Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Girls when do we have to apply for maternity benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

Just had a quick search on cit info. It says 6 weeks before you intend to go on maternity leave or 12 if you're self employed.
    Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

Hi everyone,

I'm 12 weeks along, edd 19th July. This is my 4th pregnancy but this is as far as I have gotten so things are looking up. Off work at the minute with terrible morning/all day sickness although today I'm fine! :D Have had 2 scans so far, have seen the heartbeat and baby bouncing around. Kind of nervous though coz my next scan isn't til the 26th. Hope everyone is happy and healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

nix84 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm 12 weeks along, edd 19th July. This is my 4th pregnancy but this is as far as I have gotten so things are looking up. Off work at the minute with terrible morning/all day sickness although today I'm fine! :D Have had 2 scans so far, have seen the heartbeat and baby bouncing around. Kind of nervous though coz my next scan isn't til the 26th. Hope everyone is happy and healthy!
    Welcome nix and best of luck, I'm 12 weeks too with edd July 18th. No scan until tue week! Can't wait!
    Hope everything goes good for you this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Welcome Nix, and congrats on the impending bump :)

theg81der, thinking of you hon - as cyning said, try not to worry. Just take good care of yourself and remember, you had a really positive scan! Concentrate on that whenever you get concerned.

Mamaheidi - what an absolute wagon. When hubby and I got engaged, my MIL was very negative, she couldn't understand why we were 'wasting' our money on a 'massive' wedding (we had a whopping 50 guests :rolleyes:). We tried brushing it off, but it really got hubby down after a while, and like yours, she lived a long way away (in another country in our case). Personally, I would have your bf call/email her just to say that he would really appreciate her support during the pregnancy, and felt that based on her reaction, she wasn't really on board, and he'd like for her to be as happy as you both are. The ball is in her court then, and at least you haven't let is slide completely - but have still been very diplomatic given the circumstances. Best of luck with it.

I realised I've been eating too much Vit A - i had checked to see if foie gras was safe to eat because the inlaws have it over christmas, and read that when
    it was pasteurized it should be ok. But in one of the leaflets I got yesterday, it said that all liver was to be avoided not because of listeria, but because it has a lot of Vit A - and you shouldn't have too much of that when pregnant. I hope no damage was done, and the waving baby scan has my mind mainly at rest, but i'll be avoiding it like the plague for the next 6 months!

Best of luck to the lucky ladies going for scans in the next week or so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

theg81der lots of rest and eat well. Have they said whether they are going to put you back on meds for the seizures yet? I haven't had any more seizures but sometimes if I dont eat. I get very very dizzy and nearly pass out but I usually get myself to sit down and breathe for a few minutes and Im grand but Im putting this down to low sugar levels.

Mamaheidi - I can't even imagine how awful that must be for you and your BF. I only told my parents yesterday and thank god they are both thrilled. I was very worried that they would be negative about it. When I start seeing my now Fiance they were dead against him as he was alot older and had just come out of a relationship of 10 years. His ex GF caused an awful lot of trouble for us up until very recently. We've been together for 3 years now and are very happy.

We had out first scan yesterday and it was great. Baby was jumping around having a rave on its head. I'm 14 and a half weeks. Bit more than I expected so my due date is now the 2nd of July not the 8th. I couldn't get over how much you can see.

Has anyone thought about doing any diagnostic tests? We are thinking about it. The Lourdes don't do them so we would have to go elsewhere but any thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

notsobusy wrote: »
    theg81der lots of rest and eat well. Have they said whether they are going to put you back on meds for the seizures yet? I haven't had any more seizures but sometimes if I dont eat. I get very very dizzy and nearly pass out but I usually get myself to sit down and breathe for a few minutes and Im grand but Im putting this down to low sugar levels.

No they haven`t a clue really about petit mal and I couldn`t honestly say whether its that or my heart. This is the third time its happened and the 2nd time my heart restarted itself. The only common thing is that my blood sugar suddenly dropped when I wasn`t hungry - was sitting eating when it happened the other day. Feeling little less worried thou cause have bad ms at the mo.

Has anyone thought about doing any diagnostic tests? We are thinking about it. The Lourdes don't do them so we would have to go elsewhere but any thoughts??

I have a 17 yo down syndrome niece, my sister was in her early 30's when she had her and it wasn't picked up during the pregnancy.
    While I wouldn't have any formal tests to find out, I was curious to know if there was an increased chance I could have a DS baby. But doc told me my sis was just unfortunate and it doesn't have any make any difference to me.

My oh had really bad chrons disease, he had to have multiple surgeries and faces more in the future. I think it can be hereditary, and he's concerned about that as he doesn't want his child to go through what he's gone through in the last few years. But I don't think there is anyway of knowing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm getting the Nuchal Fold/Translucency Test (NT) done week after next. They scan and look for markers of DS and other serious abnormalities and do bloods as well. You can only get this particular test done between 11.2 and 13.6 weeks. It's costing me €250 at Charter Medical, which I don't have and would rather spend on other things but I personally just want the peace of mind and know now so can be prepared etc.

The other option after that is amniocentesis where they draw amniotic fluids but there is a chance of something like 1 in 350 of miscarriage so I want to avoid anything invasive like that. Also CVS where they take a sample from the placenta, again there is a risk of miscarriage but it will give you pretty much 100% results either way. So if you get a "high-risk" assessment from the NT scan, you can then make a decision to get a definitive test like Amnio or CVS.

Getting the NT test done was something my OH and I discussed even while we were TTC that we would get done, it's just something we personally want to get checked out. I don't know anyone else who got the test done and there is no DS in either of our families so the chances of it are extremely slight.

Thanks for the info mink my OH has a sister who is mentally disabled so this is something we are concerned about.

• Advertisement

I've missed the gap for nuchal scan then. i thought i was 13 weeks but im 14 and a half weeks gone. going to ring round a few hospitals and see what they can do for me. would like to get scan done first and then do amnio if they think i needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

14 weeks today !!! Isn't time just flying? Meant to have my scan tomorrow but have a stupid software testing exam!!
    Nursery furniture is being delivered on Tuesday. Anybody else started binge spending??

Like the total nerd I am, I got a "Muggle Born" Newborn Tshirt Yesterday-Can't help myself!

javagal wrote: »
    14 weeks today !!! Isn't time just flying? Meant to have my scan tomorrow but have a stupid software testing exam!!
    Nursery furniture is being delivered on Tuesday. Anybody else started binge spending??

Like the total nerd I am, I got a "Muggle Born" Newborn Tshirt Yesterday-Can't help myself!

I'm a bit superstitious about stuff like that. This sounds very selfish and presumptious, but we're going to wait and see what family and friends offer or buy too. There's been a few babies over the last few years in his extended family so hopefully they'll want to pass stuff on.

Was with a pregnant friend today and she was telling me about all these great offers in Mothercare at the minute. She was trying to convince us to pick up some stuff, because we would save a lot, but surely they'll be on sale again closer to July!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just a quick question. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant and we currently live in Taiwan. We are moving back to Ireland mid Feb. I was wondering can we make hospital appointments ourselves or do we need to get a doctor to refer us? Its our first babies so the whole procedure is new to us. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

javagal wrote: »

Love the Harry Potter t-shirt :)

I haven't bought anything yet, both my mother and MIL have had canniptions about the very idea, and they have infected hubby with it. So, i'm just doing a lot of online research and deciding what to buy when I am no longer 'tempting fate'. Hubby did buy me a dream genii pillow thingy - i'm really looking forward to a comfy nights sleep.

What brands/models did you go with?
    kildareash wrote: »
    Was with a pregnant friend today and she was telling me about all these great offers in Mothercare at the minute. She was trying to convince us to pick up some stuff, because we would save a lot, but surely they'll be on sale again closer to July!

I'm avoiding all baby shops like the plague - I know I couldn't resist if I actually went in! But as you say, there will have to be a Summer Sale or Easter Sale or something - we'll be grand!
    Just a quick question. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant and we currently live in Taiwan. We are moving back to Ireland mid Feb. I was wondering can we make hospital appointments ourselves or do we need to get a doctor to refer us? Its our first babies so the whole procedure is new to us. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi MickGer, congrats to you and your wife!
    Unfortunately, I have no idea if you can just make an appointment - I do know most of us on here were referred by our GP, so I assume thats the norm. You could try calling the maternity unit of the hospital to ask them though?

I'm back at work today - grrr. Luckily I work from home, and actually haven't got out of the very warm bed yet. It's not so bad :)

I think my morning sickness might be a thing of the past. I haven't had any queasiness for about a week now. Yay! I have developped a little bit of what I can only assume is heartburn (a burning sensation at the back of my throat?), but only late at night, and nothing that Gaviscon tablets can't cure, so Iin the overall scheme of things - I'm a happy bunny.

Hope everyone else is feeling well (especially cyning! are you still in the hospital? sending you some virtual feel better hugs!)

I have excess stomach acid anyway, I had to stop taking stomach tablets when I found out I was pregnant. Cue horrible reflux and heartburn.
    I find sleeping propped out really helps, except the nights when I slide down on my pillows and wake up with a sore neck!ha!

kildareash wrote: »
    I have excess stomach acid anyway, I had to stop taking stomach tablets when I found out I was pregnant. Cue horrible reflux and heartburn.
    I find sleeping propped out really helps, except the nights when I slide down on my pillows and wake up with a sore neck!ha!

Same problem went to doctor and he informed me that you don`t suffer from acid in your first trimester - very helpful to know its imaginery acid then! I am taking rennie`s - don`t have a choice my stomach bleeds otherwise. Are you taking rennie`s or gavisgon?

I'm taking gaviscon, but gp advised to only take it in moderation! I'm trying to avoid foods I know will set it off, but it's difficult when the list keeps getting longer.
    Raw onion had me in bits before Xmas, took me a few days to pinpoint the exact cause but I thought I was going to burn a hole in my oesphagus.
    A glass of milk helps sometimes if it's only mild.

Woke up at 2.15 last night famished..had to get an oul sambo !!

Wait till you're craving something crazy at that time of the morning! Don't know how people managed years ago without 24hr shops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Kept waking up myself in the last few weeks at 2-3am starving so my hubby gets kicked outta bed to get me snacks!! Yes I`m milking it...:D:D
    Now i`m having a small snack 30mins before bedtime and that helps...
    Also a full jar of pickled gherkins is only 55 calories and 4g fiber Win:Win ;)
    Off to Dr. in the morning to hear heartbeat so fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Girls just about all the tests youve been mentioning, my aunt (my mums sister) and my sister both have DS,ive never been offered any kind of tests with any of my other pregnancies but just thinking about them now.. Ive proberbly missed the timescale though have i?

Girls just about all the tests youve been mentioning, my aunt (my mums sister) and my sister both have DS,ive never been offered any kind of tests with any of my other pregnancies but just thinking about them now.. Ive proberbly missed the timescale though have i?

How many weeks are you? This is what really annoys me about some hospitals. majority of DS babies are born to women under 35 as the Drs think there should be no risk.

I didnt get offered them either had to go looking for the info myself. my gp is great and very supportive.

The rotunda do a second trimester scan and bloodwork feom 14 to 21 weeks to test for DS. then if there's a high risk you can opt for the amnio.

There is also a fetal anomaly scan done from 18 weeks. this can be very good. alot of the clinics like ultrasound.ie offer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Still in hospital... Starting to get very frustrated by it all now :( I'm having to get meds to bring down inflammation and acid three times a day by iv and pulled another muscle in my side so had iv paracetamol too... And fluids!!! On plus side id scan today and baby doing perfect still so that's the main thing!!!

When I raised my concerns about DS with my doc, he said the trend they were seeing now was v young girls and older ladies.

@Tinkerbell - if you're concerned talk to ur GP. I was curious more concerned because of my niece and my GP really allayed my curiosities.

Booked a scan for Thursday...it's been killing me reading all your posts about seeing your little bundles, although I'm absolutely delighted for all of ye. We were chatting about it at the wkend and decided we Cldnt wait another 5-6 weeks for the hospital one. Thursday can't come quick enough now :)

@cyning, sorry to hear your still in hospital. My OH spent six straight months in hospital, so I have some idea how you're feeling.
    You almost become institutionalised after just a few days.
    All the books or DVDs in the world Cldnt fill all the time.

Great to hear the baby is doing really well, that must have lifted your spirits a bit. Hopefully the sickness will start to ease off soon x

Ive just booked myself into newry clinic for a scan and a triple blood test. just as i got off the phone my local hospital want me to come back in for more bloods and another appointment. so hope all is ok :-(

Ive just booked myself into newry clinic for a scan and a triple blood test. just as i got off the phone my local hospital want me to come back in for more bloods and another appointment. so hope all is ok :-(

Fingers crossed for you hope you and babs are ok. I`m in drogheda tomorrow for scan.

Got my scan resheduled for friday, KildareAsh have you rang portlaoise??

• Advertisement

Got maternity jeans in the post today from newlook online, they were only 15gbp.
    They are still big but the waist is elastic so you could get away with wearing them now and they are amazingly comfy.

Advertisement