Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 21, Stage 18: Pinerolo - Galibier Serre-Chevalier 189km

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

bcmf wrote: »
    They have been saying that for days now. I am hoping that he holds on.
    Was interesting watching it live when Cadel turned to him and gestured for him to work and he nodded his head 'No'!
    Plus near the finish there was a close up when Rolland went to the front and he yelled something at him.
    Phil and Paul said he was encouraging him but I reckon the opposite because very shortly after Rolland pulled off.

I thought that was a bit odd myself. Surely if Rolland had worked with Evans from a few kilometres out Voeckler would have more than 15 seconds on Andy and more of a chance of winning the thing. By refusing to help Evans his chances faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I thought that was a bit odd myself. Surely if Rolland had worked with Evans from a few kilometres out Voeckler would have more than 15 seconds on Andy and more of a chance of winning the thing. By refusing to help Evans his chances faded.
    Vockler reckons he can allow Andy more time going into the TT, his hope was to let Evans do all the work and thereby tire himself out for tomorrows stage and the TT.

Vockler aint out of it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Another classic stage.

Andy Schleck is some man but what has it taken out of him? The same with Evans.

I'd love to see Voecklar win the Tour, or at least still be in with a chance come the TT.

He looks to have the measure of Cadal Evans in the mountains, and if he can stay over a minute ahead of him going into the TT, who knows, he might just hold on, as he's got incredible bottle and grit.

The Schlecks need to put more time into Evans though for the TT.

I reckon Andy must be favourite for the Tour now though. I hope Voecklar at least gets on the podium in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Regardless of what happens to the yellow, Voeckler is the man of the tour in my eyes and he deserves at least a place in the podium. He has sold his soul to the devil to stay with the leaders and I just wish him to magically find a pair of legs tomorrow and hold that jersey for the TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Agree with Astra. TV alongside Hoogerland and the God of Thunder are legends.

Problem is tomorrow we could easily see Frank S sprout a pair of wings early in the day and they will have to chase while Andy will sit in and get towed. For all the slagging they received for being dopes tactic's wise earlier in the week this could be the perfect set up for the yellow jumper to finally find a home in Schlek land.
    But we could easily see Bertie set out on a day of revenge .... now wouldnt that be a fun day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

guessing contador forgot to have his beef last night?
    really hoping andy nails it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Is it the intermediate points they are deducted, because if it was just the end of stage points it wouldn't make sense as a rider could bury himself to get the intermediate points and then pace himself to the finish outside the time limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

No I believe its the points that would be available at the end of the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I was just looking at a picture on twitter of what Leopard Treck riders might eat in a day...pasta, fish, meats, breads and tonnes of fruit and veg.

Nico on the other hand usually has toast and maybe an egg, energy gel's, and a bowl of pasta with a bit of cheese and olive oil...and if he's lucky he gets a bit of apple tart....

He needs to get some more protein in there :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Very nearly put a few quid on Voeckler at 100-1 about a week ago but Paddy Power suspended the market and when it came back he was 13-1.

Become more and more depressed by the day :P

On the other hand, unbelievable stage today. My first year watching any cycling event and I'm absolutely glued to the tour and addicted to cycling now :P By the sounds of things I'm gonna be disappointed with every tour in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

SD7792 wrote: »
    By the sounds of things I'm gonna be disappointed with every tour in the future!
    Last year the Giro was the best of the Grand Tours. The TDF was a bit meh. The Vuelta needs to respond next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Last year the Giro was the best of the Grand Tours. The TDF was a bit meh. The Vuelta needs to respond next year.

Vuelta 2010 was amazing...no responding needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In fairness, there is rarely a boring Giro.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Was anyone watching the highlights on tg4 tonight.
    There was a little nostalgic film at the start, an old black and white but there was a very familiar face in it....
    Does anyone know if Sean Kellys great grandad was a cyclist in the tour de France back in the day, or was the film just a mock up. If it was genuine I've never seen such an amazing likeness,

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

stevieob wrote: »
    Was anyone watching the highlights on tg4 tonight.
    There was a little nostalgic film at the start, an old black and white but there was a very familiar face in it....
    Does anyone know if Sean Kellys great grandad was a cyclist in the tour de France back in the day, or was the film just a mock up. If it was genuine I've never seen such an amazing likeness,

they got sean kelly and a crew to cycle up the galibier (or maybe some other climb) in the old kit and bikes a few years ago. looked like torture. theres a vid on youtube somewhere im sure... the smooth tarmac should have given it away!!... watched the tg4 highlights as well. some stunning shots of the scenery in that opening section. especially liked the snowy ones

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It was the Tourmalet 100th anniversary of its inclusion in the Tour, last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

"Evans is going to kill himself on the front and then the others are going to ride right by" David Harmon yesterday as the camera cut to a grimacing Evans going up the Galibier.Brillant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Evans was fantastic yesterday but it annoyed me how the rest of them just sat there. The two europecar boys should have done more, after all they did have the jersey and were still lucky to have it after. Basso too I thought could have worked a little harder to try and close that gap and don't even get me started with Frank!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

eeeerrrrr i wouldnt build your hopes up, seen too many epic stages just fizzle out

(but i hope it doesnt)

Well for once a stage (or match) lived up to it's billing! Couldn't get over the number of people who were talking about it after our MTB club race last night ..... is nobody working these days?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RPL1 wrote: »
    Well for once a stage (or match) lived up to it's billing! Couldn't get over the number of people who were talking about it after our MTB club race last night ..... is nobody working these days?

NO. I pretty much took the rest of the day off after lunch :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

thats how the bus works, some of the older heads work out the time limit and try and work it out and get them in on time, if it looks like a number of will be struggling everyone sticks together and they will never exclude a bunch of riders that big.

80 odd riders outside the cut off yesterday so there proves the above

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

iregk wrote: »
    The two europecar boys should have done more,
    I don't think Voeckler had anymore. Did you see him after he crossed the line? It really was up to Evans to do the work.
    and don't even get me started with Frank!
    Frank played it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Evans was fantastic yesterday but it annoyed me how the rest of them just sat there. The two europecar boys should have done more, after all they did have the jersey and were still lucky to have it after. Basso too I thought could have worked a little harder to try and close that gap and don't even get me started with Frank!

So you expect him to contribute to the chase behind his little brother??

IMO Lay-oh-pard finally got their tactics right yesterday, the early break to help Andy on the descent of the Izoard and ascent of the Galibier, and then Frank was sitting the yellow jersey group ready to attack if they worked too hard to bring back Andy. They got is so right and deserved the victory.

But yes Evans was a bit shafted by the other GC guys not pulling through.

So you expect him to contribute to the chase behind his little brother??

Yes, I'd compete with the brother! He ain't that far off...

That said I fully understand and accept what Frank did it just annoyed me something fierce. Sat there all day and then jumping at the last bit. If a guy did that in our club he'd get a hiding from the rest of us for being a pr**k.

Looking at how TV did finish the stage I would agree and think he was probably shot and just pure desire kept him there. The rest though, Basso in particular could have helped out. That climb was perfect for him, suited his style down to the ground.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That said I fully understand and accept what Frank did it just annoyed me something fierce. Sat there all day and then jumping at the last bit. If a guy did that in our club he'd get a hiding from the rest of us for being a pr**k.

What club are you in? In most clubs you'd get a hiding for chasing a team mate who's up the road.

el tonto wrote: »
    What club are you in? In most clubs you'd get a hiding for chasing a team mate who's up the road.

Sibling rivalry out strips team orders. Frank that's your brother and he's winning. Roast the bastard and afterwards, give him a chinese burn!

Advertisement