Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 21, Stage 18: Pinerolo - Galibier Serre-Chevalier 189km

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Karagesh

I have climbed both these mountains (over 2 days in 2010) and the descents could be a factor here. I did the Col Agnel from the French side and when we got to the summit the view of the road into the Italian side scared me. I wouldnt fancy coming up it. The road surfaces aren't great in places either.

My mate ended up crashing on the decent of the Col Agnel. His bike was crap but still it was dangerous. The locals were telling us someone dies every year and a few people end up with injuries that permanently disable them, as they carted him off in an ambulance.

Alberto to win for me. I'm hoping for attacks from all angles!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Has it started yet, is there anyone of note in the break, Roche, has Conti attacked yet, have the Schlecks got their wing-mirrors on, has Evans broken down, is Basso smilling yet, has Tommmmy attacked...........bring it on :pac:

Seriously tho, this stage is savage, not only ALL the climbing but the altitude aswell, up to 2700m then back down, then back up to 2400m, back down and then finish on 2600m, and it's not a sportive it's gonna be raced at a furious pace !!, it shouldn't be allowed, it's some kind of sick joke gone wrong, but...............I'll watch it all the same :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Today's route is so demanding that it may well be an anti-climax, as everyone hangs on for dear life. It's equally possible that it could be the stage for a career-defining performance from one or more riders. If Andy Schleck takes 10 minutes out of Contador, Cadel et al, a lot of the comments on here over the last week or so will look very foolish. He seems to have ridden like a clown so far and frustrated his fans, but it could be part of a shrewd plan. Who knows? A lot could have changed by tonight. Let's hope that it lives up to expectations and we see a new hero emerge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

nomadic wrote: »
    Yea, there'll probably just be action on the last climb. It'd be great to see them attack from the first climb but that's not going to happen.

You'd never know given the unpredictability of this Tour.

Like others here I've enjoyed Bertie's attacks despite everything.
    I'll be hoping the Schleks continue to do nothing, that Voeckler can hang on for as long as possible and that Evans comes out on top.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

From eurosport.com:
    The peloton was driving along at a fierce pace early on today -pushing a barmy 60 km/h. 20 riders caused a split but have been reeled in, although two men are now ahead of the bunch: Marco Marcato (Vacansoleil) and Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank). Just kidding, Bertie's not there... it's a FDJ rider, of course: Gianni Meersman. The duo have 12 seconds over the bunch.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Sanchez at 13/2 for todays stage is a great bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Has it started yet, is there anyone of note in the break, Roche, has Conti attacked yet, have the Schlecks got their wing-mirrors on, has Evans broken down, is Basso smilling yet, has Tommmmy attacked...........bring it on :pac:
    They've done a bit over 21km at this stage, nice 'live' graphic ticker here:
    http://gaps.letour.fr/us.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

'mon the Roachmeister!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

ITV have good updates on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

If Andy Schleck takes 10 minutes out of Contador, Cadel et al, a lot of the comments on here over the last week or so will look very foolish. He seems to have ridden like a clown so far and frustrated his fans, but it could be part of a shrewd plan.

It would still be a real pity to see someone win the Tour like that - with a distinct lack of class in all the other disciplines. Wouldn't be a popular winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If Andy Schleck takes 10 minutes out of Contador, Cadel et al, a lot of the comments on here over the last week or so will look very foolish.
    That's a big IF. We can only call it as we see it, Bill.

Cheers Rovi, might aswell get all the links going: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Rovi wrote: »
    They've done a bit over 21km at this stage, nice 'live' graphic ticker here:
    http://gaps.letour.fr/us.php

It says snow has been falling on the final climb, I wonder if it will be cut out of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Roche up near front maybe looking for break?

Edit: Roche in break of 16, 45seconds ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Roche = Jeremy Roy mark II

That is all :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

any live links ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

goods wrote: »
    any live links ?

Won't be on 'til 12.30 - http://www.cyclingfans.com/tdf18.html

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

I think Cadel will have a strong showing today on the Galibier . Dont see him losing to much time to the super climbers. As for a dark horse for a stage win , maybe Basso as he needs something to save a poor tour.
    That breakaway group will be in pieces on the Izoard , the drop down to Briancon is an entertaining spin too .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Roche up near front maybe looking for break?

Edit: Roche in break of 16, 45seconds ahead.

Good on Nico, but you have to ask if this is the best day for a break for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Anyone else finding it much more exciting these last couple of days with Roche trying to get in every break going instead of trying to stay with Schleck, Contador et al, even though he only ever has a slim chance of a top ten even with so many contenders crashing out?

Somebody said it last year, has he really got what it takes to ride for the GC? Ok, he's had a bad year this year with crashes so that doesnt help, but even last year if Gadret had helped him he would have at best scraped top ten. Surely we'd all prefer to see a proper shot at a stage win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's interesting that Leopard Trek, BMC, and Euskatel have a couple of their riders in the breakaway, presumably the plan would be for them to help their respective team leaders later on in the day. But no Saxo Bank riders in the breakaway to help Bertie later on.
    Although if Bertie attacks the way he can, he won't need any help!

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Good on Nico, but you have to ask if this is the best day for a break for him?

Stages made for a break are gone really.

3 mountian stages to go he might aswell have a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Surely we'd all prefer to see a proper shot at a stage win.

Top ten is worth more to him than a stage win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

AG2R are still 2 mins down on second place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

el tonto wrote: »
    Top ten is worth more to him than a stage win.

The question remains, is he up to a top ten challenge in the Tour. Seems to me that he needs to be very lucky, hope others have bad days/crash, rather than being able to challenge on his own merit.

Yehaa Nico in the break, 1:40 ahead of 3 riders, 6:10 ahead of peloton, can he win, nah surely not, but maybe, eitherway it adds to the excitement.
    If the stage gets boring at any time, check out the photos so far in the tour. Click arrow << for other stages. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The question remains, is he up to a top ten challenge in the Tour. Seems to me that he needs to be very lucky, hope others have bad days/crash, rather than being able to challenge on his own merit.

He's already managed a top ten finish at a Grand Tour and came quite close at last year's Tour. I don't think its an unreasonable target.

el tonto wrote: »
    He's already managed a top ten finish at a Grand Tour and came quite close at last year's Tour. I don't think its an unreasonable target.

and hes in virtual 10th place now :pac::pac::pac:

(tongue firmly in cheek before anybody starts !!! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

D3PO wrote: »
    and hes in virtual 10th place now :pac::pac::pac:

(tongue firmly in cheek before anybody starts !!! )

TdF live ticker says Roche's group is 7min 25 sec ahead of the main bunch.
    Only another 7 minutes to gain and Nico will be in virtual yellow! :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement