Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Today was the first time I got to see DLS in 2011, and they were moving nothing like the way they were in 2010. There may a number of reasons for this - weather, form, Ballygunner on the day etc., but possibly also perhaps the absence of Michael Ryan. Last year there was a different style of play and excellent movement in the forward line. Today DLS seemed unable to create any space for the likes of Mullane or Dillon.

Secondly, I think Wadding was pretty poor overall. Some strange decisions on both sides. How only one person was sent off in the two rows is unbelievable.

I'm also baffled as to how there was only 2 mins of added time in the second half, particularly as it was announced directly after a 4-5 minute injury stoppage.

Without wanting to provoke the Ballygunner folk, I think DLS threw this game away. The difference between the sides was the ability to convert frees. Ballygunner were able to point most of these, DLS missed probably 6 which they would normally convert.

Indiscipline also cost DLS - Paidi Nevin being sent off after 5 mins left them in all sorts of trouble. He would have been extremely useful fighting for dirty breaking ball around midfield.

With a view to next years Waterford senior team, Stephen O'Keefe looked very composed today, making an excellent double save in the first half. Madigan at full forward must be given a nod next year in my opinion. I reckon he has a lot of potential and huge physical presence for such a young player - and quite accurate. I think Stephen Daniels and Dean Twomey did themselves no harm today either and may warrant a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Would it be counted as a big surprise that Tallow are in the senior hurling final? I worked with a few lads from that area 2 years ago and they never had much good to say about their hurling team,obviously they have made major improvements since then.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Would it be counted as a big surprise that Tallow are in the senior hurling final? I worked with a few lads from that area 2 years ago and they never had much good to say about their hurling team,obviously they have made major improvements since then.

Yep, big turnaround from being beaten by DLS in the quarter last year by around 20 points. However, being realistic the county final was played today between Ballygunner and DLS who are both a notch above the rest probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ya, its a huge surprise. They have gone tamely out in the quarter finals the last few years and taken some big hammerings on a few occasions including to Ballygunner in the group stage this year. That being said they have a team of small skillful hurlers and try and play an attractive brand of hurling. They have showed good spirit the last two games against Lismore and Ballyduff to come through after tight games. Can't help but feeling though that the 3 best teams this year on form (Fourmilewater, Ballygunner, De La salle) were all on the other side of the draw. I think beating the Gunners is a step too far for this Tallow team but i'd love if they proved me wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Thanks to hardybuck and deisedude. I remember 2 years ago they came into work 1 morning saying Tallow will never win f**kall and their useless! They were after been beat out the gate in a quarter final. Still fair play to them for reaching this year's final,all the best to them but Ballygunner are a class act in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

Cake Man wrote: »
    BG through to county final 2-10 to 0-11. Poor enough game with the wet conditions. DLS really left it behind missing about 5 or 6 frees that would have won them the game.
    Turning point came after HT when JJ Hutchinson goaled straight after the throw in to put daylight between the teams and I don't think DLS were ever in front after that.
    Paudi Nevin sent off after about 5 mins with scuffles all over the field, mentors having to tear players apart and plenty of digs thrown all over the place. Sa Mega Chin said, more scuffles in the tunnel at HT.
    I thought DLS were prob the better team over the 70mins, just the missed frees cost them dearly. Moran was excellent, as was Dean Twomey. Mullane started well but faded out of the game big time and missed a few of those frees. Eoin Madigan was good too. Problem for DLS was the lack of good ball going up to the forwards. BG put Wayne Hutchinson as a sweeper between full and half back lines as the extra man to ensure the DLS forwards were feeding off scraps really.
    Pauric Mahony was decent from frees, something DLS could really have done with.

Ballygunner v Tallow in two weeks time. Walsh park or Fraher field??

All hurling in Walsh Park this year except where it is possible to have two western teams involved.

Anyone at the Tourin Capaquin game? Junior 2 years ago and now on the cusp of senior, fair play to them

Was not a great game to be honest, but the conditions helped for it to be that way. Shane Fives had a very good game at Centre Forward for Tourin. Darragh only came on for the last 15 minutes or so and did well. Scored a point. Mark Landers had a good game for Cappoquin. Highlight of the game was a goal straight from a sideline puck about ten minutes into the second half hit by Daithi Wilkinson. it put Tourin a point up. His brother Darragh had a very solid game in goal.

Ah it's not that at all DD, fair play to BG and I for one wish them all the best. Was just looking around at the other county championships in Munster and it can be seen that Thurles Sars, Sars from Cork, Newtownshandrum, Toomevara are all out so of the teams left, BG would be the only team left in Munster that have won it before/recently (if memory is correct) so if they can overcome Tallow they'll be in with a shout for Munster I think.

The fact that these teams are out could suggest that the teams left are very good teams and maybe Ballygunner or Tallow could have it tough in Munster, but saying that, you have to fancy Ballygunner to win it now.

Not really. They are getting to quarter finals and semi finals with the last few years. They also have some very good hurlers in the likes of Aidan Kearney (you could but not wonder why he has not featured more for Waterford in recent years when you see him play yesterday), David O'Brien, (Another player who got a raw deal while in the Waterford panel), Mark O'Brien, James Murray (who is playing good this year), Thomas Ryan, Paul O'Brien and the likes of Evan Sheehan and Aaron Pratt who may not be the seen as the best of hurlers by some but they do a hell of a lot of work when they play and manages to get their few scores in every game. Eoin Condon is another player that chips in with his few scores in every game. Shaun O'Sullivan while not as good as keeper as Adrian Power, Stephen O'Keeffe and brendan Landers is not a bad keeper. Yesterday in the subs they had Donnchadha Mulcahy and Brian Henley who could cause the opposition a hit of trouble.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yep, big turnaround from being beaten by DLS in the quarter last year by around 20 points. However, being realistic the county final was played today between Ballygunner and DLS who are both a notch above the rest probably.

Someone should tell the Tallow lads not to bother showing up in Walsh Park so in two weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    Not really. They are getting to quarter finals and semi finals with the last few years. They also have some very good hurlers in the likes of Aidan Kearney (you could but not wonder why he has not featured more for Waterford in recent years when you see him play yesterday), David O'Brien, (Another player who got a raw deal while in the Waterford panel), Mark O'Brien, James Murray (who is playing good this year), Thomas Ryan, Paul O'Brien and the likes of Evan Sheehan and Aaron Pratt who may not be the seen as the best of hurlers by some but they do a hell of a lot of work when they play and manages to get their few scores in every game. Eoin Condon is another player that chips in with his few scores in every game. Shaun O'Sullivan while not as good as keeper as Adrian Power, Stephen O'Keeffe and brendan Landers is not a bad keeper. Yesterday in the subs they had Donnchadha Mulcahy and Brian Henley who could cause the opposition a hit of trouble.

It was to be fair a big suprise that they beat Lismore. They were emphatically beaten by Ballygunner in the group stages. I fear for them in the final I really do.

I think you've been too generous to some of those you've mentioned, and indeed too harsh on Pratt and Sheehan in a way, as both are 19 and both hit a fine score each yesterday.

I dunno about the rest of ye, but I thought the carry on in the game was disgraceful. I'm not naive, I do hurl, I know what goes on off the ball, but it looked to me as if they'd more interest in beating the sh*t out of each other than hurling at times in the game, some really petty squabbles turning into players, mentors and subs getting involved! Reall bad stuff now in that regard. I'd also agree it would appear harsh that Nevin was the only one sent off.

And I agree, Twomey should have had two clear frees, but these things happen I guess. I still do think Wadding is the best ref in Waterford.

As regards the game didnt think it was bad. Dunno what people expected with the weather conditions. I certainly thought it far exceeded yesterdays game. Seeing J.J. Hutchisons goal, SOK's saves and Eoin Madigans scores were worth the admission fee for me.

Twomey, Doherty, David O'Sullivan, both Hutchisons, Shane Walsh and Eoin Madigan stood out for me.

Someone should tell the Tallow lads not to bother showing up in Walsh Park so in two weeks time.

By the sounds of it you'll be seeing some of them before I will, you can pass on that message for me.

All smartness aside, there will be a divide in class, and Ballygunner will win at a canter.

I dunno about the rest of ye, but I thought the carry on in the game was disgraceful. I'm not naive, I do hurl, I know what goes on off the ball, but it looked to me as if they'd more interest in beating the sh*t out of each other than hurling at times in the game, some really petty squabbles turning into players, mentors and subs getting involved! Reall bad stuff now in that regard. I'd also agree it would appear harsh that Nevin was the only one sent off.

I particularly didn't like the second squabble which broke out in the Ballygunner full back line. There is no way DLS forwards would have been looking to sort out the Ballygunner backs, so I am presuming the latter were looking to get a rise out of Mullane similar to what they did in 2009.

Also, that tunnel in Walsh Park is dangerous and should be replaced. Two lads can't pass comfortably in it, and it is often the cause of rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Heard Mullane cud be in deep trouble over yesterday lads. Apparently an irish examiner photographer got a pic of him strikin a Bg player in tunnel at half time. Serious stuff.

Just read James O Connor of Lismore was in charge of the Carrigtwohill team that won the Cork championship yesterday, didnt know he was. Is that Jockser that was on the Wd team a few years back? Delighted for him.

Would it be worse than a normal month for striking sort of stuff?

I particularly didn't like the second squabble which broke out in the Ballygunner full back line. There is no way DLS forwards would have been looking to sort out the Ballygunner backs, so I am presuming the latter were looking to get a rise out of Mullane similar to what they did in 2009.

Also, that tunnel in Walsh Park is dangerous and should be replaced. Two lads can't pass comfortably in it, and it is often the cause of rows.

I remember 2009. I lost a lot of respect for a paticular individual that day, virtually getting Mullane sent off (though he deserved to go for striking all the same). Same lad is pucking sliotars at umpires these days, so I haven't really seen anything to say it wasn't justified.

It was to be fair a big suprise that they beat Lismore. They were emphatically beaten by Ballygunner in the group stages. I fear for them in the final I really do.

I think you've been too generous to some of those you've mentioned, and indeed too harsh on Pratt and Sheehan in a way, as both are 19 and both hit a fine score each yesterday.

I have great time for Evan Sheehan. I have watched him from under 12 up and think he is a good player, but there is some who would like to be considered an expert in hurling that dont rate him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would it be worse than a normal month for striking sort of stuff?

Yeah worse than that, we'd be talking assault even.

I have great time for Evan Sheehan. I have watched him from under 12 up and think he is a good player, but there is some who would like to be considered an expert in hurling that dont rate him at all.

Wasn't at the Lismore game, but heard he scored four points. Fair goin for a 19 year old. I would have thought he was quite a good hurler, just a bit unreliable maybe.
    Yeah worse than that, we'd be talking assault even.

Are there actual photos in the Examiner or is this just something that is being claimed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Deise_Davy wrote: »

That is some BS statement. Everyone knows it was Mullane who started the row at the goal, the same as he started the row in the tunnel and the one in 2009. It's time he grew up at this stage and stopped these incidents ruining what has otherwise been a great career.
    How exactly does "everyone" know this?

Mega Chin wrote: »
    How exactly does "everyone" know this?

Agree with you here. In 2009 for definite he was 'professionally fouled' (which in other sports would mean a red card or ten minutes in the sin bin). Then the third man came in and hit him. Then Mullane reacted. He very much so didn't start it in that instance.

I dunno what happened over near the tunnel or between the Ballygunner full backline and Mullane so I can't really say much more.

But I think it would be important to note that both sides were involved in ugly scenes, proper punches being thrown, thankfully nobody was that badly injured, but it was very unsavoury and they should be ashamed of themselves really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Anyone at the Tourin Capaquin game? Junior 2 years ago and now on the cusp of senior, fair play to them

No but what a remarkable achievement for them. They are one of the smallest clubs in the county shur they arent even considered a parish. They have no primary school to draw from. kids from the area go to either Cappoquin & Lismore and they run the risk of losing players who show potential to these clubs. They lost Paul Murray to cappoquin a few years back he was a rising star at the time and that must have made sundays win very sweet for them. Also when they won the junior 2 years ago they were assisted by Glen Rovers/Mount Mellarey and won the intermediate yesterday all on their own. Hats off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I heard Michael Ryan has given the best interview for the job so far, supposedly he has impressed the selection Committee the most and his backroom team consist's of Nicky Cashin and Pat Flanagan who is originally mount sion living in kerry last few years. Pat is a physical coach an has been workin with kerry senior footballer's for the last few years,So we'l have to wait an see who else gets interviewed...

good luck to him if he wants to drive up and down from Tralee 3/4 times a week

whats the story with Jason Ryan hes in then hes out now he seems to be in again? Wexford were supposed to make an announcement on his future last week never materialised

Seems to me no one actually knows whats going on and everyone is just 2nd guessing about whos in the frame

Wasn't at the Lismore game, but heard he scored four points. Fair goin for a 19 year old. I would have thought he was quite a good hurler, just a bit unreliable maybe.

Are there actual photos in the Examiner or is this just something that is being claimed?

There is one photo of john Mullane been held back by a few players. I am sure there is plenty of stories doing the rounds as to what was caught on Camera and what was not.

good luck to him if he wants to drive up and down from Tralee 3/4 times a week

whats the story with Jason Ryan hes in then hes out now he seems to be in again? Wexford were supposed to make an announcement on his future last week never materialised

Seems to me no one actually knows whats going on and everyone is just 2nd guessing about whos in the frame

It's clear there is only two candidates in reality. Michael Ryan and Jason Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's clear there is only two candidates in reality. Michael Ryan and Jason Ryan.

Will the players respect Michael Ryan ???.

He was part of the management team that was booted out by the players in 2008.

I fear with Ryan and Nicky Cashin we will be back to the Justin Mccarthy era

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will the players respect Michael Ryan ???.

He was part of the management team that was booted out by the players in 2008.

I fear with Ryan and Nicky Cashin we will be back to the Justin Mccarthy era

I dunno. Most of the problems seem to have been with McCarthy himself. The man management side in particular seems to have been the problem. I dunno that players despise McCarthy either the way people would have you believe. I've no doubt that whatever candidate is selected will try and implement there own ideas. I do get where you're coming from though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

There is one photo of john Mullane been held back by a few players. I am sure there is plenty of stories doing the rounds as to what was caught on Camera and what was not.

Where does one find said photo?

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Where does one find said photo?

I'd also like to know this. There is nothing about the weekends games on the examiner website, I presume there was in the paper though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement