Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Meant to run last night but used yesterdays physio session as an excuse not to. In reality I was shattered tired so hit the sack early.

Turbo as usual today. Force session. Kinda fun in a painful way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oryx wrote: »
    Kinda fun in a painful way.

We are all a bit mad aren't we? I find myself saying a session was brilliant because it was so very tough:)

Ran on the dreadmill last night. It wasn't good. As usual when I run late in the day, I got severe heartburn and eh, tummy issues. It worries me when I think about IM nutrition, I doubt I'll cope well. Another problem to solve.. Still, 40 mins closer to my target this week.

Swam this morning. 2.1k. Everyone in the pool was faster than me. I must be doing something very wrong. But endurance wise I could swim a lot further given the time so thats something. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ran on the dreadmill last night. It wasn't good. As usual when I run late in the day, I got severe heartburn and eh, tummy issues. It worries me when I think about IM nutrition, I doubt I'll cope well. Another problem to solve.. Still, 40 mins closer to my target this week.

Swam this morning. 2.1k. Everyone in the pool was faster than me. I must be doing something very wrong. But endurance wise I could swim a lot further given the time so thats something. I think.

The fact that you could swim a lot further is something quite positive. For me at this point in my life, I'm much better at endurance than speed. Endurance will be your friend in the IM. But tummy issues....:eek:.....that will need to be sorted! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Must have been something in the water yesterday. I had the same problem last night - had to cut my run short.

• Advertisement

Ah, the digestive issue getting chronic with me. Pain in the wotsits, literally. I'm already off wheat and gluten because of it.

I was getting it a lot last summer but only on tempo or interval runs. Thought it might have been caffeine. Not sure what stopped it in the first place I just hope it's not back as a regular visitor. It's not exactly something you can tough out when the faster you run the worse it gets. :D

Did the Hell and Back 10k yesterday. I always think I can run until someone puts a few hills in my way and I realise I can't. :) It was a tough old slog, my legs tired quickly, probably from all the turbo I've been at. Anyway I managed a 1hr 12, somewhere near the top quarter of the pack. I'll take that for now. Next year once all this long stuff is done, I'll look at getting fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Did the Hell and Back 10k yesterday. I always think I can run until someone puts a few hills in my way and I realise I can't. :) It was a tough old slog, my legs tired quickly, probably from all the turbo I've been at. Anyway I managed a 1hr 12, somewhere near the top quarter of the pack. I'll take that for now. Next year once all this long stuff is done, I'll look at getting fast!

What?

You think you can just walk away like that?

tsk, tsk....

Like hotel California is it? Check out any time you like but you can never leave? :)

Just had a swim lesson. Oh so much to practice..

• Advertisement

Second session today, Kettlebells. Legs have been stiffening up as the day went on so squats weren't very nice. Otherwise a good hard class, lots of variation fast sets low reps very little rest. Felt much better at the end, it had loosened out a lot of the stiffness. Now sleep and start it all again tomorrow!

I had doms so bad last night it woke me up every time I rolled over. Bloody hills.

Turbo this morning. High rpm set. Hopefully that will have worked out some of the pain!

Swim session. Coach surprised me by announcing that myself and another girl had to do a 1500 tt tonight as we missed one ages ago. He always seems to have the knack of making me do these on weeks when I've just done some crazy race. :) After a short warmup we ploughed into the trial. I'm pretty evenly matched with this other girl and we were on each others toes all the time just swapping every now and again. I felt I swam better when I didn't trail her, my stroke was better. But couldn't shake her off all the same. We finished two seconds apart. My time was the same as the last 1500 I did about a year ago. I'm not sure what to make of that. Clearly I'm not improving. Whether thats down to the extra training load or a lack of effort or speed work I just don't know. My technique has to be better, so I'm a bit puzzled by it. I'm swimming against the tide here and going backwards. I plan to do another tt on my own on a day I feel fresh and see how that goes, and other than that put more sprints in my sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

This titbit from a Gavin Noble interview struck a chord with me this time last year - it even has Interested's and Tunnys favourite cafe. It may not apply to you so much though as all your sessions seem to be coached. But it did draw me away from a lot of fuzzy technique work which without a coach, I hadn't a clue was it of benefit or not or was I even doing it right. So these days very little technique work and loads of HTFU sets for me (although I am thinking of increasing my swims to three a week and including an easy technique session with fins on my rest day during Finks build phase as I don't think two is enough - I like my swimming).

So perhaps ignore my ramblings :confused:

T: At this time of the year triathletes are always thinking about improving their swim over the winter. Are their any top tips that you can give?3410319882_23bf0da0c6_m.jpgGN: Swimming is an interesting subject. I don’t think I shocked people who attended Tricamps but I maybe had a different approach. In 2008 when I started helping a small group of athletes the first thing I said was that I would not be wasting any time in swimming training on fancy drills or technique. We incorporated some technique work but that was disguised in strength sets or specific sets designed for open water triathlons.

If you have for example 3x60min sessions per week you have to be time efficient and get the very most from each session. Unless you have a coach on pool deck all of the time then I believe your wasting your time with many of the drills coaches offer as the secret way to improve. With my group I was not concerned with turning them into beautiful pool swimmers. I trained them to be conditioned, conditioned for the demands of triathlons.

There is no secret drill or session that will suddenly transform your swimming. I know people get very frustrated with swimming as you improve very quickly in biking and running proportionately to the time you spend out on the roads. But not so with swimming and therefore triathletes look for the reason why. The best way to improve your swimming this winter is to swim with a group and swim consistently every week. It is not by going and getting a one off 2 hour technique session. 2 well structured 2km swim sessions for a period of 12 weeks will have you swimming better than 1x5km session every so often.

As triathletes our challenge is then being able to transfer that to the open water, no black lines and lots of hustle. I sometimes think only a triathlete understands that . . .

Swim session. Coach surprised me by announcing that myself and another girl had to do a 1500 tt tonight as we missed one ages ago. He always seems to have the knack of making me do these on weeks when I've just done some crazy race. :) After a short warmup we ploughed into the trial. I'm pretty evenly matched with this other girl and we were on each others toes all the time just swapping every now and again. I felt I swam better when I didn't trail her, my stroke was better. But couldn't shake her off all the same. We finished two seconds apart. My time was the same as the last 1500 I did about a year ago. I'm not sure what to make of that. Clearly I'm not improving. Whether thats down to the extra training load or a lack of effort or speed work I just don't know. My technique has to be better, so I'm a bit puzzled by it. I'm swimming against the tide here and going backwards. I plan to do another tt on my own on a day I feel fresh and see how that goes, and other than that put more sprints in my sessions.

Being a bit hard on yourself here. You had a tough race two days ago which can't have helped, as you say at the end do it again when you feel fresh and it'll probably be a different story.

I was thinking the same about my swimming, think I was chatting to you about it. Couple of tt's last week showed me to be an idiot, always feels like you're making no progress. Swimming is probably the hardest to measure your own progress in? You triheads would know better than me, but it's harder to gauge pace and effort in the pool, for me anyway, especially given theres so many other messy things to concentrate on.

A 1500 tt?? Really?? Ugh!

I agree with RQ, you're way too hard on yourself. In my opinion, of the three disciplines swimming will suffer the most if you are fatigued....and the longer the distance of the tt, the more the cumulative effect of that fatigue. You had a race this weekend and you've upped your curent training....I wonder what the circumstances were around your last tt a year ago? Is it possible you were fresher then? I'm betting so.

What CW posted is good....and I agree, a coach and several consistent swim sessions a week are recommended. But what I also take from that dialog is that "conventional" swim sessions may not be what's best for triathletes. Perhaps the distances and some of the focus is not benefitting triathletes like they should. When I was in training (eons ago!) we certainly did not train for open water endurance events. Yes, the distance swimmers did slightly different workouts than we sprinters, but my gut tells me even those distance swimmers would not have been best prepared for a triathlon. Question: is your coach training you for open water endurance swimming? What are most of the other swimmers training for? Does everyone do the same workout? Do you focus on upper body/stroke strength? Do you practice lifting your head periodically to breathe?

Bottom line, don't get frustrated. You're doing great. And sometimes improvement is like losing weight - you plateau for a while then BOOM! Huge improvements all of a sudden. Keep at it and they will come.:)

Thanks all for the advice. I'm getting so much conflicting information right now its blowing my mind. :) Its all good stuff but seems to 'swim this way for tri' or 'swim this way to improve'. I'm confused! :) Anyway. I pulled out my training diary and this time last year the same tt was 40 seconds slower. And I hadn't turboed that morning. I still don't feel like I'm making as much progress as I should, but I will wait for that POW moment to come where it clicks and I suddenly speed up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

You go gal

I love the smell of turbo in the morning.. :) My legs are still full of twinges from Sunday, but managed a force set without too many issues.

Turbo. I keep trying to vary what I do every day so today was force intervals I suppose you could call em. Up and down the gears, 10 seconds per gear, pushing it. One minute rest every one or two sets. Harder than it might sound. 55 mins including warm up and cool down.

• Advertisement

I pulled out my training diary and this time last year the same tt was 40 seconds slower. And I hadn't turboed that morning. I still don't feel like I'm making as much progress as I should, but I will wait for that POW moment to come where it clicks and I suddenly speed up. :)

:)

Ran this evening. The first twenty minutes I did with someone new to running so it was quite slow. Once on my own I picked up the pace and the run went grand. 10.85k. Total time is irrelevant but I was running low 5min Kms on my own. Very cold out, but I love running in the cold. No scenery to speak of, just badly lit streets and smoky chimneys but I did have to run the gauntlet of a pack of wild hoodys and some crazy dogs on lethal extending leashes on my way. :)

Did you know you can swim while asleep? I know you can because I did my session semi comatose this morning. Took about 500m to get into any kind of rhythm. Though I suppose I've often felt worse, early mornings are definitely not as disagreeable as they used to be. My arms were aching so that made the paddles hard work but having read all the good information here over the last few days I'm determined to get more power into my stroke. And that means making my arms suffer. Not fast. Not long, today. But I'm working on it. 2050 in 50 mins.

Yesterday, with only one session so early in the morning, was practically a rest day. I even had a can of cider in the evening, I was so relaxed..

This morning, though, my legs felt like lead. Could one tinny do that?? Did my 11k run in the usual plodding time, through fog and drizzly rain. What I would describe to Dory as a soft Irish day, but I just call sh!te weather. It was warm though, and I went out overdressed, which caused a quick strip to remove a base layer at the side of the road. Good job noone else gets up at stupid o clock on the roads where I live. :) The last few kms of the run felt better than the start, the legs had loosened up a lot.

Thats it for today, another half day. Just over an hour to do to hit this weeks target so hopefully a good long turbo will sort that out tomorrow. Yet again I cant get out on my bike. November was my last proper ride, at this rate I will need stabilizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Yesterday, with only one session so early in the morning, was practically a rest day. I even had a can of cider in the evening, I was so relaxed..

This morning, though, my legs felt like lead. Could one tinny do that?? Did my 11k run in the usual plodding time, through fog and drizzly rain. What I would describe to Dory as a soft Irish day, but I just call sh!te weather. It was warm though, and I went out overdressed, which caused a quick strip to remove a base layer at the side of the road. Good job noone else gets up at stupid o clock on the roads where I live. :) The last few kms of the run felt better than the start, the legs had loosened up a lot.

Thats it for today, another half day. Just over an hour to do to hit this weeks target so hopefully a good long turbo will sort that out tomorrow. Yet again I cant get out on my bike. November was my last proper ride, at this rate I will need stabilizers.

This is like the bat sign for all Wexford lurkers...You'll have plenty of company next time out:)

I had a can of cider, and I was so relaxed.. which caused a quick strip at the side of the road. Could one tinny do that??

Sounds like intervention time......

Any intervention should have come the first time I ever mentioned triathlon..

Two hour turbo. With just the top forty countdown as gaelige to keep me going. Thats quite enough headspace for one day. It was a basic set just holding heartrate in z2 and keeping cad up. Did do a set out of the saddle for variety in the middle. It was tough but not so bad that I can't imagine going longer. That shouldn't be a problem.

Thats the end of another week. 11 hours, one hour over target. It included one s&c session which Fink doesn't allow for in his plans. Bike and swim were up, running was down. But at least the total time is ok. It wasn't too bad fitting it in, and I feel less tired than at other times when I was doing lower hours. So far, so good. *fingers crossed*

Swim session. I'm putting in more time in the pool than my plan allows but I have the opportunity right now and I'm so damn slow it really needs all the work I can give it.

500 wu
    100 kicking with kickboard
    100 rotating kick
    50 easy
    100 ssts
    100 fists
    100 drag fingers
    100 pull and glide
    100 zipper
    100 6 head up 6 head down
    50 easy
    600 paddles
    100 easy
    200 25 easy 25 hard
    100 sd

Nice set. Felt slow but hmmm. I am. 2400 in 75 mins.

Kettlebells tonight. In my determination to get stronger for swimming, I tried as hard as I could for this class. Which meant going up to 16kg for some moves. It meant doing 40 non stop squats as part of one set. And finishing on 6 x 12kg get ups. My arms and legs were trembling by the end but I felt good. I do love weights. The fact that I've cooked my arms will make swimming fun tomorrow but what the heck.

• Advertisement

Turbo. High cad session. 60 mins. (I should just copy and paste these early morning sessions. :) ) Very hard on tired legs but am getting better at the suffering bit. :)

Advertisement