Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

nudger wrote: »
    I was Monday green bin too (Navan road) that's changed to Tuesday.

Yeah, road completely cleared today of green bags.

Black is usually Monday, is that changed to Wednesday now do you know as I couldn't get through to Greyhound at all today.
    What a nightmare.

And that annual charge for bins should be quarterly - DCC ought to be fckin ashamed of themsleves with this transfer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have just emailed them and told them they had 3 working days to respond to my mail or i would just assume they were agreeing to me bring my recycleable rubbish to their office in Knockmitten Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Dodge wrote: »
    How are unions to blame for the Council deciding to privatise a service?

Unions had to negotiate on behalf of DCC bin men and these men are now getting re-deployed. They could have balloted for strike action.

The men really feel that the union let them down. Remember when Minister Brennan tried to privatise Dublin Bus - those workers soon stopped that because they have a good strong union. This union may be shortly tested again.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Black bags collected today on Echlin St, D8... by a Dublin City Council truck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Ive noticed that the Brown and Black bin collections are the same day. Are they going to send two trucks out i.e. 1 for black and 1 for brown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

irishbird wrote: »
    i have just emailed them and told them they had 3 working days to respond to my mail or i would just assume they were agreeing to me bring my recycleable rubbish to their office in Knockmitten Lane.
    you should send them an invoice for your fuel, payable within 30 days. back date the invoice 31 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

gambiaman wrote: »
    Yeah, road completely cleared today of green bags.

Black is usually Monday, is that changed to Wednesday now do you know as I couldn't get through to Greyhound at all today.
    What a nightmare.

And that annual charge for bins should be quarterly - DCC ought to be fckin ashamed of themsleves with this transfer.

If you go on to their site you can put in your street/road and the collection day should come up.
    We are Tuesday for all bins, Black/Brown together and green by itself.
    DCC don't give a crap, they made a profit selling it and no more headaces.

Ive noticed that the Brown and Black bin collections are the same day. Are they going to send two trucks out i.e. 1 for black and 1 for brown?

The trucks have separate compartments.

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Black bags collected today on Echlin St, D8... by a Dublin City Council truck

DCC only hired their trucks so Greyhound have now carried on that hire, will be painted later I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Is it ok to use the bins at the bus stops? I presume your not breaking any laws putting your rubbish in them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

cosmic wrote: »
    Just spoke to a lovely, really helpful, guy in Thorntons and I'm signing up online tonight. Greyhound can go f*ck themselves, in my opinion.

Just checked their website..more expensive? 7.50 per black bin as opposed to 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Is it ok to use the bins at the bus stops? I presume your not breaking any laws putting your rubbish in them?

There is a law or possibly a byelaw about putting domestic waste in a public litter bin... I'll see if I can find it. I'm pretty sure the litter warden can fine you for it.

EDIT

Found it: Litter Polution Act 1997 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0012/print.html

3.—(1) No person shall deposit any substance or object so as to create litter in a public place or in any place that is visible to any extent from a public place.

(2) No person shall—

(a) deposit any thing that is commercial, household, industrial or municipal waste in any place for collection by or on behalf of a local authority or by another person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 newbeginning

ok, suppose we all deal with our black bin waste ourselves. (up to each household) The green bins were free for a reason, so where can we recycle this stuff still for free??? I'd hate to have to pay for it, seeing as it makes the collection company money anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Put a Skip in your front garden once its covered should not be a problem

ok, suppose we all deal with our black bin waste ourselves. (up to each household) The green bins were free for a reason, so where can we recycle this stuff still for free??? I'd hate to have to pay for it, seeing as it makes the collection company money anyway!

We're new to Dublin. Just got the letter today from greyhound. My understanding is 100 for year, to be paid within the next month.

Their charges are 6 per Black bin, 2 per brown bin, which will be deducted from this upfront credit.

Green bin (recylable) will be free once you have paid the 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Finally got my letter today. Bins now collected on Thursdays, black and green on alternate weeks. Thankfully the the black bin doesn't need to go out tomorrow.

Has anyone registered and received their green bin barcode label. If so how long did it take? I don't hold out much hope of receiving before next weeks collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Where in Dublin are you? I just emailed them to see if they had plans to service Dublin 11 - would prefer to use them than greyhound

I'm based in Crumlin. These are the areas they cover:
    http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-collection-areas
    adamkane wrote: »
    How will arrears be collected by Greyhound?

Good luck to Greyhound getting my arrears. I'm moving to another company and have no intention, whatsoever, of paying what I owe from last year. Tough sh*t for Greyhound.

We're new to Dublin. Just got the letter today from greyhound. My understanding is 100 for year, to be paid within the next month.

Their charges are 6 per Black bin, 2 per brown bin, which will be deducted from this upfront credit.

Green bin (recylable) will be free once you have paid the 100.

I don't think that is correct. My reading of it was you have to pay the €100 and then pay a minimum of €12 in for bin lifts.

TishyO wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct. My reading of it was you have to pay the €100 and then pay a minimum of €12 in for bin lifts.

It's different rates in different areas, In Dublin North it's €6 + €2 and the green free once you pay the €100 up front.
    This does not get drawn on, you have to then have money in credit also to pay for the lifts.

You can top up your account on line or at the post office or at shops using payzone.

It's different rates in different areas, In Dublin North it's €6 + €2 and the green free once you pay the €100 up front.
    This does not get drawn on, you have to then have money in credit also to pay for the lifts.

You can top up your account on line or at the post office or at shops using payzone.

Thats what I said you have to pay the €100 up front and the minimum you can top up your account is €12. The other poster seemed to think that bin lifts would be deduced from the €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I had a bit of an issue with Thorntons:

The bill for the annual €50 charge came in - no advanced notice, to be paid online using the card. I paid the €50, but instead of being used for annual charge, it was being decremented by bin lifts. I didn't know this until they stopped taking the bin saying I didn't pay my annual fee.

Several phone call later - all is sorted, until they stopped taking the green bin.
    Several more phone call later - apparently the green bin was registered as a black bin and it wasn't been collected as I didn't top up my card.

So I asked them how many times have I been charged for green bin lifts?
    They have yet to reply.

Thats what I said you have to pay the €100 up front and the minimum you can top up your account is €12. The other poster seemed to think that bin lifts would be deduced from the €100.

Sorry picked you up wrong, thought you were saying €12 for the lifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 newbeginning

and sorry also - should have clarified. I don't want to give them €100 which is held on account, which is non refundable etc to avail of a FREE service! There must be some company out there that collects the green bin/recycleable waste for free! (without any downpayments etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

If you go on to their site you can put in your street/road and the collection day should come up.
    We are Tuesday for all bins, Black/Brown together and green by itself.
    DCC don't give a crap, they made a profit selling it and no more headaces.

Street not on it, tried every combo!
    Two streets away is Monday so I'm thinking that may be it. Maybe not.
    Who knows? Not even Greyhound knows!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

One truck came late this morning to Kilmainham, and as said already it still bears the DCC livery. They picked up black bins only; they skipped my brown bin, though since it was the sole brown bin outside the housing complex I'm not sure whether they were skipping just my brown bin for some reason or whether they were skipping all brown bins.

To be honest, I don't know. I will call tomorrow and update. That was how I read it.

But certainly didn't read it as 12 per bin lift. I read it that I pay 100 now & set it up so that when my credit runs down to 12 euro - at a rate of 6 (black) or 2 (brown) per lift), I can authorize them to to automatically top-up my account a chosen amount ranging from 12 (Min) to 50. This would ensure I am always in credit and they will collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

Is there an issue with Data Protection? Are DCC able to just hand over details of customers names, addresses and account details? I don't think there is a formal contract that we as a receipient of DCC waste services signed up to? Thus there are no T&C's that you can refer to that says your details will be forwared to the next services provider...??? Or am I way off here?

To be honest, I don't know. I will call tomorrow and update. That was how I read it.

But certainly didn't read it as 12 per bin lift. I read it that I pay 100 now & set it up so that when my credit runs down to 12 euro - at a rate of 6 (black) or 2 (brown) per lift), I can authorize them to to automatically top-up my account a chosen amount ranging from 12 (Min) to 50. This would ensure I am always in credit and they will collect.

No its not €12 for a bin lift. The minimum amount you can credit your account with is €12 so you must have that amount in your account at all time to have your bin lifted. If your black and brown bin are lifted on the same day that is €8 leaving €4 so you will need to top up your account before your bins are lifted again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

your account will start at minus 100euro - when ur account reaches plus 12euro, your bin will be collected! So u need to pay the 100euro plus 2 lifts in advance to receive a service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

No its not €12 for a bin lift. The minimum amount you can credit your account with is €12 so you must have that amount in your account at all time to have your bin lifted. If your black and brown bin are lifted on the same day that is €8 leaving €4 so you will need to top up your account before your bins are lifted again.

I got the impression that you must have sufficient funds for the lift that the personnel are about to perform, rather than €12.

It said in the letter:
    Customers are required to ensure that their Greyhound account has sufficient funds to meet the current cost of each black and brown bin lift.

Customers who do not have sufficient funds in their account for the cost of a Black or Brown bin will not have their bin collected.

I would have thought that they would specifically have mentioned a requirement that you have at least €12 in your account before any lift is performed.

Advertisement