Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    As much as Senna did last season he isnt a patch on Ayrton!

That's true at the moment. However, after watching him last year, I feel he has it if given a good chance.
    Ficus wrote: »
    Nobody is a patch on Aryton!

Michael Schumacher in his prime was equal overall IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

As much as Senna did last season he isnt a patch on Ayrton!

And never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Caterham are to launch their 2012 car on the cover of F1 Racing on the 26th of January.

2012 launch dates so far:

Caterham: 26th of January.

McLaren: 1st of February (Woking).

Force India: 3rd of February (Silverstone).

Ferrari: 3rd of February (Maranello).

Sauber: 6th of February (Jerez).

Red Bull: 6th of Febuary (online).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7442014/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed_F1
    According to a report in Spain, the second seat at HRT - the last available on the 2012 grid - will cost at least €6million and Dutchman Giedo van der Garde has the money.

Spanish newspaper Marca has reported that HRT are looking for a considerable financial injection from their second driver, with the six million mark said to be the minimum requirement.

Van der Garde, who finished fifth in last year's GP2 Series and third in the GP2 Asia Series, has been linked with the position and appears upbeat about his prospects.

The 26-year-old wrote on Twitter: "I'm still waiting for news. Training very hard at the moment, to prepare myself the best! I'm Positive to have good news soon. Keep following".

Van der Garde has previous F1 experience, having been part of the McLaren Young Drivers' Programme in 2006 and as well as testing for Spyker in 2007.

Gotta love cheque book racers!

Lol.

I wonder did HRT ask Petrov to drive for them considering the money he brings with him.

I also read in Autosport that Jarno Trulli's seat could be under threat from Petrov at Caterham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Lol.

I wonder did HRT ask Petrov to drive for them considering the money he brings with him.

I also read in Autosport that Jarno Trulli's seat could be under threat from Petrov at Caterham.

If Caterham were serious about going for points this year then I feel they have to be ruthless and drop Trulli. He underperformed in comparison to Heikki last season. All this talk of the more experienced helping to develop the cars didn't exactly help Williams nor Team Lotus the last two years.

Petrov impressed a few times, especially early on before he faded and could be a decent runner. Also wouldn't be surprised if they turn to one of the former Torro Rosso drivers... Alguersuari has a few well paying backers

aaronh007 wrote: »
    If Caterham were serious about going for points this year then I feel they have to be ruthless and drop Trulli. He underperformed in comparison to Heikki last season. All this talk of the more experienced helping to develop the cars didn't exactly help Williams nor Team Lotus the last two years.

Petrov impressed a few times, especially early on before he faded and could be a decent runner. Also wouldn't be surprised if they turn to one of the former Torro Rosso drivers... Alguersuari has a few well paying backers

I think Trulli just isin't motivated anymore, and I do remember he was moaning about the power steering last year whereas Heikki kept his down and got on with the job.

You never know, Jarno's career in F1 might be Trulli over before the season has started.:eek:

I think Alguersuari would be a good fit at Caterham, whether he brings funds or not. Caterham aren't a team short of dough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There won't be much else coming through over the next while. Could be argued there hasn't been much else for a while now.

amacachi wrote: »
    There won't be much else coming through over the next while. Could be argued there hasn't been much else for a while now.

Even if you look at the driver programmes that teams have, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of talent coming through into F1. Gary Paffett was supposed to be the next big thing for McLaren but hasn't gotten out of the testing seat yet. He's at least 30 now so I doubt he'll get any chances.

Red Bull have managed to get some drivers through by way of having Torro Rosso as a feeder team; Vettel and now Ricciardo.

The cheque book driver at Sauber (Perez) isin't a bad driver at all. He may end up at Ferrari next year.

• Advertisement

The cheque book driver at Sauber (Perez) isin't a bad driver at all. He may end up at Ferrari next year.

He's not entirely a cheque book driver. Isn't he at Sauber due to him being a part of Ferrari's driver programme and a deal giving Sauber Ferrari engines?

He's not entirely a cheque book driver. Isn't he at Sauber due to him being a part of Ferrari's driver programme and a deal giving Sauber Ferrari engines?

He might be, but as far as I know he got the job because of the funds he took along with him.

You do have a point about the Ferrari connection though, Massa is an example of that.

35 should be the upper limit on age to race F1
    Too old and nervous after that..
    Look at the oldies out there.
    Schumacher
    Trulli
    Fisi> Gone
    Pedro Delarosa
    Barrichello

Keep the young guns..
    Fresh with a big hunger..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

vectra wrote: »
    Schumacher
    Trulli
    Fisi> Gone
    Pedro Delarosa
    Barrichello

Keep the young guns..

Is there a thumbs down button?

Is there a thumbs down button?

Well to be faie they are all well past their best before date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

vectra wrote: »
    Schumacher
    Trulli
    Fisi> Gone
    Pedro Delarosa
    Barrichello

Keep the young guns..

Rubens Barrichello - 37 when he last won a race.
    Michael Schumacher - 37 when he last won a race.
    Gerhard Berger - 38 when he last won a race.
    Damon Hill - 36 when he won the championship. 38 when he last won a race.
    Nigel Mansell - 39 when he won the championship. 41 when he last won a race.
    Alain Prost - 38 when he won his final championship.

RayM wrote: »
    Rubens Barrichello - 37 when he last won a race.
    Michael Schumacher - 37 when he last won a race.
    Gerhard Berger - 38 when he last won a race.
    Damon Hill - 36 when he won the championship. 38 when he last won a race.
    Nigel Mansell - 39 when he won the championship. 41 when he last won a race.
    Alain Prost - 38 when he won his final championship.

They werent up against any of the competition that is out there now.
    Different times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/16649348.stm`
    HRT insist they will race despite 'critical delays'

HRT are having a tough winter but say they will be ready for 2012 The struggling HRT team have admitted their preparations have suffered a "critical delay" but insist they will be ready for the start of the season.

HRT, who have new owners and a new team principal, revealed that the restructuring had delayed the design and production of their new 2012 car.

But a spokeswoman said: "Rumours that we will take part in the initial grands prix with the 2011 car are not true.

"The target is to be at the second [pre-season] test with the new car."

Pre-season testing begins with a four-day test in Jerez in southern Spain starting on 7 February, when HRT plan to use their 2011 car.

Continue reading the main story There's been, and still is, a lot to work on but, even if we may struggle in the beginning, the structure that is being built now is a lot more solid, reliable and committed
    HRT spokeswoman
    The teams move to Barcelona for the second test on 21 February.

There is a final test, also running for four days, from 4 March, again at Barcelona, before the first race of the season on 18 March in Melbourne, Australia.

Team principal Luis Perez-Sala, who replaced Colin Kolles in December, was not available for interview.

The spokeswoman said: "Luis Perez-Sala is fully focused at the moment on the car and the new structure, and he prefers not to give any statements or interviews to the press for now until everything is in place."

She added that the 2012 car had passed some of its regulation crash tests but has more to complete.

For the first time this season teams have to pass all the crash tests required by the FIA, the sport's governing body, before they run the car on track. Previously, they were only required to do so before it raced.

Rumours in F1 circles have suggested that HRT, who finished 11th out of 12 teams in both seasons since their debut in 2010, will struggle to have their car ready because they do not have enough time.

As recently as November, they were in talks with Caterham Composites - a company owned by Caterham F1 bosses Tony Fernandes and Mike Gascoyne - about designing and building the 2012 HRT.

But these foundered and last month the team announced they would design and build their own car.

The spokeswoman added: "The philosophy of the new owners has always been first work and then talk. And try to be as open and honest as possible.

"There's been, and still is, a lot to work on but, even if we may struggle in the beginning, the structure that is being built now is a lot more solid, reliable and committed.

"Hopefully, we'll be able to prove all that soon and change the team's perception, which is no longer real. It won't be a bed of roses but we'll manage to do it."

The team have one confirmed driver in veteran Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa, and the spokeswoman said negotiations over a second driver are "still ongoing".

Dutch GP2 driver Giedo van der Garde has been heavily linked with the seat in media reports in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Same old HRT, so will they make their first appearance at the 2nd or 3rd race?

Ugh, good ol' HRT. Can't we just be done with them please? Give an actual team a shot at their space in the pitlane?

• Advertisement

Ugh, good ol' HRT. Can't we just be done with them please? Give an actual team a shot at their space in the pitlane?

HRT were a problem from day 1.

I can't believe that they managed to stay in the sport for 2 years so far tbh. I thought they wouldn't last a whole season when they came in in 2010. Colin Kolles managed to keep them going though.

Of the 4 teams the FIA selected to enter F1 in 2010, Lotus/Caterham showed they were serious from day 1.

Now look at the other 3:

HRT: Money problems from day 1.

Virgin Manor: Couldn't be bothered using a wind tunnel.

USF1: Didn't make it to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Who's to say that if another team was gotten in they would do any better or even manage to keep afloat?

I personally don't understand why the lower 3 teams get so much hate. There always has been lower down teams who have little or no chance of points. And apart from a few years in the 2000s the teams at the back were just as far back or further than they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

As already said apart from Lotus the rest seem like a real amateur outfits, back in the 90`s the smaller teams were at times competitve. Remember Hill nearly won in that Arrow`s!

And the teams at the bottom of the grid in the 90s weren't amateur?
    Hill in Hungary 97 was a bit of a fairytale situation though in fairness. The majority of lower end teams who scored points in the 90s were seriously helped by the hit and miss reliability of the time. I'd even make the jump that if the reliability of cars was the same now as in even the late 90s with the current points Caterhem/Team lotus would have a total over the 2 years easily in double digits.

The 3 new teams are dreadfully slow, I'm not denying that but having been able to keep themselves on the grid for 2 years and hopefully all about to start a third, it's no small feat, and they have all made progress. I just don't think they should get put down as much as they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

And the teams at the bottom of the grid in the 90s weren't amateur?
    Hill in Hungary 97 was a bit of a fairytale situation though in fairness. The majority of lower end teams who scored points in the 90s were seriously helped by the hit and miss reliability of the time. I'd even make the jump that if the reliability of cars was the same now as in even the late 90s with the current points setup teams like Caterhem/Team lotus would have a total over the 2 years easily in double digits.

The 3 new teams are dreadfully slow, I'm not denying that but having been able to keep themselves on the grid for 2 years and hopefully all about to start a third, it's no small feat, and they have all made progress. I just don't think they should get put down as much as they do.
    That's exactly it. In the mid-nineties it was regular for there to be a few cars lapped 6 or 7 times in each race, now it's rarely more than 3. TAs you say, the reliability is what's making the slower teams now look particularly bad.

Marussia F1 (Virgin) should improve this year now that they have ditched using CFD and have access to McLarens wind tunnel and technical facilities so that should help them move in the right direction

Caterham should start scoring points this year too, they don't have excuses anymore.

Marussia and Caterham will improve this year, but HRT do need to get money into the team, because if they don't, they won't be going anywhere.

I will give Colin Kolles credit for keeping HRT going though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Collin Kolles is no longer with HRT as far as I know.

I see the FIA has banned the Lotus style reactive ride height system for 2012. That's one thing that always annoys me a bit. Some smart engineers come up with a clever idea and the FIA immediately ban it. Seems to be a sure-fire way to stifle innovation.

I think the only thing they didn't really "ban" recently was McLaren's f-duct which got morphed into the DRS system.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97127

G-Money wrote: »
    Collin Kolles is no longer with HRT as far as I know.

I see the FIA has banned the Lotus style reactive ride height system for 2012. That's one thing that always annoys me a bit. Some smart engineers come up with a clever idea and the FIA immediately ban it. Seems to be a sure-fire way to stifle innovation.

Yeah, Colin Kolles is no longer part of HRT.

As for the banning of the reactive ride height system, I think there is more to this story. The FIA gave Lotus the green light to go ahead with it last January.

I also think some team(s) kicked up a fuss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not sure if the brake system will have a real impact on the field, i read somewhere that it didn't have a huge cost attached to it like the F-Duct or blown diff so it wouldn't have had a huge impact on performance.

G-Money wrote: »

The rules are far too restrictive, and I think the FIA should relax them so teams can show off their technical abilities like what Lotus came up with.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Colin Kolles is no longer part of HRT.

As for the banning of the reactive ride height system, I think there is more to this story. The FIA gave Lotus the green light to go ahead with it last January.

I also think some team(s) kicked up a fuss about it.

Yup.
    Ferrari,
    As far as they are concerned they are the only team that should be allowed run illegal parts
    ie.Moveable floors for one

Advertisement