Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I won't be following F1 in 2012. I might catch some highlights but I won't be going out of my way to watch it.

I've been watching F1 for 20+ years now and have come close to giving up on it several times but after yet another season where the championship was more or less decided before halfway, where the number of drivers to reach the podium could be counted on one hand, and where team orders are still allowed determine results, I'm giving up.

I've been enjoying the bikes far more than the F1 for the last few years and have always prioritised the F1 - not any more. In MotoGP/SB you can have the lead change 5 times - on the last lap!!, races decided by .005 of a second!!, championships won by a single point... plus there's an Irish interest with the likes of Laverty and Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

amacachi wrote: »
    (I have my own idea that I don't think is in any of the cars, I'm awaiting their calls :pac:

Go on tell us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Only if the FIA are wimps and decide that they need to weed out some of the slower traffic. I'd say, the more cars the better. Just look at GP2 and GP3 for examples.

The most cars that would be on the grid for an F1 race would be 26. The last time there was a full grid was around 1995. If there was the same amount of cars in F1 these days as GP2/GP3, there would be pre-qualifying imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mickdw wrote: »
    Go on tell us:D
    No chance. :pac: It's something pretty simple I've never heard mentioned so I wonder if it's already around.
    Jordan 191 wrote: »
    The most cars that would be on the grid for an F1 race would be 26. The last time there was a full grid was around 1995. If there was the same amount of cars in F1 these days as GP2/GP3, there would be pre-qualifying imo.
    Other than Monaco there's no problem in my eyes with 28 cars or so once there weren't 5 seconds a lap between 1st and last. It would need a different qualifying system which would never happen aside from all the rest.

Found it! :)

trulli2-lg.jpg
    Knew it was banned for safety reasons! :pac:
    Scotty # wrote: »
    I won't be following F1 in 2012. I might catch some highlights but I won't be going out of my way to watch it.

I've been watching F1 for 20+ years now and have come close to giving up on it several times but after yet another season where the championship was more or less decided before halfway, where the number of drivers to reach the podium could be counted on one hand, and where team orders are still allowed determine results, I'm giving up.

I've been enjoying the bikes far more than the F1 for the last few years and have always prioritised the F1 - not any more. In MotoGP/SB you can have the lead change 5 times - on the last lap!!, races decided by .005 of a second!!, championships won by a single point... plus there's an Irish interest with the likes of Laverty and Rae.
    I find it odd how it's only the 2nd time in the last 5 years that the title wasn't hotly contested til the very last race, there's been far less competitive times in F1 than this. Still, whatever your buzz! :pac:

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Other than Monaco there's no problem in my eyes with 28 cars or so once there weren't 5 seconds a lap between 1st and last. It would need a different qualifying system which would never happen aside from all the rest.

I was looking at the fastest lap times from Brazil, the teams at the back were around 4-5 seconds off the pace from the fastest car. Lotus were about 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

5930803184_f63637c14b.jpg

Now, that extra wing is just weird and ugly lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Now, that extra wing is just weird and ugly lol.
    Looks to be seriously off-center too.

Oval racer maybe? :confused:

Top Dog wrote: »
    Looks to be seriously off-center too.

Oval racer maybe? :confused:

It does look off-centre, I'd say it's down to what angle the photo was taken at.

That extra wing showed up at Friday practice for the Monaco GP in 2001, and it was banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That arrows wing is centrally mounted. If you look closely, it is mounted on the nose of the car. I have no recollection of ever seeing that wing before though.

verstappen2-lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Damn its ugly! :eek:

Top Dog wrote: »
    Damn its ugly! :eek:

It sure is. Made a one off apperance before it was killed off.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I also wouldn't like to sitting in that cockpit if one of those wings decided to go walkabouts.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I also wouldn't like to sitting in that cockpit if one of those wings decided to go walkabouts.

At those speeds it would turn into a guillotine :eek:

aaronh007 wrote: »
    At those speeds it would turn into a guillotine :eek:

I think you are going a bit far fetched by using the word 'guillotine'.

I'd say the FIA were worried about the extra wing breaking off and penetrating the drivers visor like what happened with Senna when a piece of suspension penetrated his visor.

I can completely understand why wings like this were banned, enough drivers were killed in the late 70`s when they started putting mad looking wings on F1 cars.

I agree with all that.

Now here is a mad looking wing on a Brabham BT23C:

brabham27.jpg

And as for that wing on the Arrows, if it wasn't banned for safety, the would have banned if for aesthetics, like with those x-wings.

I'm trying to dig up more info on what lap times the Arrows achieved around the Monaco track with that hideous wing attached. I'm sure I have a copy of F1 Racing somewhere about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Man I was going to wade in with the obligitory March 711 Tea tray front wing but that just beats everything....ever. Cant believe I've never seen that one before.

Either way I'll post a pic because its my favourite driver, Ronnie Peterson.

456peterson.jpg

More wings here.

And on another note, do any of you think Renault/Lotus could win a race next year?

I think if they start next season like they did this season and continue to develop the car, I think they might have a shot at winning a race.

• Advertisement

I just love that boomerang style rear wing. Funky! :D

I also see the car was piloted by Michele Alboreto, last driver to win in a Tyrrell.

Front wing? Looks pretty straightforward to me.
    When I see things like that I wonder if I know the reason something doesn't work well or if I'm giving myself way too much credit. :pac:

I was talking to a work mate of mine who said one of his old Red Bull mentors used to drive that car. He said the front wing didnt last too long in test. I think its a really nice car to look at, very modern

It's a shame Tyrrell never raced with that wing. I see that there is some mesh type cover over the engine. Will let the air into the DFV and not allow anything to get into the trumpets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Scotty # wrote: »

I used to watch ALL the F1 races over the years. Race day used to be something special and I would never miss a race - my life was worked around the F1 race week-ends. However, with so many races on the calender these days, a race week-end has become much less a special time and I don't mind if I miss a few.

Incidentally, I have never been to see a F1 Grand Prix and at the prices these days, I never will go - not on my pension. Thanks Mr. B. E.

However, I have been to a Motorcycle GP, in Germany - about 1986. I didn't find it anything really special. Definitely prefer to watch it on TV.

Thats quite a common mod, although not as fancy as the duct tape mod I have used in the past :pac: Its got great lines the Tyrrell the rear wing looks like its off the new Lamborghini supercar.

I've seen that wire mesh was also used by some teams using the DFV/DFY/DFZ engines.

640px-Cosworth_DFV.jpg

The late 70's early 80's was an interesting tme in the sport. Lotus coming up with ground effect, Williams taking it a step further with moveable side skirts. The Brabham fan car which won the Swedish GP on it's one and only outing. Tyrrells boomerang wing.

I do like reading about those times in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭kksaints

Is there any pictures of the Brabham (I think) when the fan on the end of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

kksaints wrote: »
    Is there any pictures of the Brabham (I think) when the fan on the end of it?

Here you go

brabham-bt46b01.jpg

And here's another:

page__module__images__section__img_ctrl__img__66660__file__med

When the car wasn't racing, the fan was concealed with a dustbin lid. You can also see the exhausts for the Alfa Romeo flat 12 power plant.

The fan did the job by sucking the air out from underneath the car to give it enormous grip.

Apart from the shocking performance increase what really pissed off the drivers was apparently following it was a nightmare. Apparently it would suck up all the debris and fire it out the back of the car onto the following driver.

Yup, the BT46 attracted Mario Andretti's wrath. Was very difficult to drive aswell.
    Not a nice situation to be in for 30/40 laps and having been hit in the head by an exhaust at over 100mph I can agree!
    :eek:

• Advertisement

Not a nice situation to be in for 30/40 laps and having been hit in the head by an exhaust at over 100mph I can agree!

Crikey! How did that happen?

Advertisement