Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

NickDrake wrote: »
    Can Met Eireann get it wrong again? Wouldn't be the first time.

I remember they messed up big time by missing the snow that hit the East one night last winter when it came in off the Irish sea

Yeah. How dare ME not control the convection rates for the Irish sea!!!! Bunch of fools!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Latest NAE, however im with Su on this one,i think only nthe highest hills seeing some accumulation .

11121600_1418.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

What do you reckon the probability is of this happening in the North West? I've a bit of driving to do tomorrow evening.

Should be snow showers above around 100 m in the northwest tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Redsunset, would that pink blob be likely to move any way ... like... just a little South ? ... any chance at all ? ... please and thank you ?

Oh she'll move any way it wants in next runs and even become a magician and disappear.:D

• Advertisement

From Ian Fergusson,

Just finished long conference with UKMO colleagues. Please keep tuned to f'casts for Thurs night/Fri AM. Glos/M4 Wilts snow issue Fri AM: not good...

So it looks like parts of southern England are in for a wintry belt,Feckers

Edit,yeah must be worried bout this from the NAE. EDIT UKMO WARNING Outbreaks of heavy rain will turn readily to snow during the early hours of Friday. The snow is likely to accumulate over time with a risk of up to 10 cm over higher ground. At low levels sleet is more likely but even here some lying snow cannot be ruled out.
    11121612_1418.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im amazed how the charts changed so much in the space of the afternoon/evening. I shouldnt be I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

redsunset wrote: »
    From Ian Fergusson,

Just finished long conference with UKMO colleagues. Please keep tuned to f'casts for Thurs night/Fri AM. Glos/M4 Wilts snow issue Fri AM: not good...

So it looks like parts of southern England are in for a wintry belt,Feckers

Edit,yeah must be worried bout this from the NAE

But again it will be on the moors, above around 150 metres. Should be some very high snowfall rates there on the northwest sector of the low tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

just checked bbc and sky weather (red button) and there could be a good snow event on Thursday night between 11 and 1 am for the southeast and east. dont know how much but hope it goes as predicted as it would be nice to see some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

dbyrne wrote: »
    just checked bbc and sky weather (red button) and there could be a good snow event on Thursday night between 11 and 1 am for the southeast and east. dont know how much but hope it goes as predicted as it would be nice to see some snow.

But surely that's based on the 3.30 run today as the 9.30 run has just wiped all snow from south east IMO no? ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

redsunset wrote: »
    Oh she'll move any way it wants in next runs and even become a magician and disappear.:D

Well I'm not thanking THAT ! :mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Can be very hard to forecast snow, especially in this situation but I don’t even think she mentioned tomorrow night and the same after the six o clock news.

And here is the Gfs 18z run snow gone.

prectypeuktopo.png

2vb29eu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Will there be any snow around Cork, near the town of Mallow??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

closeline wrote: »
    Will there be any snow around Cork, near the town of Mallow??

that chart above should answer your question

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

NAE 0Z keeping slim hopes alive.

185283.png

Dew Points not looking too bad.

185285.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

mickger when will that hit the southeast?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

bassy wrote: »
    mickger when will that hit the southeast?

There are no guarantees it will hit anywhere. If by some miracle that it happens and the NAE charts are right it would be after Midnight tonight. Thats a mighty big IF though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

ah the nae snow map...see how it turns snow to rain as it heads inland...
    Indicative but wildly inaccurate.

This will be a high ground mostly event folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Latest sat. pic. :(
    0afd80f1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Any update on this? I guess the threat of snow is limited to ulster at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well if heavy continuous rain was snow we would be in drifts at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looks like the front is hitting the south west at the moment. Will be interesting to see its exact track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

arctictree wrote: »
    Looks like the front is hitting the south west at the moment. Will be interesting to see its exact track.

I'm in Limerick and there isn't a cloud around, lovely day out. Temp is at 6c.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

It was 0-1 degrees last nite but yet was pissing rain,I don't get it , does it not snow from 0-3 degrees or what other factors is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

davidsr20 wrote: »
    It was 0-1 degrees last nite but yet was pissing rain,I don't get it , does it not snow from 0-3 degrees or what other factors is needed?

Snowdance is essential..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

davidsr20 wrote: »
    negative dewpoints and probably thickness ,the latter needs to be sub 525 or so to be sure if in off the atlantic in my experience.
    Unfortunately a thing that goes awry when the polar air over you is mixed with too much atlantic muck sourced from the gulf of mexico.

Thats where northeasterlies sourced up above norway somewhere have the advantage.
    No North atlantic gulf sourced air mixing in them.

Ditto for Easterlies and direct northerlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Just had a wet snow shower a half hour ago with graupel mixed in.

Dew point was about 1.5 at the time while the air temp was at 5.8c. Both the air temp and dew point have dropped considerably in the last hr. Hopefully some more showers push in this evening and tonight, I might just get lucky with some snow.

Reading from my weatHer station for the past 24 hours below.

185310.jpg

Snow in Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Can you send some a little further to your South?

Been a reasonably bright and dry day so far here in West Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The reporter is wearing a wooly hat!!

Who was the TV presenter last year who wore the hat a lot of people were talking about? The name escapes me at the moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Tactical wrote: »
    The reporter is wearing a wooly hat!!

Who was the TV presenter last year who wore the hat a lot of people were talking about? The name escapes me at the moment :(

Paul Cunningham I think?

Advertisement