Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Can someone explain this pic? I can't believe I never saw this thread before. I am quite speechless to be honest...

It's a Georgian luger called Nodar Kumaritashvili, died from his injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Can someone explain this pic? I can't believe I never saw this thread before. I am quite speechless to be honest...

Fairly self explanatory TBH. Chap died in the winter olympics when he came out of his sleigh and hit steel girders. The RIP bit is the key.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It was a tragic accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

He is Nodar Kumaritashvili, a Georgian who died during a training run at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. The NYT has an excellent animation explaining what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Fairly self explanatory TBH. Chap died in the winter olympics when he came out of his sleigh and hit steel girders. The RIP bit is the key.;)

I realised it was a death. I wasn't sure who he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is GPS location enabled when you share from Flickr?
    I know it is on tweets from mobile devices.

How did they get the maps so accurate? (The NJ one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Is GPS location enabled when you share from Flickr?
    I know it is on tweets from mobile devices.

How did they get the maps so accurate? (The NJ one)

Nearly all cameras and phones these days have Exif data embedded into the image, that includes GPS,but you can disable it in Flickr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

For DSLR's to have GPS they'd have to have internet connection, on Flickr you can pinpoint where you took the photo on a map :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Just finished the thread, one word- wow .

Also I think its cool that feeky has started 2 of the best loved threads on boards !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pretty amazing thread so far. Just thought I'd add some more pictures.

The infamous Frost/Nixon interview. Very, very significant moment in history and one that produced this outrageous comment from Nixon, "I'm saying when the president does it, that means it's not illegal".

frostnixon.jpg

This one is of the most successful golfer of all-time, Jack Nicklaus, as he walks over the famous Swilican Bridge on the 18th hole of St. Andrews golf course in Scotland for the final time as a competitor in the British Open. 18 Major wins, a record that seems more unlikely to be beaten with every passing year despite the best efforts of Tiger Woods.

41118208_jack_getty.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

For DSLR's to have GPS they'd have to have internet connection, on Flickr you can pinpoint where you took the photo on a map :)

That's not right. If the camera has a GPS chip, that's all that's needed. The co-ordinates are stored in the image meta-data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

ZiMZuM wrote: »
    This was the 1st picture that came to my mind..
    sad.jpg
    I don't think upon seeing this photo that you can ever forget it.

Was just doing a bit of reading up on it to see if there was any information on the fate of the little girl and read this.

Carter eventually won the Pulitzer Prize for this photo, but he couldn’t enjoy it. “I’m really, really sorry I didn’t pick the child up,” he confided in a friend. Consumed with the violence he’d witnessed, and haunted by the questions as to the little girl’s fate, he committed suicide three months later.

I did not know he had taken his own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

He didn't kill himself over the subject of that photo, debt worries plagued him along with the huge amounts of violence he had witnessed in his life.

More

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Alfred Jodl signing the German Instrument of Surrender at Reims, France 7 May 1945

Jodl_surrender_front_view.JPG

Wilhelm Keitel signing Surrender Terms for the German Army in Berlin the very next day, after Stalin had insisted on a second ceremony in Berlin.

Bild%20183-R77797%20Keitel.jpg

Keitel and Jodl were later hanged after the Nuremberg Trials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Instrument_of_Surrender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Maximilian wrote: »
    Probably shook something in its day, perhaps not the world.

Tennis%20Girl%20450.jpg

Sorry if this has been done before but didnt this turn out to be actually a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

bungler wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been done before but didnt this turn out to be actually a man?
    No I'm 99% sure it's the girlfriend of an amateur photographer if I recall correctly, I read about it in the paper within the last year about the girl in the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

joshrogan wrote: »
    No I'm 99% sure it's the girlfriend of an amateur photographer if I recall correctly, I read about it in the paper within the last year about the girl in the photo.

Sorry bout that thought i heard on radio last year that it was supposedly a man but i do remember hearing somewhere else about an amateur photographer. cheers pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

bungler wrote: »

no..? i saw an interview online with the woman that was in the photo, twenty years later or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

not posting here as they are awfully gruesome but the ones of Nikki Catsouras http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Catsouras_photographs_controversy are pretty rank and would put you off speeding any time soon

great thread by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

etymon wrote: »
    not posting here as they are awfully gruesome but the ones of Nikki Catsouras http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Catsouras_photographs_controversy are pretty rank and would put you off speeding any time soon

great thread by the way

Looked them up there, jesus that's horrific, would put me off getting a convertible anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

gungun wrote: »
    Looked them up there, jesus that's horrific, would put me off getting a convertible anyways
    Just had a look as well,not good looking at something like that this time of night:eek: Just goes to show what our emergency workers see most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

US War Crimes in Fallujah - Crimes against Humanity

Usage of depleted uranium and white phosphorus.

The study, entitled "Cancer, Infant Mortality and Birth Sex-Ratio in Fallujah, Iraq 2005-2009", is by Dr Busby, Malak Hamdan and Entesar Ariabi, and concludes that anecdotal evidence of a sharp rise in cancer and congenital birth defects is correct. Infant mortality was found to be 80 per 1,000 births compared to 19 in Egypt, 17 in Jordan and 9.7 in Kuwait. The report says that the types of cancer are "similar to that in the Hiroshima survivors who were exposed to ionising radiation from the bomb and uranium in the fallout".

Researchers found a 38-fold increase in leukaemia, a ten-fold increase in female breast cancer and significant increases in lymphoma and brain tumours in adults. At Hiroshima survivors showed a 17-fold increase in leukaemia, but in Fallujah Dr Busby says what is striking is not only the greater prevalence of cancer but the speed with which it was affecting people.

Of particular significance was the finding that the sex ratio between newborn boys and girls had changed. In a normal population this is 1,050 boys born to 1,000 girls, but for those born from 2005 there was an 18 per cent drop in male births, so the ratio was 850 males to 1,000 females. The sex-ratio is an indicator of genetic damage that affects boys more than girls.

Warning: Images of deformed babies. Very graphic.
    http://merryabla64.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/victim-of-du2.jpg?w=300&h=299
    http://www.easylivesearch.com/floga270.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O60Jg7biNLw/SI5UipY7WlI/AAAAAAAAAQc/JT1vwt1QWS0/s400/DUBabies.jpg
    http://coto2.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/iraq_birth_defects.jpg?w=409&h=373

Large pic here, not for the faint of heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It's Fiona Bulter girlfriend of the photographer, Martin Elliott. He died last year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/tennis-girl-photographer-martin-elliott-dies-after-cancer-battle-1934359.html

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

etymon wrote: »

great thread by the way

Oh Jesus! That's really horrific! I can't believe some sickos emailed those pictures to her family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Toots* wrote: »
    Oh Jesus! That's really horrific! I can't believe some sickos emailed those pictures to her family :(

iirc, kids in the school she went to put the pictures in her sisters locker.

evil people really

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

allanb49 wrote: »
    iirc, kids in the school she went to put the pictures in her sisters locker.

evil people really

Oh god that's so horrible, that really is evil.

Saw these pictures yesterday, not quite world shaking but pretty crazy nonetheless. It's the annual Bee Bearding Contest in Shaoyang, Hunan Province of China. This is the 42 year old farmer who won the event!

article-0-0D0B68F400000578-887_634x940.jpg
    article-0-0D0C77E200000578-690_634x406.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

B+ for effort ^^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Tennis Girl

The Tennis Girl is a popular poster.[1] It shows a young woman from behind walking towards the net of a tennis court with a tennis racquet in her right hand and her left hand reaching behind lifting her short tennis dress, showing she is not wearing any underwear.

The photograph was taken by Martin Elliott in September 1976 and features 18-year-old Fiona Butler[2] (now Walker)[3][4], his girlfriend at the time.[5] The photo was taken at Birmingham University, Edgbaston, Birmingham, using a borrowed dress, racquet and balls.[5][6][7][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_Girl

She did an interview on Montcrieff's NewsTalk show recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Of all the photos here, this one makes me think 'this must be what hell looks like'

attachment.php?attachmentid=114&d=1305206773

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

i think thats white phosporus(sp??)as well.Nasty stuff maikkomi

Advertisement