Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Rip-off prices

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Which is exactly what Tesco, Aldi and Lidl did.

They all jumped on the high-profitability bandwagon that had already been set up by Dunnes, Quinnsworth and SuperValu. Had the homegrown supermarkets been more competitive in the first place, it wouldn't have been worthwhile for any of the foreign stores to move into Ireland, but the greed of the original trio made sure that there were big profits to be made here.

I'm pretty certain that the reason for Tesco not having any stores in Germany, is because the German stores have lower prices and a lot of competition.

...and as for Carrefour, I don't think they'd be interested in coming here. They tried out in the Czech Republic for a few years, then sold that operation to Tesco and pulled out. If they couldn't hack it there, I'm sure they wouldn't hack it here either.

+1. My dads partner knows someone on the board of management (or whatever you call it) for Tesco and they all call Ireland, "Treasure Island".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

notice yesterday that tesco fruit and fibre 750g now 2.29 up from 1.85 where they used to price match the aldi price and make a big fuss of it on the shelf saying price match with aldi.. now thats gone and its 40c more expensive than aldi again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Was in Tesco 2 weeks ago and bought 4 tumblers/glasses (broke a few over Christmas), good value at E1.67.

Revisited Tesco yesterday, same pack of 4 tumblers were now E5.00

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

This week Tesco has Yellow deal sticker price on " Star Wars" Light-saber only €29.95 Save €20.00!!!!!

Unfortunately the same product was only €14.95 for the month of January. Nice Try Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Bistoman wrote: »
    This week Tesco has Yellow deal sticker price on " Star Wars" Light-saber only €29.95 Save €20.00!!!!!

Unfortunately the same product was only €14.95 for the month of January. Nice Try Tesco.

Remember the time they had the frozen turkeys a few years back then had a special offer of something like 60% off but no one in the country could find a store that they were sold at the original full price in.:pac:

• Advertisement

Monife wrote: »
    Totally agree. I do buy a few brand name things in Tesco every 2 weeks but do my normal shop in Aldi. I wasn't in the humour of driving to Aldi last week, more fool me. Nipped into Tesco, got a small basket of stuff (1 small carrier bag full)... €45!!!!!!! I was shocked!! I had to check my receipt over and over again!!! At the weekend, went to Aldi, 2 HUGE bags of groceries, toileteries, toilet roll etc, €30.

Aldi certainly has more Irish products on sale than Tesco, good quality too.

Bistoman wrote: »
    Last week Tesco has a bottle of Fairy Liquid for €0.99 or Two for €2.00. You have to watch them sneaky "offers" :)

I notice twin pack minerals is usually like that ,often cheaper to buy 2 x 2ltrs than a twin pack of 2ltrs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

and sometimes 2x500g flora are cheaper than a 1kg. Do they think were stupid, I suppose some of us with tooooo much mula probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mastodon

Tescos are blatantly ripping off Irish customers daily there crumpets are 42 cents in the UK 1.20 in Ireland Birds eye potato waffles 10 pack 3.49 in Ireland and 1.80 in the UK just 2 examples of why they will never leave Ireland and never to shop there again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You do realise they have to pay export fees etc so their products will be a bit dearer here as a result.

• Advertisement

Bizarre second post for a user, particularly on an 11 year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Tesco ready to serve custard 500g 43c here, 85p in the UK.

Tesco lemon and lime sparkling water 1L 65c here(was 35c not that long ago), 75p in the UK.

Just 2 examples of how they price for what they think the local market will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

don't understand the idiots who still do their full shopping in Tesco and Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

A lot of people in small towns have to get a bus to avoid svalu

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Copied from the YLYL images thread but seems apt here...

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121054303/#Comment_121054303

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Tesco have stopped doing the value range of tea-bags. Its the same in Lidl.

And, they all do the 2 tea-bags joined together.

This is a known scam, to get people using double what they need, when one bag will do the job .... say in a pot of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Just pull the two tea bags apart. Tea bags have been like that since time immemorial. Its not a conspiracy its how they are manufactured.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

A scam? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is it really that difficult to separate two teabags joined together by a perforation?

It actually allow for much easier packing and less packaging and twining have had them like this for years.

I reckon 99.9999% of people will pull them apart. - But maybe there's one that won't.

If you were trying to "scam" customers, you'd want a far better return than 0.0001%

But thanks for the laugh on a Monday afternoon 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I thought I'd heard it all, but the idea that people are conned by double teabags is a new one to me.

Do they think they get arrested for pulling the two teabags apart?

Advertisement