Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

To be fair i dont begrudge Dublin the win and i hope they enjoy the celebrations but why has the national broadcaster decided to show their homecoming live when other counties who have achieved so much recently such as Kilkenny or Kerry barely get a few seconds on the news?

Anythin that raises the profile of the GAA on a national basis is a great thing IMHO. They wouldn't show it if they didn't think there was an audience of tens if not hundreds of thousands that would tune in. Im not sure there'd be the same audience for a Tipp or kilkeny homecoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

To be fair i dont begrudge Dublin the win and i hope they enjoy the celebrations but why has the national broadcaster decided to show their homecoming live when other counties who have achieved so much recently such as Kilkenny or Kerry barely get a few seconds on the news?
    Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Is it just me or is Des Cahill half pissed?

also that guitarist should be shot

edit. the lads singing are making Tommy Bowe sound like Pavarotti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Because dublin is the biggest population centre in the whole country. Get used to that one

Im not a Dub or a GAA fan but i was in town yesterday and i dont think ive ever seen anything like it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Apart from the fact it's only a bloody Internet stream,it's on their doorstep,it would be lazy of them not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Is it just me or is Des Cahill half pissed?

also that guitarist should be shot

edit. the lads singing are making Tommy Bowe sound like Pavarotti

Kev McMenaman was great.. really funny!

Des Cahill had his mike on earlier when the camera was just pointed out to crowd. Some woman ask him if he needed anything, he said, "a bit more sobriety"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

dublin fully deserved there win. stay fighting until the end. good for football too.

on a lighter note...would ye take two mins to vote for clarinbridge in this etihad best club under the sun.. holiday badly need out west as we have nothin much too shout about this summer!!

The Clarinbridge GAA Club have reached the final 4 in the Etihad Airways ‘Best Club Down Under’ Competition. The winning entry is decided by a public vote. We need your vote and we kindly ask that you click www.etihadgaa.ie and vote for The Clarinbridge GAA Club. We would really appreciate your support and if possible could you circulate the above link to your friends and colleagues. Check out www.etihadgaa.ie for more information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I'm still buzzing here. I had to laugh at McMenamin singing there "They get all the girls...We've got the poshest backline in football"

Sundy wrote: »
    Because dublin is the biggest population centre in the whole country. Get used to that one

Im not a Dub or a GAA fan but i was in town yesterday and i don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.

Im not disputing that but in all honesty its a national broadcaster streaming a homecoming celebration for one county at the end of the day. Its not the national rugby or soccer team.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact it's only a bloody Internet stream,it's on their doorstep,it would be lazy of them not to.

Ive only seen this now. Sure thats fair enough i suppose. good marketing for the gaa in general like Pat Spillane was getting at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Het-Field wrote: »
    In the light of Mr Incognito's posts this morning, this post requires revisitation.

Ah jaysis let sleepin dogs lie ! .... I've read thru the 50 odd pages since last I posted .. fackin great reading I haveta say ... that fella just needs to be disregarded completely ..

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Kev McMenaman was great.. really funny!

Des Cahill had his mike on earlier when the camera was just pointed out to crowd. Some woman ask him if he needed anything, he said, "a bit more sobriety"

missed that! only caught the end of it, didn't realise it was being streamed on rte.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ive only seen this now. Sure thats fair enough i suppose. good marketing for the gaa in general like Pat Spillane was getting at.

Pah, they are always mortifying anyway for anyone but the local fans. If anything it was unfair of RTE.ie to stream our 'homecoming' and not subject all the other counties to the same treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

A lot of nonsense regarding the Brennan tackle.

We have all seen that sort of incident happen a thousand times, well, people who watch GAA all the time.

As I said, anyone who watches GAA sees those incidents where a player is lining up a shoulder, the other player slips and falls into his elbow. It happens usually either on a greasy pitch where the player with the ball tries to turn suddendly and slips or else the player with the ball is pulled down and on the way down hits an elbow, accidentally.

There was simply not enough time for Brennan to pull out from that challenge.

I have seen it happen at club games, pure accidents where a guy can get his jaw broken through an unintentional slip at the wrong time.

O'Sullivan was tripped by the other player, on his way to ground and ran into Brennan's elbow. There is no comparison to the Tadg Kinnelly incident, who set out to elbow the player deliberately in the face...Did Kinnelly even get a yellow for that by the way?

As for the McMenemen free at the end, it was a brave decision, but it was the right one. Since when is it acceptable to leave your leg out when a player turns inside you? It wasn't for McMenenem to avoid the leg or jump over it, it was for Kean to get out of the way or make an effort to tackle with his hands for the ball.

As for the RTE panel last night, it was they who were poor in my view. Sure the ref made some bad calls, but a couple of the ones they highlighted they also got wrong and the ref got right.

Kerry need to put this one behind them, not be crying into their drink all winter about how they were robbed by the ref or Brennan should have bene sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I just want to say a big thank you to Kerry supporters and players for how they acted after the final whistle. Very gracious in defeat & they seemed genuinely happy that the All Ireland is finally back in the capital. Other county fans who just seem to want to put the boot into Dublin for no reason could take note from the Kingdom fans.

Fierce rivals on the pitch but great friends off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I have no idea who that guy singing at half-time was, but he was absolutely fuc*ing awful.

Just thought I'd share that.

I have no idea who that guy singing at half-time was, but he was absolutely fuc*ing awful.

Just thought I'd share that.

Ryan Sheridan .. the next big thing.. or not in yer case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So it was roughly a minute between foul and cluxton kicking the winning free? Has anyone timed any of the other shots on goal from frees yesterday? Just for some perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Up the Dubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

DDC1990 wrote: »
    It took Cluxton almost 2 minutes to take that last kick.

It didn't. The whistle for the free was awarded at 70:51, it took Kevin McManamon 10 seconds to get up off the ground and out of the way making it 71:01, Cluxton had to run up the pitch to take the free, the whistle to take the free was at 71:43 and he kicked it at 71:51. So all in all it took 60 seconds. I wonder how many times Kerry have been guilty of taking their own sweet time in tight matches when awarded late frees. Let it go man, let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

plasmaguy wrote: »
    A lot of nonsense regarding the Brennan tackle.

We have all seen that sort of incident happen a thousand times, well, people who watch GAA all the time.

As I said, anyone who watches GAA sees those incidents where a player is lining up a shoulder, the other player slips and falls into his elbow. It happens usually either on a greasy pitch where the player with the ball tries to turn suddendly and slips or else the player with the ball is pulled down and on the way down hits an elbow, accidentally.

There was simply not enough time for Brennan to pull out from that challenge.

I have seen it happen at club games, pure accidents where a guy can get his jaw broken through an unintentional slip at the wrong time.

O'Sullivan was tripped by the other player, on his way to ground and ran into Brennan's elbow. There is no comparison to the Tadg Kinnelly incident, who set out to elbow the player deliberately in the face...Did Kinnelly even get a yellow for that by the way?

As for the McMenemen free at the end, it was a brave decision, but it was the right one. Since when is it acceptable to leave your leg out when a player turns inside you? It wasn't for McMenenem to avoid the leg or jump over it, it was for Kean to get out of the way or make an effort to tackle with his hands for the ball.

As for the RTE panel last night, it was they who were poor in my view. Sure the ref made some bad calls, but a couple of the ones they highlighted they also got wrong and the ref got right.

Kerry need to put this one behind them, not be crying into their drink all winter about how they were robbed by the ref or Brennan should have bene sent off.

Absolutely right. As for the soft free in front of goal, if you watch in slow motion, the ball is handled on the ground before being kicked away, should have been a penalty.

Donaghy should have been off the pitch long before the end and the way he went down when Brennan shoved him at the end was straight out of the Donegal manual.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    It took Cluxton almost 2 minutes to take that last kick.

It didn't. The whistle for the free was awarded at 70:51, it took Kevin McMenamin 10 seconds to get up off the ground and out of the way making it 71:01, Cluxton had to run up the pitch to take the free, the whistle to take the free was at 71:43 and he kicked it at 71:51. So all in all it took 60 seconds. I wonder how many times Kerry have been guilty of taking their own sweet time in tight matches when awarded late frees. Let it go man, let it go.
    That's what I was asking above. There were plenty of points scored from frees yesterday. I wonder what the time difference on the rest of them was

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i do laugh at the attempts to brush off the tackle by brennan. if there was nothing in it, why was he booked then?

it was either a red or nothing as if he deemed it was an elbow or dangerous, then why on earth give a yellow. it will go down in my opinion as the most dangerous tackle ever in an all ireland final, it looked simply shocking live and even worse on tv.

as for the massive dive that ultimately won the game for dublin, its a shame that one man from cavan robbed us all the chance to see the game played again in 2 weeks time.

and people call donaghy for diving? oh the irony is delicious.

i do laugh at the attempts to brush off the tackle by brennan. if there was nothing in it, why was he booked then?

it was either a red or nothing as if he deemed it was an elbow or dangerous, then why on earth give a yellow. it will go down in my opinion as the most dangerous tackle ever in an all ireland final, it looked simply shocking live and even worse on tv.

as for the massive dive that ultimately won the game for dublin, its a shame that one man from cavan robbed us all the chance to see the game played again in 2 weeks time.

LMAO ... this is pitiful ... I want Bryan Sheehan to explain why he rugby tackled MDM robbing Dublin of a goal ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ye were not good enough to see the game out,get over it you're like a broken record.

So it was roughly a minute between foul and cluxton kicking the winning free? Has anyone timed any of the other shots on goal from frees yesterday? Just for some perspective

It was 70:50 when the ref blew for the free and it was 71:45 when Cluxton struck the ball, so roughly 55 seconds.

The average free kick on goal, as opposed to a quick one out the field, would probably take somewhere between 30 - 40 seconds, when all the arguing, placing of the ball, etc is done.

The ref added on 10 seconds at the end by the way. So he might have blown up 5 - 10 seconds before he should have, but I don't think Kerry were going anywhere in that attack, Dublin had loads of players in their own half of the field, there was no chance of a quick break.

plasmaguy wrote: »

It was 70:50 when the ref blew for the free and it was 71:45 when Cluxton struck the ball, so roughly 55 seconds.

The average free kick on goal, as opposed to a quick one out the field, would probably take somewhere between 30 - 40 seconds, when all the arguing, placing of the ball, etc is done.

The ref added on 10 seconds at the end by the way. So he might have blown up 5 - 10 seconds before he should have, but I don't think Kerry were going anywhere in that attack, Dublin had loads of players in their own half of the field, there was no chance of a quick break.

That's what I was thinking. So Kerry lost out on about 10 seconds then

I'm not sure the tackle is up on youtube, but I've watched it several times from different angles including from another angle in slow motion and there is no doubt it was a free at the end. McMenemen was the man in possession, he tried to go through, Kean's leg was blocking his path and McMenemen tripped over it.

The only real doubt is whether the ref should have allowed advantage, but to be honest, McMenemen was on the ground so there was no advantage.

It was a cut and dried free. Let's be clear, if it was Gooch or Donaghy who was tripped like that, and Kerry got the free, there wouldn't be a word about it from the Kerry supporters, just like there wasn't a word about all the stray Kerry elbows down through the years and efforts to get opposing players sent off, the most recent being Galvan's pathetic attempts to get Aidan O'Shea sent off in the semi final.

The game is over, well done to Dublin, well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Only sinking in now for me, was an absolutely amazing day and amazing finish. Only game of any code that I've been at that compares atmosphere and emotion wise was when Robbie Keane equalised v Germany in WC 2002.

And fair dues to the Kerry team, management and fans, all incredibly gracious in defeat especially given the nature of the defeat, being 4 points up with 7 to go and losing is more the sort of thing I'd expect from Dublin!

Still over the moon, it's been a long time coming, was a privilege to be at it.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Let it go, the better team won, the game in general was played in good spirit and there was none of the schmozzles you'd often see when our lads go up to Pairc Ui Chaoimh; the referee was quite poor and both sides both benefited and suffered from his ineptitude but I don't blame him for Kerry's defeat. Kerry got too relaxed with the end line in sight and Dublin to their credit punished us severely for that.

There was many thing's that could have ultimately swung the game and it is now a case of shoulda coulda. We need to learn from this game and hopefully the lads will not repeat yesterdays failing again.

Once again well done to Dublin and I hope the partys going well up there; I can't imagine what it would be like to wait 16 years for Sam and hopefully it will inspire more and more kids into the GAA so that Kerry and Dublin won't have to wait another 26 years to meet in the final again.

There was a big crowd in Killarney tonight; a subdued affair obviously but win or lose we are proud of Kerry and you can't win em all and we must stand by our teams in the good times and bad, Dublin stood by their team for 16 long years and yesterday were rewarded, this is part of the joys and lows of the GAA and truly something to be proud of.

Comhghairdeas Baile Átha Cliath

Beidh Chiarraí a bheith ar ais!

Advertisement