Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 21, Stage 18: Pinerolo - Galibier Serre-Chevalier 189km

Options
  • 20-07-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭

The Tour's highest-ever finish

There probably haven't been many, if any, occasions when the Izoard has been the smallest climb on the day's itinerary, which sums up just how extraordinary this stage is. Starting with the ascent of the huge Agnel climb, "the roof" of this year's Tour, then passing over the spectacular Izoard, the day culminates with the ascent to the Tour's highest-ever finish on the summit of the Galibier. It will be of little consolation to most that this is reached from its easier side. The last 8.5km are tough and should see an intense battle between the podium contenders.

tdf2011_18sm.jpg

tdf2011_18sp_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Is this really the first ever finish on the Galibier?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I do not envy them for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

im tired even looking at that profile... if my sums are right thats approx 4700m of climbing. should sort the men out from the schlecks ;)... cant believe how anti schleck im becoming on this tour. i was cheering andy on this time last year. but if i see him look around for his brother ONE MORE TIME.....
    and on that note.. probably a new man in yellow tomorrow. im going for a top three of Evans, Contador, Sanchez after the stage (would love tommy v to stick in there though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'll add to that by introducing the climbs, and there's ALOT of climbing tomorrow, Andy > your wish has been granted.
    The first climb Col Agnel is officially 23.7km @ 6.5% but they will be climbing for nearly 70km before the reach the summit !! The last part of Agnel is steep, a long stretch over 10%.

agnel.png

Then onto the Col d'Izoard, 14.1 @ 7.3%, again with a tough finish.

izoard.png

Then, if there's any legs/energy left, we have the Galibier, first ever finish on it, 23km @ 5.1, with a nice 9% at the end, and some snow also !

galibier.png

Recent pic I believe.

Basso should like this, him being a diesel. AC should like it (especially those 10% bits). Andy says he likes it but.............all that head turning will kill him. Cadel doesn't like it me thinks, too much grinding. Sanchez is a dark horse, to be watched carefully. Frank, is he on form or not ?! oh..........and Tommmmmy, go Tommy go :p
    Who will win the stage ?! Is there a Kiryienka lying in wait somewhere, biding their time for a historic win ??!!
    Should be compulsive watching anyway :)
    And............will Cav make the TimeLimit ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This time tomorrow Contador will probably be in yellow, if the last couple of days are anything to go by. The only doubt is that he might not put enough time into Evans tomorrow, in which case I recknow Evans will take over the yellow.

I can't wait for this, three Hors Catergory climbs in one day should be epic. I have lost all faith in the Schlecks cracking Contador, they had their chance in the Pyrenees and couldn't do it.

It's strange, even though Evans has 2 minutes over Contador I still can't see him winning the tour.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

It's strange, even though Evans has 2 minutes over Contador I still can't see him winning the tour.

He has 3.15... which makes me think it'll be very close!

Thomas VOECKLER EUC 73:23:49
    Cadel EVANS BMC +00:01:18
    Frank SCHLECK LEO +00:01:22
    Andy SCHLECK LEO +00:02:36
    Samuel SANCHEZ EUS +00:02:59
    Alberto CONTADOR SBS +00:03:15
    Damiano CUNEGO LAM +00:03:34
    Ivan BASSO LIQ +00:03:49

That Col Agnel looks savage. relentless 9%+ for last 9k is going to hurt

mahoo wrote: »
    He has 3.15... which makes me think it'll be very close!

Thomas VOECKLER EUC 73:23:49
    Cadel EVANS BMC +00:01:18
    Frank SCHLECK LEO +00:01:22
    Andy SCHLECK LEO +00:02:36
    Samuel SANCHEZ EUS +00:02:59
    Alberto CONTADOR SBS +00:03:15
    Damiano CUNEGO LAM +00:03:34
    Ivan BASSO LIQ +00:03:49

You've got your sums wrong there horse: 3:15-1:18 = 1:57

Or just shy of 2 mins :)

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The 'stage' is set Mr. Contador, tomorrow will be your finest day, a day when you will win on Galibier & probably the Tour or not as the CASe may be :p

You've got your sums wrong there horse: 3:15-1:18 = 1:57

Or just shy of 2 mins :)

duuuuh.. sorry. blonde moment.... still think it'll be close though. evans has been hanging on to the attacks pretty well so far. cant wait to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There's a 'prediction' thing for tomorrows stage going on over on www.velominati.com and its open season on nicknames !

Identify the following:
    1. Jelle Roll
    2. Grimpy the Elder
    3. Bert
    4. Cadelephant
    5. JEROME F’IN COPPEL

or

1. Odor
    2. Elephant Balls
    3. Dog
    4. Mermaid
    5. Tits

or

1. Jelly Roll Morton
    2. Clenched Butt Odor
    3. Swivelhead Snr
    4. Bumchin
    5. Swivelhead Jnr

I recognise most..........but a few are hilarious !

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

From the intermediate sprint until col Agnel is 60k.. 60k uphill .. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

piece of piss :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

This is going to be epic. I see Voeckler finally relinquishing yellow. I'd love to see him hang on but these mountains are merciless. I'm not sure about Evans, either. I see these losing time. The Schlecks in yellow tomorrow, with the Spaniards breathing down their necks and the Italians closing in.

If Nico could just find his climbing legs he could move up substantially.

Now, to just ask the boss for the day off...

...wait, she'll be gone to work. Oh, the joys of being retired! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

And............will Cav make the TimeLimit ?

Hopefully not :mad: Can't stand the thought of him winning another stage on the Champs Elyses. Althought even if he os outside the time limit he will not be excluded from the rest of the tour as it is a discretionary decision apparently.

Hopefully not :mad: Can't stand the thought of him winning another stage on the Champs Elyses. Althought even if he os outside the time limit he will not be excluded from the rest of the tour as it is a discretionary decision apparently.

The time limit will mean feck all tomorrow and probably the next day. The bus will be so big, no one will be eliminated.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    From the intermediate sprint until col Agnel is 60k.. 60k uphill .. :eek:

pfft, amateurs :cool:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Oh good God. I've been waiting for this stage, Friday and the subsequent time-trial on Saturday forever, it seems. I absolutely cannot WAIT, tomorrow is going to be epic. That many HC climbs in one day = a world of hurt. It's also perfect for AC (as is the rest of the next 3 days, unfortunately), though I'm still crossing my fingers for an Evans overall win - he's really grown on me the past few years. If he can even wheel-suck for the next 2 days (I hope not, but you can't have everything! :pac:), he shouldn't lose 2 minutes on that TT given that he's the only GC contender who's completed it in a racing scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

Contador to destroy tomorrow, the legend is back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd really like to see todays stage.
    Does any channel do decent highlights or anything? I have an exam at 2PM and I'm coming of night shift at 8AM so need to get some sleep in between.
    Would love to watch it later as it's going to be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

The heart says Evans, but the head says Contador.I think he may do something special today.Either way i hope the next few days carry on in the same vain as the last 2.5 weeks.Great Tour really dont want it to end....................ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

mahoo wrote: »
    im tired even looking at that profile... if my sums are right thats approx 4700m of climbing. should sort the men out from the schlecks ;)... cant believe how anti schleck im becoming on this tour. i was cheering andy on this time last year. but if i see him look around for his brother ONE MORE TIME.....
    and on that note.. probably a new man in yellow tomorrow. im going for a top three of Evans, Contador, Sanchez after the stage (would love tommy v to stick in there though)

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself, I'm surprised Andy isn't complaining of a sore neck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Oh good God. I've been waiting for this stage, Friday and the subsequent time-trial on Saturday forever, it seems. I absolutely cannot WAIT, tomorrow is going to be epic. That many HC climbs in one day = a world of hurt. It's also perfect for AC (as is the rest of the next 3 days, unfortunately), though I'm still crossing my fingers for an Evans overall win - he's really grown on me the past few years. If he can even wheel-suck for the next 2 days (I hope not, but you can't have everything! :pac:), he shouldn't lose 2 minutes on that TT given that he's the only GC contender who's completed it in a racing scenario.

eeeerrrrr i wouldnt build your hopes up, seen too many epic stages just fizzle out

(but i hope it doesnt)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

eeeerrrrr i wouldnt build your hopes up, seen too many epic stages just fizzle out

(but i hope it doesnt)
    Yea, there'll probably just be action on the last climb. It'd be great to see them attack from the first climb but that's not going to happen.

I don't get all the Berti love on here, I hope he has a nightmare stage (looking unlikely:().

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nomadic wrote: »
    I don't get all the Berti love on here, I hope he has a nightmare stage (looking unlikely:().
    just think what kind of race we would be watching if he wasnt there ;)

nomadic wrote: »

(but i hope it doesnt)
    Yea, there'll probably just be action on the last climb. It'd be great to see them attack from the first climb but that's not going to happen.

He's exciting, simple as that really. He attacks like a Tour winner should and doesn't sit around waiting for others to make mistakes.

I don't want to get into the doping debate, but it should gave been sorted out months ago. He could have 2 tours and a Giro taken off him, it's a joke how badly it's been handled.

Imagine this years tour without him, snoozefest.

they/them/theirs

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of the posts in this thread made before midnight (briankeating and mahoo in particular) included information relevant to yesterday's stage without spoiler tags - any more of this will incur infractions (bans for repeat offenders)

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

jay.i.am wrote: »
    The heart says Evans, but the head says Contador.I think he may do something special today.Either way i hope the next few days carry on in the same vain as the last 2.5 weeks.Great Tour really dont want it to end....................ever!
    i agree , was for AS at the start but have lost faith over the last few days , he needs to just take a risk and go for it , got to give it to Contador he is really shaken up all the other favourites , todays mammoth session will be fantastic !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Personally hope that anyone but AC wins.
    Am an Evans fan so hope he'll do it but if its a Schrek than hope it's Andy (haven't forgotten Franks €10k to Fuentes!!).
    Sanchez is a Dark horse though and certainly won't rule him out.
    Tommy V will lose the jersey today but hope he can hang on for a top 5 or top 10 at least.
    The way Roche rode yesterday a top 15 placing is still possible so here's hopin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Me too, anyone but AC to win but he'll probably do OK if he had his steak sandwich:D

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    A number of the posts in this thread made before midnight (briankeating and mahoo in particular) included information relevant to yesterday's stage without spoiler tags - any more of this will incur infractions (bans for repeat offenders)

Thanks

Beasty

oops. sorry about that. i'm living on central european time at the moment ;) wont happen again

Advertisement