Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Rip-off prices

Options
  • 01-01-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Seen that they have bargain alerts on another thread,things have to be balanced.

Avonmore fresh cream 750ml - €5.59
    Tropicana orange juice 2L - €5.19

Nothing cheap there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Seen that they have bargain alerts on another thread,things have to be balanced.

Nothing cheap there.

Tesco uk is £2.18 for 1L or £4 for two, that is €5, that's 3.7% difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Nothing cheap there.

Tesco are tricking their customers by their mis-leading advertizing. Anytime they claim 'price cuts' it's important to forget these prices are actually post-2009 ones. Tesco should be avoided at all costs by a simple means of changing one's lifestyle and shopping in cheaper places like Aldi or wherever it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

davo10 wrote: »
    Tesco uk is £2.18 for 1L or £4 for two, that is €5, that's 3.7% difference.

Tesco UK : 2 litre Topicana orange juice is £3.48 - thats €4.16 - thats 25% dearer in RoI than in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Skopzz wrote: »
    Tesco are tricking their customers by their mis-leading advertizing. Anytime they claim 'price cuts' it's important to forget these prices are actually post-2009 ones. Tesco should be avoided at all costs by a simple means of changing one's lifestyle and shopping in cheaper places like Aldi or wherever it's cheaper.

What if you want something that's cheaper in Tesco, would you still avoid them?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What if you want something that's cheaper in Tesco, would you still avoid them?

Tesco have very few low-price goods.

Tesco don't claim to be the cheapest.

And they trick their customers with misleading advertizing like 'love the price' - love what? Something that's more expensive than Aldi or Dunnes?

TBH, we need Wal-Mart in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I think this 'price drop' is simply a marketing tool and a quite untruthful one too. Tesco prices have gone up overall. Other items went up prior to the 'offering' and then went back to the original price at the start of thess promotions. The thing which Irish consumers should watch, is that Tesco treat us as if we are stupid, and is the reason why their promotions have substantially failed. Customers are not that stupid and within five minutes of shopping in their stores, you can see that little if anything has changed. Tesco management thought that the perception of change and perceived reductions would drive sales. But, since these promotions are more about price rigging, rather than price reduction, customers have seen it for what it is, a cynical promotional tool.

And they trick their customers with misleading advertizing like 'love the price' - love what? Something that's more expensive than Aldi or Dunnes?

You didn't answer my question.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

You didn't answer my question.:P

he never does - but of course doesn't have a problem taking €180/week of our tax to spend on himself.

Skopzz - there's a reason you can't find a job (as per you post elsewhere) - you are far far too negative. No employer wants a moan in the company.

I'll give you this piece of advice - take it or leave it -

Change your attitude, have a more positive outlook in life, see as many things as possible in a positive light - for every interview you attend, tell yourself you will treat yourself to something. And then promise yourself that when you do get a job, treat yourself to one special thing every week for 6 weeks. - Write all these treats down and look at them every week.

It will give you something to look forward to, it will give you something to aim for. And the pshycology of this works amazingly well.

Try it for 3 months!!

If you do, my guess you'll be back at work earning a decent wage. But from someone that now employs over 20 people and will be taking on at least another 10 this year - negativity in way shape or form will not get you anywhere these days.

If you aren't interested in shopping around for bargains, just go to one supermarket and make do with what they expect you to pay. if you don't like somewhere, don't shop there. No one forces you to go in. I work in retail and tbh, we don't care what our prices our, we don't set them so complain with your feet and shop elsewhere.
    Why are uk prices cheaper than ROI??? Unions! Your typical 20 year superquinn staff member earns around €1400 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I think this 'price drop' is simply a marketing tool and a quite untruthful one too. Tesco prices have gone up overall. Other items went up prior to the 'offering' and then went back to the original price at the start of thess promotions. The thing which Irish consumers should watch, is that Tesco treat us as if we are stupid, and is the reason why their promotions have substantially failed. Customers are not that stupid and within five minutes of shopping in their stores, you can see that little if anything has changed. Tesco management thought that the perception of change and perceived reductions would drive sales. But, since these promotions are more about price rigging, rather than price reduction, customers have seen it for what it is, a cynical promotional tool.

Say what you like but the 2 for 1 or the other promotions that Tesco have at the end of the isles are better then any other i have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jasper11

need a wall mart/ asda

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ASDA is Walmart's European brand.

Say what you like but the 2 for 1 or the other promotions that Tesco have at the end of the isles are better then any other i have seen.

You are a victim of Tesco's misleading advertizing. I check my shopping bills very carefully (and happily have the kind of brain that can remember to the cent what each item cost last time/usually costs). What I have noticed is that certain mid-priced essentials have been cut very slightly in price as the publicity trumpets. But of course, you'd be a mug to go for their supposedly 'special' offer (because it's a discount on the higher end price). I will continue to shop at Aldi for most of my groceries as I have been doing for about three years now and top it up with very few items that I can only get in the larger stores. Of course, this involves moving away from big brand names.

Aldi is the way forward. Once sneered at by most, I now look forward to the uncrowded airy aisles and hassle free shopping. The German hams are succulent and about a third of the price of Tesco. There is a large range of essentials, lovely fruit and veg and several types of bread and the treats are second to none. German (again) luxury desserts and cakes. OK you can't get every single item required if having a dinner party but so what?? The staples are all there, the cleaning products are cheap and at Christmas the luxuries are mouth watering. I save about twenty EUR a week going there.

If you aren't interested in shopping around for bargains, just go to one supermarket and make do with what they expect you to pay. if you don't like somewhere, don't shop there. No one forces you to go in. I work in retail and tbh, we don't care what our prices our, we don't set them so complain with your feet and shop elsewhere.
    Why are uk prices cheaper than ROI??? Unions! Your typical 20 year superquinn staff member earns around €1400 a week.

You are 100% correct.

That's also why we lost our manufacturing industry - because of the crony demands by unions and the Government who caved-in to them. I am glad we are under the EU/IMF because the Irish can never take a hard objective look at themselves and change. Then again, we are just a sucker country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nody wrote: »
    ASDA is Walmart's European brand.

Indeed, and Tesco is about as close to a European Walmart as you can get. Wanting Walmart in Ireland is about as clever as asking for another a Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Yeah Tesco is the forth largest retailer in the world behind Wallmart and Carrefour and Metro, Aldi is only the 9th largest.

http://www.pdviz.com/what-are-the-worlds-largest-retailers-0

And by the way, our manufacturing industry has never been stronger, to say that its been destroyed by the unions is complete crap. We still brew and make busicuts (which used to be the sum of what we made as the industrial revolution bypassed us) but now we are also a worldwide centre for computer componant manufacturing and pharma.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Your typical 20 year superquinn staff member earns around €1400 a week.
    I really doubt that.

It's simply not true.

You are a victim of Tesco's misleading advertizing. I check my shopping bills very carefully (and happily have the kind of brain that can remember to the cent what each item cost last time/usually costs). What I have noticed is that certain mid-priced essentials have been cut very slightly in price as the publicity trumpets. But of course, you'd be a mug to go for their supposedly 'special' offer (because it's a discount on the higher end price). I will continue to shop at Aldi for most of my groceries as I have been doing for about three years now and top it up with very few items that I can only get in the larger stores. Of course, this involves moving away from big brand names.

Aldi is the way forward. Once sneered at by most, I now look forward to the uncrowded airy aisles and hassle free shopping. The German hams are succulent and about a third of the price of Tesco. There is a large range of essentials, lovely fruit and veg and several types of bread and the treats are second to none. German (again) luxury desserts and cakes. OK you can't get every single item required if having a dinner party but so what?? The staples are all there, the cleaning products are cheap and at Christmas the luxuries are mouth watering. I save about twenty EUR a week going there.

Tesco isn't the only supermarket operator in Ireland that's on a mission to extract money from consumers. Why leave out Dunnes and SuperValu?

...and you still haven't answered my earlier question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

That's also why we lost our manufacturing industry - because of the crony demands by unions and the Government who caved-in to them. .

That must count as one of the STUPIDEST posts EVER on boards. A week after the government announces 2011 was the BEST YEAR EVER for Irish exports.

That's The BEST YEAR EVER. Or in plainer english - we never ever exported as many goods last year in our lives!

Our exports range from being the WORLD'S LEADER in infant milk (15% of worlsd's infant formula is MADE in Ireland from IRISH Milk) to a massive range of pharmacuticals, to computer components to wool, to food products to ingredients & flavours to yarn used on all boeing airline seats.

Our manufacturing industry is quite big and very very healthy. Oh and then there's guinness, jameson, kilbeggan & tullamore dew whiskies - and balck bush if yu want to count the North. There's modus media and its hard drives, microsoft and its software, IBM with its services and so many more it would take weeks of writing.

Yeah Tesco is the forth largest retailer in the world behind Wallmart and Carrefour and Metro, Aldi is only the 9th largest.

http://www.pdviz.com/what-are-the-worlds-largest-retailers-0

And by the way, our manufacturing industry has never been stronger, to say that its been destroyed by the unions is complete crap. We still brew and make busicuts (which used to be the sum of what we made as the industrial revolution bypassed us) but now we are also a worldwide centre for computer componant manufacturing and pharma.

In any case, that's set to be outsourced. Like I said, our competitiveness has suffered greatly because of high wages and salaries. The Unions have crippled this country economically. Dell left Ireland because of these high costs. Intel are already looking beyond Ireland. So unless we improve our competitiveness, be prepared for that eventuality.

It's been widely mentioned that Ireland has a high cost of manufacturing - the wages in Irish Industries are higher than in Germany. That's why people here must change their lifestyles and stop buying more expensive groceries by a simple means of changing their Supermarket.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I really doubt that.

It's simply not true.

Did you know that pay rises happen quite seldom in Germany or the rest of the Eurozone?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

With 24 years experience in the grocery retail business, I know for a fact that no " Typical Superquinn Staff Member " earns around 1400 a week. BULL ****

dahamsta wrote: »
    Indeed, and Tesco is about as close to a European Walmart as you can get. Wanting Walmart in Ireland is about as clever as asking for another a Tesco.

People should be willing to move away from big brand names. Wal-Mart would be able to stock these non-branded items and become a competitor to Aldi and Lidl. I have to say that Lidl has alarmingly begun stocking big brand names over the past 3 years. Nobody wants these products because they're too expensive. That's why Aldi will remain the winner.

Tesco isn't the only supermarket operator in Ireland that's on a mission to extract money from consumers. Why leave out Dunnes and SuperValu?

...and you still haven't answered my earlier question.

Since this thread is about Tesco, we feel that Tesco manipulates its prices using a myriad of short term special prices to confuse the customer. Prices yo-yo so making it extremely difficult to know what the real prices would have been.

Tesco is able to use its IT systems to achieve this. I believe that Tesco uses this presentation of prices to draw a veil over its overall price levels so that it can appear to offer low prices while actually raising them. Tesco is being too clever by half. We're not stupid. We know that the wool is being pulled over our eyes.

Go figure the rest out if you still can't get it.

People should be willing to move away from big brand names. Wal-Mart would be able to stock these non-branded items and become a competitor to Aldi and Lidl. I have to say that Lidl has alarmingly begun stocking big brand names over the past 3 years. Nobody wants these products because they're too expensive. That's why Aldi will remain the winner.

Aldi also has a selection of big brand names on its shelves.

Aldi also has a selection of big brand names on its shelves.

When was the last time you visited Aldi?!

Aldi has very few big brand names on their shelves.

Since this thread is about Tesco, we feel that Tesco manipulates its prices using a myriad of short term special prices to confuse the customer. Prices yo-yo so making it extremely difficult to know what the real prices would have been.

Tesco is able to use its IT systems to achieve this. I believe that Tesco uses this presentation of prices to draw a veil over its overall price levels so that it can appear to offer low prices while actually raising them. Tesco is being too clever by half. We're not stupid. We know that the wool is being pulled over our eyes.

Go figure the rest out if you still can't get it.

You don't seem to realise that all supermarkets are involved in these practices. Nothing's ever black and white with any of them.

...and you still never got round to answering my question.
    When was the last time you visited Aldi?!

Aldi has very few big brand names on their shelves.

I was in Aldi a few days ago.

I note that you agree that they have big brand items on their shelves. I would imagine that they wouldn't have big brand names if there were no demand for them, they wouldn't be stupid enough to stock them otherwise.

You don't seem to realise that all supermarkets are involved in these practices. Nothing's ever black and white with any of them.

...and you still never got round to answering my question.

I was in Aldi a few days ago.

I note that you agree that they have big brand items on their shelves. I would imagine that they wouldn't have big brand names if there were no demand for them, they wouldn't be stupid enough to stock them otherwise.

But not so much with Dunnes since they haven't invested heavily in IT systems like Tesco. Dunnes are more forthcoming with their prices. So I don't see where ''all supermarkets'' are in on this. They're not.

Nobody wants big brand names in Lidl as evidenced by the fact they hardly sell - they rarely move from the shelf. Lidl are wasting shelf space stocking them and the austerity measures will force people to move away from big brands anyway. That increases the demand for European goods that work out nicer, cheaper and more popular once adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Why are uk prices cheaper than ROI??? Unions! Your typical 20 year superquinn staff member earns around €1400 a week.[/QUOTE]

Ok your telling me that Superquinn staff member, of 20 years is earning €72800 p/a??get a grip. Do a bit of research before you post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

dahamsta wrote: »

Whether it's tesco, carrefour or wal-mart, the problem is a lack of competition in Irish mainstream retail. Most other countries have at least one, if not two more mainstream supermarket chains.

We basically have Tesco, Dunnes and SuperValu/Quinn.
    Aldi and Lidl are not mainstream supermarkets, they're specialist discount retailers.
    SuperValu/Quinn isn't really a chain either, it's just a symbol brand and largely targets convenience and high end niches.

So, realistically, we have just two major chains vs up to six in a lot of EU countries.

If ASDA entered the market it would help a lot, but not by purchasing Dunnes as it would just change the name over the door.

Without more players, there is no incentive to reduce prices!

Advertisement