Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

And I thought it was only in my house this happened.......

St Stephens Morning:
    Mrs: Ok dinner's on - keep an eye on it and the kids, I'm going out for a walk.
    Me: Eehhh, how long will you be and what time will dinner be due at?
    Mrs: Why?
    Me: I have to do a run.
    Mrs: How long?
    Me: About 15 miles / 2.15hrs
    Mrs: &*$%^
    Cue rest of the day trying to get back on her good side:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Definitely a separate thread required; Tricky A/R/T conversations....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

At last! I thought I was the only one with that particular struggle ongoing! I 'officially' only started my IM training at home this week (previous training was off radar as much as possible and explained as maintenance :)) and already I'm being queried on how much I'm doing, how much longer will this be going on for, am I trying to kill myself, why do you want to be tired all the time, etc.
    Some days are better than others though and we have committed to going to Austria via a family holiday in Italy which is now booked :).
    Oh well only another 25 weeks of domestic strife :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You should all stop training for a week and be attentive partners, they'll be so annoyed with having you around all of a sudden they'll be dying for you to start training again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I've started to use the line that i'm diabetic and its VERY important for me to exercise.

"Marathon and half IM training won't be enough darling, soon i'll need to do even more to keep the disease at bay";)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

In fairness to Mrs C I can't ever really remember about getting grief for training or race entries.

My war story

Had my hands on a new TT bike and had got agreement from Mrs C over the xmas. Mentioned to her on tuesday that I had agreed a price with the guy and was going to pull the trigger. Cue panic and spending the college fund for our 5 week old child on a bike :rolleyes:

So either I am back to square 1 again with negotiating tactics or my turbo sessions on my shiny new TT bike are going to be in pgibbos shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

You should all stop training for a week and be attentive partners, they'll be so annoyed with having you around all of a sudden they'll be dying for you to start training again.

That happened after DCM, she couldn't see all her Sky+ programmes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Oryx wrote: »

During the IM conversation I got accused of having an affair with some mysterious fellow triathlete. He needn't worry. If I'm training fifteen hours a week I WON'T HAVE BLOODY TIME. :)

Or the energy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

If you don't have the energy it means you're overtraining!!! :D

catweazle wrote: »
    So either I am back to square 1 again with negotiating tactics or my turbo sessions on my shiny new TT bike are going to be in pgibbos shed.

You wouldn't be the first person to hide something there! Plenty of room too! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ronanmac wrote: »
    Or the energy :D

After a six hour bike ride I won't want to, ever again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Just wait until you've been married to the same man (or woman) for as many years as I have. You'll have no trouble training for a triple iron man! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

This is so so true not to mention when i am not training my time management goes out the window and i revert to semi slob.

Well I'm another year older. :) To celebrate I did a nice long training session. Sure what else can you do for fun when you get to my age? A lsr of 19.5k and a 2k swim brought me back on target for the week after an unplanned rest day yesterday. (yet more stomach issues) I'm happy with what I got done this week, a decent bit of mileage to start the year well. And another week ticked off on the schedule.

So, it's your birthday??!! Well a very happy birthday to you! I hope you get a bit spoiled today by your family and friends...and I will raise my glass of chilled white wine in your honor tonight and toast you, turbo queen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Happy birthday Oryx!

Big year for you in 2012 - sounds like you are making a great start to the training block for IMAT...

Izoard wrote: »
    Happy birthday Oryx!

Big year for you in 2012 - sounds like you are making a great start to the training block for IMAT...
    Just trying to get close to the plan at the moment. Not sticking to it exactly but putting in the hours at least. And still enjoying it which is the important thing. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I keep trying to ignore it :)

Toasting you now with a very nice Vouvray. Sláinte!

I toasted myself with Bulmers cider. Common as muck but effective. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Belated birthday wishes!
    Catching up with your log, an impressive assault on IM training...

• Advertisement

Belated birthday wishes. Hope the jungle juice went down well! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I toasted myself with Bulmers cider. Common as muck but effective. :)

Happy brithday, all serious tri heads drink the Bulmers Light option:D

Nothing today but a LONG four hour walk trekking thru woods. (very fun) and 45 mins of kettlebells. (gigglefest but too easy) So technically a rest day. Gonna have to pull it out if I'm gonna make nine hours this week :)

A more productive day today (compared to normal people not you insane lot doing the sbr challenge). 45 mins of turbo at 7am and 60 mins of swimming this evening. The swim was a club session but as its the first time back the coach kept it easy. It felt too short for me. But we got to try out the equipment he is going to torture us with this season, paddles and a drag ring. The drag ring has to be the most hateful piece of training equipment ever devised. The minute i pushed off my toes were dragging the bottom and I could not swim. How this is meant to improve my already c rap swimming I have no idea. But apart from that I enjoyed tonight. 1450.

A more productive day today (compared to normal people not you insane lot doing the sbr challenge). 45 mins of turbo at 7am and 60 mins of swimming this evening. The swim was a club session but as its the first time back the coach kept it easy. It felt too short for me. But we got to try out the equipment he is going to torture us with this season, paddles and a drag ring. The drag ring has to be the most hateful piece of training equipment ever devised. The minute i pushed off my toes were dragging the bottom and I could not swim. How this is meant to improve my already c rap swimming I have no idea. But apart from that I enjoyed tonight. 1450.

First off, I second the "insane lot" comment about the SBR Challenge. How did I ever get involved in this??

Second off, a drag ring? Is that something to put on your feet/ankles? What I like to do for more drag and to make my upper swimming body stronger is to wear a cotton t-shirt when I swim. This amps up the workout and it's incredible how fast (and high in the water) I feel when I'm not wearing it.

The drag ring is a foam ring that goes around your ankles. It fills with water so its very heavy. For my level of ability its the most pointless thing I could use. :) I did the tshirt thing and at least I could stay afloat. If I take the drag ring to the deep end I'll drown!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A more productive day today (compared to normal people not you insane lot doing the sbr challenge). 45 mins of turbo at 7am and 60 mins of swimming this evening. .

Yes you are one of the 'normal ones' who do 7am turbos, as their first session of the day :rolleyes:

Yes you are one of the 'normal ones' who do 7am turbos, as their first session of the day :rolleyes:
    And I'm halfway down the rankings. What does that tell you? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And I'm halfway down the rankings. What does that tell you? :)

You're giving everyone else a false sense of security.

• Advertisement

You're giving everyone else a false sense of security.
    Of course! This is all a deliberate ploy. :) As we speak I'm planning a ten hour dory dory style swim marathon. Not. :)

Advertisement