Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk of strong winds and heavy rain - Sunday the 23rd to Tuesday the 25th of October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

It seems quite strange that the wind gusts inland are so strong given that it is only
    gale force out to sea (e.g. the wind gusts recorded by the M5 buoy are similar to what is being recorded inland at Casement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Belting down here now, strong winds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just had a look at the ME radar, and i'm surprised there is not a huge blood red blob over south Carlow. Torrential rain here for the past 30/40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

Anyone know what time the winds should ease? Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Had a Gust of 93.3km/h now and over 25mm now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yeah and dessert is still to come,here's tomorrows ball of water.

179002.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely lashing in Cork City again with strong gusts of wind!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

28mm of rain and rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Very heavy wind in Kildare. Smashed my gate and sent it 20 yards across the road. Good job the car was out at the time.

Ok winds just died down now in Wexford , toodles off for a pint down to the local.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Duiske wrote: »
    Just had a look at the ME radar, and i'm surprised there is not a huge blood red blob over south Carlow. Torrential rain here for the past 30/40 minutes.

It's showing pink (1.5 - 5 mm/hr) there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I've only recorded half that amount, 12mm. :confused: more or less stopped now, not half as bad as I expected but tomorrow's another day :)
    13.8c at the moment - pity July wasn't that warm !!

Still going coming down steadily here! 30.2mm so far now and gusting to 64km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DanRu wrote: »
    Ok winds just died down now in Wexford , toodles off for a pint down to the local.

And gona get soaked on the way home:D,I'm only up the road and it's lashing with strong wind.

zerks wrote: »
    DanRu wrote: »

And gona get soaked on the way home:D,I'm only up the road and it's lashing with strong wind.

The things we do for a pint in this country....!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

30mm reached now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Winds in the last hour have reached a new level of intensity in S Kilkenny. Unmerciful gusts. Rain eased significantly though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

27.6mm so far today. Rain contiues to lash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's showing pink (1.5 - 5 mm/hr) there

Its strange. I've seen it on the odd occasion do the reverse. Radar shows moderate/heavy but we would only have light rain. Perhaps its something to do with being so close to Mt. Leinster. Rain stopped now, but wind howling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

37mm since 9am on the eastern edge of the Blessington Lakes

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

trogdor wrote: »
    Still going coming down steadily here! 30.2mm so far now and gusting to 64km/hr

Bottom of dip at Ardmore hill flooded & bottom of Killarney rd at Glenlucan flooded. Nice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

how much rain would have fallen in dublin 14 today? and will the weather be the same tomorrow? rain all day, still lashing in dublin:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

bb1234567 wrote: »
    how much rain would have fallen in dublin 14 today? and will the weather be the same tomorrow? rain all day, still lashing in dublin:D

31.0mm so far - not a million miles from you.

Same for tomorrow...or more maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

32.3mm here so far today, winds picking up now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

DOCARCH wrote: »
    31.0mm so far - not a million miles from you.

Same for tomorrow...or more maybe?

woah 31mm is 1.2 inches. imagine it was freezing cold out like -10 and we got really dry snow we could have 24 inches=2 feet of snow:eek: i looked it up and one inch of rain would be equal to 20 inches dry snow,12 inches normal,6 inches wet snow. imagine that 2 feet of snow in one day, and the same tomorrow, 4 feet , we can dream though;)

Latest Hirlam still showing east deluge tomorrow

prec_nordeuro-16.gif

Latest NAE still on board

11102415_2318.gif

However Gfs moves it further east and now only clipping coastal counties.This seems to also fall in line with the HI RES NMM too so not def yet of precise track.

ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just an interesting observation here, as the wind direction shifted from SW to SE over the course of today the Dublin/Wicklow mountains seem to have turned from rain shield into rain generator for the Dublin region. Orographic lift that was sucking up the precip from the SW earlier is now pepping it it up for east facing slopes and also deflecting it into Dublin.

Or am I just completely mad?

The R. Dodder should be interesting tomorrow if there's more heavy rain as forecast/modelled. Churchtown and Firhouse weirs especially ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Total up to 36.1mm now, a lot of water in the dargle at the moment and a very fast flow on it. All the drains are blocked up here and are spilling out onto the roads, along with starting to back up into the houses a bit..dunno what will happen if tomorrows rain occurs as the hirlam is progging!

This from UK MET OFFICE
    A period of especially heavy rain is expected over Cornwall on Monday morning and into the afternoon which could cause streams and rivers to burst their banks. The public should be prepared for disruption due to flooding.

2011-10-24

So depending on track and with the rain already fallen we could be looking at some serious flooding come tomorrow night in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Power just went out here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Must be the sub station at "Back of the wall" cos i have power on Avenue road.
    Although I'm not there but can check the CCTV from work here in Dublin, it looks wild outside alright :0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement