Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Injured A/R/T Boardsies Support Thread

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Oh no.... my post seems to have dragged lots of people out of the wood work, I was hoping you were all busy out running.
    Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for us all:)
    Have tiny pain on inside of inner thigh, aka a really small [grade 1] groin strain/pull..

Poxy timing, I totally know it should be fine, and gone in a few days [or so], but this was to be my biggest KM week for Berlin, and it really is the worst time to get any kind of injury...

Bought good strapping for it, wearing now, and a huge box of ibuprofen - and will rediscover religion and say a few prayers :)

If it works for Katie Taylor..... I'd say give the prayers a shot. Have you an old maiden Aunt?;) they can usually get speedy novenas done.
    Although my aunt didn't do the trick for me this time:(

Now here's the advice I should have heeded myself..... Take it very, very easy, err on the side of caution, we're so close to Berlin, you don't want to find yourself on the sideline like me

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

This is my first time in here:( Am/was in the thick of training for DCM,all was going well,even have our 1st 20 miler under the belt.Then disaster struck.Last week,picked up a niggle behind my left knee,did a couple of runs on it(hindsight-mistake) and pulled up after 6 miles of 14 on Sunday.Got to see physio on wednesday,diagnosed Medial Head Gastrocnemius Strain.Had deep tissue massage and ultrasound (wouldnt opt for dry needling,have a thing for needles:eek:).Given plenty of drops and raises to do,heat before,ice after,and no running for a week at least.So there,thats that off my chest,phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hi all I'm back too :( (formerly known as Bally8)
    My achilles has been niggling recently so I eased back on the running for a while. I do a lot of cycling and some swimming so at least I've been able to keep active. After a couple weeks break I went back running and felt ok and managed to get back on track with my training for the Charleville Half Marathon. Heel drops, calf stretches, heel raises at every opportunity. Did the Castleconnell triathlon last weekend. Really pushed it in the run, quelle suprise- planter fasica injury back with a bang!! I've taken 4 days off completely and 3 slow miles today. Last year my planter fascia injury was treated while I continued to do very short slow runs as rest doesnt work in repairing it. Very annoyed its back as I really thought it was fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

After getting into the worst shape of my life from laziness and injuries, the past two months I've worked hard and I'm slowly getting back into shape. To cap it off today I ran the longest I've been able to manage in about 2 years with relatively little discomfort from any injuries. It was only 2.5 miles but god it felt good.

In addition over the last two months I've been doing spinning and other exercise like gym work etc and in doing so lost 11 pounds and counting but that doesn't come close to the feeling of getting out for that run today, something I've missed so much.

Its a very small victory but just for anyone else who is still struggling just know persist with whatever you are going through and things can improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm back too :( (formerly known as Bally8)
    My achilles has been niggling recently so I eased back on the running for a while. I do a lot of cycling and some swimming so at least I've been able to keep active. After a couple weeks break I went back running and felt ok and managed to get back on track with my training for the Charleville Half Marathon. Heel drops, calf stretches, heel raises at every opportunity. Did the Castleconnell triathlon last weekend. Really pushed it in the run, quelle suprise- planter fasica injury back with a bang!! I've taken 4 days off completely and 3 slow miles today. Last year my planter fascia injury was treated while I continued to do very short slow runs as rest doesnt work in repairing it. Very annoyed its back as I really thought it was fully recovered.
    Have you tried KT tape??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

posting here out of sheer frustration. just started running last year, and was planning on great limerick run half marathon in may, plus a bunch of tris this year. had itbs before xmas, only got back running in early december, and then on a run between xmas and new years got a lot of pain in the big toe on my right foot which lasted for a couple of days afterwards, then fine again. been the same with every run since.

saw doctor yesterday, suspected tendinitis, at least 6 to 8 weeks out, which pretty much rules out the half, and probably a good few of the tris i was planning. not happy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

mossym wrote: »
    not happy at all.

I hear ya..
    Nothing worse than injuries particularly when you'd be doing so well or gearing towards a goal..
    I was out with my knee towards the end of last year, now thats fine so got back into my running..doing great and then got a call the other day to go for surgery for something else...jesus, another few weeks out..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I'm delighted to have discovered this thread as I need somewhere to vent my anger, frustration, disappointment and depression!!
    A few months back when training for my first marathon I was a big follower of the DCM Novices Thread, often I wondered what people were on about when they referred to their IT Band. I even asked a nurse I knew and she hadn’t a clue what I was on about it. Unfortunately since Oct 29th 2012 I have now become an expert on the demon ITBS :mad::mad:
    DCM was a marvellous day for me, I loved every minute of it and post marathon I couldn't wait to plan for another. So registered for Paris on April 7th, flights paid and all.
    At the start I chose to ignore the pain coming from the outside of my knee, thinking surely it’s just a post marathon niggle. But it came to stage where on planned runs I ended up doing more walking than running. As I sat in my physios in early November I thought she was bonkers when she said I could forget about Paris, surely she’s making a mistake its months away. I opted to think she was just being overly cautious and that I'd def be running down the Champs Elysees on April 7th. So since November I’ve been rigorously following my physio’s advice, stretching/strengthening and foam rolling the area twice a day. Took complete rest from running at the start. Gradually got back on the road, and I mean gradually, someday I wouldn’t make a full mile without pain. By Xmas I knew Paris was off:( I Attended a Chi Running in the new yr, still going to physio and keeping up my rehab program, eventually it happened..2 miles...3miles...4 miles and then music to my ears two weeks ago I was allowed 5 miles and if this went well the following week I was allowed a 6 miler. I was on cloud 9, straight onto Run Ireland what race could I pinpoint as a comeback race?? I'd already lost my Paris dream but surely even a local race in April/May I could aim for. Did my 5 miles pain free, then 6 miles. This was it I was cured! I still kept up my regime. Then this week again DISASTER.... The demon reappeared Thurs after 5miles, making me walk home a mile. I put this all down to the terrain Id ran on and that it’s a hilly route. So anxiously yesterday I opted to test it again. This time on a flatter better road route. Then it came again this time after 3.5 miles. I stopped and stretched and again had to walk back to car, feeling totally distraught. Asking why oh why has this happened to me again? Surely it’s not fair when I’m being such a good patient??? So with tears in eyes I drove home and spent the rest of the day feeling oh so sorry for myself, on a total downer :(
    So just wondering has anyone else ever gone through a similar experience like this where you thought it was gone and then bang back it comes? Also I’ve been trying to do some cycling to keep up my fitness and have read some conflicting reports whether it can aggravate the ITB or not. I use a combination of my own road bike, and the spinning and turbo bike at gym(turbo is way too big for me). So could one of these maybe making the problem worse?
    All advice much appreciated and sorry for writing an essay but it’s good to get it off my chest, other people just don’t understand!
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I'm delighted to have discovered this thread as I need somewhere to vent my anger, frustration, disappointment and depression!!
    A few months back when training for my first marathon I was a big follower of the DCM Novices Thread, often I wondered what people were on about when they referred to their IT Band. I even asked a nurse I knew and she hadn’t a clue what I was on about it. Unfortunately since Oct 29th 2012 I have now become an expert on the demon ITBS :mad::mad:
    DCM was a marvellous day for me, I loved every minute of it and post marathon I couldn't wait to plan for another. So registered for Paris on April 7th, flights paid and all.
    At the start I chose to ignore the pain coming from the outside of my knee, thinking surely it’s just a post marathon niggle. But it came to stage where on planned runs I ended up doing more walking than running. As I sat in my physios in early November I thought she was bonkers when she said I could forget about Paris, surely she’s making a mistake its months away. I opted to think she was just being overly cautious and that I'd def be running down the Champs Elysees on April 7th. So since November I’ve been rigorously following my physio’s advice, stretching/strengthening and foam rolling the area twice a day. Took complete rest from running at the start. Gradually got back on the road, and I mean gradually, someday I wouldn’t make a full mile without pain. By Xmas I knew Paris was off:( I Attended a Chi Running in the new yr, still going to physio and keeping up my rehab program, eventually it happened..2 miles...3miles...4 miles and then music to my ears two weeks ago I was allowed 5 miles and if this went well the following week I was allowed a 6 miler. I was on cloud 9, straight onto Run Ireland what race could I pinpoint as a comeback race?? I'd already lost my Paris dream but surely even a local race in April/May I could aim for. Did my 5 miles pain free, then 6 miles. This was it I was cured! I still kept up my regime. Then this week again DISASTER.... The demon reappeared Thurs after 5miles, making me walk home a mile. I put this all down to the terrain Id ran on and that it’s a hilly route. So anxiously yesterday I opted to test it again. This time on a flatter better road route. Then it came again this time after 3.5 miles. I stopped and stretched and again had to walk back to car, feeling totally distraught. Asking why oh why has this happened to me again? Surely it’s not fair when I’m being such a good patient??? So with tears in eyes I drove home and spent the rest of the day feeling oh so sorry for myself, on a total downer :(
    So just wondering has anyone else ever gone through a similar experience like this where you thought it was gone and then bang back it comes? Also I’ve been trying to do some cycling to keep up my fitness and have read some conflicting reports whether it can aggravate the ITB or not. I use a combination of my own road bike, and the spinning and turbo bike at gym(turbo is way too big for me). So could one of these maybe making the problem worse?
    All advice much appreciated and sorry for writing an essay but it’s good to get it off my chest, other people just don’t understand!
    Thanks again

I feel your pain - yes ITBS can re occure but don't despair, you _are_ on the road to a full recovery - you can get 6 miles now where you could not get a mile in a few months ago. But clearly something has gone wrong ad it is time to go back to basics. I'd knock off the cycling at least for a while and re introduce it very gradually. But the key is not to loose heart now - and yes I know what it like to miss the destination race - it sucks. But there are always other races ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I too suffered from ITBS and I feel your pain - its the most frustrating injury I've ever had (and I've had quite a few :mad:). Only difference is mine was on the top of the band where it attaches to the hip. I first got injured at mile 10 of a half marathon and ran on through sheer agony. Didn't attend a physio straight away as I could still play 5-a-side. Rested it for 8 weeks running wise but 2 mile into my first run back it was worse than ever - had another few disasters until I eventually attended a Physio.

I found that the heat treatments from the physio really gave me relief along with foam rolling. Physio was putting it down to running on hard shoulder of the road so was constantly on a slope and sharp increase in mileage.

Once I followed a 8 week exercise programme with Physio was able to come back and it has never come back against me since :). Stopped running on the hard shoulder as well. While following the physio's programme was able to use an exercise bike no problem - could also play 5 a side no problem.

Long story short - you will come back from it, its frustrating but don't rush it and you can do other stuff in meantime to keep up fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hey Doco12, sorry to hear you are going through such a though time with the Itb. I had the same injury a few years back. Your recovery sounds very similar to mine. Very slow with a few set backs along the way but in the end it fully recovered and has never bothered me again. You will get there too, it mightn't seem like that now but you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated. Plus it's great to hear from others who have had the same injury. Going to go back to the drawing board, ease off the road and turbo cycling. Just do maybe a spinning session once a week. Will chance maybe 3 miles later on in week, preferably on the track if I can so at least I won't have the dreaded walk back home if goes bad. I agree about running on one side of road too, I'm down narrow country roads with bad surface. Usually always on right hand side so that doesn't help. When go on track ill alternate directions. Thanks again guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Decided to revive this thread as I am currently on the crocked list for the first time in a while.

I strained a calf muscle (tibialis) in an Easter Monday 10K but I hope not seriously (grade 1).
    Got treatment for it last week and was recommended not to run this week either.

It's tough not being out there with this great weather but maybe rain is coming soon.
    I can cycle or aqua run but neither is very appealing. I have been doing a bit on an exercise bike to keep some level of fitness - deadly boring though. Also doing some general strength work (excluding lower leg) which has been lacking recently anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

dna_leri wrote: »
    Decided to revive this thread as I am currently on the crocked list for the first time in a while.

I strained a calf muscle (tibialis) in an Easter Monday 10K but I hope not seriously (grade 1).

It's tough not being out there with this great weather but maybe rain is coming soon.
    I can cycle or aqua run but neither is very appealing. I have been doing a bit on an exercise bike to keep some level of fitness - deadly boring though. Also doing some general strength work (excluding lower leg) which has been lacking recently anyway.

Ah no, hope it's not too serious for you. Calves seem to be very susceptible for middle distance runners. Hope you're back on the roads track soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Thankfully just back after 6 month off running with a rather painful cartilage injury in the right knee. This manifested its self after DCM13, with the result that I had to stop running completely since, and even walking a short distance was extremely painful.

Thankfully the 5-6 months rest and a 3 months on Dona (a 1500mg Glucosamine Sulphate supplement) seems to have me sorted.

Just started back last week with an easy Park run in Malahide. Bliss...

For those of you laid up, my condolences, for anyone else about to come back, "its great to get running again"...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

sorry to hear that dna. you seemed to be coming into as bit of form there.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Thankfully just back after 6 month off running with a rather painful cartilage injury in the right knee. This manifested its self after DCM13, with the result that I had to stop running completely since, and even walking a short distance was extremely painful.

Thankfully the 5-6 months rest and a 3 months on Dona (a 1500mg Glucosamine Sulphate supplement) seems to have me sorted.

Just started back last week with an easy Park run in Malahide. Bliss...

For those of you laid up, my condolences, for anyone else about to come back, "its great to get running again"...

Ah. Just what I needed to read!
    I've been nursing a cartilage injury for 7 months. At times, I could barely walk. Still, I persisted because movement is key to cartilage recovery. Reading the book and blog Saving My Knees has greatly helped. Still not there yet, but I can walk faster and longer.
    I visualise myself in the Malahide park too. I'm determined to make it

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Ah. Just what I needed to read!
    I've been nursing a cartilage injury for 7 months. At times, I could barely walk. Still, I persisted because movement is key to cartilage recovery. Reading the book and blog Saving My Knees has greatly helped. Still not there yet, but I can walk faster and longer.
    I visualise myself in the Malahide park too. I'm determined to make it

7 months is a long time to be out and still not back running. I presume you have a damaged meniscus and in consultation with your medical/therapist have decided not to get it operated.

I had a similar problem in 2010. At the end of March I tore my medial ligament and damaged the meniscus, also some bruising to the bone, the ACL (cruciate) was ok. I rested and cross-trained etc for 3 months and saw no improvements so I decided to try surgery. In July I had keyhole surgery (arthroscopy) to remove the damaged meniscus.

From there recovery was still slow and tough. By week 7 post-op, I could run slowly. 5 weeks later I was running 3 times a week up to 10K. I built it back up slowly. By Feb 2011 I had a PB for 5K and went on to run 5 or 6 more PBs that year.

Summary is decide what is best for yourself but do not rule out surgery as part of the solution.

7 months is a long time to be out and still not back running. I presume you have a damaged meniscus and in consultation with your medical/therapist have decided not to get it operated.

I had a similar problem in 2010. At the end of March I tore my medial ligament and damaged the meniscus, also some bruising to the bone, the ACL (cruciate) was ok. I rested and cross-trained etc for 3 months and saw no improvements so I decided to try surgery. In July I had keyhole surgery (arthroscopy) to remove the damaged meniscus.

From there recovery was still slow and tough. By week 7 post-op, I could run slowly. 5 weeks later I was running 3 times a week up to 10K. I built it back up slowly. By Feb 2011 I had a PB for 5K and went on to run 5 or 6 more PBs that year.

Summary is decide what is best for yourself but do not rule out surgery as part of the solution.

No damage to the meniscus. The IRM on both knees came back clear. However, the patella is irritated.
    TBH, I have had a series of issues with my legs, so while the knees were the last straw, I'm not that surprised to be out for so long. Add to this that the first sport specialist I saw sent me to a guy who had me do squats, I have the feeling that it caused even more damages. Sure, I was running after 6 weeks, but then injured the knees again as soon as I hoped on a bike. :mad:

My experience with surgery, both personal and of relatives', has not been a good one and I'd rather not to if I can avoid it. Still, your story is a good one, so I'll keep my mind open if I don't see any improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Posting on behalf of my wife. She has just had an MRI and discovered she has a broad based posterior protrusion of the disc at L5.

Just wondering if anybody else here has had same or similar, she has only completed 10k races but was hoping to complete a half and hopefully a full marathon this year, she is worried that she shouldnt run now in case it exacerbates her injury. Any and all advice on this welcome

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Posting on behalf of my wife. She has just had an MRI and discovered she has a broad based posterior protrusion of the disc at L5.

Just wondering if anybody else here has had same or similar, she has only completed 10k races but was hoping to complete a half and hopefully a full marathon this year, she is worried that she shouldnt run now in case it exacerbates her injury. Any and all advice on this welcome
    No injury advice allowed -see charter. Check with professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Chatting on whattsapp, I have discovered a fair few of the DCM 2018 novices are injured, one way or another.

It made me remember this thread and I thought I might give it a bump to see are there any other injured's who want to sound off?

My semi-ignored ankle weakness has come back to bite me, and I've gone, over the years, from sore heel, strained knee, overloaded ankle to crippling hip.

Who knew a little ol' ankle could cause so much inconvenience.

I'm doing tons of stretching and isolated training to improve flexibility and strengthen it. But man, I so hate split squats :(

Anyone else in the doldrums?

5 years ago, I was walking with a cane, my knees had gone so bad. I kept moving, which really helped. But the breakthrough came when I started pool physio, I did it for a few months and then started hiking again. I've been running again for 18 months now, and when I badly sprained my ankle last June (grade 3 sprain, off my foot for weeks), I returned to the water for physio and I halved the recovery time.
    I no longer race or go crazy, I run once or twice a week at most, 10k is enough. But I also jump on the trampoline, skip, and do hiit. Variety seems to help, and I listen to my body, so if my knee is sore I take a day off, just walking or use the pool.

If anyone is interested in the name of the physio who does rehab in the pool (Dublin North), pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Currently injured myself. Damn nuisance and frustrating but just have to accept it and do my best to keep a certain level of fitness up. I was diagnosed with the beginnings of a stress fracture. It was sore for 2 weeks before I went to the physio. I think it may be down to upping my mileage to a level where it had been 6 weeks before, even though it wasn't high mileage. Could be down to bad nutrition (fairly healthy), or old runners (not that old), I really don't know.

Or it could be like Juke, it's my bad leg. I used to never get injuries and then in 2011 I broke my leg just above the ankle. It healed well eventually but in the past year and half since going back to proper running I've had 3 injuries in that same leg and absolutely nothing wrong with the other leg. Probably need to do more rehab on the ankle as it is weaker than the other.

Anyway thanks to Kellygirl's advice, I've been aqua jogging which I've found really good. It raises the heart rate surprisingly quickly which means I can get a tough workout. Strange not to feel impact on the leg muscles at all afterwards. Have noticed though that my hip flexors have been getting a really good stretch as I've been concentrating on getting a good range of motion with exaggerated running movements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Grass, Grass and more grass along with your rehab when you do get back SS

A mate of mine used to plagued with stress fractures years ago(think he 4 in a two year pediod) and he was running 30mpw at the time. Started running on grass and the track a lot more after the last one and he hasn't had one in over 4 years despite regularly getting 90mpw in now and a few weeks even up to 110 miles. He probably runs 70% of his mileage off road on the track, Grass and dirt trails.

On a side note, does anyone know where you can get a compartment pressure test done; preferably in the Munster area?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Sorry to hear about all the injuries.

You try so hard to do your best and train hard without your body breaking down but it's a fine line really, isn't it? To know when you're at that point when you shouldn't push any more or it will cause you an injury. Still, you want to challenge yourself and give it all you have...

I hope I'll learn to recognise that line before it trips me up again.

I find myself now almost afraid to chance a run in case my leg hurts and I reset my recovery to zero all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Sorry to hear about all the injuries.

You try so hard to do your best and train hard without your body breaking down but it's a fine line really, isn't it? To know when you're at that point when you shouldn't push any more or it will cause you an injury. Still, you want to challenge yourself and give it all you have...

I hope I'll learn to recognise that line before it trips me up again.

I find myself now almost afraid to chance a run in case my leg hurts and I reset my recovery to zero all over again.

Be patient.....and come back stronger hopefully!

juke wrote: »
    Chatting on whattsapp, I have discovered a fair few of the DCM 2018 novices are injured, one way or another.

It made me remember this thread and I thought I might give it a bump to see are there any other injured's who want to sound off?

My semi-ignored ankle weakness has come back to bite me, and I've gone, over the years, from sore heel, strained knee, overloaded ankle to crippling hip.

Who knew a little ol' ankle could cause so much inconvenience.

I'm doing tons of stretching and isolated training to improve flexibility and strengthen it. But man, I so hate split squats :(

Anyone else in the doldrums?

I hope the stretching helps - god I’m not even going to google split squats!

Currently injured myself.

Anyway thanks to Kellygirl's advice, I've been aqua jogging which I've found really good. It raises the heart rate surprisingly quickly which means I can get a tough workout. Strange not to feel impact on the leg muscles at all afterwards. Have noticed though that my hip flexors have been getting a really good stretch as I've been concentrating on getting a good range of motion with exaggerated running movements.

Great to hear the aqua jogging is helping!

• Advertisement
Advertisement