Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    My legs hurt like buggery. :) 3.40.31 for the curious. Details later. I'm goin home to get drunk.

Awesome! You're such a sly fox delusive obscurant. Nice to meet you briefly at the hotel this morning, it appears all roads lead to the Mespil. Thought you looked really good sufficiently prepared. Well done on 3:40

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Awesome! You're such a sly fox delusive obscurant. Nice to meet you briefly at the hotel this morning, it appears all roads lead to the Mespil. Thought you looked really good sufficiently prepared. Well done on 3:40
    I was your girlfriend for one fleeting moment :) If I'm a sly fox then I'm a surprised and pleased sly fox. I had a good day. It all went right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

My legs hurt like buggery. :) 3.40.31 for the curious. Details later. I'm goin home to get drunk.

Hi, I'm Elvis !

Well done !! I hope after all your doubting that today made you smile !

Hi, I'm Elvis !

Well done !! I hope after all your doubting that today made you smile !
    I was tired earlier :) Yes I'm smiling. Semi conscious but smiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Oryx, it was good to put a face to the name. I hope you ditched that jumper, too many fashion crimes being committed wearing that.:)

• Advertisement

Well done Oryx, it was good to put a face to the name. I hope you ditched that jumper, too many fashion crimes being committed wearing that.:)
    The jumper is gone. I will pay my fashion penance in high heels for the rest of the week. I already knew your face btw, from a pic on here. But you really didn't know mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Well done K. You played a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Well done Oryx, a nice finish to a great year,

sorry i missed you yesterday was hoping to say hi wish you good luck etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What do you mean by "jumper"?? Got any pics so we can rate this crime??

If youve been following this log, you'll know I've been a depressed, moany cow for quite a while now. This was not some attempt at sandbagging, I really have been a depressed, moany cow. I think it was a delayed comedown from the peak earlier in the year.

But I'd entered DCM and I tend to do the things I commit to, so I reluctantly and nervously lined up at the start. I honestly didn't know how it would go, my training has been patchy at best, and I've been fading, effort wise. All I did know was my plan A of 3.30 was off the cards, everything else was in the lap of the gods.

Met some really hawt boardsies (the lovely Kurt, Red and jb) before the start which boosted my spirits and calmed my nerves, but I eventually dragged myself away from Red b and jb and the 3.30 pacers in case I would get sucked along with them at race start, which I knew would be a mistake.

Just before the gun went, as the clothing fireworks were flying, I realised I was going to have fun, this was a bit of craic. I ran the first miles by feel, with one eye on my pace just in case. I was running 8s to 8.25s which felt like a happy pace, with a little push behind it. Of course I had to take a loo break at three miles but that took a weight off my mind and didn't lose me much time anyway.

I enjoyed the first half of the race. I took in the sights, laughed at the lunatics supporting us, like the 118 guys dancing on pillars, and an elephant in a pink tutu. Took a gel at 45 mins and randomly after that. The plan seemed to be there was no plan, except keep the pace steady, and make sure I was relaxed. I dedicated a mile each to people in my life, which gave me something to focus on, and made me smile. I had fun, even though I did feel like I was working, too.

By the halfway point my legs were beginning to feel the strain, and I did wonder if I had gone off too hard. But on the other side of it, I had it half done. A friend had given me a pep talk beforehand, saying that the last ten miles are always hard, so just suck it up. I kept that in mind. From before halfway, people were beginning to struggle and walk, which in a funny way, is a boost, cos you think, 'at least I'm not feeling that bad'.

I held my pace through the ups and downs of the next few miles, now and again dropping back and having to dig in and increase pace again. It was taking more mental effort to do that. I didn't hit a wall, it was more like things were just getting heavier, and harder to pull along. But I remember thinking that I had done harder things than this, and pushed through worse fatigue, this wasn't too bad. Quite pleasant, really, all things considered. It wasn't raining, food and drink were laid on, and the spectators were wonderful.

Heartbreak hill didnt break my heart, I think they need to rename it 'One Night Stand Bump'. It was harmless. Then on downhill to a more familiar stretch down the N11 and onto Nutley lane. This bit had me chugging along, passing a good few, but having to work hard to do it. Still watching the clock, still holding that precious pace to that magic 8-to-8.25 window.

On the straight back past the RDS I was checking the distance on my watch every two seconds, which must mean I wanted it finished.:) This was getting tough, but I only had 3 miles to go. They turned out to be the longest, most painful miles I've ran in a long time. But enjoyable, in a warped way, because I was nearly done, and it had gone well. If I held it together I had the time I had hoped for (though not the one I had wished for!)

The last mile or two of DCM is agonising. It goes down lots of streets and every time you turn a corner you expect to see the finish, but its never there! But the crowds were fantastic, still calling my name now and again. (the name on the bib trick is a great one). I was still holding the same pace, but rather than the steady happy jog at mile one, it felt like I was sprinting full belt. With gritted teeth and a demon stare. Bet any photos are pretty. :p

Finally, finally, finally, I got to the last stretch with the green carpet. My legs were screaming at me, and I swear when I crossed the line I didnt have another 50 feet of running in me. I was done.

As mentioned, 3.40.31. And still, even with a 19 minute pb, I wished I had gone 3.39. Never happy. But in all honesty, I was lucky to get what I did, and I am pleased. Buckled and unable to walk properly today, but pleased as punch.

NOW I GET TO REST. MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Advertisement

Went to the club swim last night and it certainly brought me back down to earth. We were doing a session on breaststroke. Which I've never learned. I was so terrible that the coaches resorted to being kind to me. You know it's bad when the coaches are nice. My seven year old kid can do the kick better. We did a kick drill upright in the deep end. I sank to the bottom :). A reminder, if I ever needed one, that I have a long way to go!

Went to the club swim last night and it certainly brought me back down to earth. We were doing a session on breaststroke. Which I've never learned. I was so terrible that the coaches resorted to being kind to me. You know it's bad when the coaches are nice. My seven year old kid can do the kick better. We did a kick drill upright in the deep end. I sank to the bottom :). A reminder, if I ever needed one, that I have a long way to go!

Don't start all that again, you are our wonderwoman :)

The day I get content with myself is the day I get soft. And I really am cr@p at breaststroke. :)

The day I get content with myself is the day I get soft. And I really am cr@p at breaststroke. :)

As long as its only the breaststroke you are talking about, we will allow that moan, but no others. ;)

I guess its nearly time to wind this log down now, anyway. My season is over, I did what I set out to do (kinda), and it's time to plan for next year.

Reviewing it all, I am really pleased I decided to tackle long distance. It was the right decision on a lot of levels. Sure, it went slower than planned, but that was mostly because of factors out of my control. I'm pleased I got to do a non wetsuit IM swim. That will rank as one of the best things I've ever done. And I still pinch myself to think I got around the bike, which was the biggest ask of the whole thing, coming from absolute zero a few years ago.

I totally loved the training plan in the first six months of this year. It suited me, and it showed me that I'm capable of more than I thought, and I don't need as much down time as I had been giving myself. My time management skills became first class. I learned to love mornings. Out of everything this year, the change in training attitude was the best thing I gained from it all.

And okay, I didn't do the recovery very well. I kept charging on when I should have rested more. Hopefully I will learn from my mistakes.

It feels like I've moved up a notch, and given me confidence to say, right, I can do this stuff, now let's just do it better. The marathon ended up being a good event to finish on, giving me a marker for where I'm at.

I have a little pet project to keep me going till Christmas, something physical but different, to keep me amused. I also have to embrace my turbo and learn to love that pain again. I have sketchy plans for next year already, but no long distance event. That will wait till I'm ready to give it my best shot, and I have to get faster and more skilled first.

So, to conclude, this is what I learned this year:

Manuka honey is the business.
    It is daylight at 4.30am in summertime. Who knew?
    There is no such excuse as 'I dont have time'
    I love swimming.
    Attitude is everything.
    Pep talks work.
    A standalone marathon seems pretty short.
    I could live just doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

I could live just doing this.

Nice....

Advertisement