Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

The truth of the matter is that if we were forced to play Paddy Wallace at 10, we'd be no-hopers.

Paddy Wallace is an exceptional 12, but hasn't been in great form this season. He's almost the "anti-D'Arcy" in terms of how he plays as a 12, and it's useful for us not to have to play the exact same type of players in every position, as it allows teams to study us and figure out how to beat us.

He is a 12, an inside centre, a first centre, a second five-eight and finally, a 12. He should wear no other number, or play no other position for Ireland. If we ever get to the stage where we ask him to play 10, we're in serious trouble and we've got one foot on the plane going home.

It's horribly unfair on him to even treat him like a 3rd choice OH too, I reckon that he (in private only) say that he doesn't like playing OH, and that it doesn't suit his game. Paddy Wallace is best when he's taking the ball that bit deeper than an OH can, and finding the space outside him by putting in a creative pass to give someone outside him space. He struggles at first receiver because there is a split second less to make a decision, and the decision is usually straightforward, effectively putting a leash on Wallace's ability to find the right pass and be a bit creative.

I have a lot of time for Wallace, but only at inside centre. If we want to bring 3 OHs to NZ (which I don't believe we need), then we need to look at Keatley and iHumph and let Wallace concentrate on getting back into the game at inside centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Neither have nearly the experience in the system that Wallace has.

Wallace is a class act and was a big part of our GS team while D'Arcy was out. Well worth his place in the squad. Not a great 10, but I highly doubt he'll be needed there.

I don't think he is to be honest. He is a very good 12 but is never going to displace D'Arcy and is not capable of playing anywhere else (OH included). McFadden is also an excellent 12 but can also cover 11, 13, 14. No contest IMO.

That said, I 100% believe that Wallace will not only be in the squad, he'll be wearing #22 against Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Well said Emmet, if he is to be picked it should be on the merits of a 12 and a 12 alone. I'm also a big of of Wallace at 12. Unfortunately he hasn't been in great form, and offers no versatility. Therefore I would pick McFadden who is in form and can play 11, 12, 13, 14. Versatility is invaluable in a 30 man squad and unfortunately Wallace's form does not warrant a place over an in form versatile player.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

McFadden is also an excellent 12

McFadden hasn't played well at 12 in a while. When was the last time he started there and did well? Sarries I think?

Not that I don't think McFadden is a fantastic player, it's just that Wallace and D'Arcy are the only truly experienced 12s in the squad right now and I do think we'll need both of them there, especially considering Wallace "can" cover 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

McFadden hasn't played well at 12 in a while. When was the last time he started there and did well? Sarries I think?

Not that I don't think McFadden is a fantastic player, it's just that Wallace and D'Arcy are the only truly experienced 12s in the squad right now and I do think we'll need both of them there, especially considering Wallace "can" cover 10.

McFadden had a blinder at 12 against Ulster in the ML on 26 April.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

smurphy29 wrote: »
    McFadden had a blinder at 12 against Ulster in the ML on 26 April.

Think he was man of the match agains the Scarlets playing 12 in March also.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

GerM wrote: »
    Think he was man of the match agains the Scarlets playing 12 in March also.
    Indeed he was, and he played 12 in the game away to Dragons that month too. Think the myth has been debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Can injured players be replaced? If so if ROG or Sexton gets injured they can call up a flyhalf.

In the next world cup we should have a few more options of players who can play 10 and in other positions. Look at the Australian squad, they've more flexibility in terms of players being able to play in more than one position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Yes they can. NZ is very far away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

durkadurka wrote: »
    Yes they can. NZ is very far away though.

matches are a week apart though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Guys, what's the deal with Ferris. has anyone got any more info on the incident. I really hope he'll travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

incident?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Skunkle wrote: »
    In the unlikely event that ROG and Sexton get injured. Who would cover the 10 spot ? I'm not talkin 10 minutes cover at the end of a match. If both first choice fly halfs were ruled out of a game who would Ireland start at 10 ?

Who the hell cares? If Sexton and ROG are out injured for any important games our world cup is over anyway and if they're out against USA or Russia it won't matter who's at 10.

Also, I think Wallace is a good 12. But if Kidney didn't put him on the pitch during the 6N when D'Arcy was playing like a complete drain then he's not going to see any gametime there either. Complete waste of a player spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Who the hell cares? If Sexton and ROG are out injured for any important games our world cup is over anyway and if they're out against USA or Russia it won't matter who's at 10.

Also, I think Wallace is a good 12. But if Kidney didn't put him on the pitch during the 6N when D'Arcy was playing like a complete drain then he's not going to see any gametime there either. Complete waste of a player spot.

Well I care seeing as I asked the question. Its not impossible for two players to get injured in the same position.

It was a rhetorical question. My implication was merely that if both players get injured it doesn't really matter who plays 10. We'll beat the USA and Russia regardless and quite probably lose against Italy, Aus or SA regardless.

Bringing Wallace on the basis of his ability to cover 10 (which is woefully limited anyway) is completely silly. Course it's still going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

It was a rhetorical question. My implication was merely that if both players get injured it doesn't really matter who plays 10. We'll beat the USA and Russia regardless and quite probably lose against Italy, Aus or SA regardless.

Bringing Wallace on the basis of his ability to cover 10 (which is woefully limited anyway) is completely silly. Course it's still going to happen.

Apologies. And I agree.

When is the deadline for announcing the 50 man preliminary squad and can people be added after that? (i.e. is it completely pointless or not?)

Also, what's the Ireland XV vs. Connacht thing all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flipp101

very disappointed james coughlan hasn't been included in the extended squad

flipp101 wrote: »

Why? Stephen Ferris, Sean O'Brien, Jamie heaslip, Shane Jennings, David Wallace are all ahead of him in the pecking order. And it could be argued that Dominic Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, and John Muldoon are too.

The guy is basically just an 8. I would be very confused if he was included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

flipp101 wrote: »

Surprised that neither him or Roger Wilson were included. After Heaslip, we don't really have anyone who can control the ball at the back of a scrum. I wouldn't expect either of them to travel but, they should be kept involved in case of injury.

On another note, it was great to see that Nevin Spence was noted as someone who wasn't included due to injury. It shows that his form hasn't gone completely unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

looks like sexton will be irelands no.1 at WC...the only wory i have is that his kicking wil go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Joseph... wrote: »
    looks like sexton will be irelands no.1 at WC...the only wory i have is that his kicking wil go again...

This is why they generally tend to bring more that one outhalf.

And Paddy Wallace:D

Joseph... wrote: »

why? The quad injury is gone, his kicking has been nothing short of excellent in the last 4 months, how could you doubt his ability to kick the points? Did you see the Heineken Cup Final?

Sexton's kicking has been an incredible asset this season, being worried about it is bizarre.

It's akin to saying "I just worry that Reddan will get knocked out in the first minute of a game again".

Would be interested to see what they'd do if Heaslip got injured (though I hope it doesn't happen!!). SOB to 8 is the obvious move but I'd like to think Wilson would be called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

jolley123 wrote: »
    Why? Stephen Ferris, Sean O'Brien, Jamie heaslip, Shane Jennings, David Wallace are all ahead of him in the pecking order. And it could be argued that Dominic Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, and John Muldoon are too.

The guy is basically just an 8. I would be very confused if he was included.

James Coughlin must have been very close to a place. He is mainly an 8 but can play 6 aswell. He was Munster's player of the year this year due to his great form. He is definitly ahead of Ryan,Ruddock and Muldoon after the last 6 months.

Would be interested to see what they'd do if Heaslip got injured (though I hope it doesn't happen!!). SOB to 8 is the obvious move but I'd like to think Wilson would be called up.

Can't see it happening. SOB would go 8 and then any of the others would come to join the squad.

Heaslip is the only person who can command a role in the back row whilst only able to play one position. (Jennings could well be close)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

James Coughlin must have been very close to a place. He is mainly an 8 but can play 6 aswell. He was Munster's player of the year this year due to his great form. He is definitly ahead of Ryan,Ruddock and Muldoon after the last 6 months.

Why? He's not that good.

Can't see it happening. SOB would go 8 and then any of the others would come to join the squad.

Heaslip is the only person who can command a role in the back row whilst only able to play one position. (Jennings could well be close)

I agree SOB would go to 8, but that would still leave us with just the one 8. I guess Leamy would be next in line :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Diom wrote: »
    Why? He's not that good.

Clearly you havent watched Munster's matches this year when he has been easily there best player by a distance. Very high consistantly performances. Was absolutely superb in Munster's 24-23 victory over Leinster. Do i think he will get a place in the squad but i do think he is ahead of the rest who are looking to get a place in the squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement