Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-02-2010, 22:05   #1
Dare_2_defy
Registered User
 
Dare_2_defy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cork
Posts: 8,011
The "WWE NXT" thread ***Contains SPOILERS***

I'm setting this up so we can talk about the new WWE show that'll be re-placing ECW in 2 week's time, WWE NXT



I think this'll be a very interesting show that should (hopefully) bring in some viewers.

From waltersobchek in the "ECW could be going??" thread:
Quote:
speculation about what WWE's new NXT show would be like, we finally have some new concrete information - it's got nothing to do with science fiction or conspiracies.

Entertainment industry publication Variety reveals that WWE NXT will be a reality-based show, similar to Tough Enough and UFC's "The Ultimate Fighter," that will feature eight rookie wrestlers from WWE's developmental system (Florida Championship Wrestling) as they work their way towards a spot on the main WWE roster. Each rookie will be paired up with a veteran WWE superstar as their mentor, "with egos often getting in the way, as they learn the ropes of competing in the ring in front of live audiences, creating characters and speaking on camera."

WWE is teasing the series as a window into how the company truly operates.

"These kids crash and burn a lot," said Vince McMahon. "By putting them into this environment we'll find out if they can make it. There's no better way to develop skills than being in front of an audience. And that makes for good television."

WWE sent out the following press release today:

WWE NXT DEBUTS ON SYFY

STAMFORD, Conn., February 16, 2010 – World Wrestling Entertainment and Syfy today announced the next generation of reality television with the debut of WWE NXT, Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM ET/PT on Syfy.

WWE NXT is a hybrid live event/reality show featuring eight well-known, popular WWE Superstars (“Pros”) mentoring eight WWE “Rookies.” These Rookies, who are learning the ropes, are athletes who epitomize pop culture and personify strong attributes – they are opinionated and aggressive – which means inherent conflict between Rookies and other Rookies, conflict between Rookies and Pros, as well as, conflict between Pros and Pros. The trials and tribulations of the WWE NXT cast ensure action-packed, innovative entertainment – WWE Style.

“Once again, WWE will bring something entirely new to the television landscape as WWE meets reality TV,” said Vince McMahon, Chairman and CEO, World Wrestling Entertainment. “As we introduce this brand new franchise exclusively on Syfy, WWE NXT will have a completely different look and feel from our other WWE television programming.”

“Syfy is excited to continue our partnership with WWE, Vince and his team with this innovative live event/reality show,” said Syfy President Dave Howe. “This is a unique combination of heart-stopping entertainment and gritty behind-the-scenes reality. The NXT Rookies take the challenge of our new tagline ‘Imagine Greater’ to heart as they embark on their ultimate dream quest to be the next generation of revered heroes and champions in the fantastic arena of the WWE.”
From Jolt in the "ECW could be going??" thread:
Quote:
WWE sources have told us that the following talents are scheduled to be a part of the NXT show, which will debut on Sy Fy in the current ECW timeslot next week.

FCW Champion: Justin Angel
Daniel Bryan
Kaval
Skip Sheffield
Joe Hennig
Brett Dibiase
Darren Young
Heath Slater
Michael Tarver

Source - http://www.pwinsider.com/article/451...-show.html?p=1

Last edited by gimmick; 08-06-2010 at 10:36.
Dare_2_defy is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2010, 22:14   #2
Kid Nothing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,026
I'm interesting in getting a look at Joe Henning....
Kid Nothing is offline  
16-02-2010, 22:18   #3
waltersobchak
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,067
Im interested in seeing Hennig too, He must be pretty good, with being a 3rd generation wrestler and all. The only thing is i think he's in his early 30's, and doesnt really have his fathers "look" per se


Last edited by waltersobchak; 16-02-2010 at 22:20.
waltersobchak is offline  
16-02-2010, 22:45   #4
dojojoe
Registered User
 
dojojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,387
Send a message via MSN to dojojoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltersobchak View Post
Im interested in seeing Hennig too, He must be pretty good, with being a 3rd generation wrestler and all. The only thing is i think he's in his early 30's, and doesnt really have his fathers "look" per se

No not exactly Mr. Perfect but he tags with DiBiase as the prodigal sons gimmick afaik.
Great way of exposing the new talent.
dojojoe is offline  
16-02-2010, 22:58   #5
flahavaj
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltersobchak View Post
Im interested in seeing Hennig too, He must be pretty good, with being a 3rd generation wrestler and all. The only thing is i think he's in his early 30's, and doesnt really have his fathers "look" per se

Having a father a wrestler is no guarantee though. Look at David Flair.
flahavaj is offline  
Advertisement
16-02-2010, 23:27   #6
waltersobchak
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by flahavaj View Post
Having a father a wrestler is no guarantee though. Look at David Flair.
Yeah very true..
waltersobchak is offline  
17-02-2010, 04:53   #7
waltersobchak
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,067
The following pairings for the WWE NXT show were announced on the final ECW on SyFy show this evening…

* Chris Jericho will be mentoring Wade Barrett
* Matt Hardy will be mentoring Justin Gabriel
* MVP will be mentoring Skip Sheffield
* Carlito will be mentoring Michael Tarver
* The Miz will be mentoring Daniel Bryan
* Christian will be mentoring Heath Slater
* CM Punk will be mentoring Darren Young
* R-Truth will be mentoring David Otunga

As previously reported, the show will feature teams of eight (4 rookies and 4 coaches per team) and be split by who are the heels and who are the faces. So the teams would be…

FACE TEAM:
* Matt Hardy
* Justin Gabriel
* MVP
* Skip Sheffield
* Christian
* Heath Slater
* R-Truth
* David Otunga

HEEL TEAM:
* Chris Jericho
* Wade Barrett
* Carlito
* Michael Tarver
* The Miz
* Daniel Bryan
* CM Punk
* Darren Young

Cant believe they didnt go for Jericho/Danielson that would have been unreal

Last edited by waltersobchak; 17-02-2010 at 10:40.
waltersobchak is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2010, 09:32   #8
Memnoch99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 247
I resume Daniel Bryan is actually Bryan Danielson? If so WTF is he doing on this show?
Memnoch99 is offline  
17-02-2010, 10:03   #9
Tricity Bendix
Registered User
 
Tricity Bendix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: the tower around which you orbited
Posts: 2,482
The Miz? REALLY?

Vince McMahon hates us.
Tricity Bendix is offline  
Advertisement
17-02-2010, 11:18   #10
Reganio 2
Registered User
 
Reganio 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,362
The Miz is.... Deadly . I don't see how you can hate The Miz, except for him being a good heel, he is to quote him Awesome.
Reganio 2 is offline  
Thanks from:
17-02-2010, 11:22   #11
Penn
Well-endowed
 
Penn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltersobchak View Post
The following pairings for the WWE NXT show were announced on the final ECW on SyFy show this evening…

* Chris Jericho will be mentoring Wade Barrett
* Matt Hardy will be mentoring Justin Gabriel
* MVP will be mentoring Skip Sheffield
* Carlito will be mentoring Michael Tarver
* The Miz will be mentoring Daniel Bryan
* Christian will be mentoring Heath Slater
* CM Punk will be mentoring Darren Young
* R-Truth will be mentoring David Otunga

As previously reported, the show will feature teams of eight (4 rookies and 4 coaches per team) and be split by who are the heels and who are the faces. So the teams would be…

FACE TEAM:
* Matt Hardy
* Justin Gabriel
* MVP
* Skip Sheffield
* Christian
* Heath Slater
* R-Truth
* David Otunga

HEEL TEAM:
* Chris Jericho
* Wade Barrett
* Carlito
* Michael Tarver
* The Miz
* Daniel Bryan
* CM Punk
* Darren Young

Cant believe they didnt go for Jericho/Danielson that would have been unreal
Wonder if Joe Hennig will just be bumped straight up to the main roster
Penn is offline  
17-02-2010, 11:48   #12
waltersobchak
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyirishman85 View Post
Wonder if Joe Hennig will just be bumped straight up to the main roster
I kind of get the impression they've held some wrestlers back, for the next round of 8 development guys, kinda of a why put all our eggs in one basket sort of thing..
waltersobchak is offline  
17-02-2010, 11:58   #13
JP Liz V1
Registered User
 
JP Liz V1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch99 View Post
I resume Daniel Bryan is actually Bryan Danielson? If so WTF is he doing on this show?
Yes it is
JP Liz V1 is offline  
17-02-2010, 12:08   #14
gimmick
Moderator
 
gimmick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cork
Posts: 19,684
Danielson being "mentored" by The Miz is an insult to the entire industry of professional wrestling. Of course, it may be done from the charisma point of view, something The Miz has in abundance.

Should be an interesting show. I am just wondering how much of it will be worked?
gimmick is offline  
17-02-2010, 12:23   #15
Diabhal Beag
Known cowboy
 
Diabhal Beag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A stone's throw from Senegal
Posts: 11,099
Mod: GMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
Danielson being "mentored" by The Miz is an insult to the entire industry of professional wrestling. Of course, it may be done from the charisma point of view, something The Miz has in abundance.
You answered it. I'm sure the WWE know he's "THE BEST IN THE WORLD" to all on the internet. He just needs to be able to cut better promos to make any waves in the WWE.
Diabhal Beag is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet