Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should religion be taught in schools?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Malty_T wrote: »
    Also, what other means of inquiry do you purpose that might be superior to skepticism?

Where did I mention skepticism?

Now that we're on it though, it is possible for skepticism to be as irrational as belief. Well placed skepticism is a gift, poorly placed skepticism is useless.

Also, it is a gift not only to be skeptical, but also expose the skepticism to skepticism recursively.

partyatmygaff - you're another example of someone defying the nonsense of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Actually i think they should teach about different religions and how they affect culture from around the world and the history of religions i think having a religious class like we do now is pointless.

Also id probaly find a class like what i said really interesting if i had it when i was in school, butt owww noo the teacher didn't like me drawings pictures of jesus on the cross and i was banned from her class !

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Last time I checked you believed in almost the exact same fairy tales.:pac:

Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught by a person who describes Catholicism as "fairy tales"?

The anti-Catholic venom displayed by so many posters is, in itself, an excellent argument for Catholic control over the education of Catholic children.

Given that your definition of "Anti-Catholic" seems to be someone who critiques your own exact view of Catholicism I can't help but point out that that actually include Catholics as well. Constructive criticism in any organisation should be welcome, not shunned.

A lot of your comments go far beyond criticism. Mockery, ridicule and hate-mongering against Catholicism would be a more accurate description of many of your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

crucamim wrote: »
    Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught by a person who describes Catholicism as "fairy tales"?
    There are plenty of other subjets - No one would expect a non catholic to be instructing children in catholicism. This instruction is better outside of the state school system.
    The anti-Catholic venom displayed by so many posters is, in itself, an excellent argument for Catholic control over the education of Catholic children.
    I say most people would be OK with this; if people want to be privately educated.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »

No one would expect a non catholic to be instructing children in catholicism.

Nor in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Nor in anything else.

What is that? ^
    Is that supposed to make sense?

St.Spodo wrote: »
    What made it even more annoying was that there was perhaps 7 or 8 non-Catholics.

Was this in a school owned by the Catholic Church? If so, are you suggesting that the syllabus should have been changed to accommodate the aliens?

What is that? ^
    Is that supposed to make sense?

A non-Catholic should not be teaching a Catholic child in any subject. I am sorry that I had not made that clear.

So. You have the right to live without having your organisation which protected its child raping members being described as vile.
    You have the right to live without having your organisation which would have me pay for their crimes in tax being described as vile.
    The pro water lobby have the right to live without water being described as wet.:rolleyes:

Is your incitement to hate legal?

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    The only reason the religious orders want to keep religion as a part of the curriculum in primary schools, is because they know that if was left up to the parents to teach their kids about religion, half the children of ireland would grow up totally ignorant of catholic theology

They also know that it is far far easier to get people to believe in christianity (or any other religion) when they are young impressionable and naive or otherwise vulnerable to suggestion

What could be wrong with any of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

A non-Catholic should not be teaching a Catholic child in any subject. I am sorry that I had not made that clear.

You made that clear. The question was why do you believe that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

A lot of your comments go far beyond criticism. Mockery, ridicule and hate-mongering against Catholicism would be a more accurate description of many of your posts.

I've no problem at all mocking and ridiculing catholicism. Anyone who believes a man (sorry, no ordinary man, a GODLY man) walked on water 2000 years ago, resurrected from the dead, multiplied food with the wave of a magic wand, divided seas, turned people into salt, was asexually conceived, etc deserves to be ridiculed.

Any institution complicit in the rape of children, discrimination of homosexuals, etc deserves to be mocked and ridiculed.

strobe wrote: »
    You made that clear. The question was why do you believe that?

To keep Catholic children safe from anti-Catholics.

Tehachapi wrote: »
    I've no problem at all mocking and ridiculing catholicism. Anyone who believes a man (sorry, no ordinary man, a GODLY man) walked on water 2000 years ago, resurrected from the dead, multiplied food with the wave of a magic wand, divided seas, turned people into salt, was asexually conceived, etc deserves to be ridiculed.

Any institution complicit in the rape of children, discrimination of homosexuals, etc deserves to be mocked and ridiculed.

Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught by you or by anyone who might think like you do? Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught in the same school as your children or alongside the children of anyone who thinks as you do?

Can you guarantee that your children would not mock Catholicism while in the presence of Catholics? Can you guarantee that they would not beat up Catholic children. Can you guarantee that your children would not make dishonest allegations against Catholic teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught by you or by anyone who might think like you do? Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught in the same school as your children or alongside the children of anyone who thinks as you do?

Can you guarantee that your children would not mock Catholicism while in the presence of Catholics? Can you guarantee that they would not beat up Catholic children. Can you guarantee that your children would not make dishonest allegations against Catholic teachers?
    Teach them from home if its an issue for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Was this in a school owned by the Catholic Church? If so, are you suggesting that the syllabus should have been changed to accommodate the aliens?

So they should not be accommodated but you should ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

You could be onto something here! I think left handed children should only be taught by left handed people too, in a left handed school, funded by a left handed government. After all, there's no guarantee that left handed children can be kept safe from the attacks of right handed children!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

if you are comfortable within your faith,why would you care what other people say ?.if a teacher has a catholic teaching cert.why would you wish to reject them as not suitable,? ,because of a few catholic schools discriminating against irish children,they are putting ireland to shame, under the constitution,the state has a duty to ENSURE that all children receive a certain minimum education, as the state are unable to provide enough non religious schools outside the cities,its up to everyone else to muck in. by the vatican run schools rejecting non catholics,they are doing ireland no favours.and soon [,like it is happening or happened in other countries]will find themselves in breach of new state laws.and yes ireland has signed up to EU and UN codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

561 posts and still nothing original on this thread.

YAWN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

philologos wrote: »
    I see the assumption that science somehow is the only legitimate means of enquiry has seeped into the thread.
    Science is really a method, ie taking all the available evidence and coming to a conclusion based on that evidence.
    What other legitimate methods of enquiry are there?

This is a pointless discussion - what a crackpot suggestion.

YAWN
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

is this dont take non catholic children in our schools because they may contaminate our kids,just a irish thing ,?in england and wales it doesent seem to be a problem for the church, over 800,000 children go to catholic schools who are not catholics,ie 25% of children in catholic schools in england are not catholic,one school in london has 80% of its students are non catholic,in wales 30% of their children in catholic schools are not catholic.why in ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Tehachapi wrote: »

There's a distinction made between "Godly man" and "God incarnate". Again, I must repeat myself, how can God (A supreme being In other words) be limited in the same way as lesser beings? Indeed, how can he be anything but unlimited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

There's a distinction made between "Godly man" and "God incarnate". Again, I must repeat myself, how can God (A supreme being In other words) be limited in the same way as lesser beings? Indeed, how can be anything but unlimited?

You're talking in riddles.

There's a distinction made between "Godly man" and "God incarnate". Again, I must repeat myself, how can God (A supreme being In other words) be limited in the same way as lesser beings? Indeed, how can be anything but unlimited?

In a universe that contains a god that can suspend the laws of physics at will, we can hardly expect anything to be limited at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

mgmt wrote: »
    You're talking in riddles.
    Not at all. It's very simple. From the point of view of someone who does believe in God there is the following very simple hierarchy.

God -> Existence (That is to say the "world" and not existence as a state of being)

Existence and all within it that is produced by it is limited in ability. God however is unlimited in ability. Therefore I see no issue with him being not restricted by what we know to be the laws of physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Existence and all within it that is produced by it is limited in ability. God however is unlimited in ability. Therefore I see no issue with him being not restricted by what we know to be the laws of physics.

You can say the exact same thing about Santa Claus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

YAWN

And this post certainly upped the WOW factor!!!!!

Advertisement