Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I think the fans where also waiting for a thank you.
    I genuinely think he was a bit overwhelmed

Exactly, these guys aren't professionals or PR artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Galtee wrote: »
    To me this is a little contradictory considering your intention to retrospecitvely analyse the refs performance. Magnanimous, yet still going to pick holes in the ref?

Respectfully, I don't see why they are mutually exclusive.

And if you don't see any point in retrospectively analysing aspects of this game and other games: then what are these discussion forums about? :)

You deem it a requirement that I think the referee performed well or else I'm a sore loser. Or you deem it a requirement that the referee's poor performance never be discussed or else I'm a sore loser.

I don't think that's fair.

I think Dublin deserved their victory and were the best team on the day. As champions, they are definitively and unequivocally the best team of 2011.

I also think the ref had a stinker. And the whole issue of referees performance and how the game is adjudicated is an important issue when looking back on not just the final but the championship as a whole.
    The ref did make bad decisions for both teams as previousy mentioned. I understand that usually which ever team loses will try and pick holes in whatever they can (usually the ref)

To be fair, I don't think that's what I'm doing. Kerry lost the match cos they didn't perform and Dublin did. Kerry lose plenty of games and there is no recourse to the 'ref was ****e' etc.

Kerry happened to lose this game AND the referee was ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Exactly, these guys aren't professionals or PR artists.

Ah i know that, I'm not criticising him as such. Just a little disappointed.

Generally captains are good speakers though, was hoping for a momentous speech. Taking nothing from Cullen though, fantastic footballer & tremendous worker on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I have given out an infraction and deleted 3 nonsensical posts.

Any more and there will be bans

Mod warning

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

quad_red wrote: »
    I also think the ref had a stinker.

that sums it up in a nutshell. he made bad mistakes for both teams, but ultimately the ones against kerry were extremely costly and its a pity the game will have a poor referee as one of its talking points.

glad most people are at least admitting he was bad, some others need to admit it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

knird evol wrote: »

Theres a lot of 'Congratulations but....' and 'No sour grapes but.. <sour grapes>

Also "Dublin put a lot of effort in to getting here" "They worked hard" "They're well organised".

Imagine what we could do if we could play football as well.

get used to it, it's called being sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

knird evol wrote: »

Theres a lot of 'Congratulations but....' and 'No sour grapes but.. <sour grapes>

Also "Dublin put a lot of effort in to getting here" "They worked hard" "They're well organised".

Imagine what we could do if we could play football as well.

What are you expecting exactly?

Dublin just won the All Ireland, there are 30 other teams disappointed over the last year and 1 team bitterly disappointed yesterday.

Get over it. You won, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Its Sport, and its the GAA. People will always begrudge the winners because they want to see their team there.

Enjoy it because it all begins again in a few months and let me tell you there will be a lot of counties looking to knock Dublin off their perch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Respectfully, I don't see why they are mutually exclusive.

And if you don't see any point in retrospectively analysing aspects of this game and other games: then what are these discussion forums about? :)

You deem it a requirement that I think the referee performed well or else I'm a sore loser. Or you deem it a requirement that the referee's poor performance never be discussed or else I'm a sore loser.

I don't think that's fair.

I think Dublin deserved their victory and were the best team on the day. As champions, they are definitively and unequivocally the best team of 2011.

I also think the ref had a stinker. And the whole issue of referees performance and how the game is adjudicated is an important issue when looking back on not just the final but the championship as a whole.

To be fair, I don't think that's what I'm doing. Kerry lost the match cos they didn't perform and Dublin did. Kerry lose plenty of games and there is no recourse to the 'ref was ****e' etc.

Kerry happened to lose this game AND the referee was ****e.

With respect, you didn't say anything about analysing the game, you focused your frustration on the ref. You mentioned in brief the rest of the game which hardly classes as analysis yet you were marking your card to analyse the refs performance on a future date which I think is pointless and detracts from the initial congrates you extended and is exactly the point I was making originally. And this discussion board was setup prior to the final so people could discuss it.

That's you saying that, not me and in fact it doesn't bear any resemblence to anything I said. To put it another way, what is the point in analysing the ref now or in the future? Neither side could have any issue with the ref. he was equally bad for both teams and there's no point in mentioning it any further here in this thread. To revert to your gambit "Keyboard warriors do say allot of things". You've congratulated Dublins victory yet seem determined to detract from it by analysing the ref. If you want you should start another thread about the refs decisions but mentioning that sort of thing here only detracts from the deserved Dublin victory and I think that's unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

Congrats from a Corkman here. I was sitting beside a Dub supporter at the semi-final last year and even though the manner of their defeat was sickening, he shook my hand at the end and said "well done".
    By the way, I know the Kerry crowd are being very complimentary at the moment but just a word of warning: it won't last. Expect them to be moaning in a few weeks about the referee, how they have a zillion All-Irelands anyway and couldn't care less etc. etc.
    We get it from them all the time down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Congrats to the Dubs,when our lads were up by 4 points I was full sure they would close the game out but two bad passes cost us the All Ireland, when the Dubs got the goal Kerry seemed to panic took a quick kickout and lost the ball which ended up with the Dubs getting a point,yesterdays game could be the end of the line for some of the Kerry lads and if it is I would like to thank them for all the great days they have given our county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Neither side could have any issue with the ref. he was equally bad for both teams

lol...you make me laugh, you really do. i suspect you didnt see the analysis last night on the sunday game where they showed 6 errors he made, that led to 4 scores, all 4 scores going to dublin?

then the last score was left open for debate with the consensus being that it was not a foul and you also have 2 key factors on to this, the ger brennan red card and the injury time fiasco. add on to that the foul on killian young that wasnt punished which led to a brogan point and the endless high tackles and fouls that werent given to kerry throughout the game.

what on earth did he do against dublin yesterday that could have cost them the game? he got 2 or 3 bad calls wrong around the middle of the field, that led to nothing where as the calls he got wrong against kerry were costly.

to say he was bad for both teams equally is laughable to be honest. a draw was the fair result yesterday and it didnt happen.

im sure McQuillian will be given the freedom of the city, he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

that sums it up in a nutshell. he made bad mistakes for both teams, but ultimately the ones against kerry were extremely costly and its a pity the game will have a poor referee as one of its talking points.

glad most people are at least admitting he was bad, some others need to admit it also.

I have never been a fan of McQuillan. He was poor yesterday, however, there is no astrix beside Dublin's victory. If that was the case, then any team could claim that most victors of All Ireland Titles have dones so with astrixs beside their name.

lol...you make me laugh, you really do. i suspect you didnt see the analysis last night on the sunday game where they showed 6 errors he made, that led to 4 scores, all 4 scores going to dublin?

then the last score was left open for debate with the consensus being that it was not a foul and you also have 2 key factors on to this, the ger brennan red card and the injury time fiasco. add on to that the foul on killian young that wasnt punished which led to a brogan point and the endless high tackles and fouls that werent given to kerry throughout the game.

what on earth did he do against dublin yesterday that could have cost them the game? he got 2 or 3 bad calls wrong around the middle of the field, that led to nothing where as the calls he got wrong against kerry were costly.

to say he was bad for both teams equally is laughable to be honest. a draw was the fair result yesterday and it didnt happen.

Sorry, but Kerry have had the refereeing rub of the green on several occasions over the past decade. Frothing at the mouth will not cut any ice with me, considering what the likes of Galvin (2007), O'Mahoney (2008), and Kennelly(2009) got away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Was in Gills watching the match yesterday, wasn't prepared to pay money to a tout. There was a Kerry lad standing beside us watching the match. Slagged the **** out of us for the whole game. Fair play to him, at full time he shook a few hands, stayed around and had a few pints and put a Dublin Jersey on (he'd lost a bet). Most of the other Kerry fans there didn't seem bitter at all and had very few complaints.

Also had great craic after the match at the Hill 16 pub, singing "Come on you boys in blue" to the Guards was a particular highlight.

Great day for me, even if I didn't get a ticket and IMO a great day for GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Did anyone else think it was embarrassing seeing Caffrey on the sideline at the end.Seemed like attention seeking,he knew he would be on the TV if Dublin won,he did some good work when he was manager and would have a connection with most of the team but that is in the past.He would have no problem getting a ticket and if he had to work he should have avoided the cameras and stayed in the backround.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nickbrun

Fairest result would have been a draw. Kerry didn't play as well as we can, but I don't think the dubs did either.
    Ref was very poor and contributed to Kerry losing although we have ourselves to blame for not seeing it out being 4 points up with 5 min left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

yabadabado wrote: »
    Did anyone else think it was embarrassing seeing Caffrey on the sideline at the end.Seemed like attention seeking,he knew he would be on the TV if Dublin won,he did some good work when he was manager and would have a connection with most of the team but that is in the past.He would have no problem getting a ticket and if he had to work he should have avoided the cameras and stayed in the backround.

Absolutely not, the complete opposite. I thought it was a lovely touch that he was able to celebrate the fact that a team he managed in the past were able to win the Sam, even though he could only take them so far. Just for you:

294498_285952698098426_127630933930604_1218771_1881932995_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

lol...you make me laugh, you really do
    You're welcome.

I'm sorry can you clarify this for me please. Are you trying to say that a wrong call isn't a wrong call if it doesn't cost you a score?
    a draw was the fair result yesterday and it didnt happen.

Your whole point focuses on how unfair the ref was with Kerry and that his decisions cost you the game, if that were really the case how can you really believe that a draw would have been a fair result?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭mobby

No. Thought it was a great moment.
    See the usual suspects here moaning about the Dubs bringing sam home. :D
    Best team won and Dubs Are ALL IRELAND CHAMPIONS lads so just get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Absolutely not, the complete opposite. I thought it was a lovely touch that he was able to celebrate the fact that a team he managed in the past were able to win the Sam, even though he could only take them so far. Just for you:

Definitely not. I've seen Caffery quite a lot at Croker at non-Dublin matches, most of the time in and around the lower terraces and side lines. GAA runs through his veins. I thought it was a nice touch, captured well by the media

• Advertisement

Not really TBH.

For years the cameras were always panning to Caffery on AI Final day after some monumental feck up by one of his Dublin teams.

This time, a number of players he cultivated, and rejuvinated as Lyons' backroom boy, and as manager himself, claimed the biggest prize in GAA. No doubt they are grateful to him, and were anxious to acknowledge his contributions to their own development. It is also forgotten that players like Ger Brennan, Denis Bastick, Philly McMahon and Kevin Nolan were given their first opportunities in a Dublin shirt by Caffery.

While their is a definate partition between this era, and Caffery's, there remains a strong link, and I dont think there is anything wrong with players acknowledging that, or Caffrey enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭mobby

294498_285952698098426_127630933930604_1218771_1881932995_n.jpg

Great Picture

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

sound lads,just the way I thought it looked.BTW its wasnt ment as a dig at Dublin,glad they won and had a nice earner off them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I thought this tweet was funny
    The Dubs first stop today is the nurses in Temple St. Related to Coppers visit last night?

http://twitter.com/#!/Ciaran_O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

No, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Can't agree more with the comment on the original article's page - Some dignified shít right there, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some pictures of the game here

Epic game!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Temp Barry

What a magnificent day.

The bottle and character shown by the Dublin players was just tremendous.

And what scores to close out the game. Fabulous goal by Super Kev, awesome point by the other Super Kev, Magic point from a difficult angle off his weak foot by St Bernard and then the killer blow by Ice King Clucko.

The 3 best players for me were Macauley, Cullen and Al Brogan.

We are the champions.

What a beautiful feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Ubelievable game of football and passion from the fans yesterday, great for Irish sporting morale especially after Rugby World cup win.

Credit to both teams and fans.

RTE could consider bring a Dub onto their team of three experts for live match analysis.. maybe someone a little more lighthearted/ a bit younger..more in touch with Dublin people. Why is it always ex Country county players ? Why not bring Ciaran Whelan in for live match commentary/ Kevin Moran,
    John O'Leary etc.. ....

No disrespect but at times it's like listening to three country school teachers giving out about homework - very depressing to listen to at times.Football was great but the commentary was deflating to listen to.

If the GAA/RTE want to market the game, then they need to do something about that RTE panel....

Advertisement