Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday/Friday Snow Potential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

homolumo wrote: »
    Paul Cunningham I think?

...and his Afghan hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Tactical wrote: »
    Can you send some a little further to your South?

Been a reasonably bright and dry day so far here in West Limerick.

Can send a courier down later if we get any, Tactical. Unless you can collect it in Tarbert? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

homolumo wrote: »
    Paul Cunningham I think?

Don't think it was Paul who had the "original" hat. I might be wrong, but I don't think it was Paul.

Will trawl youtube a little later.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Can send a courier down later if we get any, Tactical. Unless you can collect it in Tarbert? :)

If you can supply good quality material I could take a spin in that direction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Tactical wrote: »
    Don't think it was Paul who had the "original" hat. I might be wrong, but I don't think it was Paul.

Will trawl youtube a little later.

Ah it was, it was! I remember reading the thread at the time and howling with laughter as he looked so, so,..........dorky in his hat.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

From the 12Z Valentia and Castor Bay soundings, the snowline is around 400 metres in the south, and around 650 metres in the north. Respective 850-1000/500-1000 thicknesses are 1301 m/529 dam at Valentia and 1309 m/528 dam at Castor. We would need around <1285 m and 520 dam for sea-level snow.

These should come down a bit after dark, but the lowest we can expect snow is around 150 m in the northwest and midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

With no scientific basis to this belief i think we might get showers of snow to lower level if we get the precipitation later tonight. feels a bit colder today though the wind chill isn't there.

I see where there is a warning for snow and slippery conditons in Munster tomorrow morning...

www.meteoalarm.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The Hat and Paul Cunningham.
    0002e54e-314.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I see where there is a warning for snow and slippery conditons in Munster tomorrow morning...

www.meteoalarm.eu

"no special awareness requires" Munster is in green as is Donegal, rest of the country in yellow for cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Those were the days - freezing cold and Paul Cuningham reporting on it in his mad hat.

It has got to the point now where my body actually needs to see blue skys and the sun for more than a fleeting glance - if that - between the fairly persistant wind and rain. I don't know about everyone else around the country, but it feels like I haven't really seen blue skies or the sun since last April.

I'm used to vitamin D deficiency in the winter, but this has gone beyond that now to a psychological realm I'm like a fecking sun-deprived zombie desperate for a hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

snow ghost wrote: »
    I'm used to vitamin D deficiency in the winter, but this has gone beyond that now to a psychological realm I'm like a fecking sun-deprived zombie desperate for a hit.

A weekend away in Cork is what you want. We've had some lovely spells of beautiful weather with plenty of sunshine between the mild infrequent showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

I can see the sharp border of the cloud from that system to the south from here.

Current temp in Arklow btw is 3.6c with a dewpoint of - 0.2c

gbee wrote: »
    "no special awareness requires" Munster is in green as is Donegal, rest of the country in yellow for cold

Munster is in yellow for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Munster is in yellow for tomorrow.

The secondary low looks to be effecting munster from 6am.
    http://maths.ucd.ie/met/mcc-forecast.html

ME

15 December 2011 16:15

Today Very cold this evening and tonight with frost and icy conditions. Some rain or sleet near the south coast will die away early tonight. Scattered showers elsewhere will become confined to western and northern coastal counties for a time but will move further inland through parts of west Munster, Connaught and Ulster later tonight, some of snow in places. Some pockets of fog around dawn. Overnight lows of 0 to -4 degrees.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Very cold and frosty tomorrow morning with sunny spells and scattered wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow but the showers turning more to rain or hail in the afternoon and becoming confined to western counties by evening. Top temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Su Campu wrote: »
    From the 12Z Valentia and Castor Bay soundings, the snowline is around 400 metres in the south, and around 650 metres in the north. Respective 850-1000/500-1000 thicknesses are 1301 m/529 dam at Valentia and 1309 m/528 dam at Castor. We would need around <1285 m and 520 dam for sea-level snow.

These should come down a bit after dark, but the lowest we can expect snow is around 150 m in the northwest and midlands.

Snow level on mountains to the back of me now is down to approx 250m. Steadily during the day i can see the snow line descending down the hills/mountains.

I do hope I see some shower activity tonight. Temp is now 1.6c and DP is -0.7c.

Issued at 15 December 2011 - 17:03
    Weather Warning
    Very cold,frosty and icy this evening and overnight. Some sleet or snow showers expected later tonight and tomorrow morning, mainly in parts of the southwest,west and north.

No mention of the dreaded High Ground!

• Advertisement

If I see any snow I'll get a picture and maybe even some video of it falling if I'm lucky enough to have any in my neck of the woods.

Dunno what the temperature outside is, but I'm not even wearing a jumper when outdoors today :(

It has clouded over now, earlier it was mixed and fairly bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Any change in the latest charts in relation to south?

Clear here now , cars frosting up already , temp -0.5 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's what the Met Éireann aviation chart for midnight tonight shows.

For Ireland, it gives light rain showers, occasionally moderate in the west coast. Freezing level 1000 ft (300 m) over Ulster and Leinster.

The trailing occlusion affects the far north and northeastern coastal counties and western Scotland, bringing snow and sleet showers on mountains, otherwise rain and sleet showers. Isolated graupel showers and thunderstorms along coasts.

For the far southeastern coast, as well as Wales, southern England and northern France, it gives occasional moderate rain, drizzle and sleet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

tbh the forecast for any snow potential is over 200m for the next 4 days, then a milder outlook until new years :(

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here's what the Met Éireann aviation chart for midnight tonight shows.

For Ireland, it gives light rain showers, occasionally moderate in the west coast. Freezing level 1000 ft (300 m) over Ulster and Leinster.

The trailing occlusion affects the far north and northeastern coastal counties and western Scotland, bringing snow and sleet showers on mountains, otherwise rain and sleet showers. Isolated graupel showers and thunderstorms along coasts.

For the far southeastern coast, as well as Wales, southern England and northern France, it gives occasional moderate rain, drizzle and sleet.

Then why do met eireann have a weather warning on their site for sleet and snow showers? Not too many people reside in Ireland 300m above asl.

Dangerous out there already folks!! Roads with black Ice on them here in N Dublin!
    Did a bit of Ice skating an all! Ha :)

Great walking the dog weather though ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I hit -1.4c but back up to -0.4c now as some cloud rolls in, the High Res charts I looked at had a band of Sleet and Snow pushing down from the NW from about 6am with a chance of Snow in a line from North Dublin to Donegal, most likely Sleet on lower levels but Snow possible for a while. Next set of charts will be interesting.

http://iwo.ie/2011/12/15/weather-warning-cold-ice-and-possible-snow-151211/

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

folks the latest radar showing the precip edging up slightly...any chance of it causing some trouble with the low temps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

inabina wrote: »
    folks the latest radar showing the precip edging up slightly...any chance of it causing some trouble with the low temps?

Was just gonna ask the same thing :pac:

Advertisement