Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Still got past him though :)

Very good. What were you racing and did you go on to win?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That Tyrrell looks awesome!

tyrrell012728x542.jpg

The sidepods on that Tyrrell reminded me of this beast, the Brabham BMW BT52. Had a turbocharged inline 4 cylinder motor. BMW and Hart were the only teams to use 4 cylinder motors. Mixed fuel also made the BMW engine more powerful.

bt521.jpg

I just love that wedged shaped front wing.

The cars back then sure did look interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It sure is. Made a one off apperance before it was killed off.

One-off appearance (that many teams tried) at the Monaco Grand Prix (can't remember the exact year... 2001?). FIA banned it because it (the supports mainly) obstructed the driver's view of the road.

I still prefer the Honda Dumbo ears though.

PJTierney wrote: »
    One-off appearance (that many teams tried) at the Monaco Grand Prix (can't remember the exact year... 2001?). FIA banned it because it (the supports mainly) obstructed the driver's view of the road.

I still prefer the Honda Dumbo ears though.

The extra wings on the Arrows and the Jordan appeared at first practice at Monaco in 2001. They managed to do some laps and they were banned. They were the only teams that turned up with mods like that.

Just found this clip about them on Youtube by doing a search on Google:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

69 DAYS TIL

Practice 1

2012 Australian Grand Prix
    Albert Park, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

69 DAYS TIL

Practice 1

2012 Australian Grand Prix
    Albert Park, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

And counting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Not soon enough :(

Had my annual withdrawal symptoms over Christmas. Even got to the stage where I downloaded several full races and watched them over and over. Canada and its 5 hours was as epic as when I first watched it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Not soon enough :(

Had my annual withdrawal symptoms over Christmas. Even got to the stage where I downloaded several full races and watched them over and over. Canada and its 5 hours was as epic as when I first watched it :D

I actually watch Canada as well LOL
    Hat's off to Button.. Drive of the year. :)

vectra wrote: »
    I actually watch Canada as well LOL
    Hat's off to Button.. Drive of the year. :)

Even though I'd seen it four or five times before it (yes I have a lot of time on my hands :pac:) I still get the same reaction when he goes past Vettel. Drive of the last two years at least. Better than his championship winning year. His driving this year would've won him the title if it hadn't been for Seb.

Never really been the biggest Button fan but was cheering him on last season, and will be for next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

will always remember that race for the mess DRS made of it

• Advertisement

Grim. wrote: »
    will always remember that race for the mess DRS made of it

Yeah. Schumi would've made the podium if it hadn't been for that. Although I think the drying weather played a part in him getting overtaken too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭lolie

James Allen has joined bbc radio 5 live as lead f1 commentator for 2012. Might hav to rethink the radio 5 + rtl option or just listen to the german commentary.

Aaron, I agree with what you say about Button. He has been a revelation last season.

Just think of it, he could have been without a drive in 2009 had Brawn not bought the Honda F1 operation. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Just think of it, he could have been without a drive in 2009 had Brawn not bought the Honda F1 operation. :eek:

Not only without a drive for that year but also could have potentially been another lost F1 talent, as who knows whether McLaren would have grabbed him for 2010 if it hadn't been for Brawn 2009.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Not only without a drive for that year but also could have potentially been another lost F1 talent, as who knows whether McLaren would have grabbed him for 2010 if it hadn't been for Brawn 2009.

I think myself that if Button didn't get a drive in 2009, he was finished in F1.

It was a season of contrasting fortunes for Button in 2009. Could have been without a drive for the 2009, then getting a drive and going on to achieve the title and ending up in McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I will also be cheering Button on next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Like button too. Pretty straight up sort Id say or else a PR genius.
    Really hope he can have a few good early results. Hamilton wont be able to handle it for another season.

mickdw wrote: »
    Really hope he can have a few good early results. Hamilton wont be able to handle it for another season.

If Button has a good start to the season and finishes ahead of Hamilton in the races, I can see Hamilton going into meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mickdw wrote: »

If Button has a good start to the season and finishes ahead of Hamilton in the races, I can see Hamilton going into meltdown.
    We can only hope.

• Advertisement

USA poster is cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Some unconfirmed reports on twitter suggesting that Kubica has fallen on ice and broken his leg! Someone needs to wrap him up in bubble wrap!! Terrible luck if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Some unconfirmed reports on twitter suggesting that Kubica has fallen on ice and broken his leg! Someone needs to wrap him up in bubble wrap!! Terrible luck if its true.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96958

Seems to be true.

And after the Canada incident I thought he was invincible...

Terrible luck for him

Apparently he reopened the fracture in his right tibia which he broke in his rally crash last year. Could delay his recovery by three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Terrible news for Robert, I wouldnt be willing to completely rule out a return from this. Its clearly a major setback but the progress that Kubica made in the second half of 2011 was pretty impressive according to some people in the paddock so hopefully he can get over this and recupperate over the spring.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Terrible news for Robert, I wouldnt be willing to completely rule out a return from this. Its clearly a major setback but the progress that Kubica made in the second half of 2011 was pretty impressive according to some people in the paddock so hopefully he can get over this and recupperate over the spring.

I think once he has fully recovered from his injuries, some team might give him a test to see how he performs.

frostie500 wrote: »

If the nerves in his hands have healed properly then I see no reason why a team wouldn't give him a chance. He has the talent and clearly the heart and determination, will his body allow him to do it though?

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    If the nerves in his hands have healed properly then I see no reason why a team wouldn't give him a chance. He has the talent and clearly the heart and determination, will his body allow him to do it though?

And there is also the mental issue imo. I think once a driver is in a serious accident, their speed is blunted and I don't think they can push their cars to the limit anymore.

Advertisement