Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2010 - WWE releases Bryan Danielson (Zombie bump)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,276 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I used to think the same about Jericho, great at promos, great wrestler, solid midcarder. Could never see him as a world champ, even when he won the undisputed title. But look at him now. One of the best guys in the business.

All I've seen of Danielson was his WWE stuff, and I saw frig all of that. But even though he didn't ooze charisma or have a great character like Y2J, there was something great there. Dare I say it, he seemed o have the qualities of chris Jericho mixed with Chris Benoit, which is not a bad combination leaving out certain aspects of course. I'd love to see him back in WWE because even though I think he'll be stuck round the midcard for a while, I think a slow build for him could make him a great future champ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Punk is far bigger than Danielson and Rey has the gimmick. WWE champs have to be either uber popular/hated or extremely marketable, or both.

In the case of Benoit, while he was over, he was never "world champ over" IMO, and the fans did not care less about his title reign after the initial pop.

In the case of CM Punk, you had an internet darling who was very popular and very marketable in the "drug free, straight edge" sense after all their wellness issues following Benoit.

In the case of Rey Mysterio, after Cena, he is probably the most bankable character they have.

In the case of Jericho, you had a moderately sized guy who was/is insanely talented and also probably the most charismatic man in the industry. And lest be honest, his title reigns have not exactly been raging successes have they?

Remember, Danielson is sub 200lbs. He has not got the "look" which WWE fans generally want. His mic skills are decent but not mind blowing. He has no discernable gimmick per se other than being the "best wrestler in the world". Add all these factors and he is not a guy who can be a world champion in WWE. Regrettable and all as that is as he is far more talented than 99% of wrestlers worldwide in the ring.
    look at ..... Rey .... credible world champion...

I have not seen any of his current run, but his initial run was arguably the worst handled world championship run ever booked by WWE. He was made look weak, week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i say a lot more people know about him now than before so thats a good thing

But do they? Have many people who never heard of him before and dont use internet forum even miss him, or care that he is gone? He was hardly portrayed as a world beater on NXT was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

^ he was the best wrestler from the 1st nxt group oh sorry nexus

• Advertisement

But who would they care more about - a good wrestler like Danielson, or a good mouth piece like, say, Otunga?

I honestly doubt the WWE "Universe" could care less that he is gone.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt there are many bigger fans of Danielson out there, I would love to see him at the tippy top of whatever promotion he works for, but I am also realstic enough to realise he will not be a WWE Heavyweight Champion at any stage of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Gimmick being a champion means nothing today. When I saw somebody like Punk work his ass off to make it to the top I really understood that being a champion meant so much more before the 2000s. If somebody is willing to put the work into being a champion ala Benoit, Punk and Jeff Hardy they can do it. If somebody thinks highly of you nowadays like HHH you will go a long way. HBK is his old trainer so that is a true ally in a higher place.

Anybody can be a world champion. Danielson may be a wold champion someday.

Daniel Bryan chants are heard every night on RAW since he left BTW. The universe still remembers. It's not just the indy fans in attendance.

Maybe so, but for the above reaosns which I stand by, I will eat a clean garment of clothing should he ever become champ.

I will force you to eat your tie should he become World Champion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gimmick wrote: »
    But who would they care more about - a good wrestler like Danielson, or a good mouth piece like, say, Otunga?

I honestly doubt the WWE "Universe" could care less that he is gone.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt there are many bigger fans of Danielson out there, I would love to see him at the tippy top of whatever promotion he works for, but I am also realstic enough to realise he will not be a WWE Heavyweight Champion at any stage of his career.

He might get a throwaway one month reign one day a la Benoit and Rey. Vince likes to throw the smarks a bone every now and again.

But I wouldn't hold my breath either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

But do they? Have many people who never heard of him before and dont use internet forum even miss him, or care that he is gone? He was hardly portrayed as a world beater on NXT was he?

Without contributing too much about Danielson being a future world champ, i wanted to bring up the importance of the internet.

It's very difficult to imagine someone who would watch Raw or Impact once a week, and then switch off from wrestling completely until the next week episode.

I'm just guessing here, but I reckon most wrestling fans, and by most i would guess at least 75% except children/pre-teens use the Internet for wrestling news and stories.

There's the hardcore fans like us who know every story and every detail, and then theres a casual fan who might check for wrestling news for 10 minutes every day, and then even a minor fan bored at home, might be looking for photos of Maryse, and find himself casually browsing wrestling gossip web-pages.

If that is indeed the case, then Bryan is virtually a household name (in wrestling-watching households) despite only being on a couple episodes of Raw, most fans probably know who he is, have probably learnt that this guy is a big deal and could be someone special, and probably know the story with him.

Getting fired has even probably increased his popularity.

The problem though is that with every passing week, these so called casual and minor fans will forget more and more about him, or care less and less about him.

If I was a betting man though, I would agree with Gimmick. Today at least, it seems he is a long way off being WWE Champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

He is not a future world champ. As big a fan of his as I am, I am realistic enough to see that he will never ever get to those heights. What do you think he has in his arsenal that would propel him that high?

He has all the ability in the world, but he does not have the size, nor the gimmick (alá Rey Mysterio), or indeed the charisma to get to the top. I reckon he will be around the IC/US title area if ever he comes back. A solid wrestler to add a solid match in any show he appears, and maybe used as an enhancement talent for the main eventers. A decent foil for someone who wants to make the next step. In saying that, he does have some element of charisma, he can cut a promo, but nothing that will send him to the very top.

I don't know. Generally good wrestling and good mic skills are a good sign that a wrestler will become a future world champion. Danielson has both of them. When you look at previous World Champions who hardly posess an ounce of these skills, you have to hold hope.

Also, what gimmick did Mysterio ever really have? He wore a mask but thats about it. He was fantastically over but not because of his gimmick imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,276 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well Mysterio was always booked as the ultimate underdog, the guy facing guys a lot bigger than himself and still winning. That was kinda his gimmick

Degag wrote: »
    I don't know. Generally good wrestling and good mic skills are a good sign that a wrestler will become a future world champion. Danielson has both of them. When you look at previous World Champions who hardly posess an ounce of these skills, you have to hold hope.

Fair enough, but you could say the same about Jamie Noble. Excellent wrestler, and more than competent on the mic, but he never got past "cruiserweight title" and for the most part was booked a s a joke.

EDIT 16/08/2010: Closing this one so as not to have it bumped to cause a spoiler. Will re open in a few days.

19/08 : Re opened now if anyone feels the need for a bump......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Wasn't expecting this to be bumped
    Jebus0908 wrote: »
    NXT Is a huge fail!

NXT thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 53,900 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thread-Crap-Die.jpg

Maybe so, but for the above reaosns which I stand by, I will eat a clean garment of clothing should he ever become champ.

I'm holding you to this gimmick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

JESUS! This thread gave me a heart attack when I saw the topic title. Took me a few moments to realise it was a zombie bump...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Blow me, Scared the crap outa me!
    This is why future endeavoured threads are such a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Haha, same here. Not good for the nerve.

How wrong were we Gimmick?!
    He is not a future world champ. As big a fan of his as I am, I am realistic enough to see that he will never ever get to those heights.
    I am also realstic enough to realise he will not be a WWE Heavyweight Champion at any stage of his career. Maybe so, but for the above reaosns which I stand by, I will eat a clean garment of clothing should he ever become champ.
    Charisteas wrote: »
    If I was a betting man though, I would agree with Gimmick. Today at least, it seems he is a long way off being WWE Champion

Fair play guys, put us to shame!
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I do hope he does return to the WWE he is a future world champ imo
    Anybody can be a world champion. Danielson may be a wold champion someday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gimmick is hardly totally wrong is he? He is still being booked as Dewey from Malcom in Middle as CHAMPION.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can just quote myself again...
    JESUS! This thread gave me a heart attack when I saw the topic title. Took me a few moments to realise it was a zombie bump...

rovert wrote: »
    gimmick is hardly totally wrong is he? He is still being booked as Dewey from Malcom in Middle as CHAMPION.

A lot of people, myself included, didn't give Danielson a hope in hell of ever becoming Heavyweight champ. Yet he is, thus proving us doubters wrong.

I don't get the Dewey reference, but it was fun to re-read this thread again and hence the bump, may be fun for others to read too.

Ha, I was going to say I would resign as a mod if it ever happened.

He is a "world champ" for now. Will he be booked strongly?

Ha, I was going to say I would resign as a mod if it ever happened.

Ah here nobody would accept your resignation!

I don't think he will still have the title by Wrestlemania anyway, just hope he doesn't lose it at the next PPV. Who will his first defense be against, Wade Barrett?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

So what's on the menu, gimmick?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It was either Alvarez or Meltz (or both) who made the point that Jack Swagger was champ, and look at him now, so don't get your hopes up too much with Bryan. It's MASSIVE that indy hero got the world title, but it doesn't mean much if he's given the Mysterio/Swagger/Hardy/Ziggler etc first title run treatment.

It'd be amazing if WWE got behind him but even I think we're years off Danielson being a credible main eventer. That said they could've booked him like Benoit and be there a lot sooner. My expectations are mighty low but i'm gonna enjoy every day our boy Danielson holds the big gold title :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ah lads you can't move the goal posts at this stage! He has a world title, regardless of how he is booked in the future, he will always have this moment.

It would be amazing and completely unexpected were he to become an actual main eventer. The Benoit/Jericho level would be perfect for him though as they would have somebody they could always rely on to deliver the goods in-ring.

Advertisement