Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Emma1980 wrote: »
    your account will start at minus 100euro - when ur account reaches plus 12euro, your bin will be collected! So u need to pay the 100euro plus 2 lifts in advance to receive a service!

It's not clear from the letter. Since paying the annual service fee of €100 is essentially the same process as a top-up, you might be able to put on just €106 to clear one black-bin lift and the annual fee, since that's greater than €12.

I put on €120, since that would cover the annual fee and my usual cost for three months of lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

tomasrojo wrote: »
    TishyO wrote: »
    No its not €12 for a bin lift. The minimum amount you can credit your account with is €12 so you must have that amount in your account at all time to have your bin lifted. If your black and brown bin are lifted on the same day that is €8 leaving €4 so you will need to top up your account before your bins are lifted again.

I got the impression that you must have sufficient funds for the lift that the personnel are about to perform, rather than €12.

It said in the letter:
    Customers are required to ensure that their Greyhound account has sufficient funds to meet the current cost of each black and brown bin lift.

Customers who do not have sufficient funds in their account for the cost of a Black or Brown bin will not have their bin collected.

I would have thought that they would specifically have mentioned a requirement that you have at least €12 in your account before any lift is performed.

Sorry maybe I should have worded my post better. The minimum you can top up your account by is €12 so for your bins to be lifted for the first time you need to pay them €100 (annual charge) and €12 (bin lifts).

I can see a lot of angry calls to Greyhound in a couple of weeks with people complaining their bins weren't lifted only for them to be told "you only have €2 in your account". I preferred the DCC payment scheme, invoiced for your usage, paid direct debit and I didn't have to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sorry maybe I should have worded my post better. The minimum you can top up your account by is €12 so for your bins to be lifted for the first time you need to pay them €100 (annual charge) and €12 (bin lifts).

Ah, I see. I do wonder though, as I said, whether paying the annual fee is in effect a top-up (in the sense that you're putting money on your card), so perhaps you could put €106 on the first time to get your sticker for the green bin and one black-bin lift, since €106 is greater than €12 minimum for a "top-up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

counsellors are demanding a meeting regarding it after a lot of complaints.
    Its on rte news, cant post the link cuz im on my mobile!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Emma1980 wrote: »
    counsellors are demanding a meeting regarding it after a lot of complaints.
    Its on rte news, cant post the link cuz im on my mobile!

Councillors are mostly useless c**ts though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

nudger wrote: »
    I was Monday green bin too (Navan road) that's changed to Tuesday.

We were the same on navan road. So this week they should have collected green bin as it has been two weeks since it was collected but no they collected the black bin, we didnt get our letter until today and missed the collection, my bins are over flowing with rubbish so bad i had to empty the green bin last night and burn all the paper and cardboard which annoyed me cos were very strict on recycling!

So far greyhound are NOT impressing me at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Today (wednesday 18th) was our green bin day under DCC, knowbody I know here on blackhorse ave upper (D7) has got a letter/info pack from greyhound so we all have our green bins out for collection as we did under DCC, lets see what happens...just spoke with the postman & he confirms no letters delivered as yet except a few in a newish estate near the old racecource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Councillor Perry who is and has been for a long time an anti bin charge campaigner in the Cabra area was on the radio yesterday saying that councillors from all the parties voted to accept the charges.
    He did not say they voted unanimously but that some from all the main parties voted to accept them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

blondie7 wrote: »
    We were the same on navan road. So this week they should have collected green bin as it has been two weeks since it was collected but no they collected the black bin, we didnt get our letter until today and missed the collection, my bins are over flowing with rubbish so bad i had to empty the green bin last night and burn all the paper and cardboard which annoyed me cos were very strict on recycling!

So far greyhound are NOT impressing me at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you miss the special collection they did on Saturday 7th, I knew nothing about it but the neighbour put my bin out for me.
    I recon you will see a lot more empty box's from cereals etc at the packing area of supermarkets from now on.
    Always thought it was a bit stupid but now?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

OK, Anyone switched bin Collectors in Dublin this week? Who did You go with? And why? I don't want to be forced into using one company because some unelected arsehole in Dublin City Council decided that We all have a load of money in Our bank accounts after Christmas.

I contacted all Councillor's in The Clontarf area, And Gerry Breen was the only one who DID NOT contacted Me back, All the others said that they ware opposed to the way the new changes ware introduced without any prier notification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

councils all over the country have voting pacts between the main parties. whether its a FG/LAB/FF dominated council, all of them collabarate to pass votes.

The councillors are only playing lip service to publising the conditions in the contract because they realise there is a back lash and as elected officials they are the only ones accountable to the public. (The only ones who can face consequences).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

What happens if you're renting and you leave the residence in a few months - can you get the remainder of the €100 + whatever credit you have back?

I have just emailed all the councillors here in D7,Cabra / Glasnevin & North Inner City , here are the replys so far.
    Cllr Christy Burke North Inner City (Independent)
    " There was no vote it was a City managers call At the debate i spoke against the transfare .That was last monday week in City hall .This morning i have sent a motion to the lord mayor calling for a Spl C C meeting on the matter"
    Cllr Claire O’Regan North Inner City (Labour)
    "There was no vote. The Labour group on the City Council opposed the privatisation of the waste collection service, but under the Protection of the Environment Act 2003, which was enacted by Fianna Fail, the decision to privatise the service was within the power of Dublin City Council management ONLY, NOT elected councillors. The Councillors issued motions and voted on a number of occasions to oppose the privatisation, but our wishes were ignored by the Council management who were under no obligation to take any notice of any motions. Neither we we made aware of the payment in advance provision."
    Councillor Mary O'Shea Cabra / Glasnevin (Fine Gael)
    I too am outraged in relation to the treament of DCC customers.
    In relation to voting,the direct answer is that I did not vote as there was no vote in relation to the transfer of the bin collection.The Waste Management Act 1996 allows management alone to make the decision.In the interests of clarity I voted for the budget which was passed on the basis of DCC exiting the waste management collection market.The vote was 33 for,1 against and 9 abstensions.The 1 against was Jim O'Callaghan the FF Councillor from Pembroke Rathmines.I supported the budget and the exit from the market as it would have been irresponsible to do otherwise and support the provision of a service which it cost the Council €45 million to provide and which generated an income of €20million.
    I am apalled at the manner in which DCC management has handled this matter as I too and all of my fellow Councillors were promised a seamless transfer.
    I trust that this clarifies my position on the matter.

Cllr Mary Fitzpatrick ( Fianna Fail) a cop out reply, I actually included my name & location in my question
    Thank you for your email. In order for me to adequately represent my constituency I must prioritise my workload by addressing emails with residential contact details verifiable from the electoral register for my area. Pleas send me your home address and a contact number and I will be happy to then address your email. Thanks, Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

nudger wrote: »
    Did you miss the special collection they did on Saturday 7th, I knew nothing about it but the neighbour put my bin out for me.
    I recon you will see a lot more empty box's from cereals etc at the packing area of supermarkets from now on.
    Always thought it was a bit stupid but now?

Yea i missed that collection, never knew about it until the next morning when i saw a few empty bins on the road. At this rate with greyhound i think ill just have to burn all my waste! (thank god for open fires :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

lensman wrote: »
    I have just emailed all the councillors here in D7,Cabra / Glasnevin & North Inner City , here are the replys so far.
    Cllr Christy Burke North Inner City (Independent)
    " There was no vote it was a City managers call At the debate i spoke against the transfare .That was last monday week in City hall .This morning i have sent a motion to the lord mayor calling for a Spl C C meeting on the matter"
    Cllr Claire O’Regan North Inner City (Labour)
    "There was no vote. The Labour group on the City Council opposed the privatisation of the waste collection service, but under the Protection of the Environment Act 2003, which was enacted by Fianna Fail, the decision to privatise the service was within the power of Dublin City Council management ONLY, NOT elected councillors. The Councillors issued motions and voted on a number of occasions to oppose the privatisation, but our wishes were ignored by the Council management who were under no obligation to take any notice of any motions. Neither we we made aware of the payment in advance provision."
    I'll post other replys as I get them.

So what exactly do councillors do? If the power to make decisions lies with the City/County manager why bother have councillors at all. Who is the manager accountable to?

So what exactly do councillors do? If the power to make decisions lies with the City/County manager why bother have councillors at all. Who is the manager accountable to?

The Underpaid Public sector apariatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

Got my letter yesterday, logged on, paid the 100 and added 24, getting my bins emptied tomorrow. green ones next week. No biggie tbh.

lardossan wrote: »
    Got my letter yesterday, logged on, paid the 100 and added 24, getting my bins emptied tomorrow. green ones next week. No biggie tbh.

It Must be nice to have a spare €124.00 after Christmas.

any chance of a loan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Isn't it well for some?!

• Advertisement

oh cry me a river.

Moron

oh cry me a river.
    ehh, that would be water pollution, ...so no loan then?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tiuilip

Hi,
    We're in D12 and thinking of going with Thorntons too but if I understand correctly they need to deliver new bins and either they or Greyhound collect the old bins? Does anyone have any experience of having old bins collected-did it happen and how long were you waiting? Hope to rent out the house soon and garden is tiny enough without having 6 bins in it!
    Thanks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Has anyone else tried to the reduce the size of their so the charge will be less ?

I have just been told it will be 30e for a new bin :mad:

this is the response i got
    The letter issued to all customers in the Dublin City Council area was distributed within the first two weeks in January. Upon receipt of this letter customers are encouraged to pay the annual service charge of €100 within 30 days from January 16th 2012 to ensure a seamless service from Greyhound Recycling. Green bins will continue to be collected up until February 16th 2012 if the annual service charge has not yet been paid. The bar coded label is issued to all customers upon receipt of the annual charge payment.

irishbird wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried to the reduce the size of their so the charge will be less ?

can you clarify ? do you mean drop from a 240ltr to a 140ltr bin? which bin company are you talking about ? I just seen your expanded/edited reply,..so DCC are seeking to blame us for the non seamless transfer,..some neck.

irishbird wrote: »

FFS, Does this mean that the Recycling company's are NOT recycling the DCC bins? Jesus if this country gets any more backward I'm moving to Afghanistan. ****ing hell.

Bistoman wrote: »
    Moron

Why, because I pointed out that it's fairly straightforward to use their website and because I live within my own means? I guess then yes, I am a moron.

lensman wrote: »
    can you clarify ? do you mean drop from a 240ltr to a 140ltr bin? which bin company are you talking about ? I just seen your expanded/edited reply,..so DCC are seeking to blame us for the non seamless transfer,..some neck.

Yeah, i want to change my black bin frrom 240 ltr to 140 ltr - i put my black bin out 2 twice a year and usually it is only because it smells.

the annual charge is 88e for the 140 ltr bin but they want 30e to give me a new bin.

the black bin i have, has no lid and one of the wheels is broken. i have no idea how old it is. i have had it for 8 years and i dont know how long the previous owners had it for. i think i have more than paid for a new bin

• Advertisement

Why, because I pointed out that it's fairly straightforward to use their website and because I live within my own means? I guess then yes, I am a moron.

dont you get it - it is not just about the money. it is about the way people have been treated.

Plus, i have just paid my 100e household charge and now all of a sudden, i have pay another 100e for the bins plus i will have the 40e for DCC final bin lifts.

there should have been some prior notice and warning about this charge, so allow people to budget

Advertisement