Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Worztron wrote: »
    I recall seeing that picture before. What was the story?

its been in this thread with full story attached.
    Very sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Don't think this has been posted up before, surprisingly enough:

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Valentines_Day_Massacre

The massacre of five members of Bugs Moran's North Side Gang (a rival gang of Al Capone) plus two gang collaborators by four unknown murderers, two dressed as policemen who entered the garage where Moran's gang were present. The gang was told to line up against a wall where they believed a rudimentary police sting would take place. The ''policeman'' then opened fire and massacred the gang. The target of the plan was Bugs Moran but he was not killed as he was late for the meeting and subsequently avoided his gruesome death.

massacre-photo.jpg?w=313&h=225

A more N.S.F.W., graphic image of the bodies after the shooting:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/91/l_6506cc3dcc4d40228c9cb385222722ea.jpg
    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l55dqfp2bK1qzykm0o1_r2_500.jpg

Though nobody was ever charged with the murders,it is all but written in stone that Al Capone ordered the killings to kill Moran and obliterate his gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Ireland%20celebrate%20v%20Australia%20480.jpg

Ireland-celebration-v-Australia-World-Cup_2653094.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mixednuts wrote: »
    There is site/article named Lebanons 911

You know what Lebanon done on 9/11?... It celebrated the attacks - that was Lebanon's 9/11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

You know what Lebanon done on 9/11?... It celebrated the attacks - that was Lebanon's 9/11.

Speaking of celebrating 9/11 . . . .. weren't there a few israelis arrested for singing and dancing as the towers were still on fire & people were jumping to their deaths ?

You say 'Lebannon celebrated' like as if every lebaneese celebrated, so likewise we can say 'Israel celebrated' & be equally fair to both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Y'know what I celebrate?

Pictures on the picture thread.

Lets run with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Reno Air Crash at the weekend - 9 people dead :mad:

la-na-renoairshow0917-8.jpg

renoaircrash_sunday.jpg

6a00d8341c630a53ef0154357e30c7970c-600wi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Justice for the 96

hd.jpg

090415niphillsborough_3--123928584641526300.jpg

090415niphillsborough_4--123928586567337000.jpg

3463821960_50c775795f.jpg

article-1369102-04434324000005DC-288_634x406.jpg

Hillsborough+Disaster.jpg

090415niphillsborough_2--123928582316995000.jpg

image-1-for-hillsborough-disaster-gallery-79960959.jpg

N0022071311733178981A.jpg

12394445410.jpg

hillsborough_1368658c.jpg

hills_disaster_466_access.gif

I have put this image in to remind all about the disgraceful story that The Sun and its editor at the time (Kelvin MacKenzie)ran with after the disaster .
    A article that still annoys and upsets today due to its disgraceful portrayal of fans supposedly to blame for the atrocity , and complete and utter lies about some fans attacking helpers and police yet there is never one photo or statement to support such allegations.
    MODS: If this goes against the thread rules then please take it out .
    hillsborough_disaster_sun.jpg?w=180&h=207

hillsborough-disaster.jpg

hillsboroughmemorial.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Roland Ratzenberger, San Marino, 30th April 1994

crash9.jpg

Ratzenberger was the first racing driver to die at a Grand Prix weekend since the 1982 season, when Riccardo Paletti was killed at the Canadian Grand Prix, and he was the first driver to die in an F1 car since Elio de Angelis during testing in 1986.

Ratzenberger's death was overshadowed considerably by that of Ayrton Senna.

Ayrton Senna, San Marino, 1st May 1994

070501_senna-imola-1994-2.jpg
    2040549503_fbb9ec3133.jpg

These may not have shook up the world at large, but definately shook up the world of Formula 1 and motorsport in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Roger Williamson, Dutch Gp, Zandvoort, 1973

19265_121693395660.jpg

On Roger Williamson's second Formula One at the Dutch Grand Prix in 1973, he crashed after a suspected tyre failure. His car flipped upside down and caught fire. Roger wasn't seriously injured after the crash but was trapped under the car.

rw735.jpg

The poorly trained, badly equipped track marshals did little to help.
    Another driver David Purley, upon witnessing the crash, pulled over and abandoned his own race in a desperate and valiant attempt to rescue Williamson.

rw734.jpg

rw733.jpg

There was only a single fire extinguisher in the area, and it was not enough to put out the fire. With the car still burning upside-down, the situation became hopeless, and the distraught Purley was led away by a marshal. Some spectators, appalled at Williamson's plight, tried to breach the safety fences in order to assist Williamson, but were pushed back by track security staff with dogs.
    Remarkably, the race continued during all this.

Because the race was still on, it took the first fire engine 8 minutes to arrive on the scene. The fire was extinguished but Williamson had died of asphyxiation.

*Possibly distressing video*

David Purley was later awarded George Medal for his rescue attempt. He called the day of the crash as the saddest day of his life. I think his body language at the end of that video tells it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Think we had that last one here before - sad story though!:(

Very sad story. That video is one of the saddest I've seen.

It was posted on boards but not in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pj! wrote: »
    Very sad story. That video is one of the saddest I've seen.

It was posted on boards but not in this thread.

Knew I had seen it before - was on Motors now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Oh my lord, that Roger Williamson video has genuinely upset me.... Thanks for putting the details in beside the pics....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

WTF is wrong with people? Why wouldn't they help him!? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Because they were dicks/lazy/incompetant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

OMG that video was one of the most upsetting things i've seen, those poor men, both the driver and his friend who tried to help :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I think the picture of the driver walking away says it all.Cant watch the video as im in work

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Can't believe this one hasn't been done, known to be a fake but i'm sure most of us got it by mail in the week after 9/11

crashn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Got to understand he was in full fire protected gear, he was practically in the flames, people beside him could hardly get 10 feet beside the burning car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

KilOit wrote: »
    Got to understand he was in full fire protected gear, he was practically in the flames, people beside him could hardly get 10 feet beside the burning car.

I just watched the documentary on the dangers of F1 in the 60s and 70s and all the F1 drivers who used to die frequently in accidents and the people's attitudes back then who just took it as a fact that accidents and deaths were just a part of F1.
    It was just really poor organization and communication by the track marshals and crew which caused Williamson's death.

When Purley saw his team mate crash, he quickly pulled over to help him. There was only one fire extinguisher available and the marshals weren't wearing fireproof clothes so they couldn't get close to the car to lift it back upright. Purley could hear Williamson screaming for help from underneath the car. He tried to stop other drivers so they could help him lift the car but all the drivers thought it was Purley who had the accident and he was waving around to put out the flames. None of the drivers knew Williamson was pinned underneath the car and needed help. It was sadly normal back then for the race to continue on alongside such accidents even when they were quite often fatal, it had just become a part of it all.

This accident following a string of fatal accidents and with the help of drivers like Jackie Stewart bought the F1 organisation to seriously start putting in more thought towards driver safety. Still it was not until the high profile death of Aryton Senna which brought the major overhaul in F1 safety standards and since then no F1 driver has been killed on track. And thankfully now F1 is a pretty safe sport.

KilOit wrote: »

As to why they didn't just stop the race, and to why no other drivers stopped when they seen Purley frantically sprinting towards an upside down burning car?
    And why they had just one fire extinguisher?

They put out the blaze eventually, threw a blanket over the burnt out wreck with Williamson still inside and continued the race.

The winner, (a muted) Jackie Stewart collected his trophy from the podium as per usual.

F1 is probably safer today as a result but what an absolutely horrible incident. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

I would recommend anyone to see that documentary that was on bbc4. It really showed how F1 was slow to make its sport safe. Jackie Stewart was one of the first drivers who pushed for change and it also portrayed the lotus boss (whos name i cant remember) as someone who put speed over safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^You can watch it on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grlkYMTi7hg

Its a really excellent documentary and really opens your eyes to how dangerous F1 was in the 60s and 70s and the teams, drivers and spectators attitude that death was just a normal part of F1. Jackie Steward said you had only a 1 in 3 chance of staying alive in a race and it was like being a fighter pilot. You knew sooner or later you'ld crash and end up dead like the rest. But it was crazy at the same time cuz it wasn't a war and was just an entertainment sport which made Jackie Steward make all the efforts to push for safety in F1.

And Colin Chapman is the founder and boss of Lotus. Considered by many as one of the greatest automobile and F1 pioneers. His inventions made big changes to both F1 and road cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

David Purley was the only person who was remotely dressed correctly to deal with the inferno that was Williamson's car. Purley was Williamson's teammate, and when Purley arrived at the car, Williamson begged Purley to help him get out. However, the car could not be righted, and Williamson perished.

Purley later went on to suffer the highest G-Force in a crash ever recorded, going from 178mph to 0 in just 26 inches. He died in a place crash in 85.

I've watched that Grand Prix Killer Years documentary several times, and it really shows the cavalier attitude towards safety in those days. Williamsons crash was very like Jo Schlessers in 68, and Bandinis in 67, both burning the drivers alive. Here are some pics of the aftermath of Williamsons crash.

Warning: Gruesome/NSFW.

You won't like these
    You won't like these 2
    Roger Williamson:Burned Alive in front of his friend

R.I.P.

This, as well as the death of Tom Pyrce at Kyalami 1977, are, IMO, the two worst deaths in F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Semantics but it quite possibly elevates Purley even higher on the hero-scale - Williamson was not his team-mate, not a friend, just a fellow driver.

Superbus wrote: »
    Semantics but it quite possibly elevates Purley even higher on the hero-scale - Williamson was not his team-mate, not a friend, just a fellow driver.

Correct, I'd always thought they were team-mates. Even though they were both driving March cars, Williamson was a works team driver, and Purley a customer.

It really alarms me that the last picture seems to be of the other driver watching him die. That bit doesn't alarm me, it's that someone else stood by and photographed it instead of helping.

It really alarms me that the last picture seems to be of the other driver watching him die. That bit doesn't alarm me, it's that someone else stood by and photographed it instead of helping.

There was no element of standing by and watching. David Purley is one man, and he was one man with some semblance of fireproof overalls. Noone else there could get near the burning car. I have utmost respect for drivers that stop to help injured drivers, such as Senna with Eric Comas, and Graham Hill & Bob Bondurant with Jackie Stewart, but David Purley is probably the greatest hero of them all, as he risked his own life to try saving Williamson.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Not sure what you mean, those photos were probably taken waaay afterwards. Note there's no flames, and a driver has his helmet off, which you wouldnt be able to do standing beside a roaring inferno!

Advertisement