Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice : Madness returns (EPIC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I do hardly take notice of them but ign did a video just showing the games bugs and thought the whole game was like that , rather listen to people like yourself here.

IGN's review was a joke. They were going on about invisible walls ruining the game and other ridiculous problems (i think i found 1 invisible wall in 15 hours). And the only bug i found was the one where you have trouble walking up a step, but that can be fixed by jsut jumping up it. The complaints about bugs are stupid considering so many high profile games come with tons of bugs nowadays. By comparison Alice is relatively bug free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

By comparison Alice is relatively bug free.

And way more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Deathrider's Daily update :)
    Playing Chapter 5 here at the moment. Things just got intensly creepy in this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Need some help,if i buy the dlc code of the first game off ebay will it work or do i need to have the game disc to work it.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Yeah you must own the game as you select an option to play the original in Madness returns option menu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

tonydude wrote: »
    Need some help,if i buy the dlc code of the first game off ebay will it work or do i need to have the game disc to work it.Thanks

If you have the disc but no code, then you can buy the Original through the main menu of the game. Only reason to buy on ebay is if it works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

IGN's review was a joke. They were going on about invisible walls ruining the game and other ridiculous problems (i think i found 1 invisible wall in 15 hours). And the only bug i found was the one where you have trouble walking up a step, but that can be fixed by jsut jumping up it. The complaints about bugs are stupid considering so many high profile games come with tons of bugs nowadays. By comparison Alice is relatively bug free.

Paid reviewers are often told how to rate a game by their superiors who are usually slipped money from publishers whose interest is in selling. I don't trust reviews on media, only small user reviews and plenty of them... and even then only to find out if it's terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Paid reviewers are often told how to rate a game by their superiors who are usually slipped money from publishers whose interest is in selling

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sophisticated rebuttal there, Helix. Seriously, though. Prove me wrong. Anyone got any expereience in reviewing? I used to review things and then I turned to parody reviews. I actually know a film director who still does an occasional reviews and he is informed roughly the score he should be scoring certain games. He gets to write the review (obviously) but he is indeed told how good a game should be reviewed. If you don't believe that it's just another sponsored industry, tell it to that gamespot employee that got fired for giving Kayne & Lynch (I think it was that game) a bad review after the publishers paid for a big advertising campaign all over the site.

Not all sites and reviewers are in with it duh, but I don't bother trying to figure out whose who. Stickin' with quick user reviews and forum talk to get an idea how a game is. I dunno if I'll be picking this game up anytime soon tho, moneys tight and I've got my attention on some other games right now.

Sophisticated rebuttal there, Helix. Seriously, though. Prove me wrong. Anyone got any expereience in reviewing?[

im a professional games journalist for irish and canadian publications

it doesnt happen the way youre going on about it

there are no envelopes, no shady deals. nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Helix wrote: »
    im a professional games journalist for irish and canadian publications

it doesnt happen the way youre going on about it

there are no envelopes, no shady deals. nothing.

Maybe your audience isn't big enough to be worth bribing :p

I'd question lots of the reviews for this game. Much like hardware and gadgets, its hard to find an honest review of anything these days. The only thing I trust is the opinions of those on forums like here

ive spoken to plenty of people working in the industry in bigger publications who will tell you the same thing

ive gone through it before, in this thread too afaik. developers make the games and are the only ones who care about scores. publishers hire pr and marketing firms who procure ads. theres no direct crossover between the people who care about the scores and the people buying the ads. pr people only care about column inches, good or bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Well here's one guy who thought might have something good to say , and frequently buys his own copy of a game to review

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3652-Alice-Madness-Returns

In other news, I finished the game the other day. Stunning stuff from start to finish. I'll certainly be replaying through this one.

calex71 wrote: »
    Well here's one guy who thought might have something good to say , and frequently buys his own copy of a game to review

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3652-Alice-Madness-Returns

Then why does it sound like he didn't even play the game?

The targeting system is the worst part of the game. Doesn't even get a mention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

calex71 wrote: »

I used to think he was a good reviewer but he seems to have gotten quite lazy of late

Yahtzees reviews are generally more for comedic effect than anything else really. Tho it does seem again like hes another reviewer playing a totally different game to what gamers are playing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

^^^^I always used to find his reviews funny, but recently they aren't even that funny, they just seem lazy, the Alice review would be a good example, normally he would pick out the minor irks in a game and over exaggerate them for fun, this review was like he didn't even try.

CramCycle wrote: »
    ^^^^I always used to find his reviews funny, but recently they aren't even that funny, they just seem lazy, the Alice review would be a good example, normally he would pick out the minor irks in a game and over exaggerate them for fun, this review was like he didn't even try.

Yeah to be honest it wasnt a great review really, just from the comedic side of things. He sounded a bit bored doing it really

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have to agree with you lads. As much as I love yatzee, his Alice review was not great, not funny and not accurate.

He bashed some of the games I really loved, but it was funny and he had the point. Alice review or funny bit was not good at all...

I actuolly thought he will like it... Weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I'm really suprised at how much enjoyment i'm getting from this game, very impressed with it.

Ah, he still makes me laugh though. I'd never take is his reviews seriously, I just like to chuckle at him hating on everything he can get his hands on.

well my internet went balls up and disconnects every 2 mins.

gave me opportunity to run away from everybody and play some sp games!

now in chapter 3. had really big issues with chapter 3 at the start... is there some issues with ATI cards? i played up till chapter 3 on nvidia 8800gt, but changed gpu to ati 6870.

it completly sorted itself when i entered that
    Japan style part of chapter 3, which is awesome!
    . i just was confused wtf was that all about. might it be becouse of physics thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Haven't had any trouble myself, using a 5850.

What problem did you have? Low FPS?
    Didnt have any problems there myself. Tho i did notice that using in game AA halves your FPS

HD4870, it stutters every now and again.

What problem did you have? Low FPS?
    Didnt have any problems there myself. Tho i did notice that using in game AA halves your FPS

i dunno m8, it was really weird. in chapter 3:
    the place where wonderlands is in pieces, huge vortex and debries
    it was really bad at times. i would just go out then start game again and it would be grand for a few seconds and then go balls up again.
    then i entered that japan style place
    and it went all grand. 60+++ fps with AA on.

i am thinking that it could be becouse of the physics thing. ati cant deal with it as its nvidia horsy.

i am thinking that it could be becouse of the physx thing. ati cant deal with it as its nvidia horsy.

fixed :D

Just a couple of videos i made. Footage from chapters 1 - 4, so if you aint seen em yet, dont spoil it for yourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked it up on 360 for €35 in HMV today. Should I play through the first one first or would I be as well to jump straight into the second?

Advertisement