Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice : Madness returns (EPIC)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Since you have to pay to get a review anyway

erm

no you dont?

where on earth did you hear such nonsense

Except Edios: Give us a the full of your front cover and at least an 8/10 and you get an early copy to review.

early reviews are different

i could tell you at least 5 BIG companies who offer embargo breaks in exchange for minimum score thresholds, but that's not buying scores

i usually post up here when anyone is operating a policy like that for a certain game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Helix wrote: »

i could tell you at least 5 BIG companies who offer embargo breaks in exchange for minimum score thresholds, but that's not openly buying scores but its not far from it because a games company wouldn't need to do it if their games were good enough

i usually post up here when anyone is operating a policy like that for a certain game

FYP :pac:

To be fair it is kind of like buying scores if a website want to seem that they are the first to get out a review ie exclusivity is more important than dignity.

Also since you occasionally read Kotaku I included their brief coverage of the EIDOS incident:

http://kotaku.com/328244/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review

i mentioned the eidos thing earlier. thats not buying scores, thats a company pulling advertising, or threatening to do so

its slightly different, and it does VERY OCCASIONALLY happen, but it's not quite what many people think

there seems to be this idea that companies send a game to reviewers along with a big pile of cash for good reviews. it doesnt happen. reviewers, for the most part, have nothing to do with ad sales, so something like the kane and lynch thing is rarely a factor

re the good enough thing, Mass Effect 2 came with the offer of breaking embargo if you gave it a certain score, and that's certainly rated quite highly by many (not by me)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

no idea, dont read any game sites apart from kotaku the odd time to be honest. but the whole idea that publishers give reviewers a big sack of cash to say they like the game is ridiculous in the extreme

stuff goes on, but its subtle, and its nothing like people think. as i mentioned there have been cases where someone has threatened to pull advertising, or the more common thing where the publishers' pr company put on a load of events and treat the journos like gods in order to get favourable coverage, but that's not really the same thing. theres never anything implied by it

No offence m8, but I would not call you a traditional reviewer these days. You are a gamer in the first place and then reviewer, which very very good in my eyes. I get a feeling that game reviewers became some cynical critics ( love you yatzee :) ) and forgot theyr roots of gamers. Very similar to cocky movies critics.

You know more about it, but I still think alot of reviews are bought In major websites. It would not be like this: here is 5 quid, now give us 9! The way I see it: reviewer can't be a total dick to a game which is advertised everywhere on it's website!!! It will look bad if someone destroys game which is advertised on theyr own website. The company wont buy advertisements in website if they give them hugely bad reviews. Perfect example is duke and gearbox. They announced that they will be more selective with who they will give to review theyr future games.

This is a reason u don't trust review much these days. Duke was a good example, game was not that good, but it did not deserved 3/10. Alice is a perfect example, where gamers just love it, and reviewers just destroy it.

Btw our little forum is not the only place, who love this game!

• Advertisement

No offence m8, but I would not call you a traditional reviewer these days. You are a gamer in the first place and then reviewer

unfortunately its a long time since i played a game for any reason other than it was work :(

unfortunately its a long time since i played a game for any reason other than it was work :(

Yes, but s far I could trust your reviews 100%. I bought 2 games on your review alone. Bouth games were spot on. Thing is you still look at the game as gamer and you keep in mind one important part that most modern reviewers forget: fun factor.

I really hope you will get some more time with games m8.I dot of know the feeling. I cook for living and I haven't cooked at home in years ;). Specially when I am pastry chef, misses disappointed :).

Part of me wants to give you a hug :(

Think we should leave the paying reviewers bit aside though now as it is kind of derailling the thread. We have different views on what constitutes paying for a bumped score and I'm happy to leave it at that.

Still replaying original Alice on work breaks, liking it but time hasn't done its visuals any favours (IMO) but still a decent romp so far and probably was stunning in its day (I can't remember very well). Hope to get it done on the weekend. Waiting on Alice 2 to arrive by post 28euro brand new from Amazon compared to 40 in local shop and 50 on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hope to get it done on the weekend. Waiting on Alice 2 to arrive by post 28euro brand new from Amazon compared to 40 in local shop and 50 on steam.

My copy arrived today, and because of internet peoples i am going to play the original first (5 or 6 hours i believe) and then get stuck into Madness Returns. Can't wait, first game is at 45% installed!!! And i'm off work tomorrow night so marathon gaming session of Alice to be had until 6am Saturday! Yurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

absolutely love the artwork and the darkish goth theme. reminded me of the violence alice comic which i love.

the battle tho, is really average. the control scheme is defo made for consoles, i am playing on pc so i feel really awkward:( it is average like many critics said, nothing oustanding but it is fine. i am saying this as a huge action games fan so the battle system is a let down to me. the ridiculous dodge and jump-glide are game breaking and i dont like that they try to maintain the difficulty by swarming you with alot enemies at the same time - it just feels cheap. and then the repetitiveness grows really quick too.

overall i think that the graphics is the main selling point and followed by a mildly interesting story. most western action games suffer in the battle system anyway but they are always backed up by huge budget graphics and more polished gameplay. i kinda understand why most critics keep saying that Alice2 is average. i really feel like the team could have spent more time on polishing this game. Recommend it only when the price gets cheap. or unless you really like this artwork :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

seraphimvc wrote: »
    absolutely love the artwork and the darkish goth theme. reminded me of the violence alice comic which i love.

the battle tho, is really average. the control scheme is defo made for consoles, i am playing on pc so i feel really awkward:( it is average like many critics said, nothing oustanding but it is fine. i am saying this as a huge action games fan so the battle system is a let down to me. the ridiculous dodge and jump-glide are game breaking and i dont like that they try to maintain the difficulty by swarming you with alot enemies at the same time - it just feels cheap. and then the repetitiveness grows really quick too.

overall i think that the graphics is the main selling point and followed by a mildly interesting story. most western action games suffer in the battle system anyway but they are always backed up by huge budget graphics and more polished gameplay. i kinda understand why most critics keep saying that Alice2 is average. i really feel like the team could have spent more time on polishing this game. Recommend it only when the price gets cheap. or unless you really like this artwork :P

Each to his own, but i dont know how anyone couldnt enjoy the combat in the game. Maybe its worse on a kb&m, i used a pad on my pc and found it fine. If anything i enjoy its combat more than i did god of war 3/bayonetta.
    I like how theres a right weapon for almost every enemy, and when it makes you fight multiple enemies i didnt find it cheap, i thought it was an excuse to get you to mix up the action with each of the weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

erm

no you dont?

where on earth did you hear such nonsense

GF released an iPhone game, no mainstream site would do a review without being paid.

i could tell you at least 5 BIG companies who offer embargo breaks in exchange for minimum score thresholds, but that's not buying scores

I think it is.
    You don't have to use money to buy something.

GF released an iPhone game, no mainstream site would do a review without being paid.

was the game absolutely woeful?

was the game absolutely woeful?

Anyone that did review it gave a good one.
    Except one guy, but that flaw was fixed :D

(Would it be considered shilling to post a link? :p)

You lost me here?!? are these two unrelated statements, poor me is confused

You lost me here?!? are these two unrelated statements, poor me is confused

I think I see what you did there...

It may be considered advertising, I'd appreciate a link. Living with an iphone game developer for a couple of years and he just got shipped out to San Fran to be a project lead

Unless of course you are the most elaborate sock puppet since the internet began :eek: and your 3000+ posts have led to this one piece of misdirection:P, the mind of me is intrigued regardless :pac:

Anyone that did review it gave a good one.
    Except one guy, but that flaw was fixed :D

what happened there is very uncommon, but i suspect it was a case that they simply werent bothered reviewing a no mark game (which i mean without any disrespect) when they had plenty of games from proper developers to review

what time of year was the game released? i suspect youd have more luck with something like that between july and september

Not if you tell us how you are shilling in which case it ceases to be shilling although may be considered advertising, either way, I'd appreciate a link.

Ahem...
    what happened there is very uncommon, but i suspect it was a case that they simply werent bothered reviewing a no mark game (which i mean without any disrespect) when they had plenty of games from proper developers to review

Maybe it's different for big name publishers, but any site with half a name for itself wanted money.
    I was very surprised when she said Edge (Praised be it's glorious name) were the same.
    what time of year was the game released? i suspect youd have more luck with something like that between july and september

Went live like 3 months ago.

• Advertisement

i assume then its a case that none of them were arsed bothering with it. you cant blame them. im the eic of a magazine over here in canada and i wouldnt review anything like that i was asked to, i suppose asking for money would be a handy way to say no nicely and earn a few quid if they wanted to pay it though :P

but no, publishers and developers dont pay to have their games reviewed

i suppose asking for money would be a handy way to say no nicely and earn a few quid if they wanted to pay it though :P

Excellent point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Back on topic please. This is a thread about Alice, not a thread to discuss review shenanigans.

Go ahead and start a new thread if you want. Cheers. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Back on topic please. This is a thread about Alice, not a thread to discuss review shenanigans.

Go ahead and start a new thread if you want. Cheers. :)

Alice rocks! :p

Alice rocks! :p

Indeed, I am liking the first alot at the minute, can't wait to get the second, how long does the first one last ie minimum gameplay hours? (I am not far in due to stupid job requiring me to work)

Started last night.
    Wow.
    Spent about 2-3 hours on it last night.
    Amazing.
    Combat was a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of multiple enemies, it's pretty sweet. The dodge is a great mechanic, not just in usefulness but how it looks too.

And dying isn't a pain in the ass either :D

For as long as this game lasts, Duke can eat sh!t and die.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My own review copy finally arrived on my desk this morning, can't wait to get stuck into it this evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just finished chapter 1 last night, and I really love it. Excellent game.

It started getting really good near the end with some tough enemy encounters. Can't wait to see where the story goes next.

The bad reviews are bizarre, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Started last night.
    Wow.
    Spent about 2-3 hours on it last night.
    Amazing.
    Combat was a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of multiple enemies, it's pretty sweet. The dodge is a great mechanic, not just in usefulness but how it looks too.

And dying isn't a pain in the ass either :D

For as long as this game lasts, Duke can eat sh!t and die.

Great to see so many people enjoying this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

is this people enjoying the xbox version also ?? Im thinking of buying today ?? worth the investment ?

Advertisement