Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

I'm on my phone so the image was difficult to make out - it looked to me that there were still flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

no sure my self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

tumblr_lk41b4PeSx1qcdumxo1_500.jpg

Nelson's Pillar after having been blown up by IRA in 1966, to commemorate 50 years since the 1916 rising. Nobody was killed in the explosion, (unsurprising given it exploded at 2am) however the nearest person, a 19 year old man made it to safety just in time, before his taxi car was destroyed by rubble. The Pillar had been a target several times before, one such occasion was when UCD students chained themselves to it in the 50s and the tried to burn parts off parts of it.

Despite it's British connections, most Dubliners were critical of the Pillar because of it's size and appearance. The Council had tried unsuccessfully to have it removed twice before the attacks. Yeats had even written a poem dedicated to it's ugliness.

nelsons-pillar.jpg

Here's a photo, taken six days later when the Irish Army were forced to destroy the rest for safety reasons.

I thought this was quite interesting too!
    From Wikipedia:
    Ken Dolan and six other students from the National College of Art and Design stole the statue's head on St. Patrick's Day from a storage shed in Clanbrassil Street as a fund-raising prank to pay off a Student Union's debt. They leased the head for £200 a month to an antiques dealer in London for his shop window. It also appeared in a women's stocking commercial, shot on Killiney beach, and on the stage of the Olympia Theatre with The Dubliners. The students finally gave the head to the Lady Nelson of the day about six months after taking it, and it was later housed in the Civic Museum in Dublin. It now resides in the Gilbert Library, in Pearse Street

And HERE's a view from the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

iirc the chap who's taxi got destroyed went to the states with the insurance money and became a very rich man.He was on newstalk s few years ago.Became a ceo of a company.Will have a looksee for more information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Keep the chat to a minimum from now on, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

PK2008 wrote: »
    10 years on and pictures of 9/11 still make my blood boil with anger...

At who or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

iamstop wrote: »
    At who or what?

eh, the people who did it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Giving that it's the great man's birthday today and his legacy is still as strong as ever:

henson-kermit-movie.jpg?w=600&h=523
    kermit-jim-henson.jpg

A tribute picture made by Disney artists that summer of his death in 1990 of Mickey comforting Kermit:
    tumblr_lr4q5i6L9D1qgduswo1_500.jpg

Big Bird singing Bein' Green at Jim Henson's Memorial a few days after he passed away which he finishes by looking up to the sky and says in a breaking voice: "Thank you, Kermit"
    300px-Bigbirdmemorial.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

293x09i.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

^^^:confused::confused::confused:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

^^^:confused::confused::confused:?

Live Aid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

dasdog wrote: »
    Live Aid?

Ah right...that clears that up then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Saw this for the first time last week. Hard to understand how this has not been heavily publicised before.

Edna_Cintron_standing_in_WTC1.jpg
    womaninholelarge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

^^^^
    Correct me if im wrong but i think thats another fake, it was used by conspiracy theorists to make a point that a woman could stand where it was supposedly hot enough to melt steel and collapse the towers.....i.e. if true theres no way she could be stood there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

df1985 wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Correct me if im wrong but i think thats another fake, it was used by conspiracy theorists to make a point that a woman could stand where it was supposedly hot enough to melt steel and collapse the towers.....i.e. if true theres no way she could be stood there.

On that French Film makers documentary they stated that one of the firefighters made it to the 78th floor. So it IS possible. And anyway, the metal supports did not need to melt, just soften enough to become malleable and not structurally strong enough to be weight bearing.

Apologies for text without pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Saw this for the first time last week. Hard to understand how this has not been heavily publicised before.

They are clearly fake,just look closely at the top one.

The third one looks like the picture of Bigfoot that was trotted out a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

They are clearly fake,just look closely at the top one.

The third one looks like the picture of Bigfoot that was trotted out a number of years ago.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but she appears to be standing to the left of column 134 in this picture from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) report.

040505_final_062.jpg

Ignoring all the conspiracy theory stuff on the video the fact remains there seems to be someone standing waving in the hole in the side of the building. That's probably enough thread derailment.

Poor poor woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kaoshi

It was sadly normal back then for the race to continue on alongside such accidents even when they were quite often fatal, it had just become a part of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

endurance2.jpg

the endurance...the ship used by ernest shackleton on his crazy trip to cross antarctica

I've dont have interest in the attempts to get to the poles but the story of ernest shackleton and his crew and how they survived is amazing and i find it fascinating.

He didnt loose any crew(although a few body parts were lost to frostbite).

full story here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shackleton_expedition

EDIT:the dogs didnt make it ....they were eaten:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

^ Haha smiley face after "they were eaten"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Our own Tom Crean with puppies from the above dogs. The pic may not be something that stands out but the story behind the man and what he endured and did on that expedition is amazing!
    Tom-Crean-01.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Our own Tom Crean with puppies from the above dogs. The pic may not be something that stands out but the story behind the man and what he endured and did on that expedition is amazing!
    His walk to Hut Point on the earlier Tera Nova expedition is still one of the great polar treks.

"So it fell to my lot to do the 30 miles for help, and only a couple of biscuits and a stick of chocolate to do it. Well, sir, I was very weak when I reached the hut."

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

I'm not sure if its been posted already, but has anyone seen the Mexican chainsaw execution?

I just watched it there, and now know its probably the most graphic thing i've seen on the net..

blb092511a.png

These two dudes where part of a gang and the gang was sent a message by the video the police recorded. Picture is taking moments before the guy on the right was decapitated by a chainsaw, and his friend next decapitated by a insanely sharp knife..

Im not going to post a video.. I'd be banned off this site for good.. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Keep the chat to a minimum from now on, lads.

Obviously everyone's ignored this warning since I just had to delete 14 posts of chat. So allow me to make myself more clear:

This is a picture thread. Extensive discussion of the images you see here is off-topic may be taken off-thread. Any more "omg dats digusting" nonsense will lead to bans being handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

American propaganda still alive and kicking!

310602_10150406070885934_613520933_10311399_1844041057_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

American propaganda still alive and kicking!

Looks like your own propaganda is alive and kicking.

Anyway....

2011-09-16t184214z_152513161.jpg?w=735

September 16, 2011. A 55-year-old man sets himself ablaze outside a bank in Thessaloniki,Greece, after being refused a renegotiation of overdue loan payments for his home and business. The man was hospitalized for chest burns. Greece’s lingering debt crisis continues to threaten the European and world economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Footprints2.jpg

Left, derived from a photo taken by Philip Rickerby, the oldest known footprint made by an anatomically modern human over 100 thousand years ago in South Africa. Right, the footprint of Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin on the lunar surface made on July 20, 1969

Advertisement