Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should religion be taught in schools?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

crucamim wrote: »
    Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught by you or by anyone who might think like you do? Why should any Catholic allow his child to be taught in the same school as your children or alongside the children of anyone who thinks as you do?

Can you guarantee that your children would not mock Catholicism while in the presence of Catholics? Can you guarantee that they would not beat up Catholic children. Can you guarantee that your children would not make dishonest allegations against Catholic teachers?

Shouldnt they just turn the other cheek?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mgmt wrote: »
    You can say the exact same thing about Santa Claus.
    Except there comes a point where we know Santa Claus is not real. Yet believers in god spend their life obsessing over it.

Or Superman.... oh except for a slight Kryptonite allergy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

When will people stop using this ridiculous argument? I really don't want to work with this argument but you leave me with no choice.

If Santa Claus is unlimited as is God, why does he use reindeers to travel across the world? Surely if he is unlimited he would not be limited by something as trivial as location.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

When will people stop using this ridiculous argument? I really don't want to work with this argument but you leave me with no choice.

If Santa Claus is unlimited as is God, why does he use reindeers to travel across the world? Surely if he is unlimited he would not be limited by something as trivial as location.

Who are you to question the almighty Santa Claus!?

• Advertisement

If god is unlimited and around us all the time then why has he NEVER made his presence knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Jesus could apparently heal the sick. But he only healed the sick who he happened to come across. Was he limited by location or was he just a c*nt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

No one is saying that they are exactly the same.
    Just that to believe in such a fantastical thing is the same.

It does not matter anyhow, because the fact of the matter is that an awful lot of people do not believe in the catholic god, therefore should not be subjected to learning about 'him' in schools.

That's really all there is to it.
    It is irrelevant as to who is right or wrong on the subject of religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Take it to the Santa vs God thread:pac:

If God is unlimited why did he have to kill his own son for a sin that his own creation seems to have by default?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

partyatmygaff: Just ignore all references to Santa, FSM, and other such tripe. People who bring these up aren't interested in seriously discussing the question. It saves time to do things that way.

Jesus could apparently heal the sick. But he only healed the sick who he happened to come across. Was he limited by location or was he just a c*nt?

Attention seeker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

:rolleyes:

If God is unlimited why did he have to kill his own son for a sin that his own creation seems to have by default?

What sin other than what they have done themselves is what I'd ask you?

I don't believe He had to either, I believe that He did because it was the clearest way of demonstrating to mankind that He forgave them and that this forgiveness had a price.

Oh yes, and you're forgetting that Christians believe that Jesus was resurrected.

philologos wrote: »
    partyatmygaff: Just ignore all references to Santa, FSM, and other such tripe. WE have no real comeback against these.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

HE didn't.

What sin other than what they have done themselves is what I'd ask you? Ah like new born babies?
    That original sin thing is a neat trick.
    I don't believe He had to either, I believe that He did because it was the clearest way of demonstrating to mankind that He forgave them and that this forgiveness had a price.

Oh yes, and you're forgetting that Christians believe that Jesus was resurrected.

partyatmygaff: Just ignore all references to Santa, FSM, and other such tripe. There is simply no reasonable comparison.

Fixed your post quoting my post :pac:

What sin other than what they have done themselves is what I'd ask you?

Original sin perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

it was the clearest way of demonstrating to mankind that He forgave them and that this forgiveness had a price.

Hardly the clearest way.

Random question (probably not relevant, just curious on your opinion):
    Why do we have temptation?

• Advertisement

Fixed your post quoting my post :pac:

How about Thor?
    I heard thunder the other day. Proof!!!!

What am I supposed to believe in respect to "original sin" that you speak about?

Personally I believe that Jesus died for the sins of the world, all of them that they themselves committed.

What am I supposed to believe in respect to "original sin" that you speak about?

Personally I believe that Jesus died for the sins of the world, all of them that they themselves committed.

Ah. So we have to take into account your own personal take on things now. This is getting complicated. There I was thinking that catholicism was cut and dried. Please let me know any of your other personal interpretations so we can proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ah. So we have to take into account your own personal take on things now. This is getting complicated. There I was thinking that catholicism was cut and dried. Please let me know any of your other personal interpretations so we can proceed
    Not all Christians agree with the Roman Catholic doctrine of original sin. I am not a Catholic and as far as I am aware neither is philologos.

Jethropool wrote: »
    Original sin perhaps?

I would argue that man is inclined towards sin as a result of his free will. I wouldn't argue that man is guilty of the sin of anyone else.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    Hardly the clearest way.

A good deal clearer than if He hadn't.
    Seachmall wrote: »
    Random question (probably not relevant, just curious on your opinion):
    Why do we have temptation?

See what I've said to Jethropool above.

Funnily enough, I'm not a Roman Catholic and I've told people this on numerous occasions. I'm a Christian who would fit broadly into the evangelical camp.

I would argue that man is inclined towards sin as a result of his free will.

You think that man has an inclination towards sin simply because he is capable of it? That strikes me as a very joyless view of mankind, as well as an unacceptable generalisation.

Back to the original topic... Everyone has their own meaning for life. If you want to waste it by worshipping something that you think is there, then do it. If you want your kids to be the same then teach them that way. But it's not the place of a school.

Jethropool wrote: »
    You think that man has an inclination towards sin simply because he is capable of it? That strikes me as a very joyless view of mankind, as well as an unacceptable generalisation.

I believe mans heart is inclined towards evil. All you need to do is pick up the newspaper and see what screwed up stuff that people have done today. Honestly I can look back at my life and say that I've done some screwed up things, take stock of that and be accountable for it. Accountable to others, myself and ultimately to my Creator. I want to live as He wanted me to live.

The good news is that I can because the Lord Jesus made a way for me to be able to. That's why I praise God. He has guided me and He has shown me the way that leads to life.

That's why I praise God. He has guided me and He has shown me the way that leads to life.

He has not guided you in the slightest, your upbringing guided you to believe in a misconception. It's a matter of circumstance, if you had been born in another country you would have a different god, different beliefs and a very different life. And you can't bring that back to your faith or your path that god has chosen... it's to do with the belief in a god that your parents/teachers/whoever believed in and passed on to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

I believe mans heart is inclined towards evil. All you need to do is pick up the bible and see what screwed up stuff that people have done today. Honestly I can look back at my life and say that I've done some screwed up things, take stock of that and be accountable for it. Accountable to others, myself and ultimately to my Creator. I want to live as He wanted me to live.

The good news is that I can because the Lord Jesus made a way for me to be able to. That's why I praise God. He has guided me and He has shown me the way that leads to life.

FYP. Shocking violent perverted book!

Advertisement