Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StepVheN

Hey Waller when you heading over? I'm finishing up my paper work at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Waller07

StepVheN wrote: »
    Hey Waller when you heading over? I'm finishing up my paper work at the moment.

Hi:) are you going to Doha too? i go Thursday.....so nervous now, I cant believe how quick it has came around!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StepVheN

Waller07 wrote: »
    Hi:) are you going to Doha too? i go Thursday.....so nervous now, I cant believe how quick it has came around!

Yeah there's a lot going over this week. I've yet to sign the contract. I'm hopefully going to Ruwais

How did it go for you. Did you submit all your documents first THEN do the contract or the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Karen26 wrote: »
    You primary school teaching? I am secondary school, be teaching PE..Should be fun.. bit nervous though.. having going away party tomorrow so that should be fun ;) you all set for flight? I am heading up Monday morning at 5am ;( Be tired!!! Cant wait for the sun though and the Irish parties ;)

Is it possible to teach things other than English over there? I have a degree in Primary Teaching. Could I teach in the Middle East as a primary teacher and not just as an English teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Hi I have just been reading through everyones comments on this as I am very interested in applying for next year. I came bk from Oz in July so kinda wishing I applied for this year to teach in UAE but nevermind at least I have a year in cold Ireland.:pac:

I have a degree and masters in psychology but have no teaching experience, I wonder will this be ok to teach primary?

Also I a just wondering about the people who got accepted for this year and if theyre all enjoying it so far?
    Should I be applying as early as now? I have sent an email to Sabis, so will they just send me out an application form?
    Any info would be great. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cogar

Having worked for SABIS and having left because of the conditions I wouldn't ever want to go back. there are much better pay and conditions on offer elsewhere. (I do think that a qualified teacher would find the conditions atrocious - i.e. how the schools are run - they are purely there to make money and do not hide this fact. they also pretend and try to convince you that certain conditions (e.g. ADHD) does not exist and put this down to bad teaching - if anything goes wrong, it is always the teacher who is at "fault") yes it can be extremely exciting - the prospect of living in oil rich UAE, but think carefully about your decision. they are not like western schools at all. however i would not advise you not to go - i am merely offering my opinion having worked for SABIS. Best of luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cogar

surely people should find the alarmingly high turnover rate in staff weird - i.e. if the experience is that good why are so many people leaving every year? and also why is nearly everyone they hire a recent graduate - experienced people would not do this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 siobhan21

just wondering if anyone is in ruwais, got offered a position as a spare teacher there and was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the place please!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

Has the application cycle started for next year? Has anyone applied yet? If so, where did you apply? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SarahOG

Hey, I am currently working with SABIS in the UAE and thought some people might like a perspective from someone who actually works as a teacher! I am really happy where I am, even though i'm currently not in a big city or town. It takes a couple weeks to become accustomed to a completely different way of life but soon everyone settles really quickly. There are no worries to be had about making friends because the majority of teachers will be from Ireland and are always highly excited when they hear new teachers are coming! No teacher has left our school and although the job is certainly not easy, it's worth it.

• Advertisement

SarahOG wrote: »
    Hey, I am currently working with SABIS in the UAE and thought some people might like a perspective from someone who actually works as a teacher! I am really happy where I am, even though i'm currently not in a big city or town. It takes a couple weeks to become accustomed to a completely different way of life but soon everyone settles really quickly. There are no worries to be had about making friends because the majority of teachers will be from Ireland and are always highly excited when they hear new teachers are coming! No teacher has left our school and although the job is certainly not easy, it's worth it.

How long did it take you to get one of those application packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Redstrips

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Boards!

Just wondering can people offer some recent advice on teaching in Dubai with SABIS? I have just sent my CV for recruitment next August 2012.

What are the schools/ conditions/ pay like? What is the social life and people like? Best regions to go to?

Was seriously considering of going for perhaps 2 years to make some money/ experience new things and gain teaching experience.

Also I dont have a teaching degree....I have a Business Studies degree, is this a problem?

All opinions welcome! :)

Redstrips wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Boards!

Just wondering can people offer some recent advice on teaching in Dubai with SABIS? I have just sent my CV for recruitment next August 2012.

What are the schools/ conditions/ pay like? What is the social life and people like? Best regions to go to?

Was seriously considering of going for perhaps 2 years to make some money/ experience new things and gain teaching experience.

Also I dont have a teaching degree....I have a Business Studies degree, is this a problem?

All opinions welcome! :)

You don't need a teaching degree to do it. I've applied also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's the pay and can you save much of it?

And would a qualified teacher get more pay than someone else?

kraggy wrote: »
    What's the pay and can you save much of it?

And would a qualified teacher get more pay than someone else?

I'd imagine if you're a qualified teacher then you could negotiate for a better package based on your experience. For graduates, I think the pay comes to around 1500 euros per month (that's what I read in earlier posts in this thread). I think they pay utilities and transport, and the accommodation is in the package as well. So I suppose the 1500 is really food, clothes and entertainment money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arabic

International School of Choueifat has amazin sticker wanna buy some any help

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

If my memory serves me rightly, the stickers had a little Sabis logo printed on them. It was so small that you had you look very hard to notice it. That makes me think the only place you could get some is in one of the schools, or from a current/ former teacher who had a wad of them. I'll go hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jmatthews12

@seanfada or anyone else who has taught with Sabis. I have 2 years experience teaching in Korea, I wonder will this count towards receiving a better wage? In Korea I am able to reach mostly what I want, is there any room to manoeuvre in the Sabis syllabus to teach other things? Lastly I am travelling with my fiance who also wants to teach with Sabis, is it possible to get a shared apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alia89

Hi Guys,

I have a telephone interview with SABIS on December 15th and I was wondering if anyone can give me useful information on what they actually ask? And what are the best answers to give. Anything will be helpful.

Thank you :)

Alia89 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a telephone interview with SABIS on December 15th and I was wondering if anyone can give me useful information on what they actually ask? And what are the best answers to give. Anything will be helpful.

Thank you :)

I think if you look at the application form, there is a part which says "if called for interview", be prepared to answer questions on the Sabis educational system and ask questions on the educational system that you need clarified or explained. There was also something about a subject knowledge test, but this may be more for a face to face interview..... I would imagine. I'm reading through the general information sheet to try and familiarise myself with their system. But I think we might also have to answer the usual "Why do you want to work for us/ why do you think your better than other applicants" nonsense.
    Good luck for your phone interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Redstrips

Does anyone know what is a 'recent electronic passport photo' - Is this just a scanned passport photo of yourself?

Also, be great to hear how telephone interview goes, I have mine the 21st Dec. Just filling out application here!

Does anyone know what is a 'recent electronic passport photo' - Is this just a scanned passport photo of yourself?

Also, be great to hear how telephone interview goes, I have mine the 21st Dec. Just filling out application here!

I think its just a scanned copy of your passport, also has anyone actually had their first telephone interview recently? Im pretty nervous because they could literally ask anything out of the blue, I know it says in the application form that;
    • If called for interview, please be ready to:
      • Answer technical questions on your area of specialization, and take a proficiency test to assess your subject knowledge.
      • Ask questions on points of the SABIS® Educational System you would like clarified or explained in greater detail.
      • Answer questions related to SABIS Educational System as stated in General Information Sheet I.
    But im one of those who likes to be prepared, I would like to know exactly what they ask so that I have somewhat of an idea.

I did a photo with the digital camera. Then I just made it as small as possible and cropped it. Then I just copied and pasted it onto the application form.

Also, knowing the answers to the questions on the application form would be a very good idea for the phone interview

Kohl wrote: »
    I did a photo with the digital camera. Then I just made it as small as possible and cropped it. Then I just copied and pasted it onto the application form.

Also, knowing the answers to the questions on the application form would be a very good idea for the phone interview

Yes knowing the answers to the question, or atleast knowing what questions they actually ask will be greatly helpful....

Thanks

Hey Guys,

My first telephone interview is in an hour, and im actually a little nervous..hope it goes well and they dont ask me tough questions, im going to use this oppurtunity to clarify a few things with them aswel...

Any good questions to ask them?

Anything will be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Potz1179

I had my interview during the week bit long (20 mins) but went ok, they ask plenty of annoying questions like how do you think you could inspire your students, how would you maintain discipline in the classroom without loosing the rag, and what methods would you use to keep the childrens attention spans during the long school days. Have your application form in front of you and the sabis information too and you should be able to flick back and forth between the two, worked for me. To be fair I found myself giving similar answers to a lot of what they asked me but I still think it went ok! I just hope they get back to me sooner than next august don't want to have to wait around until then!

Potz1179 wrote: »
    I had my interview during the week bit long (20 mins) but went ok, they ask plenty of annoying questions like how do you think you could inspire your students, how would you maintain discipline in the classroom without loosing the rag, and what methods would you use to keep the childrens attention spans during the long school days. Have your application form in front of you and the sabis information too and you should be able to flick back and forth between the two, worked for me. To be fair I found myself giving similar answers to a lot of what they asked me but I still think it went ok! I just hope they get back to me sooner than next august don't want to have to wait around until then!

I messed my interview up bad today! Everything was going alright until the very end when he asked have you had any criminal convictions to which I said erm no but did get told off once for an argument with my sister! To which he ended the interview but I guess the interview was supposedly going to end as there was literally nothing more to ask me. Ahhh what was I thinking, I don't think ill be hearing back from the recruiter anytime soon..ahh well I feel like such an idiot right now..hope everyone elses interview goes well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MsJavanna1

Potz1179 wrote: »

Hi Future SABISERs! I am currently in the same process as you. I applied for SABIS in October, throughout November completed the interviews. I did find the interviewers polite, detailed, and respectful. Mid December, I finally received a phone call to go over the contact. At first, I found the contract alarming. However the recruiter did talk to me for 1 hour (on their dime) to explain every detail. I also confirmed all the information with other sources. I believe SABIS is a large and growing network, and is continuing to grow, and therefore you are NOT going to see much 'monkey business' going on.

I do have previous experience teaching in the Middle East. It is a difficult area to adjust to, but once adjusted its extremely difficult to leave. However, I have seen many many unadjusted teachers vanish after the Christmas Holidays. Therefore, if you are in the interview process, hang tight, you may get called after the new year (Jan 10th is fair). My old school, lost 7 teachers out of 21 (30%) after the holidays. Within 3 days, 8 new teachers were hired and flown into the Middle East.

Back to the contract! Well, I was scared to death when "my contract" explained a passport procedure. Again, the recruiter explained the procedure, and I also confirmed with a few friends in UAE/OMAN/Qatar that holding once's passport was normal procedure for everyone. I guess initally the school will apply for a Visa (which saves you a ton of cash like couple hundred dollars). Once you arrive, the school is also going to apply and pay for a Residency 3 year term, which is actually a blessing and a savings. This process is said to take 3 weeks. However, whenever you are in the Middle East and you are given a time frame, make sure you double it, or you are going to become frustration for no reason. So, I am anticipating 6 weeks. By having a Resisdency Card, you will have unlimited access to travel outside the boarders. So think of it as freedom to travel. If you keep your passport, with only a work visa, your exit & entry is limited.

I have more details about the Middle East, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

MsJavanna1 wrote: »
    However, I have seen many many unadjusted teachers vanish after the Christmas Holidays. Therefore, if you are in the interview process, hang tight, you may get called after the new year (Jan 10th is fair). My old school, lost 7 teachers out of 21 (30%) after the holidays. Within 3 days, 8 new teachers were hired and flown into the Middle East.

Was this with SABIS or someone else? Did they not adjust to the working conditions or the culture. Explain.

• Advertisement

Alia89 wrote: »
    I messed my interview up bad today! Everything was going alright until the very end when he asked have you had any criminal convictions to which I said erm no but did get told off once for an argument with my sister! To which he ended the interview but I guess the interview was supposedly going to end as there was literally nothing more to ask me. Ahhh what was I thinking, I don't think ill be hearing back from the recruiter anytime soon..ahh well I feel like such an idiot right now..hope everyone elses interview goes well. :(

I'm sure you did better than you think.

Advertisement