Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured A/R/T Boardsies Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

God Vagga thats not good, fingers crossed for you at the physio tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Reckon i have 2/3 knocks all hittin gtogether after a hard run recently.....
    Off the road a week now and still tender on my left knee,physio app tuesday hopefully,first time,hopefully i wont lose a leg....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Well.... I ran today. After six weeks, five slow,ugly, sweaty, miles the heart rate was stratospheric .... but I did run ... in horrible muggy conditions with rain .... .... but I ran. Not 100% and the whole left leg seems was a bit sore once I stopped. Inching to the edge of the bench but still need to be patient. But, I ran.

Great that you got out for a run pgmcpq, I hope this week will bring more progress for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to hear that .... but really it is two steps forward, maybe one back. Your last log entries looked pretty positive given what you've been through. It is probably not a surprise to pick up a few niggles when you start up again and the body readjusts. Hopefully physio will sort it out.

Yep, I think I over-reacted last week :o Things improved as the week went on. Stretching like mad, which seems to be helping too.

Hopefully things will be looking up this week, for everyone on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

No major problem with knee, just a stubborn issue which wont go away..

Another week off all running, which may well drive me and and those around me utterly crazy :eek: - but we have a plan in place as to what to do, which makes me feel better about whole thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Vagga, Check out Mulligan taping for kneecaps on youtube. If you have tracking isues with your knee and it is a bit irritated from hard training , it might be enough to just guide it a bit while recovering and getting back running.
    I use it with my patients and it can be fab.

Who asked about Achilles? I have had high power laser in the laser centre/clinic on Hume street. I have to say that without it I would not have been able to stay running. With the partial tear that I have now , I would be off for about 6-10 months or more. I am going for my second dose Friday.
    Physio low power laser doesnt seem to be strong enough used alone unless you can have a lot of it regularly and I think ultrasound and manual frictions strengthening/stretching/ and running technique corrections+/- insoles if required can be of greater value. I cant comment on needling as I dont do it yet. Good luck.
    You will know if you have ruptured it as you will not be able to walk .:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have not run at all this week and its getting worse with the more rest I give it! I have Chondromalacia patellae [runners knee] in left knee.

Thats what I thought it was alright from what you were describing. Like hottotrot says check out taping techniques on youtube. I found the taping very uncomfortable though, I got a jumpers knee strap
    and wear that when mine starts playing up. I can run on mine now though, it plays up occasionally but when I initially got it 2 years ago I was probably off for about 5 or 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ok, I'm past the denial stage, I am injured - there I said it.
    Tricky little one between lower shin and top of the foot, the longus flexor painintharseious I think, anyway it's runable but I know I'm not doing it any favours, so it's ice and ibu and I picked up a novagrip elasticated tubular bandage to compress it - these are a must for every kit bag I think and maybe a cheap alternative to pricey compression socks @ €2.99 each? So it's biking for me and like a typical runner will give it another try on Weds :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Functional Training have an offer up on Rate My Area for Dry Needling is any of yee are looking to try it you get it at a good price with this.

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/deals/142

good spot - thanks RQ!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I need sympathy :):(

Its the 8 week anniversary since I could last train and after 6 sessions with physios and 1 deep tissue massage I am actually worse than better! :)

I am doing a daily core workout each day since last week to see if I can get some joy with this but I am now in a lot of pain around my right hip and have a tightness at the base of neck! :) Weird or what.
    Stretching seems to be good but within a few hours again the tightness and pain is back.

Going from doing a lot of KM on run and bike to zero is a bit frustrating at this stage.

But when 2 different physios cant fix me then what the hell can! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Have not run at all this week and its getting worse with the more rest I give it! I have Chondromalacia patellae [runners knee] in left knee.

I was ordered total rest with one or two low impact things allowed, so did gym on Tuesday before work and very light swimming Thursday before work.

After very light swimming session knee was sore for ages.

Strolling around Stephens Green killing time on Friday morning it started killing me out of blue.

Walking up stairs to my seats at [terrible] upper tier at match yesterday it was agony. Where I walk up a couple of flights to stairs at work to get to my desk and use the stairs at work all the time, with zero problem.

Physio appointment at 8am tomorrow and its a cast of WTF?

I'm in the same boat as you, patellar tendonitis in my left knee, my fourth dose in 2 years!:eek:Just in the middle of my DCM training so its a real pain. Just doing the key things, Ice every 2 hours, strengthening exercises, stretching and massaging the tendon itself. And a few anti-inflammatories thrown in to speed things up! I have found that a few days off can make a huge difference and a missed week in a marathon training schedule isn't that big of a deal, its just a mental thing i.e. Oh my god I'm missing training, my marathon is ruined!! At least I'm not alone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

yop wrote: »
    I need sympathy :):(

Its the 8 week anniversary since I could last train and after 6 sessions with physios and 1 deep tissue massage I am actually worse than better! :)

I am doing a daily core workout each day since last week to see if I can get some joy with this but I am now in a lot of pain around my right hip and have a tightness at the base of neck! :) Weird or what.
    Stretching seems to be good but within a few hours again the tightness and pain is back.

Going from doing a lot of KM on run and bike to zero is a bit frustrating at this stage.

But when 2 different physios cant fix me then what the hell can! :)

You have my sympathy (for the little it is worth). I'm trying to get back on the road again (week 7) and having similar issues with my left hip. It is the leg that I had physio on but seems to be different to the original injury. I am thinking sciatica and starting a stretching regime to try to resolve this. In fairness to the PTs they worked on the symptoms I described. The hip/leg issue seems to have developed as I have tried to resume running.

Any chance your core work out is aggravating the problem ? What did the PT say last time ?

Keep the spirits up. Getting discouraged will not help the head or body (this is for me as much as you).

Have not run at all this week and its getting worse with the more rest I give it!

Strange - I am having a similar issue. In addition to all my other problems my old knee has come back in earnest despite having done no training for 5 weeks and only using a bike for a week after that. It is a chronic but manageable problem usually ... cannot understand why has it flared up after six weeks of rest :confused:.
    I got a jumpers knee strap
    and wear that when mine starts playing up. I can run on mine now though, it plays up occasionally but when I initially got it 2 years ago I was probably off for about 5 or 6 weeks.

I have one of these knocking around somewhere I must dig it out again. Though I was past all that.:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You have my sympathy (for the little it is worth). I'm trying to get back on the road again (week 7) and having similar issues with my left hip. It is the leg that I had physio on but seems to be different to the original injury. I am thinking sciatica and starting a stretching regime to try to resolve this. In fairness to the PTs they worked on the symptoms I described. The hip/leg issue seems to have developed as I have tried to resume running.

Any chance your core work out is aggravating the problem ? What did the PT say last time ?

Keep the spirits up. Getting discouraged will not help the head or body (this is for me as much as you).

I am following the sets of stretches and core work setup by the 2 physios :) Glute and hip stretches but why its now in my neck is beyond me! :) Well its all probably lower back related.

Major sympathy Yop, for whats its worth.

If you suspect there might be a sciatica element , be careful stretching around your hip in case you are pulling on the nerve roots.

Major sympathy Yop, for whats its worth.

If you suspect there might be a sciatica element , be careful stretching around your hip in case you are pulling on the nerve roots.

Thats something I never thought of!!! How would I know that I have sciatica?

Its a pain in the head (or the hips! :) ) but it will take time ;)

Ordered myself one of those knee straps off Physio Room. I have had this issue twice now, so it will be one of these things to come back over and over again it seems - so makes sense to get something for it.

Also, want to get back out training before I go mad :eek:

40 mins on cross trainer with no pain at all last night - I must have looked like a right nutjob almost punching the air after a slow enough session on a cross trainer in the gym :P

I was only doing intervals [2 mins fast, 1 min slow], with next to no resistance, so Im not ready for a 20 mile run just yet, but its good news for the first time in weeks, and I will take that :cool:

I will do a very slow 30 min run Saturday morning I think - and see how we are fixed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

I could be off de bench..after 4 weeks of rest I went for a 2 mile run on wednesday and 3 miles last night..hamstring is still niggly..gonna give a rest this evening and chance a few more miles tomor..serious doubts ill make dublin but have my eyes on the clonakilty..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Fingers crossed for everyone trying to make their comebacks.

Im still on the bench with an occasional pass:). Its six weeks since I got injured and Im at the stage now where Im allowed to run 20 minutes three times a week. Its not much but its great for my sanity. I would love to be doing more but I have to have patience and allow my arch to heal. Its still sore most days and I have a long road ahead until its fully right.

I've had long term injuries for a couple months a year over the last 3 years but this time I am doing much more with my time instead of slowly going mad and getting fatter from not running. I have taken up cycling and love it, swimming too and am out walking for nearly an hour every day. I think this is whats keeping me sane.

Still I just want to run....I get very sad when I see all the races I planned pass by:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm not fixed but I am less broken. I've even started entering stuff. Cocky or foolish?

Been for 2 runs now [3 miles and 5 miles] and I think we seem fixed here - woot :)

A good physio is worth more than anything, as is the realization you should do what they ask you to do forever [not randomly stopping when you think you are better!] :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ran the National Half y'day, knew it the back of my mind it was a high risk strategy - crocked shortly after 11k and a long trudge back followed - lesson learnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

great idea for a thread Bally8! Hope the injury is sorted!

Im creeping back to Boards even though I am half a world away from ye. In melbourne, 5weeks out from melbourne marathon, hadnt missed a run in the last 12.5 weeks of training and then it went a little pear shaped. Not injured as such, but may be anaemic. went to donate in january but levels were too low, so couldnt donate. the lab lost my sample they were going to use to confirm anaemic, so i kinda forgot about it. went to donate 2weeks ago and haemoglobin levels were about 15% lower than they were in january. got referral for doc, waiting on results.

I didnt think I was anaemic but since then have kinda listened to my body more and feel fairly brutal. had noticed my times were getting slower the last few months, but just thought my training wasn't dedicated enough. feeling tired and drained alot, even though I eat relatively healthy. apparently if anaemic for a time, you can just get used to the symptoms so they aren't as obvious anymore...doc appt. tomorrow.

missed my long run at the weekend, hoping that I can notch up the miles again pronto now. apparently u can get an iron injection if levels low enough, I may inquire about that......cant explain it to non-runner friends how crap it feels to not be able run. feel like a slob and have lost my super-powers (not really that super but what makes me feel best about myself).

Keep the head up woman ! Think of your anaemia as enforced taper to rest for the training before the next and final leg of your journey.
    Fingers crossed the cause is minor.

rest up . the legs will thank you for it .

Hunny monster I am so thrilled that you are getting well enough to consider parting with entry fees. Things are looking up. What have you got in mind for a relaunch?

Vagga. Great stuff. Dont let it get so bad next time you have a niggle and you may get away with just nodding at us here on the bench.

I can walk 10 minutes reasonably briskly without a limp now. Whoohoo. think I might try a mile or two walk tomorrow. Need to train daughter in . she is going to start running with me when I am up to a 4 minute walk : 1 minute run scenario.

Bally8 wrote: »
    I've had long term injuries for a couple months a year over the last 3 years....

Readng this thread bring up something I have been wondering about. This is the second time I have injured myself before a autumn marathon (last year it was Dublin). I keep wondering if there is something I missed both times that would have tipped me off. So while we are stuck here on the bench my question to all is .... if you get injured regularly looking back is there a common factor to your injury, to your training before injury ? Can you tell the difference between "niggle" and injury-on-the-way ?

For me it seems to follow shortly after 5k races ... and seems to happen before an autumn marathon. This injury in particular got me completely by suprise. With hindsight I should have stopped as soon as I felt the strain but if I did that I'd end up missing half my training !
    Bally8 wrote: »
    I get very sad when I see all the races I planned pass by
    *Sigh* ... me too !

Ordered myself one of those knee straps off Physio Room. I have had this issue twice now, so it will be one of these things to come back over and over again it seems - so makes sense to get something for it.
    Ran with this new knee brace tonight - result was zero knee pain for the first time in over a month.

Not getting carried away, still going to take my time coming back - but very much over the moon! Thanks everyone for the help and support here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I've finally accepted that I'm joining this thread for the forseeable future.

I have an as-yet undiagnosed foot injury. It seems to have started with a small knock on the top of my foot, which created a tiny bruise, which niggled and niggled and eventually turned into a lot of inflammation and pain. I'm seeing a physio tonight - at the moment I can't run at all. I went to a spinning class on Sunday which was fine but nothing since and I'm going crazy - I even had a dream I was racing last night and I was feeling great :rolleyes:

I'm supposed to be doing the Dublin Half Marathon next week. A small part of me still hopes I make it - I'll be gutted if I don't. I should know tonight.

Here's hoping we all make a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Hi

I know the charter says don't discuss injuries. I am not asking for advice or treatment. I went to my GP for that and I trust his judgement, follow his advice and take my medication.
    I just want to hear from people who injured themselves in the past while running and were they able to run again (after 2, 6, 10 weeks, a few months, a year...)? Did you find what caused your injury and were able to adjust your running to avoid further injury? Did you find that stopping helped you become a better runner?

I injured my foot last Sunday, won't give the details, but it was quite painful and I'm still limping. I gave up any hope of running the semi marathon in Dublin next Saturday. At first, I was gutted, but I am determined to run again and I want to use that time to reflect on what caused the injury in the first place. And why do I love running so much (I don't consider myself a serious runner in that I don't speak "gait, pronation, etc...". I just run for the sheer pleasure of it), what does it bring to my life, do people experience the same and feel almost deperate when they are forced to stop?

Advertisement