Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured A/R/T Boardsies Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just wondering if zuppymonster damage has been rectified yet? IS the honneymommy back in action yet?

She sure is. She ran a marathon last weekend:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Doctor wasn't very helpful after she told me what was wrong - just said "take iron and come back in 2 months", and when I asked about possible causes she said "diet, heavy periods and training too much". I love my red meat, I've not been able to go over 30mpw for more than a week at a time in a very long time and it's not the other one...

I would get it checked sooner than that to make sure the iron is having an effect. I think 2-4 weeks is the usual for the first blood check.
    Might be worth discussing with your doctor.

Great news about HunnyMummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Im doing this.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

I have to take a week of due to a recurring disc injury.

Domestic twisting accident has re- ruptured a problem disc in my lower back.

How does one train to rejoin where they left off and still make up for the missing week?

I know this schedule is small fries to most of you , but it is taking every bit of effort I have . I am horribly disappointed I have to give a week up.

I am on week 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Im doing this.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

I have to take a week of due to a recurring disc injury.

Domestic twisting accident has re- ruptured a problem disc in my lower back.

How does one train to rejoin where they left off and still make up for the missing week?

I know this schedule is small fries to most of you , but it is taking every bit of effort I have . I am horribly disappointed I have to give a week up.

I am on week 3.

The good news is that loosing one week will not make a hugh difference to your training. Do not try to "make up" the week. Avoiding injury is much more important than a few miles. The key is to return to training carefully. I'd suggest repeating the week that you last completed and then ramp up slowly .... so e.g: Let's say you just completed week 2 and are missing week 3 then try something like :
    Week 4: Repeat week2
    Week 5: Do week 4
    Week 6: Week 6

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Well it looks like DCM 2011 could be all over for me....

Couple of weeks back my right foot swelled up after my weekend LSR, so I took the following week off and gave it the R.I.C.E. treatment. Started back running last week and all was going well until today.

Was out doing a 35K LSR and around 28K - 29K it started to get painful again. My run turned into a limp and I gave up and walked the last 3K home. Took an ice bath and then R.I.C.E.'d it again all evening. Even putting weight on it at the moment is very sore.

I'd say I've at least a week resting before I can even think about trying to run again. Absolutely disgusted as I know my fitness and stamina have improved greatly since last year and I was looking forward to smashing my 2010 time!

Is it too close to DCM at this stage to miss possibly 1 - 2 weeks and then go for it on the day?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Is it too close to DCM at this stage to miss possibly 1 - 2 weeks and then go for it on the day?!?!?

Sorry you are in bother. I did very little running during the taper last year. Missed well over 2 weeks. I got to the startline and the finishline. Have you been to a physio?

RubyK wrote: »

Sorry you are in bother. I did very little running during the taper last year. Missed well over 2 weeks. I got to the startline and the finishline. Have you been to a physio?

Well the pain was worse when I woke up this morning. Ended up going to the swift clinic. Got an x-ray and feferred to an orthopaedic surgeon with a possible stress fracture. On crutches and all now! Looks like DCM definitely over for me now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well the pain was worse when I woke up this morning. Ended up going to the swift clinic. Got an x-ray and feferred to an orthopaedic surgeon with a possible stress fracture. On crutches and all now! Looks like DCM definitely over for me now :-(

Oh no, you must be gutted :(

But there will be other marathons. Get yourself better and focus on 2012. Mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm starting to drive myself throroughly nuts with inactivity :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Ouch :( that's really really bad luck. The only thing you can do is look toward the bigger long term picture which is ultimately more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yup, it is frustrating. But at least you've got a clear idea of what is wrong and it is fixable. Have you been given a time frame for when you can return ?

Recovery is tough. There's a lot of good info on training, nutrition, gadgets, etc but sod all on what to expect coming back from injury/illness.

I'm amazed at how much fitness I have lost. Runs that were a gentle jog for me a few months ago now feel like a life and death struggle. After my clubmates dropped me 2 miles into the weekend run ( I am now looking at a new club which is better organized and might have better support - I was seriously p...ed that no one would try to pick up a clearly struggling runner.) I had a major frustration meltdown. So for what it is worth - I feel your pain. Based on my limited experience (last two months!) what you are going through is normal - and yes - it sucks.

Glups... It's not very encouraging, is it. I had to stop running when pregnant (twice) but kept on walking and swimming, albeit at a much lesser pace. However, I found the return to training swift enough. This time, I've been sitting doing absolutely nothing for 3 weeks, and I'm only back to swimming tonight so let's hope it's not too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sorry to hear about all of those out of action, especially if you're signed up for the DCM.

Would recommend still going to Dublin on the day though if you've already booked hotels etc.

Got injured about a month before the 2009 DCM but went up as a spectator anyway - found it to be a thoroughly rewarding experience and it gave me massive motivation to get back fit and on the road.

From mavelling at the winners and elite runners right down to cheering on the fun runners a few hours later I found it to be a 'running-life' affirming afternoon.

Join me on the bench! I too suffered a stress fracture and because it wasn't diagnosed early enough I kept on walking (sorry, waddling) on it and ended up with not only the stress fracture but plantar fasciitis on both feet. So in a way, your excruciating pain could have been a blessing in disguise. It will take approx 6 weeks for your foot to heal, after then you'll need to see a physio to ensure that your posture, shoes, gait, bladheblah are good to avoid injuring again.
    I'm still at the baby steps stage, the fracture, which was small thank God, has healed, the plantar fasciitis is on the way to recovery. The physio reckons it will take at least 6 weeks before I can walk for long periods again (at the moment, a 15 min walk is still too much). Don't even know when I can go back to running, but he said I would definitively be able to again, which is very reassuring

Look forward to next year's marathons! ;)

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about all of those out of action, especially if you're signed up for the DCM.

Would recommend still going to Dublin on the day though if you've already booked hotels etc.

Got injured about a month before the 2009 DCM but went up as a spectator anyway - found it to be a thoroughly rewarding experience and it gave me massive motivation to get back fit and on the road.

From mavelling at the winners and elite runners right down to cheering on the fun runners a few hours later I found it to be a 'running-life' affirming afternoon.

I live in Dublin so I didn't have a hotel booked or anything, and if I have any mobility again I'll go into town and have a look. I had a physio booked for a massage the next day and everything! Have to cancel that mow too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Have a bit of a niggle myself. The left knee is giving me a bit of jip, mainly through a combination of me still being heavy and running on concrete and tarmac instead of just grass.

I'm thinking of easing off on the running completely until I get the weight down more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

5 weeks on from 70.3 Galway and my achilles is worse, if thats even possible.

Seeing a physio once a week.

He reckons that my left achilles is the size of his small finger, whereas my right (good) achilles is the size of his thumb.

I'm so fookin frustrated. I will return to the gym this week and concentrate on upper body and maybe see how a swim goes.

Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Have an assesement booked with Mike Davis for orthtics in December,earliest one he had.
    From google and that his name came up quite a bit,seems plenty people were more than happy with him.
    Will continue to roll,stretch and light running till that time.

Dahat, do you mind me asking, do you know what's wrong with your foot? I asked the physio about orthotics, he doesn't think I need them, but they are usually recommended for plantar fasciitis.

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Dahat, do you mind me asking, do you know what's wrong with your foot? I asked the physio about orthotics, he doesn't think I need them, but they are usually recommended for plantar fasciitis.

Over pronate plus all sorts of assosciated niggles from that.All started really from ITB injury,all just snowballed from there.
    Physio did try to get me too use her practise but at 300 for basically a plaster paris mould i did not think that to be enough,Mike Davis is supposed to more hands on and does them himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

hey all,

just to give some of you some hope, being out injured isint the end of the world and although you my miss a race, there will be others.

this year i was injured for 4months, but when recovered and after missing various goal races, i started back with runs of 4x 30 sec walk/runs & 6x 1min walk/runs etc....

well i pregressed from there and finish a marathon yeaterday....sometimes the road to recovery is long(or short) but dont stress about it, and dont rush back.

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    hey all,

just to give some of you some hope, being out injured isint the end of the world and although you my miss a race, there will be others.

this year i was injured for 4months, but when recovered and after missing various goal races, i started back with runs of 4x 30 sec walk/runs & 6x 1min walk/runs etc....

well i pregressed from there and finish a marathon yeaterday....sometimes the road to recovery is long(or short) but dont stress about it, and dont rush back.

... and what a marathon - congrats ! I wish I could have your off days !

Thanks for the encouragement. That's an amazing result off four months (?) work after four months out. I'm off to read your log from start to finish, but how did you feel when you first started the comeback ? At what stage did it start to feel 'normal' again ?

Well ... comeback #4 ended much as #1, #2 and #3 did - except this time my patience really did snap. So back to the drawing board. The medical industry that now follows my progress (GP/PT/chiro) have come up with a new theory - in short that the glute strain led to a hip displacement which has effected my gait. This explains why a) I am struggling to run at any pace b) why I am seem to limp after even a short walk and c) why I am having different muscle strains despite stretching religiously.
    So I am now on some heavy duty anti-inflamatories (the sort of stuff that would get me kicked out of athletic meets :eek:), just had my hip, back and knee xrayed and am back to start PT again tomorrow. Fingers cross that at least we may understand what is going on.

5 months, 29 days to Boston .....

Seanynova, thank you so much for your encouragments and congratulations on your marathon

pgmcpq, sorry to hear you are back again among us. I hope your insurance covers the cost of your Xrays, etc, because they add up fast. Good luck!

dahat wrote: »
    Physio did try to get me too use her practise but at 300 for basically a plaster paris mould i did not think that to be enough,Mike Davis is supposed to more hands on and does them himself

What happens with the plaster of Paris is that a "slipper" is made by wrapping your foot in plaster. Just before it hardens it is removed. This cast is then sent to the lab where it is filled with plaster powder. When it hardens there is an exact replica of your foot with hard skin , twists etc ...warts and all. the prescription that the physio has ordered for your biomechanics is then applied to the new plaster version of your foot and the thermoplastic is then applied to make the finshed orthotic.
    The beauty of this is it takes into account all the personal differences in your foot and not just an impression. Also it should be an ideal fit as it is an exact match. They keep the mould for 6 months in case you need other insoles made for different things. EG sport insoles would be different from regular ones etc.

What happens with the plaster of Paris is that a "slipper" is made by wrapping your foot in plaster. Just before it hardens it is removed. This cast is then sent to the lab where it is filled with plaster powder. When it hardens there is an exact replica of your foot with hard skin , twists etc ...warts and all. the prescription that the physio has ordered for your biomechanics is then applied to the new plaster version of your foot and the thermoplastic is then applied to make the finshed orthotic.
    The beauty of this is it takes into account all the personal differences in your foot and not just an impression. Also it should be an ideal fit as it is an exact match. They keep the mould for 6 months in case you need other insoles made for different things. EG sport insoles would be different from regular ones etc.

Thanks for the expo,seems alot better than what i thought but she did seem to be lacking about the whole process as she did not explain any of what you have....
    I will be getting them one way or another,Mike Davis seems well regarded and at 200 all is cheaper plus i am dealing with source rather than a sales person..

seanynova...... What injury did you have that kept you off for 4 months?
    I am allowed start with run 30secs/1 minute from next month but need some reassurance of when I might be able to get to decent mileage again. I have a partial rupture of achilles.

Still getting alot of trouble with ITB and other upper leg problems.
    Been using a pipe to roll them but seems to be getting nowhere fast.Having had 5 physio sessions i feel no better.
    Getting fitted for motion control shoes sat,hopefully these will help control biomechanical issues...

Will these help with ITB issues and other myofacial muscle problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

dahat wrote: »
    Still getting alot of trouble with ITB and other upper leg problems.
    Been using a pipe to roll them but seems to be getting nowhere fast.Having had 5 physio sessions i feel no better.
    Getting fitted for motion control shoes sat,hopefully these will help control biomechanical issues...

Will these help with ITB issues and other myofacial muscle problems?
    Do you feel the physio went deep enough? 5 sessions seems like a lot for no improvement.

So back to physio:

Physio: "We work on this for five or six weeks and see if there is any progress".
    Me: <gagging noises>

5 or 6 six more weeks .... for "progress" :confused::eek::(:mad::(:eek:confused:.

And yes ... my insurance coverage is exhausted !

And finally Mrs P had mishap with her car (tire left in the middle of the highway at night) and needs a car for work ... so I now have to walk everywhere on my dodgy hip ....!! Not feeling very lucky today.

Sometime you have to laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

So i have been avoiding writing this in the hope that it would go away. But Alas it is not to be. I have a serious pain in my heel anytime i run. I got this sorted in jul well i taught i did then i was running up the stairs to bed woke up and bang could barley walk. That was 2nd week in september

I tried dooing alot of stretching and massaging like the physio told me the last time but it does not seem to be working. What's really annoying me is that this is the fourth time this has happened and every time it does it is alot worse than before.

I have to go to the physio soon to try and get to the bottom of it.

Advertisement