Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Lads let's not forget Financially our County Board are broke so we wont be getting any big name,If were lucky we'l get a top club manager and not forgetting there's not to many of them around,so i wouldnt be shocked or disappointed to see Michael Ryan get the job he was very good with De La Salle in fairness and a great motivator it was the Bull and Mullane who chased him for DLS so he must be held in some high regard. Let's not forget ballygunner bet them out the gate in early championship last year with one player even walkin off the field and running up the tunnel of walsh park with 10 mins to go (shocking) and the team were at each others throats with everyone blaming everyone bar themselves.. Now to get a group of club players to regroup like he did an totally blitz everyone who came in front of them after that was remarkable and not too many would be able to do that, they outplayed ballygunner all over the field in the county final an showed pure team spirit all year after that coing from behind in the munster semi an in the final and i think they were the best club team in our country so hats off to the man.. The DLS players missed michael ryan this year that was evident last sunday in walsh park. And his hurling CV is not too bad as a manager/selector Railway cups,national league,Provincial championship, county, we certainly would not be going back the way, our underage structure is a success in my eyes u-14,15,16 and minor all having success in the last 3 years so maybe we dont need an outsider maybe we need an insider..
    ah yeh looks like michael ryan and de best of luck 2 him we will see some improvement in hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah looks as though it's Ryan's to lose at this stage you'd have to think. Can't really imagine any other big contenders coming in at this stage to challenge him before the county board meet up next Monday to put forward their recommended choice. Surprised to see so many (not just here) dismiss him and his credentials and unwilling to give him a chance. I admit he probably would have been my second choice but if he gets the nod, I'd be more than willing to get behind him and see what he can do. God knows our hurling needs improvement so he'd surely address that if he gets in. I'm sure he has a good knowledge of players the length and breadth of the county so that could only help too.

Results from yesterday and today's Harty Cup games, disappointing from a Waterford POV
    Ardscoil Rís Limerick 2-21 De la Salle Waterford 1-16
    Blackwater C.S. Lismore 0-16 St. Colman's Fermoy 1-13
    Midleton CBS 3-9 Coláistí na nDéise 1-14

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Et Cetera wrote: »
    Forget all this manager talk for a second.

Tom Kelly needs a website/blog/twitter.

ah well worth a shot

If ever there was a man worthy of a newspaper column.. perhaps someone from the News & Star or the Munster is reading this forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

deise_girl wrote: »
    Exactly lads, you'll see me running once Im done with school... :)

Tomas Ryan would be starting so, i'm guessing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Lets call a spade a spade. Firstly the funds arent there for a big name at the moment. Davy Fitz spent a small fortune over his 3 and a half years in charge and we basically moved sideways under him. some will argue backwards cos of the style of hurling, or lack of it. But success-wise I think sideways.

Secondly, scully ryan is the only outstanding internal candidate at the moment. He's not involved with anyone else and he did well with DLS, very unlucky in the AI club semi final. Theres no one else internally that really stands out at the moment. There is no doubt there are more experienced hurling men in the county who deserve a shot after a lifetime of service to hurling in the county, who were putting in the hardgraft at underage level while scully was ponse-ing around with ladies football, taking all the plaudits at a time when there werent any other strong counties in the sport.

But they are not there at the moment and scully has put himself forward and shown the balls to throw his hat in the ring, where in my opinion other fellahs didnt. so good luck to him. Id give him a 2 year term, to be reviewed after one and see where it takes us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Exactly lads, you'll see me running once Im done with school... :)

There's still time now. Announce your interest in the job...bags bein campaign manager, just sayin ;)

Lets call a spade a spade. Firstly the funds arent there for a big name at the moment. Davy Fitz spent a small fortune over his 3 and a half years in charge and we basically moved sideways under him. some will argue backwards cos of the style of hurling, or lack of it. But success-wise I think sideways.

Secondly, scully ryan is the only outstanding internal candidate at the moment. He's not involved with anyone else and he did well with DLS, very unlucky in the AI club semi final. Theres no one else internally that really stands out at the moment. There is no doubt there are more experienced hurling men in the county who deserve a shot after a lifetime of service to hurling in the county, who were putting in the hardgraft at underage level while scully was ponse-ing around with ladies football, taking all the plaudits at a time when there werent any other strong counties in the sport.

But they are not there at the moment and scully has put himself forward and shown the balls to throw his hat in the ring, where in my opinion other fellahs didnt. so good luck to him. Id give him a 2 year term, to be reviewed after one and see where it takes us

Bit harsh maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

There is no doubt there are more experienced hurling men in the county who deserve a shot after a lifetime of service to hurling in the county, who were putting in the hardgraft at underage level while scully was ponse-ing around with ladies football, taking all the plaudits at a time when there werent any other strong counties in the sport.

I know you are endorsing Michael Ryan but I cant see why people keep using his time managing in Ladies football as a stick to beat him with. He has shown he is a capable hurling manager with De La Salle and that is the only criteria that should matter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

And the script is written...

Clare v Waterford in the semi-final

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so were going to be seen davy once again next year.

Munster draw 2012

QF- limerick vs Tippeary

SF- Clare vs Waterford
    SF- Cork vs Limerick/Tippearary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

And in football,

Waterford v Limerick QF
    Winners v Clare SF

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

deisedude wrote: »
    Tomas Ryan would be starting so, i'm guessing :pac:
    Captain tbh!! :pac:
    There's still time now. Announce your interest in the job...bags bein campaign manager, just sayin ;)

Well Im not claiming to be an expert or anything so of course, y'all can pm me with your applications to be part of my backroom team :)

Also lawds LAWL at getting Clare. We've been on the other side of the draw to Cork and Tipperary since 2007 now... And we get Clare after Davy leaving, like we get Limerick after Justin leaving, crazy world..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well that was no shock, always seems to happen in the GAA. Davy will be driving Clare for the winter on a diet of what every Waterford person/ex-player/internet post has said that is a slight against Clare and him.

Footballers have a great chance to make a Munster Final if they get a bit of luck.

Twould be nice if both made the Munster Finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I've been out of the loop recently but was Davy officially made the Clare manager unbeknown to me?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not official yet, it will be at the next county board meeting apparently, he's been put forward unopposed, word going around is that he has his back-room team in place (at least 15).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Clareman wrote: »
    Not official yet, it will be at the next county board meeting apparently, he's been put forward unopposed, word going around is that he has his back-room team in place (at least 15).

Christ I hope ye have a big enough budget :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Christ I hope ye have a big enough budget :eek:
    No problem with budget considering who's writing the cheques, paying the bills in a couple of years once they are both gone is where the problems will lie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

So it's Clare then, can't say I'm disappointed with that. Fifth year in a row avoiding a quarter final and also Cork and Tipp. Both teams 70mins away from a MF and both teams will no doubt fancy their chances. The Davy factor will add a spice to it and no doubt he'll be preparing for it from tomorrow morning, if not already.
    Tony will surely give it one more lash after seeing that now too. It'll be interesting to see what Clare will be like after a Winter/Spring of Div. 2 hurling, can't see it doing them many favours but it didn't seem to affect Limerick this year so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Not a bad draw for the footballers either.

Have they done the draws for the minor and U21 championships for next season yet? Wouldn't mind knowing who we get in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Interesting game for us next year. Davy must be thrilled beat us and prove that he was right all along. Here we are just over a week to go to our county final and no manager or selectors to pick players from match'es already played. Looking at De La Salle and Ballygunner last Sunday Bernard Dunne would have been a great choice.Seriously though looking at De La Salle they were a much better outfit last year playing some really lovely hurling I taught they really have gone back this year. Would that mean Michael Ryan had some influence there if so lets give him a chance. Davy beat Justin in his first opening game with us now lets see can we beat a team managed by him its going to be tough. I hope the county final will be a better game then last Sunday its a big ask for Tallow but they should walk out of Walsh Park Sunday week knowing they gave it their all win or lose they can hold their heads up high. Ballygunner will be raging hot favorite's but anything can happen in a final. Best of luck to both teams and here's to a great game with no fighting its boring to watch and not a good example to all the children who will be watching.

Captain tbh!! :pac:

Well Im not claiming to be an expert or anything so of course, y'all can pm me with your applications to be part of my backroom team :)

Also lawds LAWL at getting Clare. We've been on the other side of the draw to Cork and Tipperary since 2007 now... And we get Clare after Davy leaving, like we get Limerick after Justin leaving, crazy world..

We've been extremely lucky with the draw to be honest, effectively giving us a good chance of reaching a Munster Final for at least the last two years. Tipp must be wondering what curse they've drawn upon themself, finding themselves with the short end of the stick (QF's) for what will be the third year running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

We've been extremely lucky with the draw to be honest, effectively giving us a good chance of reaching a Munster Final for at least the last two years. Tipp must be wondering what curse they've drawn upon themself, finding themselves with the short end of the stick (QF's) for what will be the third year running.

THey feckin won is what theyve done :pac:

Mega Chin wrote: »
    THey feckin won is what theyve done :pac:

Well, perhaps curse was a strong word, lol, but you can't argue they've had a tough draw for three years now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

9 times out of the last 13 :(, obviously need for representatives on the Munster Council ;)

9 times out of the last 13 :(, obviously need for representatives on the Munster Council ;)

Ha ha, sympathy rescinded, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hey guys just seen this on Hoganstand,John Meyler been linked with the job as yer new boss.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=156132

Kerry hurling manager John Meyler is being strongly linked with the vacant Waterford post.

The St Finbarr's clubman led the Kingdom to their first Christy Ring Cup title this year but his initial two-year term at the Kerry helm has elapsed, so he is effectively a free agent. The former Cork selector and Wexford manager has now jumped into pole position to succeed Davy Fitzgerald as Waterford boss.

Former selector Michael Ryan was reported to be the main candidate for the job earlier this week but - according to today's Irish Examiner - a source close to the appointments committee has intimated that Ryan is not a leading contender.

Should Meyler be appointed, he would be the third 'Barrs clubman to take charge of an intercounty hurling team ahead of the 2012 campaign, following Jimmy Barry-Murphy (Cork) and John Allen (Limerick).

Hey guys just seen this on Hoganstand,John Meyler been linked with the job as yer new boss.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=156132

Kerry hurling manager John Meyler is being strongly linked with the vacant Waterford post.

The St Finbarr's clubman led the Kingdom to their first Christy Ring Cup title this year but his initial two-year term at the Kerry helm has elapsed, so he is effectively a free agent. The former Cork selector and Wexford manager has now jumped into pole position to succeed Davy Fitzgerald as Waterford boss.

Former selector Michael Ryan was reported to be the main candidate for the job earlier this week but - according to today's Irish Examiner - a source close to the appointments committee has intimated that Ryan is not a leading contender.

Should Meyler be appointed, he would be the third 'Barrs clubman to take charge of an intercounty hurling team ahead of the 2012 campaign, following Jimmy Barry-Murphy (Cork) and John Allen (Limerick).

It's like a turkey shoot at this point, with a news hungry sports media latching onto any and all rumours, it would seem. This is of course, no reflection on the majority of the canditates put in the spotlight over the last few weeks, but does anyone know what stage the county board/ selection committee are at in their ruminations ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

It's like a turkey shoot at this point, with a news hungry sports media latching onto any and all rumours, it would seem. This is of course, no reflection on the majority of the canditates put in the spotlight over the last few weeks, but does anyone know what stage the county board/ selection committee are at in their ruminations ?

Interviews took place over the past week in secret locations the co. board have kept cards very close to chest and left the public & the media guessing. Unknown if there are still interviews toi take place but they were due to conclude at the end of this week. I believe Meyler has been interviewed if this is true Id be very happy to have him. Hes got genuine hurling credentials, better than any other names of those supposedly interviewed. I think we'll know more for sure next week

Interviews took place over the past week in secret locations the co. board have kept cards very close to chest and left the public & the media guessing. Unknown if there are still interviews toi take place but they were due to conclude at the end of this week. I believe Meyler has been interviewed if this is true Id be very happy to have him. Hes got genuine hurling credentials, better than any other names of those supposedly interviewed. I think we'll know more for sure next week

How highly do you rate the Christy Ring?

He did well with Kerry fair enough, and he did alrite with Wexford (yes, only alrite). I really don't see why we would want him. John Allen is an all-ireland winner, so yeah I would like him but I do think that someone from inside the county should be the next on our list barring the very best managers who you can't ignore. Don't think Meyler falls under that category. Michael Ryan, to be fair to him, will have attended more club games than any other candidates these past two years.

It's bizarre that Jason Ryan is topping the poll, that people believed this would have been a good move. I can't see the players reacting and saying 'Sure he was a good footballe manager, he'll surely be a good hurling manager'. Michael Ryan has never managed an inter-county team, fair enough, but his hurling credentials far exceed that of his namesake.

De La Salle obviously believed that it was a good idea to bring him in as manager in the first place, and you'd have to say it paid dividends for them.

I sense that there is a bit of a resistance to Michael Ryan more for personal reasons then actual hurling reasons, which I suppose is always something that can happen when you have an insider that people may know involved. Some of him have even referred to him as scully, which I'm assuming is a nickname of some sort, which really suggests they know him or know someone who knows him. Also saying 'ponsing about with ladies football taking all the credit when there was nobody else to beat' again suggest a personal dislike to a certain degree.

To be honest, I wasn't sure up until now who I wanted as manager, but I'm willing to stick my neck out and say I'm backing Michael Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

It might be just media speculation but if meyler gets the job ahead of Michael Ryan I think it's a disgrace.
    Ryan mustn't have too many friends on the county board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It might be just media speculation but if meyler gets the job ahead of Michael Ryan I think it's a disgrace.
    Ryan mustn't have too many friends on the county board.

Well it won't help that he dropped one of the selection committee's son's who was previously untouchable as a regular starter for DLS, and rarely if ever gave him a run even. The said chap has since transferred club and county to Wicklow where he now works.

Agree with Mountainlad here - if we're talking with two people of similar ability I reckon we've got to start being loyal to our own. We're one of the few counties who even consider outsiders - which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, but unless it is someone very good we shouldn't be looking outside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement