Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Greyhound vs Thorntons grey bin yearly prices.
    Greyhound Standing charge €100 + 25 bin lifts @ €6.00 per lift = €250 per year.
    Thorntons Standing charge €50 + 25 bin lifts @ 7.50 per lift = €237.50 - 5% discount for online payment = €225.62 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

lensman wrote: »
    Greyhound vs Thorntons grey bin yearly prices.
    Greyhound Standing charge €100 + 25 bin lifts @ €6.00 per lift = €250 per year.
    Thorntons Standing charge €50 + 25 bin lifts @ 7.50 per lift = €237.50 - 5% discount for online payment = €225.62 per year.

Gryehound/DCC have explicitely stated that those prices would remain for only 6 months, so you can't do a full prize analysis until you know how much they'll charge in 6 months time.

For reference, they changed in SDCC from €10.50 to 31c per kilo (so a 40kilo bn would cost €12.40)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Our day's collection was changed (apparently) from Monday to Tuesday.

Yesterday, half the road's rubbish went out (all sacks). Today the rest is out. No sign of any collection.

The cats/foxes/rats will have a field day if someone doesn't come and get it all, soon. It won't be pretty.

(Kilmainham)

DCC bin truck just turned up and collected all the rubbish.

Go figure?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

so is it worth sticking the black bin out tomorrow on the off chance DCC come around tomorrow??!!

This will be the main topic of discussion on RTE's liveline programme this afternoon

You've be warned ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 h.s.thomson

Go figure?!

Its not a DCC bin truck. DCC had contract hired the bin truck fleet from a 3rd party hire company. Part of the hire contract would have been that the trucks be signed up in DCC colours & livery.

That company now hires the bin trucks to Greyhound Waste.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

so we got our letter and the dates have been changed.

so the brown/blackbin has to go tomorrow and the green bin next week but the green was supposed to be collected on thursday and is full to the brim, so i have no idea what the hell i am going to done with the recycling rubbish for the following week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

irishbird wrote: »
    so we got our letter and the dates have been changed.

so the brown/blackbin has to go tomorrow and the green bin next week but the green was supposed to be collected on thursday and is full to the brim, so i have no idea what the hell i am going to done with the recycling rubbish for the following week :confused:

Was it not collected last week? According to my calender, the green bins were supposed to be collected on the 12th, and mine was.

so if i pay this 100e does that mine my account is in credit of 100e or do i have to then pay again for the bins to be collected?

i just paid the 100e household charge last week and now i have to pay this - i had budgeted for the household charge but this has come out of nowhere. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Psychobabble

so if i pay this 100e does that mine my account is in credit of 100e or do i have to then pay again for the bins to be collected?

i just paid the 100e household charge last week and now i have to pay this - i had budgeted for the household charge but this has come out of nowhere. :mad:

100e is just the standing charge for the coming year ... you'll still have too PAY IN ADVANCE per lift .... shocking ... a monopoly:mad:

• Advertisement

AFAIK, the 100 Euro are only the standing charge, you still have to top up your account.

100e is just the standing charge for the coming year ... you'll still have too PAY IN ADVANCE per lift .... shocking ... a monopoly:mad:

And don't forget, if you move to another supplier in a few months, you won't get any kind of refund from Greyhound as "its not their problem" if you move!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

It's the complete arrogance with which customers have beed treated by both DCC & Greyhound, this arrogance has become the norm as far as I can see, state, semi state, public & private company's are fully aware of the fact that so far we the public are putting up with austerity without any real protest & this gives them the green light to act in this manner, they are getting the boot in while we are down & it's our fault.

Emma1980 wrote: »
    And don't forget, if you move to another supplier in a few months, you won't get any kind of refund from Greyhound as "its not their problem" if you move!

...and somebody who moves house, won't get a refund either, I suppose :mad:

Additionally, black bins are only collected every two weeks, as opposed to weekly.

From what I'm reading the real problem here has been the speed of all these changes. In msot cases, DCC residents are really only catching up on the rst of the country, but in one fell swoop with no time for residents to examine it/explore their options DCC and Greyhound have really acted horribly.

Standing charges are the norm everywhere, as is pre-payment of lifts (some rural towns expect the whole yearly payment up front) and residents in SDCC have only had forthnightly collections for a couple of years now

Add in the lack of competition, horrendously bad communication regarding bin days and payment methods and such a short time to pay the annual fee, its clear they've completely ballsed it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Pricks were emptying black bins this morning but they only went out last week and my green bin is full and won't be collected till next week. Eijits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Additionally, black bins are only collected every two weeks, as opposed to weekly.

Er, black bins were only collected every 2 weeks before anyway. least in my area they were. green bin one week, black bins the next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

SPDUB wrote: »
    Strangle lack of bins put out on Crumlin Rd ,Herberton Road today for the new collection day .

Both those roads got their letters on Thursday and Friday .

Well the explanation for this was that a lot of people put their green bins out for collection today as per the old DCC collection schedule.

Of course nobody collected them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Go figure?!

where is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

SPDUB wrote: »
    Well the explanation for this was that a lot of people put their green bins out for collection today as per the old DCC collection schedule.

Of course nobody collected them .

the green bins were collected by greyhound, at least according to their calender, on Friday, although they only took over on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the green bins were collected by greyhound, at least according to their calender, on Friday, although they only took over on monday.

According to their info pack around this part of Crumlin Black/Brown yesterday Green next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Just spoke to a lovely, really helpful, guy in Thorntons and I'm signing up online tonight. Greyhound can go f*ck themselves, in my opinion.

Dodge wrote: »
    From what I'm reading the real problem here has been the speed of all these changes. In msot cases, DCC residents are really only catching up on the rst of the country, but in one fell swoop with no time for residents to examine it/explore their options DCC and Greyhound have really acted horribly.

Standing charges are the norm everywhere, as is pre-payment of lifts (some rural towns expect the whole yearly payment up front) and residents in SDCC have only had forthnightly collections for a couple of years now

Add in the lack of competition, horrendously bad communication regarding bin days and payment methods and such a short time to pay the annual fee, its clear they've completely ballsed it up

Thats it exactly - we were given no time to consider our options - if we want our bins collected we have to pay out a lot of money up front at a time when a lot of money is not easy to come by! I have no problems in paying for a service but the lack of notice is definatly a problem plus the fact that there is a final bill due out from DCC this week for the last quarter!

Skatedude wrote: »
    Er, black bins were only collected every 2 weeks before anyway. least in my area they were. green bin one week, black bins the next

In my area they were collected every week.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Was it not collected last week? According to my calender, the green bins were supposed to be collected on the 12th, and mine was.

our black bin was collected last week.

this week our brown and green bin were due to be collected but they appear to be collecting black and brown bin this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It says on the letter (arrived today) that the green barcode will only be sent out after you pay the 100euro. So even when you pay you'll still be waiting for them to send you out a green barcode to stick on the bin. They wont collect the green bin without the barcode.

Also says the billing period for the 100 euro is 1st january to 31st dec even though letters are still only arriving in the 2nd half of january and even then you'll be waiting for more post from them before getting it lifted.

On the plus side there is no mention of dub citys last 1/4 charge when you log in. It does say on their website that they will pursue outstanding DDC charges but wont entertain accounts in credit. It will be interesting to see how far people are prepared to be pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

cosmic wrote: »
    Just spoke to a lovely, really helpful, guy in Thorntons and I'm signing up online tonight. Greyhound can go f*ck themselves, in my opinion.

Where in Dublin are you? I just emailed them to see if they had plans to service Dublin 11 - would prefer to use them than greyhound

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

just looking on the site and the information on the annual charge is not clear.

residental black bin - says you need to pay an annual charge

residential bag - no mention of annual charge

annual charge - says if not paid green bin wont be collected

so going by their site as im a bag customer im not reqiured to pay the annual charge, ok they wont collect the recycling bin but im not required to recycle either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 adamkane

How will arrears be collected by Greyhound?

Advertisement