Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ft9 wrote: »
    Anyone think Des Cahill had a few drinks before presenting The Sunday Game tonight?

no, he was just as dreadful as always, long pauses, stupid questions, same old Des.

Sunday Game was a joke, even Spilanne made a point of saying the ref gave easy frees to both sides, they then show a clip of 6 or 7 'easy' frees all of which are ones given to dublin, for those of us at the game or who watched it, only the most myopic of fans would say the referee was only giving these decisions to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

keps wrote: »
    I was sitting beside a Kerry father and his 2 sons - he was about 43ish and they were say 7 and 9.

Lovely people.

But when Kerry went 4 points up he said 'it's all over - let's go'.

And so they got up and left-- him in the lead and his two kids trapsing after him a bit bewildered.

I just find it hard to understand that mentality -maybe they were rushing for a train or something?
    While there's no doubt Kerry are the greatest team ever to master the game of gaelic football their fans are easily the most unsporting fans in the country. Yesterday evening on Kerry radio was laughable to say the least! They came out with the comment that Dublin were deserving champions yet proceeded to complain about the ref and poor decisions against them for the rest of the evening!

While there's no doubt Kerry people love their football (mind you their wasn't many of them in Croker!) their very blinkered in their views and can only see things 1 way in their favour! Some of the messages posted here by the Kerry fans congratulating Dublin are well let's just say just printed for the sake of it IMO! You have to wonder about Kerry fans calling for Jack O'Connor's head,really that's completely ridiculous!

As regards Kerry fans leaving Croker early that's no surprise,like the whole county they dismissed Dublin as basically cannon fodder and thought it was just a matter of turning up to collect Sam! Kerry a great footballing county but a very unsporting one sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

dartbhoy wrote: »
    While there's no doubt Kerry are the greatest team ever to master the game of gaelic football their fans are easily the most unsporting fans in the country. Yesterday evening on Kerry radio was laughable to say the least! They came out with the comment that Dublin were deserving champions yet proceeded to complain about the ref and poor decisions against them for the rest of the evening!

Go away.

Seriously. Just go away.

It was inevitable you'd wheel in with this stuff (you always do).

No one I know, no one I was at the match with yesterday felt hard done by by the ref. Or felt that Dublin didn't deserve to win. Or were calling for Jack O'Connor's head. Or dismissed Dublin as 'cannon fodder' beforehand (actually, there was a very unsettled feeling beforehand. More than one person commented that it felt like Tyrone in 08. Sort of like walking into an ambush).

Anyway, don't let any of this hold you back.

Do you want me to paint a nice big stereotypical picture for you? All the Kerry fans came up eating 'hang sangwitches' and chanting how they were the best team in the whole of Oirland and if any other team won it it was a disgusting sacrilege to the beautiful game.

They're obviously massively mean and tight so they hadn't been to any other games. They knew that Kerry would beat Dublin by maybe 7 or 8 goals and around 50 points. They hoped that Paul Galvin would secretly gouge the eyes of any Dublin who looked at him and were effusive that this Kerry team were up there with any previous great Kerry team.

Afterwards, robbed by bribed referees and the fact that the goals Kerry were playing into looked suspiciously narrow compared to Dublin's (which would explain the wides), they left Croker seething.

Then they grumbled and shouted insults at real Dubs on the way out and were incredibly ungracious.

blah blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Kerry fans are poor losers. They cant handle defeat.. Dublin true champions oh yeah.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Congrats to Dublin, great win and come back in the last few minutes of the game. Cluxton showed nerves of steel kicking over that point at the end. Just goes to show you what a good kicking routine will do for you when you kick off the ground. You might just see a few more keepers taking similar kicks in the coming years.

Having had their fair share of heartbreak over the years, Dublin deserve their day in the sun. Hard luck to Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Well done to Dublin, good to see the best two teams in the history of football back again. here`s to more, hope they dont do a cork on it and make it back next year to the final:o. Hope it brings on football in Dublin and brings plenty more clashes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

doovdela wrote: »
    Very exciting and thrilling match, was at the edge of my seat, heart thumping, thought I fall off the couch! It was still any ones game, Kerry still could have won! It was that goal that won it for Dublin and was only a point between them. Kerry did us proud, both teams played well so was 50/50. You win some and loose some.

Dublin deserved to win but think their winning chances be outnumbered yet. Can they top the number of All Ireland Wins that Kerry have achieved there is no other team that can top them other than Cork perhaps!? I still think Kerry were the better team today but Dublin did well. They came back with all guns blazing after the last clash where Kerry thrashed them. Cooper and Darren did us proud for Kerry and the Brogan brothers did Dublin proud! If only there were a few minutes left of the clock we nearly had it in the bag but Dublin came back and fought to the death.

Dublin could do very well in the next few years but still think that Kerry aren't out of the woods yet, there's still life in the old dogs yet! They have a good combination of a young and older vibrant team along with the added class, experience and skill that is behind them! I wouldn't write Kerry off just yet! People said that a few years ago and we still managed to get through to an All Ireland without having to go through the back door! It's a good achievement by all means for Kerry to have done that this year! Ciarraí Abú!

But they still have not won anything since Darragh O Se retired, plus I'd expect another couple of retirements this year, namely Tomas O Se, Tom Sullivan, Eoin Brosnan and Aidan O' Mahoney.

I don't see anyone in Kerry to replace them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Amazing game, and I have to say I was delighted for Dublin winning it.
    Took amazing bottle and reserve.

One thing I will say, thought the reffing performance was abysmal.
    Some awfully obvious decisions throughout, and it was poor for a showpiece final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I thought one of the most moving moments yesterday was the crowds reception for members of the FDNY ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Great match, great teams, great sport.
    Proud to be an Irishman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Maybe the hoopla doesnt interest him. Inner satisfaction and a sense of achievement is obviously more important to him. Better he shies away from being carried on people's shoulders than shying away from high pressure last minute kicks

He was a minute taking the kick which i pointed out to the girlfriend as a similar thing happened in the Donegal game. The free was awarded some time between 70:30 and 71:00. The ball was sent over around the 72 min mark. I thought the ref would give Kerry a chance for one last attack but he didnt. Incorrect decision but i thought the ref was very poor today (gave soft frees and bad calls for both teams).

Highlighted the bit which made me laugh. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

bamboozle wrote: »
    and what did they have to show for it? 2 points from play in the first half and in second half they were more intent on playing the ball around the middle of the park than feeding it in to the full forward line who were capable of scoring.

For all their posession Kerry had very little output, credit has to go to the DUblin defence for the way they played as a unit.

I agree. You are taking my quote out of context; I replied to someone who said Dublin were better for large chunks of the game. They were not....They were better for some periods of the game, and capitalised slightly more than Kerry did (By scoring 1 point more).
    I thought one of the most moving moments yesterday was the crowds reception for members of the FDNY ..

Whats the FDNY?
    I was sitting beside a Kerry father and his 2 sons - he was about 43ish and they were say 7 and 9.

Lovely people.

But when Kerry went 4 points up he said 'it's all over - let's go'.

And so they got up and left-- him in the lead and his two kids trapsing after him a bit bewildered.

I just find it hard to understand that mentality -maybe they were rushing for a train or something?

Its not hard to catch a train if its a special match train after a match; Trains will give you plenty of time to make it....I'd say he felt like a right pleb when he saw final result....Or maybe he watched the final 5 minutes from the aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Where to start.

Firstly- the better team lost. I had my head in my hands as soon as I took my seat and saw the programme and saw McQuillan was ref- he is utterly awful. Even if you don't agree he was biased you can hopefully agree he was pathetic. My favourite retarded decision of the day was awarding Dublin a free in from 10 yards after Brosnan kicked the ball off the turf with gesticulations that he handled it- If he handled it it should have been a penalty. Awful stuff.

Kerry won practically every midfield kick out, created more chances, took better scores and scored from distance.

Dublin had 1-12. They also had 6 points from frees.

Kerry hat 1-11 They had 4 points from frees- All in the second half.

Kerry did not get ONE free inside 50 yards in the first half. And not due to Dublin's defence, which was excellent all day, but due to the ref refusing to call anything at all. Dublin should have had at least two men sent off yesterday but the ref bottled it. Declan O Sullivan gave away the handpass that lead to the goal but the poor lad was laid out clean with a face to face elbow to the head and that was only a yellow apparantly.

Brogan, so called player of the year kicked 2 points from play and was Dublin's top scorer. Dublin's tactic in the second half when Kerry were dominant was put the head down and run into a tackle and the ref would blow for a free. Useless.

I am hurt and ashamed when a useless scrag of a ref like this can decide the Final. These players sacrifice everything for the game- It is not Dublin's fault- they took their chances when it was given to them and gladly, and fair dues to them- they had the bottle and the nerve to come back but a lot of the Dublin supporters will look at that game and know that Kerry were robbed plain and simple.

Dublin will be there for the next 6-7 years, players like Thomas O Shea deserved to retire with dignity that their play deserved without some clown from Cavan gifting Dublin scores and refusing to take any sanctions against strikes to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Incognito!

Nobody should justify your crap with a response!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As a Kerryman I'm disappointed, but Dublin really deserved it. Kerry made lots of poor mistakes and it really was unforgivable to give up a 4 point lead (that goal really stuck the knife in).

Before the game I predicted a 1-2 point game either way, obviously preferring Kerry. The focus of the Dublin team has completely changed in two short years, an amazing transformation! Well done!

All the talk about Kerry's reaction to losing - I guess you get every type of person, some gracious, some not so much. I was p*ssed off though at the attitude of the bar staff in the pub in Listowel where I watched the game. Literally a few seconds after the whistle went they switched over to the stupid Man Utd vs. Chelsea game. I really wanted to see all the celebrations in full, bad form, bad form.

I reckon now that Kerry will decline now for a few years, hopefully it won't be too long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Where to start.

Firstly- the better team lost. I had my head in my hands as soon as I took my seat and saw the programme and saw McQuillan was ref- he is utterly awful. Even if you don't agree he was biased you can hopefully agree he was pathetic. My favourite retarded decision of the day was awarding Dublin a free in from 10 yards after Brosnan kicked the ball off the turf with gesticulations that he handled it- If he handled it it should have been a penalty. Awful stuff.

Kerry won practically every midfield kick out, created more chances, took better scores and scored from distance.

Kerry did not get ONE free inside 50 yards in the first half. And not due to Dublin's defence, which was excellent all day, but due to the ref refusing to call anything at all. Dublin should have had at least two men sent off yesterday but the ref bottled it. Declan O Sullivan gave away the handpass that lead to the goal but the poor lad was laid out clean with a face to face elbow to the head and that was only a yellow apparantly.

Brogan, so called player of the year kicked 2 points from play and was Dublin's top scorer. Dublin's tactic in the second half when Kerry were dominant was put the head down and run into a tackle and the ref would blow for a free. Useless.

I am hurt and ashamed when a useless scrag of a ref like this can decide the Final. These players sacrifice everything for the game- It is not Dublin's fault- they took their chances when it was given to them and gladly, and fair dues to them- they had the bottle and the nerve to come back but a lot of the Dublin supporters will look at that game and know that Kerry were robbed plain and simple.

Dublin will be there for the next 6-7 years, players like Thomas O Shea deserved to retire with dignity that their play deserved without some clown from Cavan gifting Dublin scores and refusing to take any sanctions against strikes to the head.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I agree. You are taking my quote out of context; I replied to someone who said Dublin were better for large chunks of the game. They were not....They were better for some periods of the game, and capitalised slightly more than Kerry did (By scoring 1 point more).

Whats the FDNY?

Its not hard to catch a train if its a special match train after a match; Trains will give you plenty of time to make it....I'd say he felt like a right pleb when he saw final result....Or maybe he watched the final 5 minutes from the aisle.

FDNY = Fire Department New York

I would say he left because he believed it to be a foregone conclusion and kerry had it in the bag..............how wrong he was :pac:

Was great to see pillar celebrating with the lads, though it must be bittersweet at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Where to start.

I suspect this is a wind up message, it has to be, there's no other logical reason for it. If anyone should have walked it was ciaran donnaghy. I'm all for a tough match but he was downright dirty not to mentin is theatrics off the Ger brennan shove, disgraceful. As for the ref, there's no question but he made bad decisions, on both sides, most refs usually do and they normally even themselves out over the course of the game and I think in this game they did. To give a synopsis of the game I would say Kerry were dominant for 10 mins in the first half and 15 mins of the second half, Dublin were dominant for 10 mins of the first half and 10 mins in the second half, other than that I thought it was a good ol fashioned ding dong battle which could have gone either way and I'm just delighted that Dublin came out on the right side of it. Up the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kilns wrote: »
    Incognito!

Nobody should justify your crap with a response!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

i think its agreed by all that the ref was the poorest in a long long time yesterday. when a team loses a game by point, to a dubious free in injury time, of course the finger is going to be pointed.

draw would have been the right result yesterday, nobody deserved to lose it and another day, with a better ref would have been appropriate. sadly that wasnt to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭spear thrower

Where to start.

Jesus them grapes must have a very sour taste Incognito!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would also like to ask those cork posters who seem determined to put the boot into Kerry to leave it out. Kerry dont need it and Dublin dont want it.

Where were ye yesterday? At home putting ketchup on the chip on your shoulder.

Kerry are not done, I am not a big fan of GAA but I know sport and where a sport is supported from the ages of 6 up, you will always have a stream of great players. Its either that or Kilkenny must have a mountain of Viagra for their 87 year old hurlers.

Boys in Kerry are born with a ball in their hand and grow up watching their county dominate the game. You just cant beat that.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

As a long suffering Dublin supporter yesterday was fantastic. One thing I have to comment on was after the game, the Kerry supporters around me were very gracious in defeat. Hats off to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The amount of trolls on here is hilarious. Better team on the day won.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There's a great photo in page 3 of the examiners championship supplement this morning showing Marc O Sé offering the match ball to Stephen Cluxton after the game.

Very sporting of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fishsticks

I suspect this is a wind up message, it has to be, there's no other logical reason for it. If anyone should have walked it was ciaran donnaghy. I'm all for a tough match but he was downright dirty not to mentin is theatrics off the Ger brennan shove, disgraceful. As for the ref, there's no question but he made bad decisions, on both sides, most refs usually do and they normally even themselves out over the course of the game and I think in this game they did. To give a synopsis of the game I would say Kerry were dominant for 10 mins in the first half and 15 mins of the second half, Dublin were dominant for 10 mins of the first half and 10 mins in the second half, other than that I thought it was a good ol fashioned ding dong battle which could have gone either way and I'm just delighted that Dublin came out on the right side of it. Up the Dubs.

+1

Totally agree on the Kieran Donaghy statement, played real dirty throughout and then diving to the ground over the slightest touch. There is no room for diving in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Definition of Irony?
    Completely biased view of the ref...
    Never argue with Stupidity, It will drag you down to its level and beat you by experience.

Thats some signature ya have there!

I'm so very happy that Dublin won - it's tough on the Kerry lads, especially Cooper. But they can hold their heads high - both sides took no prisoners, and yet the game overall was very sporting.

The ref is coming in for some criticism. I agree he made some poor calls - albeit easy to see when you have several camera angles and the benefit of a couch and replays!

Should more additional time have been played? Would some be complaining that he played for a draw if he had? Why was Doneghy actively trying to delay Dublin's kickout and free just two minutes before? (In fact he frustrated the Dubs enough to get a throw up from a clear free)

What would have happened either way? We can point to decisions both ways - I think the ref didn't give every soft free he could have. He made some calls, and some are questionable. Such is life.

If Dublin lost I would have plenty of 'what if's' to bore you with, and you'd rightly tell me where to shove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Megalolz at the Kerry postings here. Definite free in injury time and Donaghy jumping up with his hands outstretched seven yards from Cluxtons kick made it all the sweeter. Would have been a re-take if missed anyway.

By God, it'll be impossible to top yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

In defence of Incognito, he is just a wind up merchant who doesnt really have a clue about the game

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Where to start.

Some interesting analysis ther Mr. Incognito.

A couple of points

1. I watched the game on TV and they did mention that the ref seemed to be giving more of the 50/50 decisions to Dublin

2. I agree that one Dublin player should have been sent off, I can't remember his name but he was on a yellow and he pushed his hand in the face of Donaghey late in the game when he had already got a free.
    But it made no difference beacuse the free was turned into a hop ball which Dublin won anyway and went on to score from.

3. If you need a scapegoats try these
    Jack O' Connor.
    Why did he bring Galvin on so early?, was it panic ?.
    Yesterday told us that Galvin is a shadow of his 2009 self, he did not even have 50mins in him yesterday. Had he been kept in reserve until 20 mins to go he would have had a much bigger impact in stopping the Dublin fightback.

BJ Kean
    What is he doing on the field at an All ireland final?, he was useless, but then again Kerry do not have a bench.

Killan Young
    Had a chance to score a point late in the game down the left hand side but decided to play it back and nothing became of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Where to start.

Incognito, as ive suspected for a while you should stick to taxing affairs they seem to better suit you. Ive also believed for some time that you have an insanity an insanity so profound that you would come up with such a post.

I nearly laughed off my office chair reading that drivel, and one can only assume you had venom on your finger tips when you stamped it into your keys.

Advertisement