Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we had our bins collected in d7 on thurs now its tuesday.

am a web designer as well, i'd have failed my projects in college if i did a similar site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

My Mother is a waiver customer - will she still get a free lift of the grey bin? I doubt it - will her final bill up until friday jan 13th have the free lift?
    This Country is gone to hell - unions are a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

dolallyoh wrote: »
    The street litter bruscali ? Shurely not !

Yip!

They've started pulling them up in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Delta2113 wrote: »
    My Mother is a waiver customer - will she still get a free lift of the grey bin? I doubt it - will her final bill up until friday jan 13th have the free lift?

How are unions to blame for the Council deciding to privatise a service?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Craptacular customer service.

Im in lower D7 and we have clear plastic recycle bags which are collected free by greyhound. Called greyhound to ask about any changes to this as they havent and DCC havent furnished anyone here with wheelie bins ever. The guy on the phone was unable to tell me anything and didnt seem able to answer any questions at all about the change over. I've heard horror stories about greyhound before having worked for one of their rivals previously, but this is going to be a huge ongoing balls up service wise if their history is anything to by.

Locate your local bring centre. it'll be far cheaper and at least you know it'll be done. This shower are hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Delta2113 wrote: »

I don't know how the waiver scheme works but from other posters have said the scheme is in place for 2012. After that it's anyone's guess what Greyhound will do.

Unions have nothing to do with this, DCC sold the business to Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

RosieP wrote: »
    According to Greyhound's website:
    "Customers in credit with DCC on January 16th will need to contact DCC Revenue Unit to make alternative arrangements – Outstanding Credit will not transfer to Greyhound Recycling & Recovery".

So they're taking over any outstanding debts but not any credit on an account!
    DCC have no legal right to transfer outstanding debt & greyhound have no legal right to demand it, if you pay up then you are giving your consent thereby making it legal so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

In Rialto, black bin was not collected on Monday. I got no notice of the change and still have no letter. As my black bin is now overflowing what am I meant to do? Fly tip? I was on hold on Greyhound for 20 minutes before I gave up. Don't think much of Greyhound's communications. I will certainly be looking at other providers.

DCC bin truck just collected 3 bins on blackhorse avenue upper (dublin 7),some residents had their bins picked through & dumped on the footpath by persons unknown in the early hours last friday morning & DCC guys just lifted half empty bins leaving the rest on the footpath, residents refilled the bins & contacted DCC for an emergency collection...also nobody around here has received letters of info pack from greyhound as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harryoharra

TishyO wrote: »
    I'm in D9 and our black/brown bins are usually collected on a Tuesday (green on a Monday). Still haven't recieived any notification yet. So do I put my bin out tomorrow.

I hope this is not a indication of the service we can expect for Greyhound in the future.

I'm also in D9. got the letter from Greyhound/DCC yesterday. Can anyone explain what the €100 service charge is actually paying for? is it just an admin charge?
    On one part of the letter its says 'Please note your annual charge will be debited as part of the Automatic Top up service', so does this mean the €100 will pay for my black/brown collections until it runs out of credit?
    The letter is not very clear and I think they [Greyhound] have done this deliberately.

Also, when residents on the southside starting getting these letters in october the Annual service charge was €60, how has it gone up by €40/66% in a little over 3 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Surely Dublin City Council are still ultimately responsible for garbage disposal services in their area. Even if they have done some deal with a private company for the operation of the service. I do not understand how the implementation of a waiver scheme for those on low income or whatever is outside the responsibility of Dublin City Council or of the Government itself (relevant minister: Phil Hogan).
    Similarly it seems to me quite incredible that a state operated service (it was never a "business" - just a service) can be passed on to some firm in the private sector as an unregulated monopoly and then the latter allowed to increase prices, change payment terms and discontinue waivers as they think fit.
    Its time to for people to stop ringing Greyhound and instead start ringing their local City Council members who agreed to this disgraceful deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

Can't get through to Greyhound at all! Shocking customer service here!!

Maybe someone here can answer the question i want to ask them:

My bin is due to be collected tomorrow morning - this is the usual DCC day for collection. I have not received any information pack therefore can not register. Will Greyhound collect my bin tomorrow? Will i have to pay 100euro + top up my account TODAY (if info pack is there when i get home) to get it collected?

If i move to another provider in 3 months time, do Greyhound refund me 9 months of the charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Those cheeky c**ts in their comms dept tried to claim that the press release they put out on the 5th december was "notice" of this happening. Do a web search for that press release over december and you'll find that it wasn't carried by any media, that's not by accident either if you know how a press dept works.

Ok, i got through to Greyhound and spoke to a not so helpful man by the name of Declan.
    I asked was my bin going to be collected tomorrow as per the usual DCC collection date - he said no, it was today, can you leave your bin out now? Eh no Declan, i'm in work so i can't! Oh i'm very sorry he says - not much use to me at this stage!!

The 100euro IS NON REFUNDABLE IF YOU LEAVE GREYHOUND. Its your choice to move if you so wish so Greyhound are not responsible for your decision!!! Charming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I assume collections are still taking place on regular days (i.e my bin is sitting outside my garden at home at the moment).

Surprised there was no notification of this. One monopoly to another. competition doesnt really work with bin collecting as whole areas are auctioned off. you still end up with one service provider.

green bins were to be collected today but this never happened. the seamless transfer which the letter mentioned did not quite materialise. according to greyhound the collection date was the 13th which did not happen. the next collection is the 27th. any ideas for what I can do with my rubbish?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    green bins were to be collected today but this never happened. the seamless transfer which the letter mentioned did not quite materialise. according to greyhound the collection date was the 13th which did not happen. the next collection is the 27th. any ideas for what I can do with my rubbish?

Drive up to Greyhound and dump it in reception - i'm tempted to do that with my black bin that has apparently changed to today from tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Emma1980 wrote: »
    Drive up to Greyhound and dump it in reception - i'm tempted to do that with my black bin that has apparently changed to today from tomorrow!!

I was driving through south county Dublin near Saggart up to the mountains and the amount of black bags thrown at the side of the road.
    on the positive side until I heard the radio this morning I thought I was the only one with the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

You got a letter. I think that means you're a valued customer. :pac:
    More valued than me anyway. Dub city can whistle for their last 1/4 payment.

As for your rubbish, you'll just have to grin and bear it if your northside like me. It will be collected whenever greyhound get around to collecting it. I'd imagine their office is choas at the moment and will be for another few weeks. hopefully in years to come we'll have a choice of provider and we can all defect en-mass from greyhound.

As bad as dumping is, i can't really blame people for it - it's a shocking charge to ask people to pay out IN ADVANCE of a service that is not going to be as "seamless" as they promise.

In relation to the last 1/4 charge from DCC - did i not read elsewhere that Greyhound are persuing the DCC debt??

Emma1980 wrote: »
    As bad as dumping is, i can't really blame people for it -

I dont agree with you there. I appreciate the local green areas. A lot of work was done here in recent years to clean them up and improve them. I think fly tippers should be shot on site tbh. I do like your suggestion to dump on greyhounds grounds though.

• Advertisement

I dont agree with you there. I appreciate the local green areas. A lot of work was done here in recent years to clean them up and improve them. I think fly tippers should be shot on site tbh. I do like your suggestion to dump on greyhounds grounds though.

Ah no, i don't really mean it - just venting! Wouldn't actually do it myself!

Folks,

Was just on to Thorntons (apologies to Mods if we shouldn't post names but I think there is enought interest to do so rather than PM). They were very helpful. They said it would take about 10 days to do the switch over.

I have a small Black bin which would be €4.35 a lift, brown €4.20 a lift and an anuual fee of €50. There's a 5% discount if you pay on line.

I'll be switching this evening.

eboarde wrote: »
    Folks,

Was just on to Thorntons (apologies to Mods if we shouldn't post names but I think there is enought interest to do so rather than PM). They were very helpful. They said it would take about 10 days to do the switch over.

I have a small Black bin which would be €4.35 a lift, brown €4.20 a lift and an anuual fee of €50. There's a 5% discount if you pay on line.

Was with them for a short period - excellent service but they didn't collect til the afternoon which meant my bin was left out all day while i was in work and a few times i came home to find it kicked over in the middle of the road - unfortunatly the neighbours don't pull the bins in for you on my road - which is really annoying as i always pull peoples bins in for them and leave them in their drive!! Really need to stop being nice :rolleyes:

Folks,

what area are you in ?

Whats your location. I've been onto all the providers and it seems they only service southside. greyhound are the only option northside unless i've missed a few smaller companies perhaps?

The council also haven't got back to me to answer my query about if competition is allowed in my area or if greyhound have the contract for a set period of time before the market being opened up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 newbeginning

We just received our letter from Greyhound this morning, looking for €100 upfront and lifts set for next six months@ €6black bin €2brown bin.
    Green seems to still be free, but only collected if you've paid the €100 ???

Last night I didn't know what bin to put out, so I put out both the black and green seeing as they were full. The black one was emptied this morning, but it looked like it was a DCC dumptruck, (Greyhound wasn't written on it). (Navan Road area)

So, obviously now, I owe money to DCC. But don't want to pay Greyhound anything - I prefer to do things the old fashioned way - buy it then pay for it!
    So does that really mean that I will no longer be able to avail of the free green service or are there any alternatives, eg. a company I could ring and they will take this on - my understanding is that green bins were free because the material put into them had value, therefore in a company's interest to collect it for free, then they sold it, recycled it and made money???????? So what company's out there would be interested in this?

We just received our letter from Greyhound this morning, looking for €100 upfront and lifts set for next six months@ €6black bin €2brown bin.
    Green seems to still be free, but only collected if you've paid the €100 ???

Last night I didn't know what bin to put out, so I put out both the black and green seeing as they were full. The black one was emptied this morning, but it looked like it was a DCC dumptruck, (Greyhound wasn't written on it). (Navan Road area)

So, obviously now, I owe money to DCC. But don't want to pay Greyhound anything - I prefer to do things the old fashioned way - buy it then pay for it!
    So does that really mean that I will no longer be able to avail of the free green service or are there any alternatives, eg. a company I could ring and they will take this on - my understanding is that green bins were free because the material put into them had value, therefore in a company's interest to collect it for free, then they sold it, recycled it and made money???????? So what company's out there would be interested in this?

Technically it is still "free" for the green bin - although i 100% don't agree with paying up front for a service, it's just there standing charge same as the council, only there's was 24euro per quarter.

Dirk,

I live in Rialto so no help to you sorry.

eboarde

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Our day's collection was changed (apparently) from Monday to Tuesday.

Yesterday, half the road's rubbish went out (all sacks). Today the rest is out. No sign of any collection.

The cats/foxes/rats will have a field day if someone doesn't come and get it all, soon. It won't be pretty.

(Kilmainham)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I got the letter yesterday, paid immediately (Service charge + in advance for a few lifts). Our black bin hasn't been collected since sometime before Xmas, so we've got rubbish bags in the black, green and brown bins.

Greyhound did our road this morning... and skipped our bin.
    Seriously raging.

Advertisement