Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If it's only 6 weeks then I don't think it will harm his preperations too much.

Given Jennings' form this season it would be an absolute travesty if he was excluded. Especially for someone like Leamy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

GerM wrote: »
    Luckily, the way our games are scheduled, we have Russia in between Australia and Italy. If it's just a minor knock, the player should be able to shake it off for the Italian game. If it's more than that, I'd cut them loose. We might only have 4 games in the tournament and we can't afford to have someone along who is unavailable for 2 or 3 games.

Correct. There are too many good players who could actually change a game to be bringing someone who might, in fairly unlikely circumstances, be needed.

Interestingly*, Wallace has been to two world cups, that's nine matches, and has played a grand total of three minutes.

*if you're as much of a nerd as me

I'd say Wallace must be the most "benched and not used" player Ireland have ever had.

Which is horrific really, because he can't be a bench option, he should only ever either be starting at 12, or not involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I'd say Wallace must be the most "benched and not used" player Ireland have ever had.

Which is horrific really, because he can't be a bench option, he should only ever either be starting at 12, or not involved.

pipping Ross Nesdale and Emmett Byrne for that title!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

WeeBushy wrote: »

Props - Hayes is our 4th best prop, Buckley has fallen of the radar and Hagan is unproven. I would like to see Hagan given a shot in the warm ups but even that might not be enough as Hayes has a wealth of experience over him which Kidndey would prefer going into the WC I think.

Hayes is certainly not better than Hagan - he is an Ireland legend but is unfortunately well past his best now. The only advantage he has is as a lifter in the lineout for POC, in every other facet of the game Hagan is a superior player now. Solid in the scrum and mobile around the park, carries a lot of ball, and makes a lot of tackles. Any time I've seen Hayes this season, he was resting on a ruck with his arm in the air most of the time.
    Unfortunately I think you're right though, DK will go with experience over youth, fitness and ability. Buckley is just after shoulder surgery so he's probably not an option, but I wouldn't have him ahead of Hagan in a million years anyway.
    Ross > Hagan > Hayes > Buckley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hayes is certainly not better than Hagan - he is an Ireland legend but is unfortunately well past his best now. The only advantage he has is as a lifter in the lineout for POC, in every other facet of the game Hagan is a superior player now. Solid in the scrum and mobile around the park, carries a lot of ball, and makes a lot of tackles. Any time I've seen Hayes this season, he was resting on a ruck with his arm in the air most of the time.
    Unfortunately I think you're right though, DK will go with experience over youth, fitness and ability. Buckley is just after shoulder surgery so he's probably not an option, but I wouldn't have him ahead of Hagan in a million years anyway.
    Ross > Hagan > Hayes > Buckley

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I should have said 4th in the pecking order rather than better. I agree, Hagan is a much better prop than Hayes right now, because Hayes is simply too old, legend that he is. I was making the point (poorly) that Hayes will go over Hagan because he has a lot of experience while Hagan has none at international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Richarz

I wasn't really sure where to put this but I've heard from Rob Kearney himself that hes going to Stormers. Hopefully he'll be fully fit and raring to go by world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Richarz wrote: »
    I wasn't really sure where to put this but I've heard from Rob Kearney himself that hes going to Stormers. Hopefully he'll be fully fit and raring to go by world cup.

He'd want to tell the Stormers that, they're blissfully unaware of the situation by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

He'd want to tell the Stormers that, they're blissfully unaware of the situation by all accounts

really? Knew it wasnt certain but thought they were definitely in discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

EmacB wrote: »
    really? Knew it wasnt certain but thought they were definitely in discussion?

In public they are blissfully unaware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Was reading here that Jennings had surgery on a broken arm sustained against Munster and was likely to be out for 8 weeks.

But the IT have a more up to date piece.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0602/1224298257711.html

RUGBY: THE WORLD Cup hopes of Leinster and Ireland flanker Shane Jennings were raised somewhat yesterday following Tuesday’s operation on a broken arm.

The injury occurred in the final quarter last weekend in Thomond Park against Munster in the Magners League Grand Final.

Jennings, who was part of Leinster’s Heineken Cup-winning side in Cardiff less than two weeks ago, had his right forearm put in plaster after breaking the radius, and it was reported he would likely remain that way for up to eight weeks. However, doctors are now hoping to remove the cast in just four weeks.

That would take the 29-year-old up to the beginning of July before the cast comes off, leaving him a month to strengthen the arm in time for the four-match series of August pre-World Cup Test matches against Scotland, France (twice) and England.

A natural openside whose work sometimes goes unseen, Jennings came into the European final for Kevin McLoughlin and did enough to put his name to the forefront of Ireland coach Declan Kidney’s thoughts.
    The backrow combinations are proving to be one of the most contentious areas of selection.

The Irish squad meet in Carton House in a month from now and Jennings may be there, if not quite up to any contact work. David Wallace, Jamie Heaslip, Seán O’Brien, Stephen Ferris, Denis Leamy, James Coughlan, McLaughlin and Donnacha Ryan, who can also play lock, are all hopeful of a plane ticket to New Zealand.

Jennings has earned nine Irish caps, with his last Test appearance against Australia just short of a year ago in Brisbane.
    “The operation went well and like the rest of the players he has a couple of weeks’ holiday and we’ll see him when he gets back,” said a Leinster spokesman.

In Munster, centre/wing Cian Bohane (Dolphin), backrow Shane Buckley (Garryowen), hookers Duncan Casey (Shannon) and Niall Scannell (Dolphin), prop James Cronin (Highfield), lock/backrow Cathal Flaherty (Cork Constitution) have secured development contracts for the 2011-12 season.

Just 9 caps :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Interestingly, David Wallace (71) has more caps than Heaslip (35), SOB (9), Kev Mcl (1) and Jennings (9) combined.

Leamy (50) almost has more on his own too.

Not sure of the significance but there ya go. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

crisco10 wrote: »
    Interestingly, David Wallace (71) has more caps than Heaslip (35), SOB (9), Kev Mcl (1) and Jennings (9) combined.

Leamy (50) almost has more on his own too.

Not sure of the significance but there ya go. :rolleyes:

Don't mind anyone having more caps then Loughie or SOB but it's criminal that Jennings only has 9. I used to think it was bad that Gleeson had less then 30 but that is taking the biscuit.

I'm not going to get into a Wallace v Jennings/Gleeson debate but there have definitely been times where a more natural 7 would have been very useful in turning a game, we need these kind of guys in our squad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

thats 4 starts and he has come on in 5 games. all since 2007.

we do have alot of competition in the back row for ireland so its not that surprising.

there is only 3 spots so we cant play everyone!

It's actually a testament to Wallace's fitness that Jennings doesn't have more caps tbh.

However, there has been times when a natural openside would've really helped our cause, I don't think we've made any use whatsoever of Jennings. And those days are numbered too, as the game is moving past the groundhogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

As of today, the prognosis for Jennings is much better. He may have the cast off in as little as 4 weeks which would give him a shot as getting some strength back in the arm. The extended squad meets at the begginning of July so if he could be back in some form of training by then he would be back in the reckoning in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/23313.php

Backs (19):

Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster)
    Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
    Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)
    Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)
    Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster)
    Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
    Conor Murray (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
    Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
    Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

Forwards (24):

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    Tony Buckley (Sale Sharks)
    Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    Sean Cronin (Leinster)
    Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
    Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
    John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
    Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
    Shane Jennings (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
    Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
    Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Michael Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    Damien Varley (Garryown/Munster)
    David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
    Brett Wilkinson (Galwegians/Connacht)

Not considered due to injury:
    Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster) – Knee
    Ian Humphries (Ballymena/Ulster) – Shoulder
    Nevin Spence (Ballynahinch/Ulster) – shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I never heard about shaggy's injury.

So, who's NOT there?

Edit - no Ruddock or Dom Ryan - that's that then for them....
    No Toner either

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

durkadurka wrote: »

So, who's NOT there?

Declan Kidney -

"There are players who we have identified as part of the larger Rugby World Cup squad who will not be in the first camp and will be based with their provincial and club fitness staff, but that may change as we go through June and July, so none of that larger group are necessarily out of contention for the final squad”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So, who's NOT there?

TOL by the looks of it.

I don't think we can complain too much about it.

So, who's NOT there?

I just did a quick run through of players who could have held a realistic hope for making this squad. Devin Toner is the only player I could think of who could feel aggrieved.

People will probably say Fionn Carr should have been included but I think there is far too much competition for the outside backs and given that he hasn't featured in previous squads I don't think his selection was ever on the cards.

Happy to see Kearney, Flannery, Murphy and Ferris all named, still a long way to go with regards proving their fitness.

Stev_o wrote: »
    TOL by the looks of it.

Tomas O Leary??? He's been named in the squad.

Stev_o wrote: »
    TOL by the looks of it.

He is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

hsbc wrote: »
    Declan Kidney -

"There are players who we have identified as part of the larger Rugby World Cup squad who will not be in the first camp and will be based with their provincial and club fitness staff, but that may change as we go through June and July, so none of that larger group are necessarily out of contention for the final squad”.

I would guess that only injury would bring any newcomers in at this stage.

Like say we lost one or two sevens for example.

Marcus Horan?????:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

That's Shaggy's chances gone I reckon. A shame for him and Ireland, he would have been a great reserve to have.

Dom Ryan, Ruddock, James Coughlan, Devin Toner and Dan Tuohy all CUT!

Hd a feeling Marcus Horan would squeeze in there...

19 backs picked, 5 of which are SHs so assuming 3 of those go that means that of the rest only 3 will be cut, depending on his backs/fowards split.

2 of Murphy, Jones, Kearney and Duffy will go. Depending on fitness, but my guess is Kearney and Jones.

The last place will be a shoot out between Wallace, Trimble and McFadden imo. However Wallace is assured to go so Trimble vs. McFadden. I'd go with McFadden (and would pick Trimble and leave Wallace but that's never going to happen).

I think the SHs are going to be Reddan, Murray and O'Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Going on those capped in the past year and those that were tipped as having an outside chance....

Not there (and not due to being injured): Dan Tuohy, Jamie Hagan, Rhys Ruddock, John Muldoon, Johnny O'Connor, Devin Toner, Johne Murphy, James Coughlan, Denis Hurley, Niall Ronan, James Downey, Roger Wilson, Chris Henry, Ian Keatley.

• Advertisement

hsbc wrote: »
    Declan Kidney -

So basically this squad announcement is useless then..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement