Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

As I spun on the bike tonight trying to make up lost mileage and fretting over not having easy access to a pool while I see my swim drop in the rankings, I tried to convince myself that there really wasn't anything wrong with a three hour 10,000 yard swim on Sundays until my pool opens in 3-4 months. I blame catweazle for all of this.

Oh....and I think Oryx is the smart one by pacing herself. It's only January 10th people! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pacing? Pacing!? I'm barely meeting my own targets, theres no strategy here!

55 min turbo. Sweaty. Found it hard to get the hr up to 80% I think because my legs are tired. Or maybe turbo sets first thing just don't suit me. But its done at least. 3hr 25 out of the nine required. Not good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well I wouldn't expect me to keep it up, I've just had spare time - with 55 miles running planned for this week I won't have as much time for the rest of it. Been nice maintaining a top 5 spot for over a week though. :)

Edit: Early morning turbo sessions. Don't sound like fun, ran at 10am yesterday and that felt too early. Only thing I can do in the mornings is swim. Used to do all my runs in the morning, but I was mad slow back then..

Early mornings will have to be my friend. I need to be finished by 8 to get the kids to school. I'll get used to it :) 55 miles of running.. Jesus wept..

More turbo. Its like groundhog day. But its all I can do these dark mornings when I dont have the time to get to a swim. (I have a treadmill but I havent used it for over a year because I hate running on it so bad). Hopefully over the weekend I'll catch up a bit on the running front.

50 mins 80% approx other settings as before but pushing a harder gear than previous.

• Advertisement

Am away but still managed to get some quality training in because the SBR challenge has made me a bit obsessive. (Normally I would have canned it). Totalled 8 hrs 16 mins this week which is short of the 9 hour target. This is not ideal but at least I am still increasing the time and effort. Next week is a ten hour week, and Im doing advanced mathematical calculations and time and motion studies to see how the hell Im going to fit it in a normal weeks work. Early alarm calls will be required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oryx wrote: »
    Next week is a ten hour week, and Im doing advanced mathematical calculations and time and motion studies to see how the hell Im going to fit it in a normal weeks work. Early alarm calls will be required!

This is something I'd love to know how ye all manage- I've been working part-time for a long time so the increase in my training over the last few months has been easy enough to fit into my life but now I'm back working full time I cant comprehend how ye all fit so much training in around work and family and everything. I'm exhausted after one week of it! And you see how low I am in the challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Bally8 wrote: »
    This is something I'd love to know how ye all manage- I've been working part-time for a long time so the increase in my training over the last few months has been easy enough to fit into my life but now I'm back working full time I cant comprehend how ye all fit so much training in around work and family and everything. I'm exhausted after one week of it! And you see how low I am in the challenge!

I agree! I work (more than) full time, but I don't have kids.....so I definitely tip my hat to those who do have kids and still get their workouts in!

Rested yesterday, was travelling most of the day anyway. Turbo this morning. 60 mins. Was quite nice, as I was keeping it at 75-80%. I read an interesting article in a tri magazine over the weekend about the benefit of lower intensity work over high. Apparently the optimum ratio for making gains at longer distance races is using three zones based on hr, Z1/Z2/Z3 at 80%/10%/10%. With the (hr) zones divided as follows: Z1 <75%, Z2 <85%, Z3 85%+ (just going from memory on that one). Increasing Z2 work over 10% of your total showed little benefit.

Or is this just an excuse not to work as hard? :)

Swim session. Coach must not have taken his happy pills today. Ten minutes of core work while he barked at us constantly, before we even got in the pool. Then we were supposed to do 400m butterfly to warm up. I say supposed to because when he saw how disastrously badly we were doing, he cut it short. About 90% of the people there have never been taught bf so I mean, cmon :) I then had to swim with glove paddles. Not sure of the correct name but they are hard work, heavy and dragging. After that the bulk of the set was without them, 3 x 400m, with the first and last 100 of each fast, the middle sustained. Then a swim down. 2k, I think.

• Advertisement

Turbo again this morning in what is becoming my regular early morning slot. I'm really getting to like it, its a little bit of calm space before anyone else gets up. Just me and the radio. I was attempting to get the hr to 80% but I did struggle to maintain it, I tended to drift lower if I lost focus. But its all base and its all got to help. Every time it feels hard I tell myself I'm loading it in to take it back out on d-day. :)

Don't know how you all do such regular turbo sessions. I'm going to have to learn to love my turbo and fit it's use into my schedule. I'd rather spend the time cycling up one big, steep hill than stare at the floor/out the window at the back garden.

Don't know how you all do such regular turbo sessions. I'm going to have to learn to love my turbo and fit it's use into my schedule. I'd rather spend the time cycling up one big, steep hill than stare at the floor/out the window at the back garden.
    I dont stare anywhere. I shut my eyes, head down, and grind. :p It does help to have planned sessions tho, breaks up the time and keeps you focussed on the numbers.

I dont stare anywhere. I shut my eyes, head down, and grind. :p It does help to have planned sessions tho, breaks up the time and keeps you focussed on the numbers.

The one time I've tried that I had no energy during the warm up never mind the rest. :)

But yeah, I've loads of sessions I can do it's just getting a chance to set up and do them/motivating myself to set up and do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It does help to have planned sessions tho, breaks up the time and keeps you focussed on the numbers.

+1

It's a waste of time getting on the turbo without a plan. You'll be bored senseless in minutes.

Fair play on the early mornings Oryx

I've also learned its a total waste of time getting on the turbo without a hrm, or without knowing your hr zones. :) I do have a class I can go to, which is great for making you work hard, and I have got tips on technique there, but so much of what the guy does goes contrary to every other turbo session Ive looked up, that Im reluctant to keep going. So Im going to keep these sessions up and hope that I can motivate myself to work to the right levels. Thats the hard bit. Pushing so hard you make sounds like a dying animal, and puddle sweat on the floor, by yourself. :)

Last night my timetable got screwed up, so I didnt get out for a run after work as planned. This meant that in order to get something, anything, done, I had to resort to my beloved treadmill. The biggest surprise was that after a year of not being used, it still worked. I did realise WHY it hadnt been used very quickly though. I bloody hate it. :) Trotted for a half an hour on it, which is something at least, but it was damn hot and much, much harder than running outside. But I think with the hours increasing, Im going to have to make friends with it. I envisage a few late night runs on it over the coming weeks.

And oh yes, its groundhog day again. Turbo when I reluctantly got up. 1 hour, warm up, single legs, then into a high cad session. It was meant to be 100rpm but as usual as soon as I let my mind drift so did the cadence. Must. Work. Harder.

Ran last night. On the road! In the dark! And it was raining! And I loved it! :) Boo hiss to the treadmill (which I will have to hit again tonight probably). Just a short jog, 7.25k but felt very nice.

Swam this morning. 2050 in one long hit, 50mins. No drills, no heartache, no bleedin butterfly. I like sessions like that. Will have to somehow get more time to spare though, I need to start cranking up the distance, seeing as increased speed isnt an option.

Fingers crossed, I feel good this week. Low intensity sessions are not tiring at all so far. I will look back on this entry and weep in about 6 weeks time. :)

Ran this morning once it was bright enough to see where I was going. Felt stiff and slow at first, that took a while to ease out. Did just over 11k in an hour but the latter part was much faster than heading out. One day left in the week and almost 3 hours still to do. This time management lark needs more work. :)

Ran this morning once it was bright enough to see where I was going. Felt stiff and slow at first, that took a while to ease out. Did just over 11k in an hour but the latter part was much faster than heading out. One day left in the week and almost 3 hours still to do. This time management lark needs more work. :)

A 20 mile run will sort that 3 hours out! :D

• Advertisement

It'll be a bike run split but I'll try to run at least ten miles. :)

Got up just a squeak later than intended today, but straight onto the turbo as planned. 70 sweaty mins there doin a mixed up set of single legs, spinning out of the saddle, and a force set up thru the gears. My tired legs really made it hard to push and keep the stats up. But I did try so I wouldn't class it as a junk session.

A quick change and out for my long run. Nice day for it. I don't know whats up with this mild January weather but it sure makes running pleasant. Apart from the wind of course. 95 minutes at very mixed paces, the hilly route and strong wind slowed me down on some parts. On the flat I was hitting 8.1 mm but one particularly tough section I would have walked faster. :) I did get to just over ten miles, which means I hit my planned ten hours this week and also hit the correct targets for each discipline which I hadn't been doing. So a good week. The only thing now is to try and do the longer blocks as per the plan, (I tend to chop them up to fit my schedule) but more daylight should help with fitting longer sessions in.

And now I have to clean my house, cook Sunday lunch and do the ironing. Iron man? He don't do it my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey Oryx, you seem to be going very well and hitting your Jan targets.

Don't think I ever did a brick in prep for IM, so already you are well ahead of me!

I'd love to tell you the bricks are all planned but unfortunately they only happen because I havent managed to get everything done earlier in the week. :)

It says a lot about my life right now that 7.45am is a lie in. :) Got the kids off to school and straight to the pool. I want to start upping the distance a bit so this was an extra set. 2600m in 70 mins. Felt easy and not tiring which is great. Hopefully speed will increase too if I keep working at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

It says a lot about my life right now that 7.45am is a lie in. :) Got the kids off to school and straight to the pool. I want to start upping the distance a bit so this was an extra set. 2600m in 70 mins. Felt easy and not tiring which is great. Hopefully speed will increase too if I keep working at it.

7 is a lie on in my house:(

Kettlebells tonight. Not too hard, stuck with 12kg after the swim earlier because its kinder on the shoulders, and have another swim tomorrow. Nice set, swings, squats, pushups, cleans, bent over row, press and deadlifts. God knows how many reps, I wasn't counting. That counts as my core work this week. Its not part of the plan but I'll probably substitute it for a run because it does have a cardio element.

Turbo. 50 mins. It was hot. That is all.

Coached swim session. This was an intense set, coach is on a mission to get our distance up. I LOVED it. First we had our ten mins of hardcore core, then straight into the water. 400m w/u mixed front and back crawl. 4 x 100m fc with the last 25 fc kick. 7 x 50m golf score. 12 x 50m fc with pull and paddles. 11 x 50m 25easy/25sprint. 100m swim down.
    Thats my kind of set. Short breaks of 10 seconds, Lots of varied work, keep the head busy. Hope he does more of this stuff.

• Advertisement

I know this is getting repetitive. Turbo. Or should I say cycle trainer just for variety? Either way 55 mins. 100 rpm set except for a few drifts down when I lost focus. Learning to love it through gritted teeth.

Advertisement