Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured A/R/T Boardsies Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Found out earlier this week why I've been having so much trouble lately - I'm pretty anaemic (hemoglobin just under 10 when normal is 12-16, and low ferritin too - single figures). Started taking iron supplements pretty much straight away, and tried a very short test run yesterday. This is going to be a very slow build back into things, after running for 10-15 minutes it felt like there was someone sitting on my chest yesterday. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Found out earlier this week why I've been having so much trouble lately - I'm pretty anaemic (hemoglobin just under 10 when normal is 12-16, and low ferritin too - single figures). Started taking iron supplements pretty much straight away, and tried a very short test run yesterday. This is going to be a very slow build back into things, after running for 10-15 minutes it felt like there was someone sitting on my chest yesterday. :eek:

It's good to at least have a cause and clear plan of action. It looks like the last few weeks have been frustrating. Getting back into action takes a bit of time ... as I am discovering. You're gonna really enjoy that bike when you 100% again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

PDCAT wrote: »
    Great to have this tread. Don't feel like i'm alone.

Im training for Dublin Marathon (first marathon), doing Hal Higdon Novice 1 training plan. All was going well until last weekend during half marathon. Felt a pain in my ankle about 5/6 miles into the run. Kept running and forgot about it. About five minutes after i finished, i couldn't walk on it. Hobbled up to my car in despair, worried for Dublin.

Have not ran since half marathon, missed one full week for training including my 18 mile LSR tomorrow. All week, i have tried to rest it when i can, put ice on it, have been wearing compression socks all week (in bed aswell) and have been taking as much Nurofen as i am allowed to.

Has gotten alot better since last Sunday, i can walk on it now, but still tender. Feel like i'm a long way from running on it.

Have a physio appointment tomorrow morning. Only took up running 18 months ago and can't believe, how frustrating this has me.

If i miss another week, maybe Dublin won't happen for me. Have already been looking up foreign marathons in November/December in case the worst happens.

Really sorry to hear that PDCAT, hope the physio has some good news for you today. If not just try to remember that there will always be another race. You will get better! There are other marathons in Ireland in November and December- Sixmilebridge and Clonakilty so all is not lost. Fingers crossed for DCM though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

Bally8 wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that PDCAT, hope the physio has some good news for you today. If not just try to remember that there will always be another race. You will get better! There are other marathons in Ireland in November and December- Sixmilebridge and Clonakilty so all is not lost. Fingers crossed for DCM though.

is there one in de bridge,and what date?

is there one in de bridge,and what date?

Yip the Eddie Murphy memorial marathon and ultra is on in SMB on the 20th November. It's a 1 mile lap course. Entry on run ireland. There is a thread about it in the events sub forum- sorry I don't know how to do a link to it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

hiya all fellow cripples! :D I'm still sitting on that couch with you

The X rays showed nothing, but the GP said we cannot exclude a stress fracture completely because some only show on MRI. He recommended 2 weeks of COMPLETE rest (what's that word? ;)) and will see from there. I'd be quite happy to skip the MRI, seeing that it costs about 250 euros with VHI.
    Another scenario is plantar fasciitis which I hope it isn't as it seems to take ages to resolve.

PDCAT, I feel sorry for you. You build up so much for the first marathon, it's really upsetting to have to cancel it at the last minute. But.... may be it's best to wait another year than risk a long term injury

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That's low enough for your haemoglobin to drop too, you'd be seeing large increase in heart rate as the body tries to compensate. I went from 15 down to 11, cause I'd too much iron and had to give a pint of blood per week for 10 weeks. My heart rate was very high, even when running at slowish pace as a result. Hope the iron supplement works and it brings the levels back up.

One step forward ...... I felt pretty good after taking Sunday off. Monday I ran 6 miles in the morning and at night I joined up with a group from a running store near work for their 3-4 miles gentle pace. Only one person showed up, a guy I know so I was persuaded to join him for part of his 8 miler. I bailed at around 5 .... but too late. I work up Tuesday ...and the hip was in pain again. Coming back is tough ...... I was really hoping that by October I would ready to resume training but it seems unlikely. Time to see a new physio ?

I've bought compression short with the hope that they might stabilize my hip and butt. Won't do too much for my running "street cred" !

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

Hope the injuries are improving well. I am training for DCM this year and have a history of knee problems (most notably from '07 when i last trained for DCM and had to pull out just before).

I have been finding lately that i am getting alot of pins and needles (incl knee locking occassionally) in the days after a LSR, has anyone had any experience of this?

Not sure if its a bad sign, really bad sign or sign i need to take a break from training and get it checked out

Hi all,

Hope the injuries are improving well. I am training for DCM this year and have a history of knee problems (most notably from '07 when i last trained for DCM and had to pull out just before).

I have been finding lately that i am getting alot of pins and needles (incl knee locking occassionally) in the days after a LSR, has anyone had any experience of this?

Not sure if its a bad sign, really bad sign or sign i need to take a break from training and get it checked out

^^^
    This

I think everyone would say - especially if you've had problems before - go see a pro ... physio, chiro and get the problem checked out. Do it now ... you've already put in a lot of time and energy into training. Don't blow it now by allowing a problem fester. Good luck.

• Advertisement

**Rant alert**

....two steps back.

Took yesterday off running as I am trying not to run three consecutive days. Leaving the gym yesterday after a swim, the hip started to act up a little. Woke up this morning, set out to do a few miles. Broke down within 50 yards of the house. Two attempts later I had to abandon the run. Hip is now very sore - and I seem to crocked ....again.

I'm more than three months into this problem/set of problems and on my fourth attempt at a comeback. I'm not sure now much less I can really do - I'm already almost 10lbs over race weight, and my fitness level is pretty shocking.

Maybe the hip will settle down but ...... I am beginning to question the recovery. Boston is six months away ... at this stage I am really questioning if I could be back to where I was three months ago by then. If this is not possible than do I have the motivation to get back running with winter coming ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    **Rant alert**

....two steps back.

Took yesterday off running as I am trying not to run three consecutive days. Leaving the gym yesterday after a swim, the hip started to act up a little. Woke up this morning, set out to do a few miles. Broke down within 50 yards of the house. Two attempts later I had to abandon the run. Hip is now very sore - and I seem to crocked ....again.

I'm more than three months into this problem/set of problems and on my fourth attempt at a comeback. I'm not sure now much less I can really do - I'm already almost 10lbs over race weight, and my fitness level is pretty shocking.

Maybe the hip will settle down but ...... I am beginning to question the recovery. Boston is six months away ... at this stage I am really questioning if I could be back to where I was three months ago by then. If this is not possible than do I have the motivation to get back running with winter coming ?

Ah crap, that's awful pgmcpq. I dont have any words of wisedom for you unfortunately. All I can say is that I've been there and sometimes it feels like you will never recover from this. Thing is you WILL recover, keep focused, keep doing whatever your physio says. 6 months is a long time. Keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Still broke up!!

Been easing back very very slowly but still have pain down left knee,been using wavvin pipe to roll out my leg muscles daily,feeling plenty of tight spots and working them.
    Just yesterday though i felt what was like a pressure feeling in my lower left leg,could not run on after 1.5 mile,went tingly as well.......

Have physio next week plus a GP check up so going to run that by both as it has happened a couple of times recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Great to catch up on this thread lads. Training for DCM myself and training has been going great all year and times improving no end. After 1/2 marathon was set for a 3:45 attempt at Marathon.

That was until last Wednesday. Had to stop 5 miles into 11 mile run with pain on outside of knee. Have managed a few failed attempts to run since then coupled with 4 physio sessions on glutes and IT band.

Have been resting since Monday when I had to stop after 3 miles but hoping to test it out this evening and get some sort of long run in at the weekend.

Driving myself batty with thoughts that I may not be able to make the Marathon now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well ran today and yesterday and then had sports massage. Foot was a bit sore and masseur found out why. My talus bone was too tight into the bones of my foot (i'm parphrasing here) and she cracked it out.

Its a little painful now, which is the norm after i get a massage and we'll see how it is in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Unfortunely I back here again. Exact same achilles issue from a couple of weeks ago. I think it may be due to my left calf being very tight due to an old injury. Lots of icing over the weekend and when its cleared up I'll have to find some stretching routines for the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

gerard65 wrote: »
    Unfortunely I back here again. Exact same achilles issue from a couple of weeks ago. I think it may be due to my left calf being very tight due to an old injury. Lots of icing over the weekend and when its cleared up I'll have to find some stretching routines for the calf.

God Gerard, between the two of us we couldn't enter a three legged race.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bad news today.pins and needles plus foot slapping after 2 mile ish have resulted in me being referred for an MRI to determine the cause..........
    Fairly devasted tbh..........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

dahat wrote: »
    Bad news today.pins and needles plus foot slapping after 2 mile ish have resulted in me being referred for an MRI to determine the cause..........
    Fairly devasted tbh..........:mad:

Hopefully, nothing serious
    Sorry to hear about everyone who is still in bad shape and has to abandon training. I'm still off work for another week, bored silly at this stage. And reading horror stories about plantar fasciitis taking up to 2 years to recover doesn't help. :eek:

2 friends of mine are 3rd year students in acupuncture, they used me as their (very willing) guinea pig, I must say their needles did wonders. I since found out that some physio recommend acupuncture so it's worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Apologies in advance - this is also posted in the New York Marathon thread.

I'm doing New York in 4 weeks but my training has collapsed and I'm panicking a bit:eek:

It was all going grand until the Dublin Half - my LSRs were up to the 17/18 miles mark and I was running 3 or 4 evenings mid-week. But on the Dublin half (on 17th September) I strained my achilles and it's only really starting to feel right now. I ran 11 miles on Sunday with no problems. But this week I got a bad head cold / man flu and so again I've done f all running.

If I can shake off this cold my plan is to do an LSR at the weekend of 16/18 miles or so. Then next weekend do 20 / 21 miles. My question is about tapering - is that too long a run to be doing with only 3 weeks to the marathon? How long before the marathon should I be starting to taper?
    I guess I'm starting to reassure myself that even though my training has been start/stop, I've probably done enough to finish ok, just not in as good a time as I was hoping. Was hoping for 3.30 / 3.40 but now aiming for 3.59

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

daveboy01 wrote: »

I'm doing New York in 4 weeks but my training has collapsed and I'm panicking a bit:eek:

It was all going grand until the Dublin Half - my LSRs were up to the 17/18 miles mark and I was running 3 or 4 evenings mid-week. But on the Dublin half (on 17th September) I strained my achilles and it's only really starting to feel right now. I ran 11 miles on Sunday with no problems. But this week I got a bad head cold / man flu and so again I've done f all running.

If I can shake off this cold my plan is to do an LSR at the weekend of 16/18 miles or so. Then next weekend do 20 / 21 miles. My question is about tapering - is that too long a run to be doing with only 3 weeks to the marathon? How long before the marathon should I be starting to taper?
    I guess I'm starting to reassure myself that even though my training has been start/stop, I've probably done enough to finish ok, just not in as good a time as I was hoping. Was hoping for 3.30 / 3.40 but now aiming for 3.59

Most people will do their longest run i.e. 20 miles 3 weeks before the marathon and then begin their taper after that. If you have missed a couple of weeks though your body will be more rested than others so it would be possible to only have a 2 week taper.

I guess it is up to the individual themselves which they want to do and how confident they are in the training they have done. Important to not try and cram in training at the last minute though either.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Most people will do their longest run i.e. 20 miles 3 weeks before the marathon and then begin their taper after that. If you have missed a couple of weeks though your body will be more rested than others so it would be possible to only have a 2 week taper.

I guess it is up to the individual themselves which they want to do and how confident they are in the training they have done. Important to not try and cram in training at the last minute though either.

Great, thanks for the advice. Once I shake off this cold I'll get back on track and hopefully my achilles will stay quiet :)

daveboy01 wrote: »

Rule of thumb is if the cold symptoms are above the neck - keep running (below the neck stop). So if this is a head cold then try to get some running in - even a few miles will keep you ticking over while the cold clears up - especially if you've already missed a few weeks. Then if your training had been good before you should be ok. Resist - at all costs - the temptation to try to stuff missed training into your planned taper. Some people can get away with shorter tapers but unless you have some experience with how you react to this I would not not try it. Turning up at the start line fatigued is a sure way to blow your race.

Still only at the stage of doing about 20 minutes at a time, about 3 times a week. I'm not a patient woman and this recovery is slow :(

Still only at the stage of doing about 20 minutes at a time, about 3 times a week. I'm not a patient woman and this recovery is slow :(

Yup, it is frustrating. But at least you've got a clear idea of what is wrong and it is fixable. Have you been given a time frame for when you can return ?

Recovery is tough. There's a lot of good info on training, nutrition, gadgets, etc but sod all on what to expect coming back from injury/illness.

I'm amazed at how much fitness I have lost. Runs that were a gentle jog for me a few months ago now feel like a life and death struggle. After my clubmates dropped me 2 miles into the weekend run ( I am now looking at a new club which is better organized and might have better support - I was seriously p...ed that no one would try to pick up a clearly struggling runner.) I had a major frustration meltdown. So for what it is worth - I feel your pain. Based on my limited experience (last two months!) what you are going through is normal - and yes - it sucks.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yup, it is frustrating. But at least you've got a clear idea of what is wrong and it is fixable. Have you been given a time frame for when you can return ?
    Doctor wasn't very helpful after she told me what was wrong - just said "take iron and come back in 2 months", and when I asked about possible causes she said "diet, heavy periods and training too much". I love my red meat, I've not been able to go over 30mpw for more than a week at a time in a very long time and it's not the other one...

Doctor wasn't very helpful after she told me what was wrong - just said "take iron and come back in 2 months", and when I asked about possible causes she said "diet, heavy periods and training too much". I love my red meat, I've not been able to go over 30mpw for more than a week at a time in a very long time and it's not the other one...

The doc has got google too, I guess :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I wouldnt be too impressed with this. Is the problem that you are not able to absorb the iron from your diet or is it that you aree losing blood discreetly from another source, in addition to menstruation?
    Two months seems a long time to check back, in case it is the first scenario, i would have thought.

At least it isnt injury as such and after you get sorted you will be back in action. Moves over on the bench..... hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Just wondering if zuppymonster damage has been rectified yet? IS the honneymommy back in action yet?

I walked for 45 minutes twice this week , yay :D
    Can jog on downhills for about 20-30 seconds as well. I can smell a comeback getting closer.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt be too impressed with this. Is the problem that you are not able to absorb the iron from your diet or is it that you aree losing blood discreetly from another source, in addition to menstruation?
    Two months seems a long time to check back, in case it is the first scenario, i would have thought.

At least it isnt injury as such and after you get sorted you will be back in action. Moves over on the bench..... hang in there.

Would it be worth getting a 2nd opinion if things don't start improving soon?

Advertisement