Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Not pultizer but these are also good...

World Press Photo Archive

some galleries

one of irish interest, this won third place, 12 pictures of travellers in clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

They don't all match up :confused:

There are two photography prizes awarded each year - Spot News Photography & Feature Photography. The list on Pulitzer Prize website is of the Feature Photography winners, but the photographs on the other link is a mixture of both.

The Spot News list...

http://www.pulitzer.org/bycat/Spot-News-Photography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Dear God is the whole world gone fricken nuts!?!?!?!

i just looked through this whole thread.all of it.

the world IS ****ing nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Those pulitzer photographs are amazing and frustrating! As I was trying to match the back story against the photo's listed year but they appear to be out of sync :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

tumblr_l7bampynM51qzy0kyo1_500.jpg

Amazing how a puppet can convey so much emotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Sorry is some of these have been posted already! These are some pics that came to mind when reading through this thread:

Thích Quảng Đức, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, burning himself to death in Saigon in 1963. (Was used as the album cover for Rage Against the machine's debut album.)
    01.thich-quang-duc.jpg

Mike Tyson bites off Evander Holyfields ear.
    tyson-wideweb-470x3640.jpg

Miss Monroe's iconic pose
    z213577661.jpg

US Troops land at Omaha Beach, D-Day, June 6 1944
    dday-omaha-beach-army-landing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

Rebels deface an image of the dictator

libyan-rebel-fighters-from-tripoli-brigade-deface-a-portrait-of-libyan-dictator-moammar-gadhafi-pic-ap-784122682.jpg

Rebels charge through Tripoli
    Rebel-fighters-drive-thro-019.jpg

And an interesting one, taken at the 2010 Arab African summit:
    Screen-shot-2011-08-22-at-09.10.13.png?f22064

(Front row L-R) Tunisia's Ben Ali, Yemen's Saleh, Libya's Gaddafi and Egypt's Mubarak. One year on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Jon_Hawkeye.JPG

The picture shows Petty Officer 1st Class Jon Tumilson's loyal dog Hawkeye lying by the soldier’s casket where he refused to leave. Tumilson (35) was one of the 30 American special operation troops killed earlier this month when a helicopter was downed in Afghanistan. The photo was taken by Tumilson’s cousin, Lisa Pembleton, who wrote on Twitter that she “felt compelled to take one photo to share with family members that couldn’t make it or couldn’t see what I could from the aisle.”

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Screen-shot-2011-08-22-at-09.10.13.png?f22064

Say what you like about Gadaffi - he's one hip dude! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

A day after his resignation as apple CEO, this picture is evident as to why exactly:

Steve-Jobs-looking-ill.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The dress looks a bit photoshopped though. Also, it's a dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Eoin wrote: »
    The dress looks a bit photoshopped though. Also, it's a dress.

His neck is jagged on the left. The veins dont line up. Complete fake

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

IMG_0693.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Grimebox wrote: »
    His neck is jagged on the left. The veins dont line up. Complete fake
    I don't think so. Nobody seriously respects the daily mail but I don't think they'd go as far as publishing a photoshop.

Also apparently he's wearing shorts and a tee shirt, you just can't see it clearly because of the colours

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031100/Gaunt-frail-cancer-battle-takes-toll-Steve-Jobs-picture-left-Apple.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Reuters reported this too

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/26/apple-idUSN1E77P1XZ20110826

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that the photograph is real... apparently Steve Jobs hadn't been out in public for two months prior to that photograph, a lot can happen with cancer in two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

later10 wrote: »
    I don't think so. Nobody seriously respects the daily mail but I don't think they'd go as far as publishing a photoshop.

Also apparently he's wearing shorts and a tee shirt, you just can't see it clearly because of the colours

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031100/Gaunt-frail-cancer-battle-takes-toll-Steve-Jobs-picture-left-Apple.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Reuters reported this too

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/26/apple-idUSN1E77P1XZ20110826

Well it appeared first on TMZ so you can understand my scepticism.

After a bit of googling, the internet seems to agree that its probably real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

A Libyan man walks among what remains of 53 fellow Libyans. Executed and burned to death by Gaddafi Loyalists.

0004ed31-640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Let's take this back a few years.

a9d9cdd9dbb89b4c_landing.jpeg?w=467&h=600

This picture, taken by George Strock on Buna Beach in Papua New Guinea in 1943, is now considered a "war classic" and was printed by LIFE Magazine to do exactly what this thread is about: Shock. The Roosevelt government was convinced that Americans had grown too complacent about the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Have you notice how much this photo looks like one of the Passion Paintings in the Cisteen Chapel

I reckon that copper's saying; " Fuck off, Jesus! " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

5 New Yorkers sit talking while their city is under attack behind them.

Young-people-chat-as-the--005.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

that's a fake if I ever saw one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Nope, here's an article about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/02/911-photo-thomas-hoepker-meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

apparently it's real (surprised me too)
    http://friendfeed.com/winckel/88ee387f/meaning-of-9-11-most-controversial-photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The colour is a bit wonky in the guardian photo, but Its real, and it's been knocking about for a few years on the net.

http://www.slate.com/id/2149675/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

My apologies, it does look like it was made up on photoshop or something.

It's a striking but also hideous photo in my opinion.

My Lai, Viet Nam. March 16th, 1968

My_Lai_massacre_woman_and_children.jpg

The image of the little girl on the left there will stay with me till the day I die.

Taken seconds before these innocent women and children were shot to pieces by American troops with automatic weapons.

Now we see self made images of them chucking puppies off cliffs and posing to give the 'Thumbs Up' with children they've just killed in Iraq.

Anyone else spot a pattern here ....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

^^Can you give some context or proof please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

^^Can you give some context or proof please

:) Sure. For My Lai, Google is your friend. Read till ye eyes hurt. There's reams of it. All very thoroughly documented, with names and faces of the guys behind the M16's.

Puppy chuckers were probably long since ripped down from You Tube. Though, I expect it's still around on one of the 'gore' type sites.

Not sure what one might need to feed Google to get the references to it. But, it too will be there and well documented.

The idiot giving the thumbs up over the body of the young lad? Why, that was alluded to, twice, on this very thread. Also plenty about it on Google. Names named. The lot. Help yeself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

In response to the photo of the new yorkers 'casually' watching their city burn:

20 years ago my father died and when my sister returned to school about two weeks later two of her classmates came up to her and said:

'You must be glad your daddy died because you aren't crying'. This devastated my sister.

So if you think the people in that photo are arses, think to yourself- did you ever smile at a funeral? Did you crack a joke with a friend on the day those attacks happened?

Context is a wonderful thing, as well as being a s***ty thing to be taken out of.

Advertisement