Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

hsbc wrote: »
    Marcus Horan?????:confused::eek:

Given how little options we have there, I still think there is an argument to go the experienced route for backup to Healy - which of course Horan offers.

Court, I think, is on the plane so long as he can maintain fitness. It's whether or not he covers tight or loose. If he covers tight, then Horan comes too, or Wilkinson. If he covers loose, then Buckley comes..... or Hayes!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

If he covers loose, then Buckley comes..... or Hayes!
    It would have to be Hayes if it came down to that. Buckley hasn't played a game since March, I think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

WeeBushy wrote: »
    19 backs picked, 5 of which are SHs so assuming 3 of those go that means that of the rest only 3 will be cut, depending on his backs/fowards split.

2 of Murphy, Jones, Kearney and Duffy will go. Depending on fitness, but my guess is Kearney and Jones.

The last place will be a shoot out between Wallace, Trimble and McFadden imo. However Wallace is assured to go so Trimble vs. McFadden. I'd go with McFadden (and would pick Trimble and leave Wallace but that's never going to happen).

I think the SHs are going to be Reddan, Murray and O'Leary.

Nicely broken down. I reckon two scrum halves along with Murphy, Duffy and McFadden will be left at home.

That would leave 8 forwards being cut. Depends on the make up of the squad (17/13 or 16/14) but I think McCarthy, Wilkinson, Varley, MOD, McLaughlin, Horan, Buckley and Leamy or Jennings (most likely Jennings) will be cut.

Given how little options we have there, I still think there is an argument to go the experienced route for backup to Healy - which of course Horan offers.

Court, I think, is on the plane so long as he can maintain fitness. It's whether or not he covers tight or loose. If he covers tight, then Horan comes too, or Wilkinson. If he covers loose, then Buckley comes..... or Hayes!

Horan is there for show I think. Court is a loosehead that has played tighthead. Not the other way around. His appearances at 3 are very few and far between these days. Taking 3 players that are primarily looseheads would be very wasteful. I think Court, Healy, Hayes and Ross will travel as props. If there's another to travel, it should be a tighthead and not a loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

hsbc wrote: »
    Marcus Horan?????:confused::eek:

Horan being named is totally daft. McAllister and Wilkinson for example are far better players now.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    Horan is there for show I think. Court is a loosehead that has played tighthead. Not the other way around. His appearances at 3 are very few and far between these days. Taking 3 players that are primarily looseheads would be very wasteful. I think Court, Healy, Hayes and Ross will travel as props. If there's another to travel, it should be a tighthead and not a loose.
    jacothelad wrote:
    Horan being named is totally daft. McAllister and Wilkinson for example are far better players now.

I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just saying why I think Horan has been selected on the great squad.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there still only one slot available for a prop on the bench ie only a 22 match day squad? In this case, I'd be surprised if Court doesn't sub in every (high-profile) fixture. The question is, who acts as back up to the matchday squad? - none of the aforementioned fill me with confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

jacothelad wrote: »

Horan has been playing pretty well recently and I don't recall him ever being destroyed at scrum-time. Prop is probably the only position where I don't feel that we can try relatively untested players. He will be unpopular after his antics against Leinster though.

I'm delighted to see Murray in the squad. There were rumblings on MFs that he wasn't registered for the squad of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Geordan Murphy included , is Kidney possibly of the thinking Kearney wont be ready? And if so this is hardly the answer is it? Whats his form been like this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

so, I know there are some who cover other positions but basically its:

FBGavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)
    Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster)
    Geordan Murphy (Leicester)

Wing
    Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
    Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster) (or centre)
    Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster) (or FB)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

CentreGordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
    Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster) (3rd OH also)

OHRonan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)

SH
    Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster)
    Conor Murray (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
    Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)

Props
    Tony Buckley (Sale Sharks)
    Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
    Michael Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)

Hooker
    Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    Sean Cronin (Leinster)
    Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
    Damien Varley (Garryown/Munster)

Lock
    Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
    Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster) (also play back row)

BackrowS
    tephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
    Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
    Shane Jennings (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

There are a number who have to prove fitness

only the two OH still so Wallace will obviously be there as cover

2 SHs to go

theboss80 wrote: »
    Geordan Murphy included , is Kidney possibly of the thinking Kearney wont be ready? And if so this is hardly the answer is it? Whats his form been like this season?

ironically Murphy missed most of the season through injury as well

• Advertisement

So basically this squad announcement is useless then..

do you think that will avoid the hysteria?

In an ideal world where all fullbacks are fit and on form, Kearney and Murphy would be my selected 15s everytime. So long as that combo is still a possibility I'm happy for them both to be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Meh it's too big a squad to gleam any insight really.

Also Conor Murray plays for Garryowen, not Con. Cork won't steal him away from us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

19 backs picked, 5 of which are SHs so assuming 3 of those go that means that of the rest only 3 will be cut, depending on his backs/fowards split.

2 of Murphy, Jones, Kearney and Duffy will go. Depending on fitness, but my guess is Kearney and Jones.

The last place will be a shoot out between Wallace, Trimble and McFadden imo. However Wallace is assured to go so Trimble vs. McFadden. I'd go with McFadden (and would pick Trimble and leave Wallace but that's never going to happen).

I think the SHs are going to be Reddan, Murray and O'Leary.

Why is Wallace assured to go? I think he has had a poor season and he is simply too small for the physicality of international rugby. When was the last time he did anything of note in a green jersey apart from butcher a try against Wales this year and brainlessly almost costing us a grand slam 2 years ago? For OH we have JS, and ROG on the bench as cover (or vice versa). So we only need a sub who can cover the outside backs position-why have Wallace there solely for that? Not good enough when you have players liked McFadden, Jones, Trimble, Horgan all playing much better rugby. If Wallace is on the plane it will be a serious indictment of Kidney IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

would have liked to have seen jamie hagan there

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Why is Wallace assured to go?

because he can cover OH and centre so you save a spot in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No real shocks there really.

Hagan and Toner might have deserved more recognition, but neither would be going to the world cup anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Would have been interesting to see if Horgan would have been picked for the WC anyway, but it takes a bit of pressure off Kidney now.

Good for Leinster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

unless Bowe got injured I'd say there was never much chance of shaggy going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

wixfjord wrote: »
    Would have been interesting to see if Horgan would have been picked for the WC anyway, but it takes a bit of pressure off Kidney now.

Good for Leinster though.

I'm a bit in the dark on the seriousness of Horgan's injury/surgery - is he definitely ruled out of the World Cup? Or is he just not being considered for this training camp?

As durkadurka says, he is/was a long-shot to travel anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit in the dark on the seriousness of Horgan's injury/surgery - is he definitely ruled out of the World Cup? Or is he just not being considered for this training camp?

Release said none of the injured players will be available for the Guinness summer series. If Horgan cannot play in any of the warm up games, I would think there's zero chance of him being in consideration now. Awful shame because lets be honest, if we had to pick the two most on form Irish wingers of the past couple of months, Earls and Horgan would be our starting wingers. He probably wouldn't have been selected but to not even have the opportunity must be gutting for the big man. That's essentially the end of his international career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Why is Wallace assured to go? I think he has had a poor season and he is simply too small for the physicality of international rugby. When was the last time he did anything of note in a green jersey apart from butcher a try against Wales this year and brainlessly almost costing us a grand slam 2 years ago? For OH we have JS, and ROG on the bench as cover (or vice versa). So we only need a sub who can cover the outside backs position-why have Wallace there solely for that? Not good enough when you have players liked McFadden, Jones, Trimble, Horgan all playing much better rugby. If Wallace is on the plane it will be a serious indictment of Kidney IMHO.

Oh I agree with everything you say. But Kidney will pick him, like he always has.
    Riskymove wrote: »
    because he can cover OH and centre so you save a spot in the squad

This is such a myth imo, he doesn't cover 10. Maybe just about at magners league level but he doesn't cut it at all as a 3rd choice international 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

This is such a myth imo, he doesn't cover 10. Maybe just about at magners league level but he doesn't cut it at all as a 3rd choice international 10.

In the unlikely event that ROG and Sexton get injured. Who would cover the 10 spot ? I'm not talkin 10 minutes cover at the end of a match. If both first choice fly halfs were ruled out of a game who would Ireland start at 10 ? I always assumed it would be wallace but if he doesnt go what choice is left ?

well that is a different story but he is the 3rd OH in the team....he is an emergency OH

but he does free up a spot for a more strategic pick for the squad than a 3rd OH that wont see any action

Skunkle wrote: »
    In the unlikely event that ROG and Sexton get injured. Who would cover the 10 spot ?

they would send out a replacement

keatly or humphries I suppose

In the unlikely event that ROG and Sexton get injured. Who would cover the 10 spot ? I'm not talkin 10 minutes cover at the end of a match. If both first choice fly halfs were ruled out of a game who would Ireland start at 10 ? I always assumed it would be wallace but if he doesnt go what choice is left ?

If we were left with having to start Wallace we'd be fucked anyway. He is a very bad international 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

they would send out a replacement

keatly or humphries I suppose

Neither have nearly the experience in the system that Wallace has.

Wallace is a class act and was a big part of our GS team while D'Arcy was out. Well worth his place in the squad. Not a great 10, but I highly doubt he'll be needed there.

well that is a different story but he is the 3rd OH in the team....he is an emergency OH

but he does free up a spot for a more strategic pick for the squad than a 3rd OH that wont see any action

I just wouldn't pick a 3 OH. There is no 3rd choice OH that warrants being brought so I would take the slightly risky move of not having a 3rd OH, freeing up a space for a versatile player who would push for a starting pace like McFadden.

You call up Keatley or Humphreys because you simply cannot go into an important WC match with Wallace at 10. If it was for the Russia or USA match, I'd just stick one of our more level headed backs in at 10. Lets be honest, we'll have no issues against either of them. McFadden travels and takes the kicks from 13 and BOD steps in at 10 with Kearney or whoever stepping in at first receiver a fair bit to use a kicking game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

If ROG and Sexton get injured we can forget about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement