Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I think they are a bit of a victim of their own success. The place is way too crowded, and ends up very noisy and very congested feeling. May be they will expand, or will go more exclusive (up the prices etc perhaps).

Having said that I am glad we have them - their food is nice indeed, and they have proven that it's possible to start and run a successful business, off the beaten track, in recessionary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gordon hatch

positron wrote: »
    I think they are a bit of a victim of their own success. The place is way too crowded, and ends up very noisy and very congested feeling. May be they will expand, or will go more exclusive (up the prices etc perhaps).

Having said that I am glad we have them - their food is nice indeed, and they have proven that it's possible to start and run a successful business, off the beaten track, in recessionary times.

Judging by the layout of the business I don't think they had intimate dining foremost in their minds. I think it was aiming for a mix where families could be comfortable in bringing their children along and then after 9 or whatever adult couples could arrive and be sure that they will get a nice dining experience. I agree Postiron: It can get noisy alright but at least we know there's life in the place, nothing worse than going to a quiet restaurant if you ask me. Dinner is and should always be a social experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    I'm not pushed on Eastern Seaboard either. It's not the food, it's nice, it's more the atmosphere and the surroundings. I really don't like the decor, the ceiling with all the piping going across annoys the hell out of me, I feel like I'm walking into a factory. It's not a place that I'd go on a romantic date.

It's stark during the day, but I think that it really works at night when it's dark outside and lit up at night. I was there a few weeks before Christmas in the evening and I really thought the place felt warm and special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

second trip to harpers on the key.

fast enough service, decor still nice. But the overall service wasn't great. the menu items dont seem to match the products being delivered. I ordered the curry last time which it described as creamy but was tomato based and not what I'd escrib as creamy at all.

Friend ordered coffe with marshmellows but no marshmellows arrived.

scones dont come with cream unless you ask for it and they were rock hard.

one waitress bumped into my friend and she replied 'sorry madam'!!! we just looked at each and stared in disbelief that anyone would actully say that.

Wouldn't rush there again and it's a real shame. The owner needs to get a grip on service and quality being delivered. The waiting staff while functional and efficient lack and charisma or sense of what is really required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Lantus wrote: »
    one waitress bumped into my friend and she replied 'sorry madam'!!! we just looked at each and stared in disbelief that anyone would actully say that...

Service Industry Shocker: staff member was actually polite to a customer.
    By a staff reporter.

The entire food service industry was close to melt down late last night as it emerged that a waitress apologised to a customer after bumping in to her. Not only that, but the waitress even addressed the customer by a polite title.

A restaurant spokesman said today "Obviously we are treating the incident very seriously, and have initiated a full investigation. The staff member involved has been suspended on full pay pending the outcome of said investigation. The allegation is a serious one; obviously, if a member of our staff is found to have addressed a customer as 'Sir' or 'Madam', we would regard that as grave indeed. If the staff member actually apologised at the same time, then that would be grounds for instant dismissal. Obviously we cannot allow our staff to be polite to the customers."

Meanwhile, diner Lantus (45) said...
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

what was wrong with the apology lantus?

'madam' is sooo wrong, it should have been 'madame'! :D

We got a fairly large order from Rupee for a small party at home. Of the things we ordered, chicken korma, chicken mango wala and peshawari naan (naan with sweet filling) were all well appreciated by the guests. The pilau rice was nice and fluffy too. At approx 8-10 euro per main dish, it's priced okay, and tastes nice, although korma in particular felt a bit thin on chicken.

I would recommend them, considering how well it all tasted, and how everyone went for second (and more) helpings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Service Industry Shocker: staff member was actually polite to a customer.
    By a staff reporter.

The entire food service industry was close to melt down late last night as it emerged that a waitress apologised to a customer after bumping in to her. Not only that, but the waitress even addressed the customer by a polite title.

A restaurant spokesman said today "Obviously we are treating the incident very seriously, and have initiated a full investigation. The staff member involved has been suspended on full pay pending the outcome of said investigation. The allegation is a serious one; obviously, if a member of our staff is found to have addressed a customer as 'Sir' or 'Madam', we would regard that as grave indeed. If the staff member actually apologised at the same time, then that would be grounds for instant dismissal. Obviously we cannot allow our staff to be polite to the customers."

Meanwhile, diner Lantus (45) said...
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

apology was good of course! the way it said perhaps cannot be conveyed.
    I just thought it was a really antiquated saying? so did everyone else there. a minor minor point. it's the service and food which matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

dudara wrote: »
    Hard to go past the Eastern Seaboard - In fact, I'd travel from Dublin to go there. Love the interior decor and the food is creative with lots of fish specials. The owners are lovely, friendly people.

The Eastern Seaboard is not a standard type restaurant, like a lot of venues in Drogheda (you know the kind, curry & lasagne on their menu). It is trying to be more creative, and that's probably why some posters would rather go elsewhere.

It's been getting great press lately, and it's popularity is going to soar soon

+1 for Eastern Seaboard. Best restuarant in town by a country mile.
    Love the food,service and surroundings.
    No coincidence that this has been the busiest restaurant in Drogheda since it opened 2 years ago.
    Footfall speaks for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

im going to be in drogheda in a couple of weeks, its both mine and the wifes birthday that week so we are looking to go out for a meal on sat nite..
    im semi local, went to school in st olivers and worked in town for a good while but i live in the west now, so i wouldnt have a clue whats around now, so does anyone have any recomendations
    wife not cracked on seafood so eastern seaboard is probably out

woody1 wrote: »

Despite the name, they are not an exclusively seafood serving restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

im going to be in drogheda in a couple of weeks, its both mine and the wifes birthday that week so we are looking to go out for a meal on sat nite..
    im semi local, went to school in st olivers and worked in town for a good while but i live in the west now, so i wouldnt have a clue whats around now, so does anyone have any recomendations

D'vine or Schoalers maybe?
    Eastern Seaboard is worth a visit though, although it is out of town a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah sorry, had had a quick look at the menu a few weeks ago and all i saw was seafood, never scrolled down so made a presumption,doh.. checked it again there and it looks interesting all right ..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

Try the Salt House, great food nice staff. Well worth a visit, book early as its a small place and will fill up quickley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Anyone got thoughts on Chanco's? Heading tonight, but not been before. More of a King of Kings man when it comes to Chinese food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Haven't been in a good while, but I always enjoyed it. Food is nice and the staff are pleasant. Not too expensive either.

King of kings is like the only place ive never been to, even though ive heard great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Was at KOK a few days ago picking up an order and seen they take delivery orders now! :D
    Bout time, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Enjoyed Chanco's. Nice food, good athmosphere and friendly staff. Will go back again.

Agree it's about time KOK started the delivery service. Also has anyone noticed a difference in the food over the last maybe 6 weeks since they changed chefs? Difference in a good way though. Really enjoy some of the new items they have, especially the samosa's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

If you are up looking at St olivers and you like Chinese I would recommend Tangos just beside it. The all you can eat menu is very good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Popped into Tommy Hanrattys for lunch today.

I had Beef Stew, herself had a BLT and chips.
    Delicious i have to say, and reasonably priced also.
    Great pints also if that takes your fancy.

I had not been in for a long time to Tommy Hanrattys, will go back soon for sure based on todays lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Last time i went past Hanrattys the restaurant place upstairs was closed. Its re opened then?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Went to Rendevous in Mell for first time on Friday night. They had a special French menu along with the regular one. Have to say that the quality was first class and not expensive for what we had. Will definately be back there and would recommend anyone to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Last time i went past Hanrattys the restaurant place upstairs was closed. Its re opened then?

Not sure if upstairs has reopened, i had my lunch in the lounge .
    Seems to be trying to push the food aspect again, offering special offers on Sunday lunches etc.
    But the grub we had on saturday was excellent, so will be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

CMpunked wrote: »
    Was at KOK a few days ago picking up an order and seen they take delivery orders now! :D
    Bout time, too!
    Havent they been doing that for ages or maybe am confusing it with a take outs facility?

KOK would be my default chine-eez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Went into the Salthouse on Saturday. Was just looking for somewhere quick to have a bite. Very much impressed. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is gorgeous. Had a avocado salad to start with local cheese, DH had smoked salmon, had slow roast pork belly and he had steak.
    Mostly locally produced products and highlighted on the menu which is nice to see where your food is coming from.
    The atmosphere was lovely too.
    Will definitely return when I have more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Achilles24

The eastern seaboard is without doubt the best drogheda has to offer... Their chicken wings are phenomenal!! What is that sauce they are served in?? ANYONE??!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

After all this time, I managed to get to the Eastern Seaboard for the first time last night, so it was a case of seeing for myself if all the upbeat posts and first time regs promoting the ES were in fact justified.

It was all it could have been and so much more! The food was simply delicious, fillet steak so tender it simply fell apart. While there are a few spots in Drogheda I like to frequent, I don't think I could visit them as much, knowing what the ES has to offer and at pretty normal prices.

I will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Achilles24 wrote: »
    The eastern seaboard is without doubt the best drogheda has to offer... Their chicken wings are phenomenal!! What is that sauce they are served in?? ANYONE??!

Cajun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Achilles24

Think its more than cajun... im thinking along the lines of a sweet and sour sauce, with chilli and maybe has honey in it... would love to find out...

Advertisement