Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

kmart6 wrote: »
    Awww look at you trying to be condescending!

You can never let anything go can you. You always have to have the last word. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

So Brennan always stands his ground by leaning into people with his elbow?!

The free at the end, BJK stood his ground and the Dublin player ran at him and tripped over his leg! He was not tripped deliberately!

Everyone of The Sunday Game panelists said it wasn't a free!

Yeah, and Dublin should have had a penalty at the start of the second half for a Kerry defender handling the ball on the ground, but they didn't. That's what happens in games. Refs aren't perfect.

Dublin are deserved champions for 2011.

That's the way it is, that's it - it's over.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

whycliff wrote: »
    It is funny alright. As a neutral I seen it as ger standing his ground alright, albeit with a rasied arm. Could have got the line. Decision could have went either ways.

No way should Declan O'Sullivan have walked. He put back his harm and caught Noal with his forearm, how was he to know the location of Nolans head behind him.

Donaghy was handbags, never a sending off offence.

Take off your blue tinted glasses and enjoy your win. Its over now!!!

Donaghy punched O'Sullivan in the first half, McCauley in the second, threw an elbow at McCauley also. Off the ball he charged in to O'Carroll in front of the ref, Nolan in front on the ref and Brennan twice, as well as the constant blocking of every free and kick out from being taken.

He was by far the dirtiest player on show, and should never have been on the pitch to get the points he got in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

kilns wrote: »
    O'Carroll did not kick Dec O'Sullivan. The two of them were going at each other and when the two of them were heading back to goal O'Carroll gave him a little foot trip, O'Sullivan not the first Kerry player of the day, went down like O'Carroll had took an axe to his leg, it was very poor sportsmanship.

The incident happened right in front of me so I could see clearly what happened.
    Well It happened in front of me also and the Replay showed, it was a deliberate Kick on his ankle. Can't see how you can call it a trip, He drew back and let fly. If he just stuck his leg out you could call it a clip, but he drew on him. Its a Red Card. I know we're getting into this diffrence between a strike and a push, or a trip and a kick, but you can't deny that it effected Declan later in the game.

As for Donaghy, you are right he may have eventually walked, but he partook in no incident that deserved a straight red.

I thought at the time Ger Brennan made the foul, but after seeing the Sunday Game, it seemed that he had clear intent in leading with the elbow.

Im glad to hear other opinions on this even if they differ to my own.
    What was the general concensus on the Referee? Obviously being on the losing side I felt we were hard done by.

The pick off the ground where there was clearly no hands near the ball, Tomás being tripped for Dublins 2nd point while coming out, and the injury time really seemed ridiculous. It took Cluxton almost 2 minutes to take that last kick. Surely McQuillan should have added at least 30 seconds more onto the time. Kerry had the ball and were building a final attack. At the time I was certain Kerry would get another oppertunity! My heart sank on hearing the whistle!

No matter how many finals you see, its never easy to lose, especially like that!

So Brennan always stands his ground by leaning into people with his elbow?!

The free at the end, BJK stood his ground and the Dublin player ran at him and tripped over his leg! He was not tripped deliberately!

Everyone of The Sunday Game panelists said it wasn't a free!

No,McStay said it was dubious, probably a free but shouldn't have been given as it was too late in the game to give a 'soft' free. Which is rubbish.

Spillane of course said it wasn't because BJK got himself in a bad position so shouldnt be penalised for it! Whelan wasn't asked for an opinion.

Dessie Dolan was then asked and thought it was a free.

Talk about trying to rewrite history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah, and Dublin should have had a penalty at the start of the second half for a Kerry defender handling the ball on the ground, but they didn't. That's what happens in games. Refs aren't perfect.

Dublin are deserved champions for 2011.

That's the way it is, that's it - it's over.
    Learn the rules, handling the ball on the ground isn't a penalty. 13m free. Whatever incident you are referring to?

DDC1990 wrote: »
    It took Cluxton almost 2 minutes to take that last kick. Surely McQuillan should have added at least 30 seconds
    And you think that is the basis for adding 30secs to the injury time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Christ, the way some posters go on about this lad should have been sent off or another should have been sent off is really embarrassing. I really hope ye are not referees or underage coaches the way ye go on.

Yesterday both teams came out to play football and while there was a spot of handbags here and there the referee didn't pay it much heed as it was simply not serious enough. Ger Brennan was rightly yellowed for raising his arm as O'sullivan slipped into him but to suggest he should have got red is a joke.

The red card is the ultimate sanction for players who either persisently foul or who do one act so out of bounds within the rules of the game that they no longer deserve to participate in the game (a flying elbow, a bad clothesline tackle, a deliberate punch). That is what the red card is there for, not a push to the face or a little elbow to the ribs.

Its a man's game, I doubt whether a lot of the posters here have played the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It took Cluxton almost 2 minutes to take that last kick.

Curiosity got the better of me and I just watched it back on RTE player to see exactly how long it took. The free was awarded at 70.55 (ish) and Cluxton struck the ball back into play at 71.50 (ish).

Learn the rules, handling the ball on the ground isn't a penalty. 13m free. Whatever incident you are referring to?

What rule book are you reading? Any foul within the small rectangle is a penalty.
    2.2 After a foul, play is restarted by a free kick or a throw-in where the foul(s) occurred.

EXCEPTIONS

(i) In the case of fouls by a defending player within the rectangles, the following shall apply:

A penalty kick shall be awarded for an Aggressive Foul within the large rectangle or any foul within the small rectangle.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    Curiosity got the better of me and I just watched it back on RTE player to see exactly how long it took. The free was awarded at 70.55 (ish) and Cluxton struck the ball back into play at 70.50 (ish).

Yep. free was kicked at 71:51, no 2 minutes.

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

re the 13 meter free, there was no handling on the ground, that is where the problem is or grieveance from kerry.

the ball was blocked by brosnan and he then cleared it with his leg, which the ref thought was a hand.

another gift dublin got, the ball was in possession of kerry and it was an attack that was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

And then Kerry should have had one when Donaghy's shot was blocked!

I have no issue with Dublin being Champions because they did well to come back from 4 points down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Anyone else think the ref should have given a hop ball when Cluxton was strolling up the pitch?? If Sheehan, Brogan or Gooch took that long to take a free, it would be a hop ball, don't see why Cluxton should be given such preferential treatment to be allowed 62 seconds to take a free... Not playing additional injury time after that was a terrible decision.

Kerry have no one but themselves to blame for throwing it away yesterday but the ref also had a role to play, he made some very strange decisions which over the 70 minutes, probably favoured Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

As a neutral Kerry getting fewer decisions than Dublin was their own fault.

Everytime I saw O'sullivan, Gooch or Donaghy near the ref they were giving him dogs abuse.

Dublin on the other hand never challenged the referee.

Refs are normal human beings that don't like moaners or guys constantly speaking back to them hence McQuillan was always likely to give the Dubs more than their fair share of decisions.

Jack O'connor should have a word with a few of their players and tell then to be nice to the ref, you'll normally find it works better.

re the 13 meter free, there was no handling on the ground, that is where the problem is or grieveance from kerry.

the ball was blocked by brosnan and he then cleared it with his leg, which the ref thought was a hand.

another gift dublin got, the ball was in possession of kerry and it was an attack that was stopped.

Well then you can give it up now, it was handled on the ground and it was within the small rectangle, Kerry were let away with it by the ref. See pic below. Thanks to DodgyKeeper.

dublin-v-kerry32.jpg
    Some pictures of the game here

Epic game!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That isn't exactly proof considering his hands aren't touching the ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

No- I'd go as far to say I am arrogant.

Teams like this come along once in a lifetime. Might as well enjoy it.

The difference is watching the arrogance of the Media Pundits when Dublin have won Fu*k All.

The difference is watching Thomas O'Shea, Galvin, and other Kerry players get singled out and banned (rightly imo) but incidents like Mayo's players openly striking Kerry players not being banned. Galvin missing a season for hitting a ref's notebook and a Cavan player not being disciplined when he struck a referree.

Dublin get worked into a orgasmic frenzy coming up to big games in croke park and then Choke.

This will be the biggest Anti-Climax of them all. The Dublin players will love the attention for the three weeks, the replaying of the 77 All Ireland Semi Final, the replaying of the 95 Win, the endless hyperbole from Person's who know sfa about the game. The fair weather fans turning up and expecting a Dublin Victory because............well the Herald said so,

And the utter dejection when Kerry click in Croke Park in September and wash Dublin away. I can almost taste the ink from the Monday Press.

Arrogant. Damn right I am. And Proud of it. Ciarrai Abu.

In the light of Mr Incognito's posts this morning, this post requires revisitation.

Ah ffs, are you really claiming there is a hand shaped hole in the ball so his right hand isn't lying on top of the ball? I'm sure someone can get the Sunday game shot from the front angle to prove it ever more for you.

In fact

6556c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Maybe he can change his username From Mr Incognito to Mr arrogant,

Its sad to see some people here taking Dublins win so bad,its a game ,its a sport,life will & does go on,I am sure your teams will be out with force again next year,meanwhile let us dubs have our party.we 100% deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

realies wrote: »
    let us dubs have our party.we 100% deserve it.

Well get in here. Its started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Well get in here. Its started!

:D Iam there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

realies wrote: »
    Maybe he can change his username From Mr Incognito to Mr arrogant,

Its sad to see some people here taking Dublins win so bad,its a game ,its a sport,life will & does go on,I am sure your teams will be out with force again next year,meanwhile let us dubs have our party.we 100% deserve it.

In fairness, the response from people like Brain Stroking, Cill Dara Abu, Lemlin and Dark Knight must be commended. I would have been critical of the nature of some of their postings before, but they have shown true sportsmanship, and have been magnanimous in their goodwill, and it is great to see that they will put rivelry aside to commend the Dubs.

Mr Incognito is a very exclusive type of poster(although there are one or two who were posting furiously about the match until around the 63min) who sprayed arrogance all around this thread, and when it was uncovered as an unfounded arrogance, he resorts to balming everybody and everything. He could take a leaf out of some of the bigger minded posters on this board, who have shot up in my estimation as a result of yesterday's events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

http://www.rte.ie/live/

Homecoming on live now

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

It was hilarious earlier on.. (I think) Des Cahill obviously had a mic in his hand.. you could hear him talking, cursing, saying he had a few drinks.

To be fair i dont begrudge Dublin the win and i hope they enjoy the celebrations but why has the national broadcaster decided to show their homecoming live when other counties who have achieved so much recently such as Kilkenny or Kerry barely get a few seconds on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Its just on the website. Its not RTE 1 or 2

Ah will you just stop it now! He handled it on the ground inside the rectangle - it was clearly a penalty and not awarded. We all saw it live in any case!

But you know what? I actually don't care. I only raised that because of the cribbing from some on here regarding the ref's performance. He wasn't the greatest, and he wasn't the worst, but by some accounts all he was short of doing was strolling around the park wearing a Dublin jersey.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of this. There's always someone who just can't take a defeat or wants to inject their bile and venom into what should be a happy ocassion.

Every time Dublin won this year we have had to put up with bull about how we're a poor team, or how our opposition is over the hill - or how the ref was this or that. It's pathetic. Dublin have only lost one competitive game all year long. One.

To those of you spewing your vitriol I say this - cultivate some grace. It goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The buzz around the city today is fantastic (or maybe thats the smell of drink :pac:). This is great for the game, both in the capital and overall. Delighted for them.

Advertisement