Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Same thing is used in high performance cars. They use for i.e. two small turbos instead of one big one. This gives the same amount of power or more and keeps the power consumption down a little bit.
    They use a small and a big turbo, the small one gives you a quick boost before the bigger (with more turbo lag) one kicks in. Cars like the M5 have this setup. Never seen a car with two small turbos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Daniel S wrote: »
    They use a small and a big turbo, the small one gives you a quick boost before the bigger (with more turbo lag) one kicks in. Cars like the M5 have this setup. Never seen a car with two small turbos.
    That's Sequential Turbos, it's also common to have Parallel Turbos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

App-ocalypse is about the coolest game I've seen on a phone yet. Just have to be careful not to hit the ads in-between rounds but even if you do it switches back and over fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

My experience with Androids and. Netbooks is that dual cores are battery assassins.

Either way, WP7 is probably not programmed to use two cores.
    the first dual core androids weren't capable of using the cores properly.
    you could compare it to installing a 32bit OS on a 64bit machine.
    Id say we won't see two cores until after support is added in an update.

in other news, I got my spare batteries recently. Freaking awesome.

Also, lack of a Netflix app is really annoying. I wonder when they're going to get it out, the Xbox one is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DjFlin wrote: »
    My experience with Androids and. Netbooks is that dual cores are battery assassins.

Either way, WP7 is probably not programmed to use two cores.
    the first dual core androids weren't capable of using the cores properly.
    you could compare it to installing a 32bit OS on a 64bit machine.
    Id say we won't see two cores until after support is added in an update.

in other news, I got my spare batteries recently. Freaking awesome.

Also, lack of a Netflix app is really annoying. I wonder when they're going to get it out, the Xbox one is out.

They have a netflix help account on twitter. Could ask them when they are going to update market availability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I seem to remember readind somewhere that Ovi maps will eventually come to non-Nokia phones. I can't seem to find the article about this any more. Did I just make this up, or can we look forward to this this year?
    One of my main gripes with my phone is the pathetic maps for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

fjon wrote: »
    I seem to remember readind somewhere that Ovi maps will eventually come to non-Nokia phones. I can't seem to find the article about this any more. Did I just make this up, or can we look forward to this this year?
    Just side load it, I already have Nokia maps :pac:

It was mere speculation. It wouldnt make sense for Nokia to start sellings its maps as its one of their major sellings points and has been for a good few years.

It was mere speculation. It wouldnt make sense for Nokia to start sellings its maps as its one of their major sellings points and has been for a good few years.

Yeahm thought it was a bit strange alright, but the article I read said that the maps would be offered, but not the navigation/ sat nav ability that Nokia phones have.
    Haven't dev unlocked my phone so can't load the maps, although might be something I would look into eventually.

I'm not sure about maps, but they have explicitly said that Nokia Drive (the turn-by-turn sat nav app) won't be going to other phones. There is a hack that lets you into other OEM's marketplaces to get their apps, when I tried previously it didn't work for Nokia but that may have been fixed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1393265

• Advertisement

Also, for Omnia 7 users, there's now a free untethered jailbreak + interop unlock solution, and they're working to bring it to other models. It's called The WindowBreak Project. Worked perfectly on my Omnia which is running 7740.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Also, for Omnia 7 users, there's now a free untethered jailbreak + interop unlock solution, and they're working to bring it to other models. It's called The WindowBreak Project. Worked perfectly on my Omnia which is running 7740.

Interesting. It says there isn't one needed for LG as they have MFG. However I'm sure I need to do something else to my phone if I want to sideload Ovi maps? I can't do this just by accessing the MFG menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Any sign of a netflix app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

ScumLord wrote: »
    App-ocalypse is about the coolest game I've seen on a phone yet. Just have to be careful not to hit the ads in-between rounds but even if you do it switches back and over fairly well.

It's pretty good alright! The forrest level is quite hard :D

Any sign of a netflix app?

Netflix is available. Its actually preloaded on some phones in the US. Just not available in Ireland yet. As in previous post you will have to go nag for netflix to rearrange market availability after that you should see it.

I'm sure Netflix is in the process of getting the app to us. They're probably just waiting on Microsofts approval process.

I'd say it'll be out within a week.

Also, anyone thinking of sideloading the app, don't bother, it won't let you sign in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Saw the Omnia W today. Lovely looking, but really not much of a difference, which is disappointing since it's been over a year since the Omnia 7. I expected a bit more.

chrislad wrote: »
    Saw the Omnia W today. Lovely looking, but really not much of a difference, which is disappointing since it's been over a year since the Omnia 7. I expected a bit more.

Well the Omnia W or Focus Flash were never made for that. They were made as mid end phones .

Focus S was the hero phone. Yet its only for the US. The only flagship phones we can get here are Titan and Lumia 800 .

I was thinking about how shortly after Mango launched, Facebook changed some things and made the new People Hub feel outdated again.
    It reminded me of what Google done with Androids built-in apps. While they are built in, and cannot be removed, they can be updated just like normal apps. For example, Gmail gets updates, without the whole OS having to get one.
    It would be cool if we saw this happen with People Hub, and maybe a few other built in apps, like Zune.

Rumors have it that the Nokia Lumia 900 is going to launch around March. I may upgrade to it. My Optimus 7 is starting to get old (The OS is still perfectly fine, the phone is just scratched, battered and bruised) and may not last much longer.

Why does the Cyan Lumia 800 have to be more expensive :S

Black one costs E375 and the cyan one E429. Really doesnt make sense :S

http://www.logitel.de/handys/marken/nokia/lumia-800-nb-cyan--1458.html

Did any one get a phone of this crown? Hoping to order my Lumia 800 once i sell my HTC Sensation

• Advertisement

I was just going through my old ImageShack account :)

I look at the bit of work I used to do on Windows Mobile :) Miss it :)

Making custom icons, ui was a lot of fun :)

gtx1.png20101011002.png

grassbackground2.png

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Rumors have it that the Nokia Lumia 900 is going to launch around March. I may upgrade to it. My Optimus 7 is starting to get old (The OS is still perfectly fine, the phone is just scratched, battered and bruised) and may not last much longer.

The "clever" money is on a March 17th launch in the US. Based on the price of the sim-free 800, I'd say the 900 will cost a pretty penny

The "clever" money is on a March 17th launch in the US. Based on the price of the sim-free 800, I'd say the 900 will cost a pretty penny

Nokia Lumia 800 launching February 1 and the Nokia Lumia 900 is launching Q2 2012 in Ireland. Check out Nokia Ireland on Facebook

Interesting. It says there isn't one needed for LG as they have MFG. However I'm sure I need to do something else to my phone if I want to sideload Ovi maps? I can't do this just by accessing the MFG menu?
    Maybe you can, I think I remember reading something like that for the LG alright. If you have a look around the forums at xda-developers you should be able to find a specific thread for the LG with all the details of what you need.

Here's what you need to do:

Part 1
    1.Open the MFG app and use the password to open it. If you don’t know it’s (appmfg#*#)
    2.Go to Engineer Menu -> Other Settings -> Edit Registry
    3.Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    4.Set your input path to "\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg"
    5.Set your input key to "PortalUrlProd" and set to DWORD
    6.Hit Query. Output result should return data. If it does continue.
    7.Keep your input data box empty and hit SET. Output result should be 0
    8.Keep this screen open and continue to Part 2

Part 2
    1.Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    2.Set your input path to "\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg"
    3.Set your input key to "PortalUrlInt" and set to DWORD
    4.Hit Query. Output result should return data. If it does continue.
    5.Keep your input data box empty and hit SET. Output result should be 0
    6.Backout to the password screen and shutdown the phone via powerbutton.
    7.Reboot and sync. Your LG Optimus 7 should stay unlocked.

Now your LG Optimus 7 is unlocked. Good luck!

You can download the Nokia Maps and Nokia Music xap files from here:

http://gadgetian.com/27337/nokia-music-maps-xap-files-windows-phone-download/

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Here's what you need to do:

Part 1
    1.Open the MFG app and use the password to open it. If you don’t know it’s (appmfg#*#)
    2.Go to Engineer Menu -> Other Settings -> Edit Registry
    3.Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    4.Set your input path to "\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg"
    5.Set your input key to "PortalUrlProd" and set to DWORD
    6.Hit Query. Output result should return data. If it does continue.
    7.Keep your input data box empty and hit SET. Output result should be 0
    8.Keep this screen open and continue to Part 2

Part 2
    1.Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    2.Set your input path to "\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg"
    3.Set your input key to "PortalUrlInt" and set to DWORD
    4.Hit Query. Output result should return data. If it does continue.
    5.Keep your input data box empty and hit SET. Output result should be 0
    6.Backout to the password screen and shutdown the phone via powerbutton.
    7.Reboot and sync. Your LG Optimus 7 should stay unlocked.

You can download the Nokia Maps and Nokia Music xap files from here:

http://gadgetian.com/27337/nokia-music-maps-xap-files-windows-phone-download/

That's great, I've unlocked my phone. I guess it's not possible to add these to my phone if I don't have Zune installed?
    I synch my phone with my Mac as my Windows PC has XP SP2 which doesn't support Zune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

AntiVirus wrote: »

Is there any negative consequences in having your phone unlocked?
    Restrictions on future software updates etc?
    (Sorry if this has been asked before)

gman2k wrote: »
    Is there any negative consequences in having your phone unlocked?
    Restrictions on future software updates etc?
    (Sorry if this has been asked before)

None at all. You will recieve all your update as per usual :)

That's great, I've unlocked my phone. I guess it's not possible to add these to my phone if I don't have Zune installed?
    I synch my phone with my Mac as my Windows PC has XP SP2 which doesn't support Zune.

This might work for you, it says it runs on Windows XP

http://www.redfrogfish.com/483/how-to-install-windows-phone-7-developer-tools-on-windows-xp/

EDIT: I left out the link :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Ok, I've unlocked the phone, downloaded the XAP files but now it seems cos I'm still running XP I can't install the developers tools, so that rules out installing the XAP!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement