Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Massive props for trying when you knew in your heart that this would not be your day.

Exactly, you will go into the next one with lots of faith now

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Exactly, you will go into the next one with lots of faith now
    Thats kinda what the coach said. To be fair, he was very encouraging, he knows I work at it but it just didnt happen on the night. :) When I said I would practice, he said dont - take a break!

Cheers for the encouragement. This was yet another lesson from boardsies in How To Actually HTFU And Not Just Say I Do. Without this log I wouldnta bothered.

Still feel like warm shoite today, but plan a short run later, sweat this bugger out of me. Plus I have less than 20k to go to reach my last challenge target. Be nice to hit it before Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah crap, once you hit the third target you'll be way ahead of me unless I do about 50k in the pool over the next two weeks and close the gap on the swim. :)

Ah crap, once you hit the third target you'll be way ahead of me unless I do about 50k in the pool over the next two weeks and close the gap on the swim. :)
    I would not put that past you..

Ran for 30 mins. Not quite to plan, but something. Felt ok but am sleepy now :) Trouble is, I have 20 things to do before I can sleep. Oh, the joys of Christmas.

• Advertisement

Turbo last night. Did an hour though I did get interrupted halfway which wasn't the best. But with kids what can you do? If they need ya, they need ya. Felt ok but probably didn't work hard enough. More z1 than z2.

Slept in this morning so had to leap outta bed and rush to the swim. Twenty minutes from pillow to pool and fifteen of that was driving. :) I don't know if it was the rush or the lack of breakfast, or the remnants of this dose, but the swim was hard. Kept having to stop, everything was tired. Only managed 1320. Even if you think you are 100% the swim will find you out if youre really not.

But on the plus side, I was home, having collected my turkey and ham and all the rest of xmas dinner stuff before 9. Not too shabby a start :)

Joined the usual training group for a xc run. I was tight for time so I ran the 1.6m to the meet point just to get a bit extra done. Two 1.6 mile loops of rocks and mud and ponds was tough going. I was really feeling the after effects of being sick. Body was not strong. Each loop took 18 mins approx. Everyone else continued for a third loop but I split off to get home by nine. 7.8 miles made it a good run, and brought me over the magical 1000k in the s/b/r challenge - finally! Now, I'm going to rest for a day or two. I kinda need it :)

Unlike some of the tougher folk around here I'm taking two days rest over Christmas. Need to recover from this dose, I'm still coughing like a chain smoker. In spite of this I went and did the usual charity sea swim. Was a good laugh. Backstroke in a Santa hat and runners musta looked funny. Cold but not as bad as last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm the same. Sudden shivers and pains yesterday evening, had to hit the bed at 5 or so and didn't get up till this morning. :eek:

Much better today but I've been knocking back the uniflu. Don't think it's flu really, think it was my body reacting to this mornings planned long cycle which had to be abandoned.

Happy Christmas. :)

Happy Christmas to you too. :) I noticed you ran yesterday. I couldn't have run a bath. Lots of illnesses around right now everyones sick! No point telling you to do anything but train through it. Cos you will anyway. Hope your flu is short lived. :)

• Advertisement

Got my hungover head up late this morning and straight onto the turbo. An hour involving spin ups one leg and a lovely force session. One way of getting the alcohol out of the system!

No hangover today and no excuse not to do a good session. 5k run then into the pool for 2k. Turned out quite pleasant once I got into it. Tho I'm still coughing and runny nosed which made the swim and more particularly the nose clip a bit of an experience. And had a teensy bit of pool rage when the guy sharing the lane kicked or hit me every single time he passed me by. I mean jeez man, its swimming, not a combat sport!

The holiday season continues, and a late start and visitors meant that I could only fit in a short turbo set today. 45 mins but worked hard. Another busy day tomorrow will probably screw things up as well but hope to get something done, long as I can stay off the alcohol. Unlike today when I am practically pickled in the stuff. Good tho. :)

Nice swim this morning. Started with various drills then did one long continuous swim of 1.2k, concentrating on the latter part of the stroke and rotation and keeping form good for the whole swim instead of letting it go ragged as I tired. Total 2200m. 60 mins.

Eight am and I'm in the sea again. The warm up to our xc run meant wading in to our knees, but big waves meant I got a proper soaking. Which was kinda fun. Interval sets today. Running point to point with a few pushups and a change of pace at every stage. Into more water and big bleedin dunes to contend with too. Body really felt the climbs. On the return leg I found my stride and finished hard. When the others left I did another two miles on the road cos the run was a bit short. Once i got home I got into cycling shorts and did 35 mins 100 rpm on the turbo. Had to get a bit of bike in today!

First day of my new training year. :) Had wanted to go out on the bike but it was lashing rain and I hadn't enough htfu in stock so I hopped on the turbo instead. 70 mins, 5 w/u 60 held steady at the top end of z2, head down just me and P!nk, then 5 c/d. I see it as my first visit to the pain cave that will become my home. :) Plan to extend out that session as the time goes on. Did a short kettlebell session straight afterwards.

So this week I hit my swim target, was over the bike target by an hour which I don't mind, and my run was below by 50 mins. My hours went a bit over the 7 planned, but I'm not being too rigid anyway. I feel better finally but I must be one of the few people who lost weight over Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'd stay away from jackyback's thread with such talk of listening to P!nk. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'd stay away from jackyback's thread with such talk of listening to P!nk. ;)
    I'm a gurl, its allowed! I've had foo fighters all week and I needed a change. :) P!nk works surprisingly well for turbo but I do need to update my ipod!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm a gurl, its allowed! I've had foo fighters all week and I needed a change. :) P!nk works surprisingly well for turbo but I do need to update my ipod!

I totally know what you mean about an iPod update....I need to do a some sprucing up in that department as well. Right now I'm a little hung up on two songs by Christina Augilera from the soundtrack Burlesque - "Show Me How You Burlesque" and "The Beautiful People". Ugh....never thought I'd admit I listen to her! And then there's Imelda May's version of "Tainted Love"......

Happy New Year. I hope all of your goals are met in the coming year. :)

No choons today for my short run. 5.9k (Shoulda made it six!) Then into the pool. Same as last time I did a warm up then a mix of drills. Last 1100 was a straight swim concentrating on good form. I had mentioned to one of the staff guys I know that I need technique coaching so two of the staff had a look at my swim and I got some really helpful feedback. Some obvious issues there and a good coach has been recommended for one on one training to improve the glitches in my stroke.

• Advertisement

Turbo. With a sick mix of music to make the real men of this forum hurl. I'll spare ya the playlist. :) 70 mins. Warm up. Single legs. Spin ups. Then on the 53, up thru the gears holding the heartrate at 150. Two mins per gear up and down (skipped the two easiest) cool down. Then did 20 mins of core work. Another day done. I notice everyone else here is going mad with stats, I choose not to record them here, I do write some stuff down in my manual log. But right or wrong, too many numbers wreck my head and I don't check them anyway.

Had a little time to spare this evening so I managed to get a run in. It had been raining and I thought I'd get soaked but the gods were kind for once and it stayed off. Started well but hills and traffic lights slowed progress towards the end. And just to be stat-tastic for once to prove I can:

39.48min. 4.45miles/7.16km.
    Kms: 4.57/5.13/5.20/5.41/5.30/5.48/6.25/.52

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

And just to be stat-tastic for once to prove I can:

39.48min. 4.45miles/7.16km.
    Kms: 4.57/5.13/5.20/5.41/5.30/5.48/6.25/.52

Where are the elevation and heart rate stats :confused:

catweazle wrote: »
    Where are the elevation and heart rate stats :confused:
    How can I measure heartrate when according to my oh I'm a heartless cow? :)

Turbo. 50 mins @ 100 rpm. I find this a hard session, the minute I take my eyes off the readout my cadence drops. All the more reason to keep doing it.

Big ring, easiest gears. Resist between two and three. Hr av 145*. Therefore needs work. And more Chemical Bros.

* I do have a heart!

Swim. I use one of two pools depending on on my timetable, today was the 20m warm one, which I'm not so keen on. Energy has been great this week, and I felt good warming up. I tried to make the changes to my stroke that I've been told I need but it takes focus. I was just getting into my drills when the chap sharing the lane decided to chat. And chat. And chat. Ten minutes and I'm beginning to prune. I'm too polite with people. Eventually he got the hint but I had to warm up all over again. Still got a good set done, definitely felt that I was getting more power from each stroke as long as I concentrated on keeping form right. Its still a bit broke but going in the right direction.

And I finally told him indoors about IM. (don't ask) Went about as well as expected, ie not. But another hurdle tackled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Swim. I use one of two pools depending on on my timetable, today was the 20m warm one, which I'm not so keen on. Energy has been great this week, and I felt good warming up. I tried to make the changes to my stroke that I've been told I need but it takes focus. I was just getting into my drills when the chap sharing the lane decided to chat. And chat. And chat. Ten minutes and I'm beginning to prune. I'm too polite with people. Eventually he got the hint but I had to warm up all over again. Still got a good set done, definitely felt that I was getting more power from each stroke as long as I concentrated on keeping form right. Its still a bit broke but going in the right direction.

And I finally told him indoors about IM. (don't ask) Went about as well as expected, ie not. But another hurdle tackled!

I mentioned ultra running last week and was asked when am i moving out:D

How is the cycling going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Gender Balance exists :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good to hear it works both ways:)

A recent conversation of mine went...

Mrs.I: How come you are spending so much time on the turbo?
    Me: Ehh, this gig in Abu Dhabi...has a slightly longer bike leg.
    Mrs I: How long?
    Me: Ummmm, errr, ehhhh..200k?
    Mrs I: &%^*!!! You told me it was a triathlon...that is an Ironman!!!!
    Me: Definitely not an IM, slightly longer than a regular tri (was about to point out the finer points of WTC and the IM brand, but probably not the time....)
    Mrs I: There are 3 of us in this marriage, etc, etc.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Classic stuff folks! :D

I got a look that could kill last night.

OH - I'll feed the baby tonight. That alright?
    Me - Yes. I'll get up in the morning so.
    OH - You going to bed?
    Me - No, going out on the turbo
    OH - LOOK THAT COULD KILL :eek:

• Advertisement

How is the cycling going ?
    Cycling? What cycling? :) Yup. That bad. :)

During the IM conversation I got accused of having an affair with some mysterious fellow triathlete. He needn't worry. If I'm training fifteen hours a week I WON'T HAVE BLOODY TIME. :)

Advertisement