Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

AntiVirus wrote: »
    They do work in the US. The worst that could happen is that you can only use 2G data while roaming. Best to look for wifi free bars/cafe's when roaming in any country, data rates are a bitch.

The European edition - FCC ID: LJPRM-801:
    GSM/EGSM : 850/900/1800/1900
    WCDMA : 900/1900/2100

The North American edition - FCC ID: RM-819
    GSM/EGSM : 850/900/1800/1900
    WCDMA : 850/1900/2100

You didn't read the blog post, it states that there is an error in Nokia's documentation and the European Lumia 800 doesn't in fact support gsm 850.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Do-more wrote:

You didn't read the blog post, it states that there is an error in Nokia's documentation and the European Lumia 800 doesn't in fact support gsm 850.

I did read the blog post which is incorrect when it says GSM. The Nokia Lumia 800 Euro version and US versions both support GSM 850.

If you look at my post you'll see where the 850 is missing and the problem it causes in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

O2 have approved the Lumia 800, So hopefully should be available in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

guys,

my HTC HD7 was my first smart phone and I absolutely love(d) it ...

until our workphones got upgraded on thursday from some insignificant nokia to a Samsung Galaxy Ace (android) and I have to admit, the only time I've gone near my HTC is to plug it in or our of the charger.

I'm going to give it a few week, but I'm already considering letting the contract on my HD7 go dead and just stick with the work phone ...

Am I the only one to dive into the WP7 as a smart phone and regret it as soon as one got a sniff of android?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

I took a different direction to you and went from a Dell Streak running Android 2.2 to a HTC HD7. I loved the simplicty and slickness of the WP7 interface in comparison to the Streak, but recent developments in the Android space have been too hard to ignore! My latest gadget is the Samsung Galaxy Note which comes with a great display, handwriting recognition and a dual core processor. I cannot get over how the Android marketplace has grown in the 8 months I was using the HTC. My days with WP7 are numbered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    guys,

my HTC HD7 was my first smart phone and I absolutely love(d) it ...

until our workphones got upgraded on thursday from some insignificant nokia to a Samsung Galaxy Ace (android) and I have to admit, the only time I've gone near my HTC is to plug it in or our of the charger.

I'm going to give it a few week, but I'm already considering letting the contract on my HD7 go dead and just stick with the work phone ...

Am I the only one to dive into the WP7 as a smart phone and regret it as soon as one got a sniff of android?

Ta

I regret going back to Android. I miss nearly everything about wp7. Counting the days till I sell the sensation and get my lumia or titan in January.

I mostly miss tell me, social integration, smoothness of operation, android is not slick what so ever or consistent design language across os or apps.

I think these couple of months going back to Android will throw me off good of android. I had a sgs2 and didn't like it, have the sensation and I prefer this to sgs2 but it still doesn't hit the spot like my omnia 7 did.

Hd7 was quite a terrible phone. It was just basically a hd2 with a new shell case. Screen was crap, battery life was crap, performance wasn't close as to what it was on the omnia 7 or LG optimus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I regret going back to Android. I miss nearly everything about wp7. Counting the days till I sell the sensation and get my lumia or titan in January.

I mostly miss tell me, social integration, smoothness of operation, android is not slick what so ever or consistent design language across os or apps.

I think these couple of months going back to Android will throw me off good of android. I had a sgs2 and didn't like it, have the sensation and I prefer this to sgs2 but it still doesn't hit the spot like my omnia 7 did.

Hd7 was quite a terrible phone. It was just basically a hd2 with a new shell case. Screen was crap, battery life was crap, performance wasn't close as to what it was on the omnia 7 or LG optimus.

I've been having this kind of conversation with a lot of people recently, primarily people that recently moved from an iPhone 3G to an Android device (they didn't see the iPhone 4S as enough of an upgrade, also quite suspicious that Apple will release iPhone 5 any day now). They gave up on their Samsung or Sony or HTC and went straight back to iPhone, essentially because Android was too confusing and difficult to learn (read: not at all intuitive) and buggy (many reports of freezes, slowdowns, random weirdness, crashing apps etc). These would not be techy people but all would have had a smartphone previously (iPhone).

Meanwhile my SO has been using her Lumia 800 almost a week and I've never seen a non-techy person so happy with a gadget. The facebook integration in particular suits her perfectly, and she's had no problems browsing and downloading apps and the rest of it. It's a pretty cool looking phone too; an excellent combo of hardware and software. I'd be interested to see how it does when it comes to O2 here after xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought the HD7 was a nice looking phone, the battery life was a joke though.

Is there any equivalent of the cabbage app for windows 7? I'm looking for something that will let me use vodafone online text messages.

ScumLord wrote: »

Is there any equivalent of the cabbage app for windows 7? I'm looking for something that will let me use vodafone online text messages.

Yes there is an app. It was developed by one fella from boards. Can't remember the name :) hd7 is and was a nice looking phone just let down by hardware and battery life.

HTC make brilliant phones. Just hardware side to me sometimes is a let down. Samsung makes brilliant hardware but their phones are just plain and ugly looking most of the time.

Sometimes I wish I could get a HTC phone with Samsung hardware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

This is a bit of a longshot but does anyone have experience with replacing the digitizer on a HTC Mozart. My one cracked but was still working perfectly so I purchased a replacement off ebay. Took everything apart and replaced the digitizer but when I turned the phone on the touchscreen was completely unresponsive. Thought it my have been a faulty digitizer so tried the old one again but that wouldn't work either. Checked all the connections and they seem ok, any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

ScumLord wrote: »

There are two that I know of. WebTextr and Sendu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

DjFlin wrote: »

Neither are currently supported on O2 Ireland at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Hi all,
    Wife got a Nokia Lumia 800 - anyone know how to increase the font size , particularly on text messages. She can't read the damn thing.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

DjFlin wrote: »

Any chance they support Tesco Mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

elderlemon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Wife got a Nokia Lumia 800 - anyone know how to increase the font size , particularly on text messages. She can't read the damn thing.

thanks
    I have the same problem myself. Especially if someone asks me for a phone number and I have to read it from the phone book. All the real estate on the screen and the font size is flippin' tiny. Was there a valid reason for that?

I have the same problem myself. Especially if someone asks me for a phone number and I have to read it from the phone book. All the real estate on the screen and the font size is flippin' tiny. Was there a valid reason for that?

Metro style i guess. Large headers and small writing. I know alot of people sometimes have problems reading fine text but i personally never got it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

choons wrote: »
    Any chance they support Tesco Mobile?

Does Tesco Mobile have webText ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Does Tesco Mobile have webText ?

It does now yes:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056151979

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Rumours that O2 are abandoning the Lumias already despite 'approving' them in the last month and have removed them from the online shops.

This, unsurpringly, left Nokia with a large stock backing up in the warehouse and they handed out free Lumias to 'registered Nokia developers' this week.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Rumours that O2 are abandoning the Lumias already despite 'approving' them in the last month and have removed them from the online shops.

Did you even read the link? They've sold out online. You can walk in and buy them in there o2 stores.
    This, unsurpringly, left Nokia with a large stock backing up in the warehouse and they handed out free Lumias to 'registered Nokia developers' this week.

Did you just make that bit up? Nokia said back on October the 27 they would give away 25,000 Nokia Lumia's to Developers.
    http://www.winrumors.com/nokia-giving-away-25000-lumia-800-windows-phones-to-developers/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are not in the online store here. Never made it.

In the UK theonline pages were taken down not replaced with an 'out of stock' message as normal ...which is where the story came from

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/12/21/did-o2-remove-nokia-lumia-800-its-website/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+itproportal%2Frss+%28Latest+ITProPortal+News%29
    (ed : An O2 spokesperson sent us the following statement "To confirm we're not dropping the Nokia 800. We're happy with how it's sold and indeed it has sold out online and in some stores however the vast majority still have stock. We'll be getting more stock in soon and the 800's page on our site will be going back up soon ")

We shall soon see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Its a real pain all right. Wonder if there is some registry hack or something. Must do some searching.

They are not in the online store here. Never made it..

What are you talking about never made it here? It's not being released here till 2012.

You're talking about something thats happened in the UK I'm talking about stores in the uk. Don't mix up the contries.

All of your links say is was a mistake, not one says its ture? Also you never answer the question about the stock pile up causing Nokia to give away 25000 Lumia's?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ok so now we know the Nokia Lumia 800 has tanked big time, what for the future of Nokia firstly? as they really need this handset or the next one to be a smash hit or they will go out of business...........and secondly where does this leave WP7? granted MS have resources to continue to throw good money after bad, and they need to remain relevant in the mobile OS arena.

All in all things look very bleak for Nokia, and pretty bleak for WP7 hopes of breaking through into relevance.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Ok so now we know the Nokia Lumia 800 has tanked big time, what for the future of Nokia firstly? as they really need this handset or the next one to be a smash hit or they will go out of business...........and secondly where does this leave WP7? granted MS have resources to continue to throw good money after bad, and they need to remain relevant in the mobile OS arena.

All in all things look very bleak for Nokia, and pretty bleak for WP7 hopes of breaking through into relevance.

Nokia have not released any sales figures yet, it hasn't even hit the US yet and was only released in a few countries and they seem to be selling very well in those countries.

Try find some one who's actually selling them saying that there not selling rather than some one trying to guess how they are selling.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-800-tops-sales-charts-at-netherlandss-largest-mobile-operator/

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-800-tops-sales-charts-in-expansys-australia-and-lumia-710-coming-this-week/

http://wmpoweruser.com/uk-phone-sales-staff-say-nokia-lumia-800-flying-of-shelves-not-coming-back/

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-windows-phones-sales-were-off-to-an-excellent-start/

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-800-outselling-all-android-phones-on-vodafone-uk-kpn-netherlands-online-stores/

Inquitus wrote: »
    and secondly where does this leave WP7?

On track to release Tango and then Apollo (WP8) in Q3 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Anyone know what the release date in 2012 for Lumia 800 is in Ireland? Should I wait or jusy buy from the UK? Been waiting 6 months+ now for a WP7.5 spec phone, I'm just about out of patience. Or is the HTC any good? I need something with an excellent camera. Any advice appreciated.

Anyone know what the release date in 2012 for Lumia 800 is in Ireland? Should I wait or jusy buy from the UK? Been waiting 6 months+ now for a WP7.5 spec phone, I'm just about out of patience. Or is the HTC any good? I need something with an excellent camera. Any advice appreciated.

I counldn't be arsed waiting for it, it will be more expensive to buy here sim free than from the uk or Germany. Jimmynokia will be the best person to contact about release dates here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That LG one that half of us have is an excellent handset, it must be down to less than 150e at this stage too!
    What one is that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That LG one that half of us have is an excellent handset, it must be down to less than 150e at this stage too!
    I need something with an excellent camera.
    That's the Optimus ruled out then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Some of the photos I took with my Optimus are ok. I have scaled them down to fit on the screen.

Agreed, the Optimus camera isn't half bad. That said, Nokia's are generally the best cameraphones.

How was San Francisco by the way? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement