Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I was cheering on Kerry as being from Kildare living in Dublin I'm never going to shout for the dubs. Nothing against Dublin, I admire their players and I said at the start of the year this All ireland was between Cork and Dublin with the injuries that decimated Cork ending their challenge.

A couple of things I took from the game:

- Kerry should have won as they had the 4 point lead with 10 mins to go and Dublin had reverted to stupid fouling like Cork last year.
    - At the same time Dublin should have been up by 5 points at half time as B Brogan blew a simple free and Alan Brogan missed a one on one pointblank goal chance.
    - Kevin Mcmanamon was the difference between Dublin as All ireland champions and dublin of old. He won the Semi and the Final for Dublin and is a huge weapon to bring off the bench and unlease on a tiring team. How a lad that good can't make the first fifteen shows that this Dublin team have serious depth.
    - Kerry should have got more scores from Donaghy's presence as he dominated O'Carroll. Kerry should have played it more directly.
    - Dublin were favoured by the ref slightly, although the last free Cluxton kicked looked to be a trip in fairness.
    - Donaghy lost a hop ball in the lead up to Dublins winner, it was a good indication of how hungry Dublin were when the game was back in the melting pot in the final 5 mins. Donaghy is 6ft5' and has a background in Basketball, he nearly always wins hopballs.
    - Dublin and Cork are the new order when it comes to GAA, Kerry are probably going to lose 4 defenders over the next 1-2 years and don't seem to have the talent coming through, although someone in Kerry would be better able to answer that. Darragh O'se is also still a hole that Kerry have yet to fill.

Uhm, just an observation. Since you're living, and presumably earning a living / studying in Dublin, shouldn't you have supported the Dubs in the final? I find what you said a little disappointing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

As a Kerry fan, I'd just like to congratulate the Dubs on a great win yesterday - the best team on the day won, no doubt about it! It was a thrilling game, if not of the best standard, and the fact it was so close between the teams for most of the 70 minutes really added to the excitement.

I don't think the ref had much if any impact on the end result; both teams were closely matched, it could have went either way, and the team that played slightly better over the course of the 70 minutes won it. Think Kerry played beneath their usual standards, unfortunate for the players but as said earlier, they don't owe the fans anything at this stage - will be sad to see some of them go!

I was at the Dublin-Kerry finals in '84 and '85 as a very young lad, crawled under the turnstiles and sat on my Dad's knee (with my younger bro on the other knee!) in the lower Hogan on both occasions, missed this year's final, but hope to see some other great tussles between to two rivals in the future - the two true giants of the footballing world!

Finally, although Donaghy is a talented player, he can be a really poor sport - I think he lets himself and the county down with his antics. Maybe he's just so wound up it makes him act like this, but it isn't nice to look at...

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭King Cantona

going to stick my neck on the line here and predict a Dublin win. I think it´ll be close, maybe just the 1 point. It could be a fairly low scoring game with Dublin keeping plenty of men behind the ball and hoping that they can take their scores from free kicks (hopefully Cluxton will keep his nerve this time) and also nick a goal.

Dublin 1-09 Kerry 0-11

For the sanity of the nation, let´s hope D. Connolly doesnt get the winning goal :P

I wrote this a week ago. :eek:

anyone want the lotto numbers??:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Lambretta wrote: »
    Ubelievable game of football and passion from the fans yesterday, great for Irish sporting morale especially after Rugby World cup win.

Credit to both teams and fans.

RTE could consider bring a Dub onto their team of three experts for live match analysis.. maybe someone a little more lighthearted/ a bit younger..more in touch with Dublin people. Why is it always ex Country county players ? Why not bring Ciaran Whelan in for live match commentary/ Kevin Moran,
    John O'Leary etc.. ....

No disrespect but at times it's like listening to three country school teachers giving out about homework - very depressing to listen to at times.Football was great but the commentary was deflating to listen to.

If the GAA/RTE want to market the game, then they need to do something about that RTE panel....

Christ on a bike I have heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

I'm a dub, and am delighted. Feel so proud of our boys.

But what i really liked about this game, was how closely paired both teams were. The low scoring, tight game made it all the more exciting.

I couldn't get over how sporting the game was. Fair enough donnelly was getting a bit firey, and a few of our lads made a good few messy tackles, but no mass brawl, not alot of handbags. It would make ya proud to showcase the game with this as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

whycliff wrote: »
    Christ on a bike I have heard it all now.

He has a good point. I don't mean about bringing on a Dub per se, but they could bloody liven it up a bit. The problem with the panel of Brolly, O'Rourke, and Spillane is that they are three curmudgeonly feckers. They're always arguing and shouting over each other (particularly Brolly) and it gets a bit tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Fantastic achievement and delighted for the team I thought it was a nice touch when they were hopping on Paul Caffrey who was on duty at the game. It really meant soo much for the team as you could see from the celebrations on the picth afterwards. Pat Gilroy was very gracious in victory.

I was at the Final in 1995 and never thought it would be 16 years until we made another.

Heineken Cup in May, Sam Maguire in September....what a year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

watched it in a bar out in the sticks in canada with a crowd of lads from crumlin & kimmage who came out here in the 60s and 70s and had rarely been home since.
    i was supporting kerry (a self confessed abd) but it was amazing to see the emotion from the lads when dublin won.
    they done well to come back and along with kerry, served up a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just regarding MOM, apart from kicking the equaliser, did Nolan honestly deserve to get it? surely there were others who deserved it more?

the men who would have been his direct opponents played fairly well for kerry. indeed, brogan and sheehan were the other 2 nominees and i dont thimk they were the 2 next best players yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Nolan had a super game, made some vital tackles and joined up with the attack often. Well deserved.

Winning team are always going to get it, any number of the Dublin defence could have won it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

kilns wrote: »
    Nolan had a super game, made some vital tackles and joined up with the attack often. Well deserved.

Winning team are always going to get it, any number of the Dublin defence could have won it

Deffo +1

He had a great game i thought. There were many that could have taken it but certainly wouldnt deny him it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Congratulations to Dublin. They dug deep and wanted it more when I thought Kerry had sealed it.

At last a team to justify the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

I am a totally gutted Kerryman with the way we had it with 7 mins to go and then lose. But I have to congratulate Dublin on their win. They were tenacious and never gave up and took their chances when it mattered. And what a fantastic game it was for the excitement and sporting behaviour from both teams. And fair play to Dublin in that they never tried to goad Galvinised when he came on. It just showed how focussed they were on the task at hand. We probably won't be back for a while but I can see Dublin staying at the top for a few years with Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Well, about time I got on here and faced up to the fact that we are once again also rans in the championship.

Firstly. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart to Dublin. Was surrounded by Dubs for the match. Had good banter with them and was great to see such pride in their team at full time. Men were in tears. Jumping up and down. The man beside me hugged me and jumped up and down! It was such a great moment, though I was sick to my stomach to lose that match. It was great for the fans to get a win, and in such circumstances. Well done.

The match. Well it panned out exactly as I expected (Bar Donaghy's appearence at wing forward). Kerry did enough to stay in the game, then turned the screw. And with victory in their grasp, and all the hard work done, Kerry, got complacent, and let Dublin back in the game. I know Kevin McMenaminn personally and this stardom couldn't have fallen on a nicer guy. But it has to be said Kerry made it easy for him for the goal. He ghosted past Declan O'Sullivan, who should have the experience to know to drag him down, and give a point away. Instead Dublin were right back in it. Kerry panicked and gave away 2 points in a row. Donaghy then kicked the score of the game (in my opinion) and I thought we had got out of jail with a draw. But Dublin showed more bottle and came through with the win.

Now the gripes/sour grapes/wewasrobbed bit, which is part of the grieving process if ye must know. First of all I don't blame the dubs or the ref or anyone bar the Kerry team and Officials for the loss (in fact blame may be the wrong word).
    Just a number of things that have crossed my mind about the match.

1. Ger Brennan was blessed not to see the line. 2 unsavoury incidents, leaving Kerry players bleeding.
    2. Ross O'Carroll was lucky not to see the line for kicking Declan O'Sullivan. Declan failed to fire after that, despite a bright opening, and seemed laboured in the 2nd half. (22mins)
    3. So many soft free's against Kerry. Yet some blatent ones missed against Kerry. I know it happens regularly, and thats football. But you'd think that for an All Ireland Final an adequate referee would be appointed. I don't think (and this coming from someone who's only refereed and Cumann na mBunscoil level, so I cant really criticize I suppose) McQuillan was able to handle the pressure of refereeing an All Ireland final under the pressure of a Dublin crowd. The free for picking the ball off the ground towards the end, and the foot trip on Tomás Ó Sé which was missed for Dublins 2nd score particularly made an impact.
    4. Donaghy had a super game... but really got under my skin with his mouthing and pushing opposition players, and acting the maggot really. He needs to cop on, and play football.
    5. Galvin was introduced far too early. I though O'Leary was doing fine, and it felt like Jack was reading from a script and instead of reacting to a need. We then needed fresh legs from the bench, and he refused to bring on Reidy/Scanlon/O'Donaghue/Enright, all whom could have an impact. Galvins introduction on 24 minutes had no positive impact on the side.
    6. Why oh why didn't Declan pull McManaminn to ground?

So many if's buts maybes. I may be slaughtered for this, and as I said, its a stage of the grieving process you have to go through, to whinge about this that and the other.

I really do mean it when I say congratulations to the Dubs. And to all Dubs out there Enjoy it. Savour the Year as Champions. I hope Kerry are back next year and wrestle the crown from ye, but I fear this defeat may set Kerry back a good bit. We're always dangerous, but im afraid we seem to have lost that Killer edge.

Átha Cliath Abú! Ciarraí Abú! Árd Chluiche.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

something i forgot to ask, what happened for the disallowed goal by cooper, i thought the kick out had been taken and then the ref looked over and stopped the play to allow the sub to happen....horrible luck for kerry regardless to have the move stopped as a sub was being made by dublin.

and then the goal came after kerry taking off brosnan and his man got the goal.

you cant make up such bad luck. some may say dublins name was written on the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

something i forgot to ask, what happened for the disallowed goal by cooper, i thought the kick out had been taken and then the ref looked over and stopped the play to allow the sub to happen....horrible luck for kerry regardless to have the move stopped as a sub was being made by dublin.

and then the goal came after kerry taking off brosnan and his man got the goal.

you cant make up such bad luck. some may say dublins name was written on the trophy.

No you just say that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

O'Carroll did not kick Dec O'Sullivan. The two of them were going at each other and when the two of them were heading back to goal O'Carroll gave him a little foot trip, O'Sullivan not the first Kerry player of the day, went down like O'Carroll had took an axe to his leg, it was very poor sportsmanship.

The incident happened right in front of me so I could see clearly what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Well, about time I got on here and faced up to the fact that we are once again also rans in the championship.

Firstly. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart to Dublin. Was surrounded by Dubs for the match. Had good banter with them and was great to see such pride in their team at full time. Men were in tears. Jumping up and down. The man beside me hugged me and jumped up and down! It was such a great moment, though I was sick to my stomach to lose that match. It was great for the fans to get a win, and in such circumstances. Well done.

The match. Well it panned out exactly as I expected (Bar Donaghy's appearence at wing forward). Kerry did enough to stay in the game, then turned the screw. And with victory in their grasp, and all the hard work done, Kerry, got complacent, and let Dublin back in the game. I know Kevin McMenaminn personally and this stardom couldn't have fallen on a nicer guy. But it has to be said Kerry made it easy for him for the goal. He ghosted past Declan O'Sullivan, who should have the experience to know to drag him down, and give a point away. Instead Dublin were right back in it. Kerry panicked and gave away 2 points in a row. Donaghy then kicked the score of the game (in my opinion) and I thought we had got out of jail with a draw. But Dublin showed more bottle and came through with the win.

Now the gripes/sour grapes/wewasrobbed bit, which is part of the grieving process if ye must know. First of all I don't blame the dubs or the ref or anyone bar the Kerry team and Officials for the loss (in fact blame may be the wrong word).
    Just a number of things that have crossed my mind about the match.

1. Ger Brennan was blessed not to see the line. 2 unsavoury incidents, leaving Kerry players bleeding.
    2. Ross O'Carroll was lucky not to see the line for kicking Declan O'Sullivan. Declan failed to fire after that, despite a bright opening, and seemed laboured in the 2nd half. (22mins)
    3. So many soft free's against Kerry. Yet some blatent ones missed against Kerry. I know it happens regularly, and thats football. But you'd think that for an All Ireland Final an adequate referee would be appointed. I don't think (and this coming from someone who's only refereed and Cumann na mBunscoil level, so I cant really criticize I suppose) McQuillan was able to handle the pressure of refereeing an All Ireland final under the pressure of a Dublin crowd. The free for picking the ball off the ground towards the end, and the foot trip on Tomás Ó Sé which was missed for Dublins 2nd score particularly made an impact.
    4. Donaghy had a super game... but really got under my skin with his mouthing and pushing opposition players, and acting the maggot really. He needs to cop on, and play football.
    5. Galvin was introduced far too early. I though O'Leary was doing fine, and it felt like Jack was reading from a script and instead of reacting to a need. We then needed fresh legs from the bench, and he refused to bring on Reidy/Scanlon/O'Donaghue/Enright, all whom could have an impact. Galvins introduction on 24 minutes had no positive impact on the side.
    6. Why oh why didn't Declan pull McManaminn to ground?

So many if's buts maybes. I may be slaughtered for this, and as I said, its a stage of the grieving process you have to go through, to whinge about this that and the other.

I really do mean it when I say congratulations to the Dubs. And to all Dubs out there Enjoy it. Savour the Year as Champions. I hope Kerry are back next year and wrestle the crown from ye, but I fear this defeat may set Kerry back a good bit. We're always dangerous, but im afraid we seem to have lost that Killer edge.

Átha Cliath Abú! Ciarraí Abú! Árd Chluiche.

It's funny how people see things the way they want to, me included.

I would see it as Donaghy should have walked, Declan O Sullivan should have walked for deliberately throwing his elbow and flattening nolan. And as for Ger Brennan, on looking at it again, he stood his ground and sullivan slid into him, it was just unfortunate but I don't think he could avoid it to be honest. Having watched the game again, it was a cracker of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Galtee wrote: »

I would see it as Donaghy should have walked, Declan O Sullivan should have walked for deliberately throwing his elbow and flattening nolan. And as for Ger Brennan, on looking at it again, he stood his ground and sullivan slid into him, it was just unfortunate but I don't think he could avoid it to be honest. Having watched the game again, it was a cracker of a game.
    If your saying Brennan just stood his ground then it means you have to agree that it wasn't a free for Dublin at the end?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It is funny alright. As a neutral I seen it as ger standing his ground alright, albeit with a rasied arm. Could have got the line. Decision could have went either ways.

No way should Declan O'Sullivan have walked. He put back his harm and caught Noal with his forearm, how was he to know the location of Nolans head behind him.

Donaghy was handbags, never a sending off offence.

Take off your blue tinted glasses and enjoy your win. Its over now!!!

• Advertisement

It is funny alright. As a neutral I seen it as ger standing his ground alright, albeit with a rasied arm. Could have got the line. Decision could have went either ways.

No way should Declan O'Sullivan have walked. He put back his harm and caught Noal with his forearm, how was he to know the location of Nolans head behind him.

Donaghy was handbags, never a sending off offence.

Take off your blue tinted glasses and enjoy your win. Its over now!!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?replay,3055332,3055332,flash,

Here's the match for all to see, go to the 15th minute and you'll see whether or not O Sullivan should have walked.
    Could have got the line. Decision could have went either ways.
    Same goes for donaghy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

I really thought Donaghy was a disgrace yesterday. His trash-talking and goading of the Dublin players as well as his diving and sly digs off the ball really showed him in a poor light.
    Whatever little respect I had for him is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭largepants

So I guess largepants was right after all by stating a while back that that Dubs should be favourites. :p

Anyway congrats to the Dubs yesterday. They played the full 73/74 minutes whereas Kerry didn't. I found myself getting caught up in the moment when Cluxtons free went over. However I did think that the Dubs got a free soft frees.

Now its up to the rest of us 'to knock them off their f***** perch'. Enjoy the celebrations lads - 16 yrs is a long time. Think how we feel after 84 long years next year. :(

kmart6 wrote: »
    If your saying Brennan just stood his ground then it means you have to agree that it wasn't a free for Dublin at the end?!

How is it the same thing? O Sullivan slid in on Brennan, he was going to ground and Brennan stood in front of him. With regard to the free in injury time it was a trailing leg and 9/10 will get the free, you can have no complaints.

lukin wrote: »
    I really thought Donaghy was a disgrace yesterday. His trash-talking and goading of the Dublin players as well as his diving and sly digs off the ball really showed him in a poor light.
    The Dub's have been the main 'goaders' of opposition in the championship for the last several years! Look at their carry on with pointing to the scoreboard during games etc!

As for sly digs....its present in every game...and I'm pretty sure there would have been an instance where there was as sly dig from a Dublin player at some stage!

lukin wrote: »

I reckon donaghy knew all along they were going to get beaten and decided to try and get in the frame for a nomination for an oscar next year. He could win it too. :)

How is it the same thing? O Sullivan slid in on Brennan, he was going to ground and Brennan stood in front of him. With regard to the free in injury time it was a trailing leg and 9/10 will get the free, you can have no complaints.
    So Brennan always stands his ground by leaning into people with his elbow?!

The free at the end, BJK stood his ground and the Dublin player ran at him and tripped over his leg! He was not tripped deliberately!

Everyone of The Sunday Game panelists said it wasn't a free!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Everyone of The Sunday Game panelists said it wasn't a free!

Then it must be true. :pac: I stand corrected.

Awww look at you trying to be condescending!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Yes yes yes, here I am sucking lemons. I've been going to Croke Park for the last ten years when the Dublin fans were at home saying their Hail Martys. I thought he was actually going to get down on his knees at the full time whistle and start sucking the Dublin players off.

The better team did NOT win yesterday. How Could Dublin be legitimate winners. They lived off scraps. And fair dues to them for taking their scores when they came. One can only applaud them. Brogan had two points from play- Gooch had 6. Donaghy kicked the score of the game. Have a look at the free count.

You cannot stand back and say the best team won.

Midfield- Kerry.
    Backs- Kerry
    Forwards- Kerry.

Scoreboard- Dublin
    All Ireland- Dublin

Advertisement