But perhaps not in Relish's case.

Stuff the Relish then!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its not that I'm saying that it didn't happen. But I do worry about how quick people are to condem a restraunt based on the word of one poster :P

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    That's a shame, their food is actually pretty good.

Do Rupee still do takeaway on the restaurant in town or is it only it Bettystown? Might give it a whirl-last chance saloon, tonight, perhaps?:(

Hit Bizou again today. Got the steak sandwhich which was amazing. The only complaint was the garlic butter was horrendous; it was a milimeter of garlic butter melted on top of about a centemeter of melted normal butter, meaning it just was like grease after one or two dips. Luckily, the steak was perfect, the chips and onion rings were just the way I like them.

Also hit Relish yesterday, and got a cajain chicken panini which was absolutly wonderful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Boo!
    We're boycotting Relish don't you know. ;)

CPL 593H

:P It's still the only place within walking distance of my house, so I'm afraid that outweighs the Dunnes story in the pros/cons section....

What do ye guys make of the Punjabi House?

I love it, personally, but I've heard comments of it being expensive. Personally I've sat in the restaurant and ordered takeaway from them, and for either one they'd be my first port of call for food (It's lovely) but I am curious to see if there is actually a cheaper alternative!?

I'm not the most adventurous with Indian food, but I do love the taste of their stuff.

I'm Curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

marvilly wrote: »
    Do Rupee still do takeaway on the restaurant in town or is it only it Bettystown? Might give it a whirl-last chance saloon, tonight, perhaps?:(

Yeah, they still do takeaway Marvilly. I love their food. The chettinad dish is class, cant get enough of it!

I'm also a fan of Punjabi House, KKV. I love their vindaloo, loads of spuds!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I love punjabi house. It is steep enough I guess. I always share mine though so it's not too bad for me, the portions are rediculous! Anyway its the best indian restaurant I've been to as far as im concerned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Another restaurant to eat in is Scholars in Kings Street, reasonable and delicious!

My wife and I ate at Scholar's last night (they did a Valentine's Night Special). Excellent food well cooked, and a great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Rossin wrote: »
    I went to jaffas on Satyrday for lunch.

I had been there during the summer and didnt enjoy it but as it used to be my favourite place for lunch I thought id give it another try.

I wish it would just go back to how it was in the first year or two it was open. Service was awful, 2-3 of us werent happy with our food. MEH!

Actually couldnt believe the waiters carry on but ill say no more, I dont want to get anyone in trouble :D

Actually I had some very tasty (and reasonably priced) Eggs Benedict for breakfast there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

one of the girls got a plate of mash as a side but it was cold in the middle. she asked a waiter to take it back and the waiter responded by saying "are you sure its cold, the plate feels quite warm"...if she had of put her finger in it she wouldve realised that it was hot on the outside and stone cold underneath! (Anyway was it not rude of the waiter to even say that??!!)

I got a taco panini(i think thats the name) and either they forgot to put the taco sauce on it or there was just so little you wouldnt see/notice it. dry

are these petty complaints? I dunno,I didnt feel satisfied leaving anyway, ill try it again in a while. I have a few more places to try first judging by some of the recent reviews

Jaffas was my fave place to go for YEARS, so dont think I want to come down hard on them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I had a very negative visit to Jaffas recently also. I posted it earlier in the thread.

Uncooked chips and they did not offer to replace them

A shrug shoulders attitude from staff.

Very disappointed as used to be one of my favourite places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Quality wrote: »
    went to jaffas with my mam and kids last week and it was pure muck, the usual .chef wasnt on.

the girl taking our order could not understand english so we were of to a bad start with having to repeat several times our order.

then meal came toasty sambos for kids were burnt toast and cheese not melted, my mam had chicken pie that was too salty and i had lasagne

all our chips were undercooked soggy and oily.

never had a complaint before in the place before and was sooo disappointed. when we complained about food we were not even offered to have them replaced. so they were just left for the bin

the regular chef i would normally see was not there

wont be going back.

Previous experience

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dubdee

Sorry to see that Cosmos on Trinity St has closed down in the last few weeks. We live close by & got very fond of it but I don't think it even lasted 6 months as it always seemed to be empty! I think that's about 3 restaurants in as many years that have opened & closes in that unit. I'll miss my sushi & Korean BBQ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

Personally I'm not too fond of Punjabi...haven't been in a good while as I found most of the sauces too similar...their Bhuna and Rogan Josh seem to be the same. Also my gf got a hair in her food from there one night...that was the end of there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

muckyprawn wrote: »
    ... Also my gf got a hair in her food from there one night...that was the end of there for me.

While it's hardly pleasant to find another person's hair in your food, it's not the end of the world either. Apart from baldies, everbody has hair, and we all shed hairs everyday. Every restaurant, no matter how good their procedures, is bound to have some hair in the food at some point in time; the law of averages would dictate that. And most people wash their hair regularly, so the chances of transmitting disease would be fairly slim.

Now, if you were finding hairs every single time...

Based on the opinions I think I'll stick with the Punjabi, so.

As I say I'm not the most adventurous. Same order from me the whole time :P (chicken pakora or chicken samosa, along with chicken curry, coriander naan, chips and boiled rice).

What's the crack with chicken pakora!? It's the nicest chicken I think I've ever tasted. Is there anywhere you can buy it? Like to do at home yourself or such? Feckin' lovely.

Their chips leave a lot to be desired, though (though I'd imagine they're not a huge seller anyway?).

EDIT: Speaking of chips, Burke's (on Peter St.) have lovely chips. I love their chips, sausages and burgers. Their eggs aren't bad either. I do notice their sausages tend to change though. I got sausages before from their "kids menu" section of the menu and they were delicious. Ordered them another time with different food and they were nice but not the same. Not sure if they actually have different sausages depending on what you order (I doubt it) or they were just going through different sausage brand or something, but I thought they went downhill fast.

Must order sausages in there sometime again. Get some closure! :P

Big fan of Smythstown Diner, too. Smythstown special (fry up) is the best fry up I've ever had in the town. I've had fry ups in a fair few different places around the town (and Dundalk/Dublin) and nowhere comes close to Smythstown. The place is a bit out of the way, but it's definitely worth it. I'm a hungry fat bastard, but a Smythstown special in the morning has often filled me for the whole day (though it's been a while since I got one). Must take a trip out there sometime soon and see if they're still up to the same level. If ye're looking for a solid fry up though, for less than a tenner if i recall correctly (with extra toast and rasher, with tea) that's the place to go.

Not a huge fan of Genoa for sitting in. Not bad for takeaways (though Giulio's are superior, in my opinion) but I don't think they're much cop for sitting in when eating. Always feel oddly out of place.

Also find Bizou a bit cramped. I like Bru though. Menu is acting a bit posher than it needs to be, but their food (steak and chips with pepper sauce when I was last there) was good.

Well that's my life story. I'm here all week, folks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I haven't tried Punjabi House in a long time - last time I tried their take away, it was just okay, not bad but nothing exceptional. KKV, give Rupee a go if you get a chance - their mangowala (curry with mango in it) is very good (exceptional even, if you have a bit of a sweet tooth :D).

And the best take away chips that I know of is still at Woks' cooking. I don't know if they add anything to it - it's just really chunky and yummy.

So, are there any thai places left in town now? I have grown tired of Indian, Chinese and the various noodle concoctions as well, and wouldn't mind going for some proper thai (shame Lemon Grass packed up, and Pink Elephant.. :( ).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

muckyprawn wrote: »
    ... Also my gf got a hair in her food from there one night...that was the end of there for me.

While it's hardly pleasant to find another person's hair in your food, it's not the end of the world either. Apart from baldies, everbody has hair, and we all shed hairs everyday. Every restaurant, no matter how good their procedures, is bound to have some hair in the food at some point in time; the law of averages would dictate that. And most people wash their hair regularly, so the chances of transmitting disease would be fairly slim.

Now, if you were finding hairs every single time...

Well an opinion was ASKED....and that was mine. If a hair in food isn't off puttting I don't know what is. Especially as this looked liked it was off the arse end of a donkey.
    Also I don't ever remember having a hair in food anywhere else...you must dine in some fine establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

All this talk of Indian food has me starving.
    Never tried Punjabi before but ill give it a go. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Walked by Rupee this evening and noticed the sign was still outside so went and asked about them closing. They are open until this weekend and then it's closing. He said the the Bettystown restaraunt will still cater for any take aways on a trial basis.

Advertisement